Sayonara Bylsma and Shero!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Sayonara Bylsma and Shero!

Whether you blame it on the GM or the coach,because someone has to take the fall of course,one thing was clear all year long,even the posters on this board could see it,was that the Penguin defence and goaltending was not Championship worthy.It was a pipe dream to think this group & goaltender could win a Cup.This leaves the forwards to outscore the opponent every night and that can work in the regular season but you saw not in the playoffs,Sid & company were shut down and abused.The Peneguins brain trust has a bit of work to do with reshaping their team because as constituted it will not win a title again,whether the GM or coaches takes the fall remains to be seen.MAF did get shutouts in games 3 & 4 so i'll hang this on Sid,Geno,Jimmy Neal,Kuntz & the rest. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Not Shero's fault at all, but the Olympics taught us that Bylsma can't adjust his way out of a paper bag. Definitely overrated. 

What do you mean it's not Sheros fault. It's 100% his fault. Most overrated gm ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

i think pitt with all those openings is in a good position.  If you eliminate fleury and scuderi thats an extra 8 million(via buyout or odd chance they can deak them)  They have 5 of the top 6 fwds signed.  They have 3 of their top 4 def signed.  Thats a pretty good core to start and build around considering sid and malkin are top 5 in the game.  Sutter and Bennett will be in the top 9.  

If you take the two contracts off the books you have lots of room to play with.  And rebuilding your role players means just picking the right type of guys.  

I think Hillier is a good fit for them.  A few options on defense would be role guys like matt greene or a clayton stoner(who i like a lot).  Matta Martin Letang are in need of some hard nosed dmen to take care of their own end.  

I think Pitt is ok.   And will win their division again next year.  The eastern conf just isnt very strong.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Not Shero's fault at all, but the Olympics taught us that Bylsma can't adjust his way out of a paper bag. Definitely overrated. 

What do you mean it's not Sheros fault. It's 100% his fault. Most overrated gm ever

How do u figure that?   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think of Orpik (didn't play and gone) and Letang are your 1 and 2 you're in for a world of pain in the playoffs. I like Martin. I agree that if you are spending 23 million on Sid, Geno, and that lug Neal you're doomed from the start. That is on Shero, make no bones about it.

They have 14 UFA's and 3 RFA's (I don't think I've ever seen such an "all your eggs in one basket" year like that). The Pens will need to retool big time. With the cap going up that will help, but they will have to be shopping at Dollar General and not Neimann Marcus.

As Armchair GM, I'd certainly gauge interest in Malkin. Sid sells the merch and puts fannys in the seats. He's going nowhere.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

I think of Orpik (didn't play and gone) and Letang are your 1 and 2 you're in for a world of pain in the playoffs. I like Martin. I agree that if you are spending 23 million on Sid, Geno, and that lug Neal you're doomed from the start. That is on Shero, make no bones about it.

They have 14 UFA's and 3 RFA's (I don't think I've ever seen such an "all your eggs in one basket" year like that). The Pens will need to retool big time. With the cap going up that will help, but they will have to be shopping at Dollar General and not Neimann Marcus.

As Armchair GM, I'd certainly gauge interest in Malkin. Sid sells the merch and puts fannys in the seats. He's going nowhere.

Seo, neither guy are being dealt.  They need to rebuild their 3-4 lines add a goalie and a few def. Character gritty players and get a guy that can play a little and scare a lot to play with sid.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I agree, neither are going anywhere, but Shero would be dumb not to put out feelers.
    18 mil for the 2 of them...ouch

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Seo, neither guy are being dealt.  They need to rebuild their 3-4 lines add a goalie and a few def. Character gritty players and get a guy that can play a little and scare a lot to play with sid.  

Easier said than done,Shero has his work cut out for him and the road will be a little bumpy.Pens are not a contender right now and Hiller isn't the answer,ask Boudreau.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

I think they've assembled a poor supporting cast for Crosby and Malkin.  Not even sure you can spend 35% of your budget on 2 players, and assemble a Cup contender, but that's another essay.

I really have a hard time figuring out how Bylsma went from "so smart", to "so stupid", in less than a week. 

If it's merely knee jerk because they lost, it can actually cause a bigger problem.

Were the Bruins really coached that much better in 72 than they were in 71?  What did CJ do that much better in 11, over that epic collapse of 2010.

