S. Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: S. Thornton

If there is a Boston bar owner on this board ..please offer Shawn a job as a doorman ....I am willing to pay his first 4 weeks of salaries..but keep him away feom the team 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the record, I don't believe I have started one thread this season about the Skating Clown of Boston.

[/QUOTE]

For the record , I believe you've already started enough threads on this topic to fill a lifetime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

For the record, I don't believe I have started one thread this season about the Skating Clown of Boston.

[/QUOTE]

For the record , I believe you've already started enough threads on this topic to fill a lifetime.

[/QUOTE]

Who started the Orpuke thread? Do you remember?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Lets get rid of Thornton and we win the cup, guaranteed , right Stan?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Well?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

The rest of you Nimrods. ...Eat it!

[/QUOTE]

Why do you got to be like that.  So much anger lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

The Red Sox may lose today, all because of Thornton.  His malevolent affect, or bad vibes are far reaching. As long as we are continuing to beat a dead hors.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

Has he won a fight this year?

[/QUOTE]

He don't win many anymore, but as long as he shows up for a few and can play 8 minutes or so on a pretty effective 4th line, he's in the lineup. Next year maybe not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mattbs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I appreciate what Thornton brings to the fourth line.  All I am saying is with the East clinched,  give him a rest and try someone else. If we get lucky we get a better option if not he will be rested for the playoffs.  

[/QUOTE]

What does he brings to the 4th line ?.????. If there is one player that can jeopardize the BRUINS chances to win the Stanley Cup...it is Shawn Thornton ...please open your eyes and wake up ...comes the Stanley Cup final it'll be too late to realize it .....

[/QUOTE]

If you're asking this queston, you're not gonna understand the answer.  What's the answer? It's in some of the posts above.  Or see my old posts on Thornton.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Has he won a fight this year?

I don't think he won many since Scott gave it to him.  Plus there wont be any fighting in the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure it was the Scott fight.  May have been when Marky Mark knocked him out with the mic stand in "Ted".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I liken Thornton to Jonny Gomes. Not much of a player but reputedly a good locker room guy and we all saw the role chemistry played last year for the Sox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I liken Thornton to Jonny Gomes. Not much of a player but reputedly a good locker room guy and we all saw the role chemistry played last year for the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't see one second of it.  Couldn't care less about the Boston Marketing Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

He's a 4th line RW who plays 6-8 mins a game!  Does he play his designated "role" (and I don't mean just the Goon Duties)?  Why are so many against ST?

What I've seen on the Merlot line from him is a guy who's effective - as a 4th liner - at forechecking, puck possession, and keeping the other 4th line backed in its own zone.  He's not here to score goals, although he DID figure into a series swinging Game 3 W against the NYR last season.

Who do you sit him for?  Caron?  The Most Uninteresting Player In The World?

Yeah, I want to see Spooner get ice time, but you've got 3 left shots there...It's the FOURTH line, folks!

To me a "Skating Clown" is someone who doesn't earn his bloated contract.   Let's talk Semin, Leino, Brad Richards, Heatly - any of these guys looking like "Skating Heroes?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Can't tell you how many times I find myself shaking my head that the Bruins have given the other team nothing all game...and then the 4th line gets caught out against the top line on the other team and gives up a goal.  Sometimes it's a key goal.  Sometimes, it swings the mo'.  It happens so often, I think "they must be -20 on the season", but then I look...and they're pretty much exactly what they always are: a little better than break-even.

I'll say this about Thornton: he tries to make plays.  He likes the stretch lob leading Paille.  He'll try to dance off the boards.  He shoots when he thinks he has a shot.  He's not a prototypical skating clown who runs around trying to inflict punishment with massive hits.  He plays like a mid-to-low skill energy line guy most of the time who fights because that's his job description.  Bit like Campbell, though Campbell has better hockey instincts and waaaay worse fighting instincts.

Betcha a nickel he's back next year, too.  As long as he can play the way he does and CJ wants a player to take care of the routine fighting duties (that is, the dance of tame bears), he'll keep getting one and two year extensions.  Oh, and also because it will frustrate Stanley.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'll be surprised if the B's don't make another offer to ST for next year.  In fact, I'd be shocked if there wouldn't be a few other teams that would gladly offer up 1.5 for ST's services next year.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

You've got to have at least some appreciation for the dynamics of a team. They don't give out trophy's for the best roster, or the fastest skaters. There is no most skilled 4th line award.

You win because you have the best TEAM. Sound cliche ? ...it's not. Thornton is a leader. Like it or not he's a leader on this team. Nobody knows what is said at practice, in the locker room, on the bench, on the ice, during time outs, to the other team...etc. Thornton never stops.

I'll guarantee you that there isn't anyone in the Bruins system that can provide that role better than Thornton. I'll even go as far as saying he would be very difficult to replace. He's valuable to this organization.

