Savard declared unfit to play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Savard declared unfit to play

Well, Im glad he/they are shutting it down.  I just hope the guy is getting the help he needs. 

I honestly, HONESTLY hope Cooke gets hit by a truck while crossing the street in the very near future.  He is a complete dirt-bag and the league dropped the ball on this one.  If he throws one suspect hit, I think the league needs to close him down for a full season, period, end of story.  The guy is trying to kill someone out there, and nearly succeeding.  I wish only pain and suffering for him.  He is a shitbag and doesnt deserve any good in his life, let alone to be playing in the NHL making millions of dollars.  I hope he gets his REAL SOON!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Two things. Savard is definitely done. And, given that, I hope the Bruins do the right thing, encouraging him to retire and offering him a job behind the bench. The hockey mind is still there even thought the body won't let him play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Savard declared unfit to play:
    [QUOTE]Two things. Savard is definitely done. And, given that, I hope the Bruins do the right thing, encouraging him to retire and offering him a job behind the bench. The hockey mind is still there even thought the body won't let him play.
    Posted by ksp57[/QUOTE]

why is the right thing talking him into retirement?

This has come upa handful of times, its not the right thing, its the selfish thing.. He can't work at all, he got hurt doing his job, why on earth would he leave all this money contractually owed to him, and gauranteed?? 

If you got hurt doing your job, would you retire for the good of the company so they dont have to keep paying you??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Well, Im glad he/they are shutting it down.  I just hope the guy is getting the help he needs.  I honestly, HONESTLY hope Cooke gets hit by a truck while crossing the street in the very near future.  He is a complete dirt-bag and the league dropped the ball on this one.  If he throws one suspect hit, I think the league needs to close him down for a full season, period, end of story.  The guy is trying to kill someone out there, and nearly succeeding.  I wish only pain and suffering for him.  He is a shitbag and doesnt deserve any good in his life, let alone to be playing in the NHL making millions of dollars.  I hope he gets his REAL SOON!
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    I don't, he has a family. No man deserves that. He does deserve to get the crap kicked out of him on the ice though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

If this happened in "the real world", given the severity of Savards injury, what do you think would happen?  He would spend time behind bars, thats what, plus pay ain and suffering, his medical bills, lost wages, etc.  He isnt, hasnt and wont be punished in any way, shape or form for his action against Savard.  And Cooke has a family, big deal.  So does Savard.  Except his family will now have to deal with his illness for the rest of his life because of Cookes action.  It will impede on their happiness and the things they might have done together because Savard will never be right again, EVER!  He will more than likely develop Alzheimer's at an early age and his family will then have to deal with that.  Cooke essentially took away their lives and livelihood.  It might sound extreme, but as one who has suffered a number of serious concussions and illnesses related to it, I can tell you it can and does take away peoples lives.  Cooke essentially became a truck running over Savard, I only hope for the same in return.  Its the only way these dirtbags will get it.  And Cooke IS a dirtbag, no denying that.  He has no right playing in the same league as guys like Savard or Crosby.  Do you REALLY want to watch Cooke or Steckel play instead of Savard & Crosby?!?!?!

PS:  I just noticed your avatar is a photo of a murdered.  Im probably talking to a wall here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]If this happened in "the real world", given the severity of Savards injury, what do you think would happen?  He would spend time behind bars, thats what, plus pay ain and suffering, his medical bills, lost wages, etc.  He isnt, hasnt and wont be punished in any way, shape or form for his action against Savard.  And Cooke has a family, big deal.  So does Savard.  Except his family will now have to deal with his illness for the rest of his life because of Cookes action.  It will impede on their happiness and the things they might have done together because Savard will never be right again, EVER!  He will more than likely develop Alzheimer's at an early age and his family will then have to deal with that.  Cooke essentially took away their lives and livelihood.  It might sound extreme, but as one who has suffered a number of serious concussions and illnesses related to it, I can tell you it can and does take away peoples lives.  Cooke essentially became a truck running over Savard, I only hope for the same in return.  Its the only way these dirtbags will get it.  And Cooke IS a dirtbag, no denying that.  He has no right playing in the same league as guys like Savard or Crosby.  Do you REALLY want to watch Cooke or Steckel play instead of Savard & Crosby?!?!?! PS:  I just noticed your avatar is a photo of a murdered.  Im probably talking to a wall here.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    It didn't happen in the real world, it happened in the rink. Sorry I don't wish death upon someone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard declared unfit to play : It didn't happen in the real world, it happened in the rink. Sorry I don't wish death upon someone.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, there is  a risk involved when you take the millions.. That said, campbell weaseled out of making the correct call.. Nothing in hockey ever made me madder then his claims that he couldn't suspend cooke for intent to injure cause he hadnt broken any league rules..

Nope Campbell.. Intent to injure means if he intentionally hurt him, you can suspend him, if that rule required an "elbow" etc.. we wouldnt have an intent to ingure rule, we'd simply have elbowing and a suspension...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard declared unfit to play : I agree with this, there is  a risk involved when you take the millions.. That said, campbell weaseled out of making the correct call.. Nothing in hockey ever made me madder then his claims that he couldn't suspend cooke for intent to injure cause he hadnt broken any league rules.. Nope Campbell.. Intent to injure means if he intentionally hurt him, you can suspend him, if that rule required an "elbow" etc.. we wouldnt have an intent to ingure rule, we'd simply have elbowing and a suspension...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    I'm not saying I'm fine with Cooke's actions at all. I think it should be dealt with on the ice. By hitting him every time he has the puck and making his "hockey" life miserable every time the B's play the Penguins. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Yeah, because that really makes up for it.

