Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks

All players should wear half shields.

No reason not to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks:
    All players should wear half shields. No reason not to.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Installed an Oakley half shield on my helmet before I started mens summer beer league this(wait last) year. Saved this from happening to me atleast 2x always scares the  crap out of you. Scary when you see it happen to someone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : Installed an Oakley half shield on my helmet before I started mens summer beer league this(wait last) year. Saved this from happening to me atleast 2x always scares the  crap out of you. Scary when you see it happen to someone.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

It still shocks me so many beer-league players don't wear full shields. I can't believe they trust the other players on the ice to have such stick awareness when they play once a week....and may have had a few beers.

When you play everyday, you have so much more awareness. I can't tell you how many times some ankle bender has gotten his stick up after a slap shot or in the corners and hit my on the full shield.

who wants to go into work like that or pick up girls? or come back to your wives?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Another interesting note: It is illegal in the NHL to wear a full sheild, unless you have a facial injury that needs healing..... Is that pointless or what?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I think I've read somewhere that most junior players wear some form of mandated facial protection, be it shield or cage at one time or another but that also there's an unspoken "manly" thing about shedding it once they hit the pros.  For their own longevity, the league should make shields as essential as helmets.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Awful.  Nice of the a---hole who made the video to give us the cartoonish replay of the puck hitting his face over and over again...

It's even more insane to not wear a shield in the men's league than the NHL -- no stick control at that level...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Another interesting note: It is illegal in the NHL to wear a full sheild, unless you have a facial injury that needs healing..... Is that pointless or what?
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

Really? What's the reason for the rule?

Coming from the women's game I've never understood this. Fullshields are required in every level, even pro (well, semi-pro - still waiting for a true pro league) and international. Is it about fighting? I've never had a problem shedding my shield and helmet when I've dropped the gloves. And folks don't take more liberties, as long as the rules are still strictly enforced.

I hate to bring gender into an argument but, in this particular case, I think it's a "guy" thing. I just don't understand it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : Really? What's the reason for the rule? Coming from the women's game I've never understood this. Fullshields are required in every level, even pro (well, semi-pro - still waiting for a true pro league) and international. Is it about fighting? I've never had a problem shedding my shield and helmet when I've dropped the gloves. And folks don't take more liberties, as long as the rules are still strictly enforced. I hate to bring gender into an argument but, in this particular case, I think it's a "guy" thing. I just don't understand it.
    Posted by red75

Don't understand what?  Hockey?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : Really? What's the reason for the rule? Coming from the women's game I've never understood this. Fullshields are required in every level, even pro (well, semi-pro - still waiting for a true pro league) and international. Is it about fighting? I've never had a problem shedding my shield and helmet when I've dropped the gloves. And folks don't take more liberties, as long as the rules are still strictly enforced. I hate to bring gender into an argument but, in this particular case, I think it's a "guy" thing. I just don't understand it.
    Posted by red75

I've never heard that rule.It's surprising a player isn't allowed to protect himself as well as he wants(within reason).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : Don't understand what?  Hockey?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Uncalled for, grow up NAS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : Don't understand what?  Hockey?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Considering you're a goalie, and you always wear a full shield, how is your experience any different than mine?

Losing an eye makes it hockey?

You're so full of bovine manure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

I have been wearing a cage for the last 20+ years and have NO desire to play without it. Beer league players are typically a mix of some really good players and some mediocre and accidents like this can happen at any time. The cage has (no doubt) saved my face from looking even worse than it already does AND I still have all my chicklets!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Too lazy to go searching for the document trail to back this up, so take it for what it's worth: a memory of past articles on this subject.

There's some correlation, probably stronger in the mind than in the evidence, between better head/face protection and an increase in shots to the head.  That includes both sticks to the face/head and gloved shots in the mug.  It works both ways, too - a guy wearing a full shield is less careful with his stick because he doesn't perceive the threat in the same way.  So unless everyone is wearing them, as they used to at the WJHC and I think in all of Major Junior, the cage may actually increase the risk to players who aren't wearing the additional protection.  The NHL has never been able to mandate visors, so good luck with full cages.

The other part of the debate has always been economic.  High end skill players say, to a man, that they don't see as well and it hurts their production, their reaction times, and therefore their creativity.  Think about all of the discussions on this forum where people cry about Ryder's 4M for 50 points but yearn for, say, Iginla and his 7M+ for 75 points (Which means, by the way, paying him more per point).  When point production leads to millions of dollars, a guy who thinks the cage will cost him 10 pts a season counts that in $$ and thinks hey, I could get a lot of good dental work/facial surgery for a fraction of that cash!  And that, my friends, means the union is opposed to cages.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : Considering you're a goalie, and you always wear a full shield, how is your experience any different than mine? Losing an eye makes it hockey? You're so full of bovine manure.
    Posted by red75

I think this is Duinne.  If not, it's Duinne's sister.  Why do I think that?  She makes stuff up, too.  Pulls stuff out of thin air and posts it as fact.

