Savard's name on the cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Savard's name on the cup

Savard's name on the cup is the class thing to do, the right thing to do.

He was an integral part of the team last year - and played this year, altho not well, everyone expected him to return to form.

I will offer this reason which I think is the most important reason to put his name on the cup.  It sends a message to the players that their sacrifices are appreciated.  In the salary cap era, an organization has to do all it can to offer any kind of perk it can to keep and attract players.

What kind of message would it send to keep him name off of the cup?

People care about that kind of stuff, players do, too.

Don Awrey's name was kept off the Stanley cup when he played for the Habs and that he was bitter about that.  You can find that in print in about a billion places if you look for it.

And how many fans will think worse of the Bruins if his name is off the cup?

Maybe everyone except NAS.

Human being wise it makes sense to put his name on the cup, else you can just substitute some names in this sentence;
    Ebeneezer Scrooge "Back to work, Bob Cratchet!"

Business wise, customer and employee relations wise it makes sense.

If you can't see that, your name might be Ebeneezer Scrooge.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Anyone who is unable to play due to injury, as in they were part of the team until injury derailed them, should be on the cup. I think Savard deserves it as much as Kampfer although Kampfer did do more this season for the Bs.

Hope to see Savy on Saturday but a parade is probably not good for a guy that gets headaches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think it likely the team will petition to have his name included, since his absence was solely due to injury - and a possible career ending one, at that.

I wonder though, what does Savard think?  Maybe he doesn't think he deserves to have his name on the Cup, since he didn't play enough this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Savard deserves to be on the Cup.  No doubt that Krejci playing behind Savard was crucial in his development.  Krejci learned a lot from Savard!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Savard's name on the cup:
    [QUOTE]Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances. http://proicehockey.about.com/od/stanleycupbunker/f/stanley_cup_nam.htm Unfortunately, this means Savard might get his name on there.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the debate is about, this post seems to answer the question.

The player was injured and his name will be on the Cup.  It is not a question of how well he played or how much he contributed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

No offense to the Sheriff, but he played what, 9-10 total playoff minutes, and his name will be on the Cup. Savard was on LTIR as a result of injury, and his name ought to be on there. He was part of the Flyers series last year that gave this year's team that chip on their shoulder to persevere their way to the Cup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

My take is this:

Ring, but no name on Cup.

He deserves the reckognition from the team, but the Cup doesn't belong to Boston. It's the League's. In that respect, going forward I don't think his name, unfortunately, belongs on the Cup.

I just think in 10 years, if someone looks, does his name really belong there? Take the homerism and sentiment out of it, does he really deserve to be placed with all those champions' names from decades past? I don't think so. Again, he deserves a ring from the TEAM, but not the name on the LEAGUE'S cup. Just my humble opinion, but it's a very gray area.

Personally I don't mind if it's not there. I was bothered by his lack of accountability last year after the too many men, and have never thought he really associated with Boston the way others have. Even Thorton, to me, is much more a part of the city that Savard has ever been.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Savy deserves a ring an his name on the cup. He was part of that group that turned this franchise around even though he wasn't on the ice last night savy deserves it IMO.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

Does Mark Stuart also?  He was part of that group that turned the franchise around even though he wasn't on the ice for the final.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard's name on the cup : No disrespect, but I don't think the Bruins will give a rats behind what you think! Sometimes you go overboard with your bias opinions NAS! The guy wasn't on the team because he was concussed. Where's your freaking beat in that sometimes lame butt heart of yours!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I don't think they care either.  Are opinions banned if the B's aren't going to take them into account?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's a lot of comments, but no one can offer an answer to the question:

How did Savard contribute to this team, the 2010-11 Boston Bruins, winning the Stanley Cup?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

It matters not a hoot, what fans think. M.Savard's name will be on the Cup. Period.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]That's a lot of comments, but no one can offer an answer to the question: How did Savard contribute to this team, the 2010-11 Boston Bruins, winning the Stanley Cup?

The crickets you are hearing are because he didn't contribute much at all.  Only 25 games, resulting in 10 points.  My guess is that the team did not have a great record while he played, but I don't feel like researching it. 

That said, he was playing better in his last 5-8 games before being re-injured.  Who knows how much more he could have improved over the course of the year or how much more he could have helped the team.  Seems like that is why they allow for injured players to be included on the Cup, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

The 41 regular season games/ 1 playoff game does not apply to backup goaltenders, so Rask's name will be on the cup, as he did dress and was on the bench every night of the playoffs. There is a waiver process in which teams can apply to get players' names on the cup if they did not meet the minimum requirements. During todays press conference, Chiarelli said he would apply to have both Marc Savard and Steve Kampfer's names added to the cup, but it will ultimately be decided by the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard's name on the cup : The crickets you are hearing are because he didn't contribute much at all.  Only 25 games, resulting in 10 points.  My guess is that the team did not have a great record while he played, but I don't feel like researching it.  That said, he was playing better in his last 5-8 games before being re-injured.  Who knows how much more he could have improved over the course of the year or how much more he could have helped the team.  Seems like that is why they allow for injured players to be included on the Cup, right?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

When I think of injured players getting their name on the Cup anyway, I think of players who helped the team along the way. All Savard did on the ice was sandbag Lucic, Horton and Krejci.  He played extremely poorly for almost all of his games (remember his penache for home run passes that were turn overs again and again and again?) and failed to do anything positive for the team.

I don't think that name belongs on the Cup.  I would agree with Kampfer.  He filled a role and played well enough for what was expected of him.

