S. Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jester the Chester. Show Jester the Chester's posts

Re: S. Thornton

Fellas, come on.  Be reasonable.  If you sit Thornton who is going to skate around, flapping his arms for 10 minutes a game and accomplish exactly nothing?  There is no downside to sitting this glorified goon.

Would be far better to dress Spooner and unleash his speed.  What's Thornton going to give you in the playoffs other than cheapshots and dumb penalties?

No brainer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Listen.. I like ST and to me he plays his role perfectly in the regular season.  He's tough, always gives 100%, hits, and fights the fights that takes the pressure off of a Lucic or Chara.  

However, in the playoffs we don't need fighters so what do we have left from ST?  Energy, effort and grit.  My question is can we try someone in these last few games that has energy, effort, grit, speed and maybe can score a few goals?  Isn't it worth a try?  If it doesn't work bring back ST in the playoffs and at least he will be rested.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Listen.. I like ST and to me he plays his role perfectly in the regular season.  He's tough, always gives 100%, hits, and fights the fights that takes the pressure off of a Lucic or Chara.  

However, in the playoffs we don't need fighters so what do we have left from ST?  Energy, effort and grit.  My question is can we try someone in these last few games that has energy, effort, grit, speed and maybe can score a few goals?  Isn't it worth a try?  If it doesn't work bring back ST in the playoffs and at least he will be rested.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty hard to argue "anything" isn't worth a try.  What's very arguable is your logic.

Your assumption is that we have a current problem with the 4th line.  It needs to score more.  Even more ridiculous is the assumption he needs rest.  None of those are real.

The 4th line is arguably playing better than any other 4th line in pro hockey, and better than other recent Bruin 4th line combinations.  Based on the above, it would appear you favour Spooner, as he's about the only other available Bruin with the skill you're referring to.  Spooner isn't a great energy line fit at all.  Paille would be better, but then you mess up your 3rd line.

It's doubtfull ST will play every single playoff game, if the B's go deep, but sitting him will be for a specific game by game reason.

Over an 82 game pre season(with 100 or so practices thrown in), the B's have been about the cream of the leagues crop. 

Basically, if they merely continue to keep doing, what they've been doing all along(win the most games).............they will win the Stanley Cup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

#1 in wins/points

#3 in goals per game (only .02 from #1)

#2 in goals against average (only .04 from #1)

#3 in PP %

#8 in PK (blame the German)

#1 in 5v5 goal differential

#2 winning % when scoring first

#3 winning % when trailing first

#1 when leading after 2 periods (95% win rate)

#6 winning % when outshooting their opponent

#1 winning % when being outshot by their opponent

...and you want to "rest" a 6-8 minute per game, 4th-line grinder who knows his role, relishes it, and won't ever complain about minutes or linemates or anything else...for more goals. 

Let me ask you this: who would you play as the 4th line LW? I mean in the league? Brandon Bollig? Travis Moen? Brenden Morrow (who probably isn't a real 4th liner)? 

There aren't that many 4th line LWs in the league who provide more scoring than Thornton. And I'm not saying he's a goal-scoring savant, but come on people. Why the ST crusade?!?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

[/QUOTE]

#1 in wins/points

#3 in PP %

...and you want to "rest" a 6-8 minute per game, 4th-line grinder who knows his role, relishes it, and won't ever complain about minutes or linemates or anything else...for more goals. 

Let me ask you this: who would you play as the 4th line LW? I mean in the league? Brandon Bollig? Travis Moen? Brenden Morrow (who probably isn't a real 4th liner)? 

There aren't that many 4th line LWs in the league who provide more scoring than Thornton. And I'm not saying he's a goal-scoring savant, but come on people. Why the ST crusade?!?

[/QUOTE]

Dito that.... Wow # 3 on the Power Play... gotta love it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

#1 in wins/points

#3 in PP %

[/QUOTE]

Resting can also mean healing.  8 minutes can include a fight where he punches a guy in the helmet numerous times or gets punched.   Also I am not sure he is completely healed from damages incurred from previous fights.  The best forward in providence can't play LW on the fourth line?  We are not asking a forward to play goalie here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets get rid of Thornton and we win the cup, guaranteed , right Stan?

