Salary Cap and Horton

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Salary Cap and Horton

Not a problem.  With the Savard LTIR relief, the Bruins could add Lecavalier and Ovechkin and still be okay under the cap when Horton returns.  That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one, and there is no way they are bringing in that kind of salary in any case.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It does limit their ability to add willy-nilly, but there's not much of a market nor desire for that anyway. The true problem is that Horton's issue puts on hold any real talk on extensions for the likes of Kelly and Rask before the deadline...they will have to wait for the offseason in order to provide flexibility here this week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

How much longer can they or will they have to keep Savard on LTIR?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Salary Cap and Horton:
    [QUOTE]How much longer can they or will they have to keep Savard on LTIR?
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Until June 2017 if they need/want to. If he's not good enough to play, there's no reason they wouldn't leave him on LTIR.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salary Cap and Horton : Until June 2017 if they need/want to. If he's not good enough to play, there's no reason they wouldn't leave him on LTIR.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

That's gonna get awkward if Savvy never comes back, but won't retire...

Cuz that would basically mean he's just collecting checks, which I can't imagine would make JJ happy...

Could get really awkward...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What's a Sturmie ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Salary Cap and Horton : That's gonna get awkward if Savvy never comes back, but won't retire... Cuz that would basically mean he's just collecting checks, which I can't imagine would make JJ happy... Could get really awkward...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

He's not costing JJ one dime. The insurance policy is paying for it, not the Bruins. He could stay on LTIR for the rest of his contract, get all his cheques, then retire, and the Bruins would not be out one cent. If I was himthat's what I'd do, and if I was Bruins management, that's what I would encourage him to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

A while back, there was a thread discussion whether the next CBA would have more clemency options for teams carrying bad contracts.  I don't think it likely for the Gomez's of the league, but I could see something for situations outside of a team's control.

Allowing players forced to retire due to injury to keep collecting insurance payments while having their cap hit removed seems like a sensible win-win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The LTIR provisions could use some tweaking too.  You'll notice Savard is not on LTIR - his number is still counted against the cap.  I'm pretty sure this is because you carry a penalty over to the following season when you use LTIR exemption dollars - you can borrow against the future to go over the cap by the LTIR amount, but you have to pay it back.  Just like the bonus rule.  So the Bruins will not put Savard on LTIR until they need the cap space he represents.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]The LTIR provisions could use some tweaking too.  You'll notice Savard is not on LTIR - his number is still counted against the cap.  I'm pretty sure this is because you carry a penalty over to the following season when you use LTIR exemption dollars - you can borrow against the future to go over the cap by the LTIR amount, but you have to pay it back.  Just like the bonus rule.  So the Bruins will not put Savard on LTIR until they need the cap space he represents.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    I don't remember that being that way explicitly, but using LTIR relief to go over the cap does expose a team to penalties for bonuses that they wouldn't face if the player simply weren't on the roster.  I think that is part of what happened the year Rask's performance incurred a penalty.  The Bruins weren't able to use LTIR to offset the extra salary they took on with Seidenberg and Satan, so the bonuses put them over the top.

Keep in mind a team does not get any LTIR relief unless they have $0 in cap space banked, and then the relief only exactly counters their overage.  A tweak to allow it to cover bonus penalties only incurred because of LTIR relief mechanics would be nice.