First point is the most important for me. The idea of "building a supporting cast" is flawed for the very reason that you can't have two FORWARDS take up 35% of your Cap, UNLESS you are very, very luck in some other areas on the roster.  You have to have EL guys step up and play waaaay above their pay grade or you have to have some ridiculous luck in acquiring players with favorable contracts from other teams who elevate their play significantly, or you have to find a Yeti.  Crosby got shut down.  If Crosby's shut down, Kunitz is useless.  Without Crosby, Dupuis is Chris Kelly.  If Malkin's not going, Neal is a 25 goal scorer not a 40 goal scorer.  etc.  You hang the ornaments on the tree, the ornaments are useless without the tree.  The way they're built, the cast isn't supporting Crosby, he's carrying them.  He has too.  They're all malnourished because Pitt can't afford to pay them to feed their families.

Smart to Stupid, the flaw's on both sides.  He's smart because the Pens are winning.  He's stupid because they lost to a team that is inferior in paper...though I think you could convince me that on paper St. Louis, Nash, Stall, Lundqvist is comparable on paper to Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fluffy.

Knee jerk is often a bigger problem.  Witness: the Vancouver Canucks.

CJ - context-specific learning.  He changed his approach to a few parts of the game, particularly the mental focus of the players, and you could see it the following year.  I think he was definitely a better coach in 2011. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to stevegm's comment: And now...the old, "who's to blame" game starts.  Always drives me nuts. I know it's a broken record, but it needs to be said again.  Most people expect way, waayyyy to much from coaches, and regularly confuse their duties.

Since all we get a glimpse of, are TV interviews, it's impossible for us to make any kind of reasonable assessment.  Instead, it's "hero or zero". Never followed that logic.

Does anyone really think the Penguins were that good this year?  I sure don't.  I've never trusted their goalie, and had several arguments here on that topic.  I don't think their defense is that good, and over-all, I think they've assembled a poor supporting cast for Crosby and Malkin.  Not even sure you can spend 35% of your budget on 2 players, and assemble a Cup contender, but that's another essay.

The hockey business panders to the hysterical idiocy of the marketplace, and firing coaches keeps the team front and center, while usually providing the GM(who really makes all the important calls anyway) with at least a 1 year lifeline.

I really have a hard time figuring out how Bylsma went from "so smart", to "so stupid", in less than a week. "

You got the part right about Shero and his assessment of money allotment throughout his team. However Bylsma is not a "one-year hero to zero". He is a coach that was given a very good team...years ago.

Bylsma's coaching was exposed a long time ago and so was a lineup that Shero inherited when he arrived. Look again at what was waiting for you Fred when he went to Pittsburgh. High first round draft pick after another. I think you won't find many Penguin fans that don't think they shouldn't have more than one cup. I agree with them...they should have more.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to bim09's comment:

Did Shero address his goaltending problem properly ? 

They didnt lose because of goaltending.  Bylsma cant coach.

MAF got lit up by the the Flyers in 2012, then the Bruins in 2013 and this year he may not have gotten lit up as much but he was not a goalie that could help lead the Penguins past the Bruins or Canadiens if Pittsburgh had gotten past the Rangers.

Ask any Penguin fan how they feel about how Shero and how he addressed his goalie situation the past few years and they will disagree. Shero is also responsible for the defense he gives his coach.

Fleury is a back-up at best. Also, the Pens should remove that 'C' from crybaby Crosby's uniform, unless the 'C' actually stands for CRYBABY.

•  

"goalie- maf wasnt the reason they lost this year. But no one has confidence in him. I think hes a very good goalie but needs a new address. I can see Hillier going to Pitt. Goalie contracts stink."

"If you eliminate fleury and scuderi thats an extra 8 million(via buyout or odd chance they can deak them) They have 5 of the top 6 fwds signed. They have 3 of their top 4 def signed.

If you take the two contracts off the books you have lots of room to play with. And rebuilding your role players means just picking the right type of guys."

Quick fix with an older, cheaper goalie is what Shero already tried. The Bruins and Flyers lit him up two years in a row, during the playoffs, Shup.

Martin is Pittsburgh's number one Dman YIKES. A big "IF" Shup, real big. I don't think "deak them" is in the new CBA. Unless there is a "Garth Snow" amendment...he can be deaked easily LoL

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Did Shero address his goaltending problem properly ?

I wouldn't put this playoffs on Fleury.

Shero survives, I think he goes out and gets the players needed.

I would entertain a Malkin for Ovechkin swap.