I haven't played a second of goal in my life.  I played/play forward.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Too lazy to go searching for the document trail to back this up, so take it for what it's worth: a memory of past articles on this subject. There's some correlation, probably stronger in the mind than in the evidence, between better head/face protection and an increase in shots to the head.  That includes both sticks to the face/head and gloved shots in the mug.  It works both ways, too - a guy wearing a full shield is less careful with his stick because he doesn't perceive the threat in the same way.  So unless everyone is wearing them, as they used to at the WJHC and I think in all of Major Junior, the cage may actually increase the risk to players who aren't wearing the additional protection.  The NHL has never been able to mandate visors, so good luck with full cages. The other part of the debate has always been economic.  High end skill players say, to a man, that they don't see as well and it hurts their production, their reaction times, and therefore their creativity.  Think about all of the discussions on this forum where people cry about Ryder's 4M for 50 points but yearn for, say, Iginla and his 7M+ for 75 points (Which means, by the way, paying him more per point).  When point production leads to millions of dollars, a guy who thinks the cage will cost him 10 pts a season counts that in $$ and thinks hey, I could get a lot of good dental work/facial surgery for a fraction of that cash!  And that, my friends, means the union is opposed to cages.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I'm opposed to telling a grown man he HAS to wear anything but am surprised the league would say they aren't allowed(full cages).Makes no sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : I'm opposed to telling a grown man he HAS to wear anything but am surprised the league would say they aren't allowed(full cages).Makes no sense.
    Posted by dezaruchi

The State of Massachusetts tells me I have to wear a seat belt.  At first I didn't like it, but now, years later, I don't care.  It's fine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sorry NAS, I thought I recalled you stating you were a goalie.

I still don't understand the opposition toshields - at least in the below nhl level, and think visors should be brought in for the league.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sorry NAS, I thought I recalled you stating you were a goalie. I still don't understand the opposition toshields - at least in the below nhl level, and think visors should be brought in for the league.
    Posted by red75

I'm weird, but not goalie-weird.

Visors should be mandatory.  There is zero reason not to have every player wearing one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : The State of Massachusetts tells me I have to wear a seat belt.  At first I didn't like it, but now, years later, I don't care.  It's fine.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The minute the government starts running the NHL ,the seatbelt comparison will become relevant.Until then.........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Posted by red75

Really does seem like a gender thing. Through many education levels in women's sports hitting and contact is not aloud the way it is in men's sports. Seems like there is a mentality to protect the women.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Which bugs me - like I've said before, I played in a full-contact league until this season (no women's hockey leagues in West Africa, go figure) I love the physical aspect. And I've heard players of no less calibre than Cammi Granato, Cassie Campbell and Geraldine Heaney say that more hitting should be allowed in the game, advocating for an adoption of the same rules as men's international play. I think it's just the antiquated nature of the IIHF falling into a very narrow minded approach to gender. Before the IIHF got involved, women played by the same rules.

Protection, like shields, is different. I consider it common sense (every player in the NHL wears a cup, but can't a shield prevent more devastating long term injury than a cup?). But harder checking? It's hockey for gawdsake

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Scary Getzlaf out for 6 Weeks : The minute the government starts running the NHL ,the seatbelt comparison will become relevant.Until then.........
    Posted by dezaruchi

Dez, in Canada at least, the government does control safety standards for almost every profession other than professional hockey player. By law you have to wear hard hats and steel toed boots on a construction site, for example. Hockey is the only profession in Canada where you're not required by law to wear the most effective protective gear. It was the Canadian government that mandated facial protection for the CFL, for example, and requires members of the Blue Jays to wear shin guards and CSA approved gloves and batting helmets. But the NHL? Not so much. In fact, by an act of Parliament, the NHL was given an exemption to labour protection standards. Those regulations are all an extension of the preventative aspect of Canada's universal health care. If you lose  an eye because you're not wearing a shield, it is paid for by my taxes. And it's not even restricted to Canadian citizens - if Chara suffers a facial injury due to a lack of a shield during a game aginst the Leafs, for example, while in Ontario, my taxes help pay for that. Same thing if he suffers that injury while playing in Canada against any of the five other Canadian teams.

Sections
Shortcuts