Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?

I hate to look at it this way, but how long til he makes a decision on whether to attempt a comeback or hang up the skates.  At this point I hope he hangs them up vs. risking his future at his age.

Luckily, the B's are in the fortunate position of not really even needing the money they are sitting on to pay him if he does comeback, but if he decided to retire tomorrow, would it change anything the Bruins are doing in the offseason?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Re: Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?

In Response to Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?:
    [QUOTE]I hate to look at it this way, but how long til he makes a decision on whether to attempt a comeback or hang up the skates.  At this point I hope he hangs them up vs. risking his future at his age. Luckily, the B's are in the fortunate position of not really even needing the money they are sitting on to pay him if he does comeback, but if he decided to retire tomorrow, would it change anything the Bruins are doing in the offseason?
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

I just made a similar thread (I didnt see yours)

I think he has to hang it up. It's been 6-7 months and there's still no progress. I dont wanna see him get perminatly injured

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think it will change Chiarelli's plans as I don't think Weber or Parise are available for trade. There is basically nothing on the heep of UFAs that would make the Bruins any better so then there is trade.

Who do you want if Savard hangs them up ? Be ready to include Hamilton and Seguin if you want players like Parise and Weber's talent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it will change Chiarelli's plans as I don't think Weber or Parise are available for trade. There is basically nothing on the heep of UFAs that would make the Bruins any better so then there is trade. Who do you want if Savard hangs them up ? Be ready to include Hamilton and Seguin if you want players like Parise and Weber's talent.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Sandog, you are right, but don't say things like this.

If something like this comes to pass, it would be enough to turn me into an ex-Bruins fan.

Seguin and Hamilton must go nowhere for nobody, no matter how good that nobody is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team? :  Seguin and Hamilton must go nowhere for nobody, no matter how good that nobody is.Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

And that's my point so Bruins fans need to be patient with the money under the cap. PC will never trade those two but for Parise and Weber types you would have to start there...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Globe story ended with something to the effect that he won't be in camp unless his symptoms disappear immediately, so he won't be in camp.  That means he's unlikely to be ready for the start of the season, which means he's either on LTIR or he retires.  Either way, his salary is available for the Bruins to replace him and it only becomes more complicated if he ever comes off LTIR or if he manages to resume a healthy career and the Bruins also burned off any cushion they'd need to re-sign Krejci and Rask.

In other words, it has no effect.  It would have more effect on line juggling if he did return - where's he going to play?  You aren't going to stick him straight into the Krejci's spot, you aren't going to split up Bergeron and Marchand, so - put him with Seguin and maybe Kelly or Pouliot?  That's probably the best case scenario.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team?:
    [QUOTE]Globe story ended with something to the effect that he won't be in camp unless his symptoms disappear immediately, so he won't be in camp.  That means he's unlikely to be ready for the start of the season, which means he's either on LTIR or he retires.  Either way, his salary is available for the Bruins to replace him and it only becomes more complicated if he ever comes off LTIR or if he manages to resume a healthy career and the Bruins also burned off any cushion they'd need to re-sign Krejci and Rask. In other words, it has no effect.  It would have more effect on line juggling if he did return - where's he going to play?  You aren't going to stick him straight into the Krejci's spot, you aren't going to split up Bergeron and Marchand, so - put him with Seguin and maybe Kelly or Pouliot?  That's probably the best case scenario.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I really like that idea. Seguin-Savard-Pouliot. If Savard recovers he would be a strong veteran presence for the both of them. That could be a finishing line.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

another thread is on the same subject. The way Chiarelli has positioned this team, Savard is not a necessary participant. If he could regain full health, his skills would help, but, is that ever going to happen? With all the research into head injuries it seems to indicate that a further deterioration is more possible than recovery. We have watched Bergeron recover and grow, but he was 10/11 years younger than Savvy when he was hurt. My question is how long will the insurance company allow Savvy to stay on LTD ? There must be some clause that establishes a go-no go oint in time. Does anyone know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard Still Hurting --

Seguin and Hamilton must go nowhere for nobody, no matter how good that nobody is.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

When did Hamilton become untouchable...and why? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I dont know why Seguin and/or Hamilton being traded would make you an ex Bruins fan.  EVERYONE is tradable.  Now, it wouldnt be smart to trade Chara, Thomas, Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci or Horton, but we saw Jumbo Joe go, and I NEVER thought Id see that, and when it happened I SWORE that Id never support the Bruins again as long as Sinden and MOC were at the helm.  That didnt last long.