Savard stunk out the joint every time he was on the ice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard's name on the cup : Does Mark Stuart also?  He was part of that group that turned the franchise around even though he wasn't on the ice for the final.

OK that response right there is something Luchaloo; or whatever is name is would say NAS! Give your head a shake & take it out of your AS$! Seriously; you're just being lame arguing about this. How long did it take Bergy to find his game? Almost a season before he was back to where he was. Your opinion has no value & based only on the fact you don't like the guy! That's the ONLY REASON you don't want his name on there!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard's name on the cup : OK that response right there is something Luchaloo; or whatever is name is would say NAS! Give your head a shake & take it out of your AS$! Seriously; you're just being lame arguing about this. How long did it take Bergy to find his game? Almost a season before he was back to where he was. Your opinion has no value & based only on the fact you don't like the guy! That's the ONLY REASON you don't want his name on there!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Like or dislike notwithstanding, he didn't meet the regular season games played number, he didn't play a second in the playoffs (you know, when they were winning the Cup) and for the few games he did play, HE WAS AWFUL.

He is no Stanley Cup champion.  No name on the Cup for him in my world.  I'm going to guess they'll give it to him, but I don't like it.

Nite, tell me how Marc Savard helped the 2010-11 Boston Bruins win the Stanley Cup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Lot's of alternate thoughts here, so let's consider the fact that this team has evolved, and Savard, until injured by Cooke, was a solid member of this team, and the focal point for the PP. Savard's injury caused a lot of scrambling and a death knell to the PP even though Coaches are supposed to create a result. Savard earned his spot on the team and on the Cup

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Lot's of alternate thoughts here, so let's consider the fact that this team has evolved, and Savard, until injured by Cooke, was a solid member of this team, and the focal point for the PP. Savard's injury caused a lot of scrambling and a death knell to the PP even though Coaches are supposed to create a result. Savard earned his spot on the team and on the Cup
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Because the core of the team has been relatively solid year to year recently, people seem to be forgetting that there is a difference between 2009-10 and 2010-11.  Savard was a solid contributor years before, yes.  He was no contributor at all the year they won the Cup.

This team didn't need him and didn't use him to the win the Cup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

The Bruins will be pushing for Savard, Kampfer and Hnidy to be on it.  The league has done it before and for sure Savard's name will be on the Cup!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Savard did nothing to help win the cup.  That isn't a criticism, it's a tragic fact due to his injury.

However, his name will go on the cup and I'd be okay with it (not that my opinion matters much) because the Bruins have proven they are a classy organization under PC and it would be a classy thing to do, particularly since I doubt Savard will play again.

You can make the case, albeit, less convincing, that Rask's name shouldn't appear on the Cup if you're basing it on contribution.  He didn't appear in a single playoff game and limited games in the season.

You cannot argue with NAS's opinion on this; it's crystal clear that Savard did not contribute to the Stanley Cup run for the Bruins this year.  I've always liked Savard and it would simply be the right thing to do as an organization imho.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Savard did nothing to help win the cup.  That isn't a criticism, it's a tragic fact due to his injury. However, his name will go on the cup and I'd be okay with it (not that my opinion matters much) because the Bruins have proven they are a classy organization under PC and it would be a classy thing to do, particularly since I doubt Savard will play again. You can make the case, albeit, less convincing, that Rask's name shouldn't appear on the Cup if you're basing it on contribution.  He didn't appear in a single playoff game and limited games in the season. You cannot argue with NAS's opinion on this; it's crystal clear that Savard did not contribute to the Stanley Cup run for the Bruins this year.  I've always liked Savard and it would simply be the right thing to do as an organization imho.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

The backup goaltender has a different role and different rules for inclusion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Savard's name on the cup : The backup goaltender has a different role and different rules for inclusion.
    I know, I was just suggesting that a criteria solely based on contribution isn't always applicable.

Unfortunately for us Leaf fans, I think Rask will likely be a big part of future cup runs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Luongo helped the B's win the Cup more than Savard did, but I agree Savvy's name will be on the Cup because it's the right thing to do from an organizational perspective.  He's been part of the big picture changes that the organization have undergone over the last few years, that's enough for me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Luongo helped the B's win the Cup more than Savard did, but I agree Savvy's name will be on the Cup because it's the right thing to do from an organizational perspective.  He's been part of the big picture changes that the organization has undergone over the last few years, that's enough for me.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

The line of the thread!  I see NAS's point on why his name may not be on the Cup.  I have not done the research but I would think there are other players from past championships that were not included.  The only argument to be used for Savard is the sympathetic one, a tribute, for his career looks to be over with at this point.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

NAS, this exerpt adds a little more to the rules for inclusion on the Cup:

"The work of engraving the presentation Cup and its replica has since 1989 been entrusted to Louise St. Jacques, who for 10 days each August or September makes room in her Montreal home for the trophies. She is given a list of 52 names by the winning general manager. To be eligible for the list, a player must have: played in 41 regular-season games; have been on the active roster by the 26th day preceding the end of the regular season; or played one shift during the Stanley Cup final. Any spelling errors are not hers; St. Jacques engraves only what's on the list."

From this fantastic article about the Cup:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6658200/page/2/lord-stanley-grail

During the parade coverage, Caron said Chiarelli has formally petitioned the league to include Savard's name on the Cup.  While I agree that you could make logical arguments about his "contributions" to winning the Cup, I think most people would agree that it's the right thing to do.

Just imagine, Nomar Garciapara has a 2004 World Series ring... the one player whose REMOVAL had the most to do with their championship... 

Sections
Shortcuts