[/QUOTE]

RIGHT ON.....in fact my prediction is now : if PC & CN do not do a move to take him out if the line up ...the BRUINS wont pass the RedWings...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Jester the Chester's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fellas, come on.  Be reasonable.  If you sit Thornton who is going to skate around, flapping his arms for 10 minutes a game and accomplish exactly nothing?  There is no downside to sitting this glorified goon.

Would be far better to dress Spooner and unleash his speed.  What's Thornton going to give you in the playoffs other than cheapshots and dumb penalties?

No brainer.

[/QUOTE]

Jester is honest and not a liar like most of the fans in here

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Remember when you thought PC was emailing you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Fourth liner Sean Thornton was the reason  the Bruins did not score a goal last night,  If he is not removed from the lineup the Bruins will lose in this round.  If he is removed Bruins win the cup. Teams with non all star players at the bottom of the roster always lose. With all star wings on the fourth line teams always win.  Thornton is dragging down the first and second lines.  He should sacrifice himself and quit for the good of the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to Jester the Chester's comment:

No brainer.

He doesn't flap his arms for a full ten minutes. If he did, his two Stanley Cup rings might fly off his fingers. Perhaps some adjustments will be made do to injuries, match-ups etc. I'll let the coaches make the line-up decisions. As a fan you must realize the Cup run is not for the weak at heart.

"One Riot...One Statie"!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fourth liner Sean Thornton was the reason  the Bruins did not score a goal last night,  If he is not removed from the lineup the Bruins will lose in this round.  If he is removed Bruins win the cup. Teams with non all star players at the bottom of the roster always lose. With all star wings on the fourth line teams always win.  Thornton is dragging down the first and second lines.  He should sacrifice himself and quit for the good of the team.

[/QUOTE]

You got this right ...what if u have a 16 cylinders car but it runs on 15 all the time....no problem you dont really see a big difference until you have to use your full power and you realize that u cant run on 15 cylinders all the time....why sacrifice a roster spot all the time ..the BRUINS have a great team but we need all 16 cylinders in the playoffs ...is that so hard to understand ?? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

monomania

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

So Thornton was the problem last night?

God, man, get a life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

As far as I'm concerned ST & his line was one of the better ones. He had more shots than Igina & Lucic did in half the ice time. I found as it always is the 4th line is the one that got the B's back on track after a dismal 3 shifts in a row. There was 2 separate occasions where ST helped the B's get the puck out after an icing. Babcock threw his 1st line out there for the draw & ST was the one who got the play deep into Detroit's zone. So, I have no idea what the fawk Ryan Spooner would do in this situation. 4th liners who score are bonus. It's not their primary focus. The focus is to create some pressure down low, not get scored on while the production lines can get some rest. The 4th line did exactly what's expected of them. Ryan Spooner isn't going to be a 4th liner. For the record. I thought last nite was Jordan Caron's best game of the season.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

here's hoping PC signs Thornton for one more year....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

I'll say cheers to that! Unless PC can grab Anthony Peluso from the Jets. I think he could be a younger version of ST.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll say cheers to that! Unless PC can grab Anthony Peluso from the Jets. I think he could be a younger version of ST.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

or a 50-goal scorer, which is what Stanley thinks is needed on that fourth line....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Remember when you thought the Bruins were going to lose to Toronto and spent the majority of the series crying about it on here?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

or a 50-goal scorer, which is what Stanley thinks is needed on that fourth line....

[/QUOTE]

Who's Stanley? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

If ever ST signs one more year I will take 1 year off this board...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If ever ST signs one more year I will take 1 year off this board...

[/QUOTE]

Another broken promise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Funny enough I am watching the Blue Jackets game and I cant find one single player slower than ST.....GO FIGURE ..the BRUINS = the best team with probably one of the top 3 slowest player in the NHL ...I see Parros and Scott being slower ....its like driving a Mercedes with used hub caps ...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

The top two lines combined for a total of 7 shots and a -3, but a few people want to blame the loss on the 4th line RW?

Thornton had as one less shot, than Iginla, Lucic, Marchand, & Riley Smith, combined, and he is the reason they lost?

I really wonder about the sanity of some of the posters on this board.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Remember when you thought the Bruins were going to lose to Toronto and spent the majority of the series crying about it on here?

[/QUOTE]

Show me that... I didn't post a single thing for Game 7 as I was out of town. But don't let facts stop you from being a fawk.

Sections
Shortcuts