Also, what many aren't getting is that you don't replace this spot with skill. One is, that does not fill the role that this spot is designated for. Two is, if you have that much skill, you ain't wasting on the 4th line. So, Spooner for example, who is obviously way more talented, can NEVER fill that role.

There's a few legit concerns that you might have for this current club - The last spot on the 4th line isn't even close to being one of them, and you'd actually be hard pressed to find someone who is more of a perfect fit for this team than S.Thornton -

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

With ST suspension this year we got to see how the team would be without him. We have some players in our system that can take his place for sure. But with ST he brings many intangibles to the team even if he is not on the ice. He is a leader; a motivator. He is revered amongst the NHL brotheren. He plays his position very well. Goes to the net plays the corners and always shoots in a way that can cause havoc in front of the net. Overall his play does not hurt the bruins. His presence keeps the other team minding there p’s and q’s more than you think. For this playoff, ST is on the ice for me. He has had two big rests already this year, he does not need another. I would give him another year no problem. But I think with next year’s Cap options we may have to let him walk unless he takes a hometown discount.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You've got to have at least some appreciation for the dynamics of a team. They don't give out trophy's for the best roster, or the fastest skaters. There is no most skilled 4th line award.

You win because you have the best TEAM. Sound cliche ? ...it's not. Thornton is a leader. Like it or not he's a leader on this team. Nobody knows what is said at practice, in the locker room, on the bench, on the ice, during time outs, to the other team...etc. Thornton never stops.

I'll guarantee you that there isn't anyone in the Bruins system that can provide that role better than Thornton. I'll even go as far as saying he would be very difficult to replace. He's valuable to this organization.

Also, what many aren't getting is that you don't replace this spot with skill. One is, that does not fill the role that this spot is designated for. Two is, if you have that much skill, you ain't wasting on the 4th line. So, Spooner for example, who is obviously way more talented, can NEVER fill that role.

There's a few legit concerns that you might have for this current club - The last spot on the 4th line isn't even close to being one of them, and you'd actually be hard pressed to find someone who is more of a perfect fit for this team than S.Thornton -

[/QUOTE]

Good post! I agree with everything said and as Steve said it won't surprise me at all that ST is back for a 2 yr extension and good for him.he's not the biggest,baddest mother in the NHL but he is part of one,if not the best 4th line in the league.He loses fights,so what,he doesn't lose them all and he's willing to go with all comers.The thought of Caron trundling around on the 4th line gives me shivers and putting Spooner there would be a waste of his time and the B's.ST is a member of the 4th line,the 4th line isn't going anywhere,enough threads already.Unless he takes a shot at Orprick again of course.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great stuff JW!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

ST does exactly as he should and performs the role expected and required of him. If a 4th line winger is the reason the B's can't win then there is something wrong with this team.

Breaking up that line is not going to happen...nor should it.

Sorry, Stan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kind of explains it all. 

Let's just say Caron plays 4th line mins in the place of Thornton in the playoffs , is the 4th line better ?  will they score more ?  will they get scored less on ? maybe , maybe not.  Status quo here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One of the things JW's post make me think about is the "street cred" aspect of what Thornton brings to the clown spot.  Can you imagine if, say, Bobby Robins or Tony Camara were to skate by the opposition bench saying "you're all fair game now, you're all fair game?"  Some AHL palooka or some rookie with a rep for getting suspended in the OHL for dangerous hits tries that and Chara cooly leans over and says "shut yer hap, rook."  And if he keeps it up, it's highly likely that the other team's goon just keeps going after him until he's out of the game.  Same with the reported Seguin incident - if Camara tells Seguin he's going to beat the crap out of him, Seguin laughs at him.  If Camara goes to back it up, again, he's facing Lucic or Chara saying hey, rook?  Stripes? No?  Then beat it.

Maybe all Thornton is is talk now - talk and the occasional highlight reel goal against the Panthers - but as long as he has credibility, that might be all he really needs to keep plugging away.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't tell you how many times I find myself shaking my head that the Bruins have given the other team nothing all game...and then the 4th line gets caught out against the top line on the other team and gives up a goal.  Sometimes it's a key goal.  Sometimes, it swings the mo'.  It happens so often, I think "they must be -20 on the season", but then I look...and they're pretty much exactly what they always are: a little better than break-even.

I'll say this about Thornton: he tries to make plays.  He likes the stretch lob leading Paille.  He'll try to dance off the boards.  He shoots when he thinks he has a shot.  He's not a prototypical skating clown who runs around trying to inflict punishment with massive hits.  He plays like a mid-to-low skill energy line guy most of the time who fights because that's his job description.  Bit like Campbell, though Campbell has better hockey instincts and waaaay worse fighting instincts.

Betcha a nickel he's back next year, too.  As long as he can play the way he does and CJ wants a player to take care of the routine fighting duties (that is, the dance of tame bears), he'll keep getting one and two year extensions.  Oh, and also because it will frustrate Stanley.

[/QUOTE]

Perfectly stated.  Great break down.