Fact is, if the Bruins were offered Stamkos or Malkin or Kessler or Iginla or Perry or Ryan or Toews or Ovechkin or Marleau or Eric Staal or Nash or Vanek or even Jumbo Joe for Seguin and a pick or Hamilton and a pick, theyd be stupid to not do it.  I think Seguin will become a 30 goal scorer, probably a 30/40 guy anyway, but the fact is there are a lot of young studs around the league who could make a HUGE impact NOW.  Savard was an assists machine!  If his scoring had of been replaced this year, Boston would have blown the doors off MANY a game this year.  The guy was good for more than a point a game.  How many of those 1 goal losses would the Bruins have avoided with Savard in the lineup?  Im sorry, but as much as I like Seguin and his maturity at such a young age and his skills, Id let him go for about 15 different guys right now.  And Hamilton:  He's probably years away from playing here, and who knows if he'll even be here by then.  If someone is stupid enough to trade a superstar player like the ones I listed for Dougie and a pick, Id be happy to see him go. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

[QUOTE]HIS GOLF GAME IS MUCH BETTER THEN MY GOALTENDING GAME. LUCKY US REAL FANS HAD A STAR GOALIE INSTEAD OF ME MR CHOKE AKA T. RASK.
    Posted by tukka-fall[/QUOTE]

Who are you and what language are you speaking??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

Watching  an early regular season game against Philly and man, Savard's passing was in a different league from the rest of the team at least on this specific day. I remember him struggling for the most part this past year but on this one game he was impressive. He anticipated the play and the puck seemed to follow him around the ice.

If there's one thing the rest of the boys can still learn from Marc, it's how to know where you're going with the puck before you get it, and how to hide your intentions until the last second, rather than staring at your target and giving the opposition a chance for an easy steal. 

Also, Kampfer better get a real shot to stay in the lineup this year, at least as part of a rotation, because he has a unique set of abilities among the defensemen and he seems to have good instincts. Otherwise Corvo better be one heck of a player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Savard's gone, fellas.  He's as ancient history as Carl Soderberg around here.

For more on this, see Keith Primeau or Jeff Buekeboom.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard Still Hurting -- How does his decision/timing affect the team? : Sandog, you are right, but don't say things like this. If something like this comes to pass, it would be enough to turn me into an ex-Bruins fan. Seguin and Hamilton must go nowhere for nobody, no matter how good that nobody is.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure turning a draft pick (Hamilton) into Weber is a bad thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE] Also, Kampfer better get a real shot to stay in the lineup this year, at least as part of a rotation, because he has a unique set of abilities among the defensemen and he seems to have good instincts. Otherwise Corvo better be one heck of a player.
    Posted by shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou[/QUOTE]

Right, this will be one of the most interesting things to watch in camp.  Kampfer has a lot of talent and potential and I know many fans want to see him get in there and grow with the position.  He has great offensive instincts.  And scored a few goals right off when he came up last year.  

Bringing in Corvo was a downer in the sense that it will make it harder for kampfer to get into the lineup.  But who knows, he may beat Corvo out.  

Or, Corvo may give a solid presence that will really help the team.  He has the record of being a tough dependable D man who will grab a dozen goals through the season.

Either way, it will be fun to watch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I know Savard loves to play but having suffered a Grade III concussion myself I wouldn't be running back to play. Its a b*tch but he should retire. Brutal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The bruins are moving on this season as if savard is not in the picture..
    As far as savard retiring, I don't see him making that decision, maybe I am wrong, but as long as he is on LTIR, he gets paid he's got 3 years left at top dollar, I can't see him walking away from the money just to help the team..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Back after Hunwick hit him, I was one of the people concerned that a slow decision process this summer could hurt the team.  Boy, was I wrong.  In fact, I think this has worked out nearly as well as it possibly could.  There is no pressure to make a decision.  I doubt any player worth more than $4M could be acquired without sending salary the other way, so it's unlikely he would create a cap crunch by coming back mid-season, and I would be stunned if suddenly having an extra $4M of non-LTIR space would open up new options.

Savard could sit out this entire season, and if he's still having headaches retire, and I don't think it would hurt the team at all.  The only way things could go badly is if he tries to return too early - but there is no pressure on him to do that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Back after Hunwick hit him, I was one of the people concerned that a slow decision process this summer could hurt the team.  Boy, was I wrong.  In fact, I think this has worked out nearly as well as it possibly could.  There is no pressure to make a decision.  I doubt any player worth more than $4M could be acquired without sending salary the other way, so it's unlikely he would create a cap crunch by coming back mid-season, and I would be stunned if suddenly having an extra $4M of non-LTIR space would open up new options. Savard could sit out this entire season, and if he's still having headaches retire, and I don't think it would hurt the team at all.  The only way things could go badly is if he tries to return too early - but there is no pressure on him to do that.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I think it does hamper the team in some way, and obviously there is a concern that even if healthy after missing so much time would the bruins ever get back the player they signed.. That said, whats in it for savard to retire?  I don't get the impression that he's lazy, so working to get back, once he cleared doesnt seem to be an issue to me.. I think, from his stand point its going to be, I am injured, and can't play.. Why would he walk away though with 14 million owed (21 m at this point) when he can't do anything as at the time..

Even if its in his best interest, he should get healthy first, and then make that decision..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They have proven that they don't need him.  If he were to come back, they'd probably deal him like they did Marco or buy him out.

Sections
Shortcuts