A Fleury for Eberle trade would be a good one.

Worst thing Shero ever did was trade Jordan Staal. Absolutley perfect for that team and they haven't looked the same since. Staal not a fit in Carolina, Pittsburgh not the same since he left.

Holy jumping..I just tried to delete the extra lines between posts and it came out worse..

I hope NAS doesn't see this or my Executive Group Membership will get revoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San. If pitt can add to their defense they may be better off keeping what they have in maf.  If bryz and mason can regain form i think fleury will be ok as well. The best move they will make is likely adding trotz.  Martin Letang are replaced by Matta.  If martin letand are second pairing thats not too bad.

this yrs ufa crop for defense is bad.  Tallinder would be a nice fit with matta and i know you will agree.

This yrs ufa crop of fwds is ok. Very good for role type players.  Which is what they need.  I know keslers name was mentioned but im not sure i wanna take him on if it means losing sutter.  

Who mentioned fleury for eberle?    Really?  Maybe they can get Hall for scuderi while MacT is drunk. 

San. If pitt can add to their defense they may be better off keeping what they have in maf.  If bryz and mason can regain form i think fleury will be ok as well. The best move they will make is likely adding trotz.  Martin Letang are replaced by Matta.  If martin letand are second pairing thats not too bad.

this yrs ufa crop for defense is bad.  Tallinder would be a nice fit with matta and i know you will agree.

This yrs ufa crop of fwds is ok. Very good for role type players.  Which is what they need.  I know keslers name was mentioned but im not sure i wanna take him on if it means losing sutter.  

Who mentioned fleury for eberle?    Really?  Maybe they can get Hall for scuderi while MacT is drunk. 

I don't think that's too far fetched. Fleury, the talent is there. His problems to me are all mental now, and I don't think he played that bad this postseason. Certainly not why they lost.

I'm with you that I think they should stick with Fleury, but if they have to move him, wouldn't shock me if Shero takes a gamble on Cam Ward.

I do think if Shero stays, probably will, he will bring in pieces with the $15M he has and probably MAFs buyout money. But I don't think he will be able to get past the better teams in the playoffs next year with whatever fixes he comes up with.

All of Pittsburgh's recent regular season dominance, with the exception of 2008-2009, haven't helped them in the playoffs because Shero brings in soft players. Laughing at all that said Shero was and is better than Chiarelli.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

How do u figure that?   

Take a look at their blue line. Where are the good moves shero has made other than acquiring sutter and Neal?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I cant believe people are giving MAF such a pass. The guy does not have to lose every game by himself to be a major problem.  When the Pens were desperately trying to give away the Columbus series, it was obvious the key was to get the puck somewhere near MAF.  The one game he choked up the tying goal on a puckhandling gaffe, and they went into OT, it didnt take a genius to see that all you needed to do way send a floater his way.  So the next 50 foot dying quail settled in the back of the net, and it was another loss.  But they won the series so you forget?

Can you forget the weak backhanders, dribblers and loose pucks the Rags put in? In the third period he looked like he was going to funnel that clearing pass between his legs and in.  No, he did not lose that series by himself and had a couple games when he wasnt awful, but dont think for a minute every Pens player on the ice wasnt scared to death about the next bad goal.  For a team that plays with the yips and underachieves in the playoffs, this matters. He has to go, buyout or otherwise.

And San is also right (I know you hate me but I have to agree here) that Shero did nothing to address this.  He was able to go to a capable backup last year.  This year he apparently couldnt make that move with the rookie. Its unforgivable that Shero did not find the Pens a capable second choice in goal for the playoffs.  How did they not get Thomas?  How did they not get anyone?

Shero, Bly and MAF must go, plue a few more just for a culture change.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=719554&navid=nhl:topheads

Tootles

Man i gotta say im pretty surprised about shero.  

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Overrated, Over-hyped and out in the 2nd round!

Overreaction.  Stuff happens. They find a goalie and some other tweaks and they'll be in the conference finals next year.

Yah stuff happens.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just for the record, shouldn't we hang the Team USA flameout on them as well?  Maybe...they aren't as good as their press clippings?

Are you not entertained?!?!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Just for the record, shouldn't we hang the Team USA flameout on them as well?  Maybe...they aren't as good as their press clippings?

Are you not entertained?!?!

They do have an impressive list of flameouts.

Bylsma stays?  Weird

• Sections
    Shortcuts