Savard situation in regards to the cap?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Five4Fighting. Show Five4Fighting's posts

Savard situation in regards to the cap?

I'm not a cap wizard like a lot of people on there boards so that's why I thought I would ask this question.

Hypothetically if Savard is not good to go this year(not saying he's retiring but out another year) where would that have the Bruins sitting, say trade deadline time? And if (and I hope its not the case) we find out Savard is done for good, how much money does that open up for the Bruins this season and beyond in terms of picking up a free agent/trade deadline acquisition(s) and resigning the core players?

I'm not one of the people who are upset with the lack of signings by the B's this off season, in fact I'm all for it if it means locking up the core of this team for a long time to come considering they are for the most part pretty young guys. But with a lot of fans adamant about PC trying to pick up the likes of Stamkos, Weber, Parise etc, etc...I was wondering if that would be realistically possible to pull off while ALSO being able to lock up the core players/free agents in the next few years if Savard's money isn't tied up and on the flip side if it is?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Re: Savard situation in regards to the cap?

LTIR is not cash in the bank and does not remove the salary altogether. It merely allows a club to exceed the cap by the amount of salary of the injured player. The main issue is in terms of bonuses I suppose. If you have players earning bonus and you've been using LTIR cap relief you have no space to pay the bonus and it counts against the following year's cap. DrCC brought up a point recently that the CBA is due for renewal so bonuses don't carry to next year automatically but I think that was the case this year or last also and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't extend it.

To be honest the intricies are enough to make your head hurt. Just be thankful there are GMs who deal with this stuff so we don't have to.

Capgeek has some good explanations. See 'How does long term injured reserve work?':

http://www.capgeek.com/FAQ.php

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

The B's are allowed to overspend the cap up to the value of his salary while he's on Long Term Injured Reserve.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Unfortunately, Weber and Parise are off the market this year as their teams have filed for arbitration...

But they will become unrestricted free agents next year if they don't hammer out a long term deal, which would be sick...

To answer your question, Savvy is going to start the year on Long Term Injured Reserve to start the year no matter what...

That means that the Bruins have an extra 4.007 mil to spend in his absence...

And if, God forbid, he has to retire, his contract is over and he no longer counts towards the cap I believe...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

It is certainly tough to see any player get hurt & hopefully Marc Savard will recover enough to live a healthy life & enjoy is family.

But lets be honest here. The Bruins became a much better "team" this season when Savard went down. This is a guy who was atrocious in the games he played this year. Forget about his offence. He was so terrible defensively that he had a team worse +/- in only 25 games on a team full of inflated +/- stats. When Savard is not getting points he is useless because he brings nothing else to the table other then some other not so flattering characteristics (diving, whining).

This is a guy who stated in the media how frustrated he was because he wasn't showing up on the scoresheet. This was when the team was on a great run. Sure it is okay to be frustrated but when you constantly whine to the media about it after a team win it gives that "me first" mentality that I think left the room when Savard went for the season.

All of a sudden you had your 2 best allround players in Krejci & Bergeron take over as the go to offensive guys & both put the team first & sacrificed there personal numbers & both played much more complete & safer games then Savard.

Plus, it freed up some capspace to add depth (Kelly, Peverley, Kaberle) & prevented Julien from appeasing Savard's ego by giving him Lucic & Horton when both had there worse stretches of the season while playing with him.

I have no idea how they will go forward with the Savard situation but that Savard signing was a disaster from the start. A me first player for 7 yrs who had already begun declining.

Now the Bs are held hostage by that contract while waiting around for a 1 dimentional 34 yr old player making 4 million + for the next 6 seasons when even if he returns to form may very well be the 4th best center on the team right now. Seguin may pass him next year.

Sorry, hopefully Savard will lead a healthy life but that is the way I feel about his play & so-called leadership abilities. Not many will admit it but I bet you a lot of people in that organization felt that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Savard situation in regards to the cap?:[QUOTE] This is a guy who stated in the media how frustrated he was because he wasn't showing up on the scoresheet. This was when the team was on a great run. Sure it is okay to be frustrated but when you constantly whine to the media about it after a team win it gives that "me first" mentality that I think left the room when Savard went for the season. Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

Link please ?

PS. Not settling for "you need do your own research" You need to prove it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Since coming to Boston, I've had mixed feelings about how Savvy fit on this team... but I gotta give him credit, scoring the GWG in OT vs Philly last year in Game 1 of the Eastern semis after 2 months off from a bad concussions was pretty impressive and spoke of his heart and leadership ability.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Savard situation in regards to the cap?:
    [QUOTE]Since coming to Boston, I've had mixed feelings about how Savvy fit on this team... but I gotta give him credit, scoring the GWG in OT vs Philly last year in Game 1 of the Eastern semis after 2 months off from a bad concussions was pretty impressive and spoke of his heart and leadership ability.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

You might give him a B for heart, but Marc Savard was never a leader on any hockey team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Savard brings some leadership qualities.  Like Marchand he is a mouthy player who apparently is good in the locker room for keeping everyone loose and confident.  He was given an 'A' at times when players were injured but that stopped.  I expect that he, like Marchand, is a mixed bag, a player you need to balance reigning in with kicks in the backside, and not really a guy you would look to as a captain, even though he can come through under pressure. 
    As far as the cap hit goes, if he retires it's gone, if he's injured the Bruins get a cap bonus of that amount for as long as he is injured.  It's pro-rated.  If he's injured for the whole season, their allowable cap number will have grown by his $4.1 mil salary at the end of the year.  If he misses half the year, they get a bonus of $2.05 mil. They are allowed to calculate their cap number based on projection, so if he is out from the start they can project he will miss the whole year, but as soon as he returns they must become cap compliant right away and their bonus will be reduced by whatever is left in the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Savard was awful this year, and trying to force feed him a front line role so he could find his game wasn't working.  Silly to rip the comments about being frustrated even when the team is winning when you think about the whole situation.  Guy's coming back from serious PCS, not sure he'll ever be the same player, and he can't find his game.  What else is he going to feel?  Especially when the team is doing everything it can to help him get back, including win games when he's not contributing what he's supposed to contribute - scoring.

Guy is most likely going to be remembered as the foamy edge of the wave of concern that head shots were going to ruin the game and it's skilled players.  Tough legacy to carry.

Sections
Shortcuts