So Bertuzzi got a bum deal for breaking Moorse neck then, huh.  And Simon trying to step on Ruutu and getting 30 games wasnt right either.  Whats it going to take guys?  There is a line you dont cross whether its in the rink or not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Bigvig,
    nothing in society is eye for an eye.. Cooke should have been suspended for the season, or something severe, his fine should have been huge with all the money going to the brain injury society or something, and he should be required to do commuity service.. But this happened on the rink, in the course of play.. Much much worse has happened in the NHL and gone unpunished.. Eddy Shore comes to mind, and him and ace bailey were able to put things behind them and move on (atleast in the public eye) and bailey never played again.  And he certainly didnt have $28m still owed to him..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard declared unfit to play : why is the right thing talking him into retirement? This has come upa handful of times, its not the right thing, its the selfish thing.. He can't work at all, he got hurt doing his job, why on earth would he leave all this money contractually owed to him, and gauranteed??  If you got hurt doing your job, would you retire for the good of the company so they dont have to keep paying you??
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Just one note: It's not the Bruins paying him, it's the insurance. So no, he will not retire until his contract is up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I don't know the technicalities of that, I assumre your right jus tlike you or me his "employer provided" long term disability is paying him..

But regardless why is he leaving money on the table.. He made hs living playing hockey, got hurt playing hockey, and is still owed a ton of money.. Anyone saying he shoudl retire is just looking at clearing his money from the cap..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

His money is clear from the cap if he doesn't play and is put on LTIR. That's hardly a concern.
    People are trying to say "As much as we loved you as a player, Savvy, it's in your best interest to not step on the ice as a hockey player again".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]His money is clear from the cap if he doesn't play and is put on LTIR. That's hardly a concern. People are trying to say "As much as we loved you as a player, Savvy, it's in your best interest to not step on the ice as a hockey player again".
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

that only becomes a concern when he is cleared to play.. if he retires now, he forfeits the remained of his contract, get it?  So people who keep saying "he needs to do whats best for him and retire"

Aren't thinking about whats best for him at all, while he is a bruin he has access to team doctors, team facilities, and his salary..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

"Anyone saying he shoudl retire is just looking at clearing his money from the cap.. "

Nobody is looking at that whatsoever. I obviously understand him taking home his paycut, but in the sense of retiring, I think we're all trying to tell him to not lace them up again. Get it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Regardless of the technicalities, wouldn't it be smarter for all concerned to settle his insurance claim for a lump sum, have him retire, and end he charade of him coming in for a physical on a regular basis?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless of the technicalities, wouldn't it be smarter for all concerned to settle his insurance claim for a lump sum, have him retire, and end he charade of him coming in for a physical on a regular basis?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I dont agree with that.. I think his best interest is to continue to work with the doctors to recover.. I dont know that he can do that either, I would assume the NHL would consider that a buy out, I dont think the bruins have any interest in doing that.. Till he is healthy, there is no reason for him to do anything but do what is required to get better, might as well do that on the NHL's check book.

If he takes a lump sum (usually) that is where your benefits end.. according to the interview he would come in fail the phsyical, and be placed on LTIR for the year, showing up to do that once a year till his contract is gone isn't a whole lot, besides its not like he can move on to something else till he is recovered.. People are saying they wish him well playing golf etc.  not remotely an option at this time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pretty sure he's playing golf.  Maybe not playing on a tour, but he's been on the course hasn't he?

Yeah, the whole point of the lump sum is that you may take less but you get it all now, which has its benefits.  In any case, I'm not proposing this as a way to ditch Savvy, I just think the idea of having him report and fail yearly is a ridiculous charade with no value for the player or the team other than that it satisfies the insurance company's provisions.  Living in Canada, Savard'll get free medical care for his PCS, and if the Bruins wanted to give him continued access to their doctors, well, so be it.  It would be public relations poison for the NHL to object to that.  All I'm thinking is that retirement might close the books for Savard so that he could concentrate on getting his health back.

Alternatively, what do you do in two years if Savard goes from being physically unable to perform due to PCS to medically cleared to play but too out of shape?  Insurance doesn't cover "too flabby", so would Savard then be on the Bruins books?  And would they then have to decide what to do with a guy who is unlikely to ever be in good enough shape to play NHL hockey again?  I doubt you'd ever see that - surely the doctors would err on the side of caution given all we've seen recently - but it could happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Pretty sure he's playing golf.  Maybe not playing on a tour, but he's been on the course hasn't he? Yeah, the whole point of the lump sum is that you may take less but you get it all now, which has its benefits.  In any case, I'm not proposing this as a way to ditch Savvy, I just think the idea of having him report and fail yearly is a ridiculous charade with no value for the player or the team other than that it satisfies the insurance company's provisions.  Living in Canada, Savard'll get free medical care for his PCS, and if the Bruins wanted to give him continued access to their doctors, well, so be it.  It would be public relations poison for the NHL to object to that.  All I'm thinking is that retirement might close the books for Savard so that he could concentrate on getting his health back. Alternatively, what do you do in two years if Savard goes from being physically unable to perform due to PCS to medically cleared to play but too out of shape?  Insurance doesn't cover "too flabby", so would Savard then be on the Bruins books?  And would they then have to decide what to do with a guy who is unlikely to ever be in good enough shape to play NHL hockey again?  I doubt you'd ever see that - surely the doctors would err on the side of caution given all we've seen recently - but it could happen.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I didnt think he was actually playing
    and in two years if he is out of shape to play, but clears, at that point he has to decide if he wants to play (his contract is front loaded)  He can retire, the bruins can buy him out.. Or if he really wants to come back, you send him to providence for conditioning.. If he no longer fits your plans you trade him..

Or, maybe this is an area that gets addressed in the new CBA..