SCF Bruins-Blackhawks Game 5 GDT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

SCF Bruins-Blackhawks Game 5 GDT

CHICAGO (AP) - They keep tinkering, each of them, looking for any advantage they can find.

Claude Julien made a line change in Game 2 that led to a victory for the Boston Bruins. A couple of subtle adjustments by Joel Quenneville helped the Chicago Blackhawks get a big win in Game 4. Back and forth it goes. While the Bruins and Blackhawks compete on the ice, two former NHL defensemen are trying to become the 14th coach with at least two Stanley Cup titles.

"They've got a role to play, just like we do as players," Chicago forward Patrick Sharp said Friday. "Ultimately it's going to be decided on the ice, but our coaching staff, the Bruins as well, they have a lot to say with what goes on." They've already had an impact. And the next move, along with the response from the other bench, could be a deciding factor in who wins this tight series between two of the NHL's most beloved franchises.

The Blackhawks' 6-5 overtime victory in Boston on Wednesday made it a split of the first four games. The series resumes on Saturday night in Chicago, with the rest of league's coaching fraternity enjoying the chess match between two of its most accomplished members. "What has been fun to watch is, neither guy is hoping for chemistry to develop," St. Louis Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "They're not sitting on a combination. They're moving guys around to try to find something and their proactive approaches have been one of the great things about the series."

Quenneville's team appeared to be in trouble heading into Game 4. The Bruins controlled the last part of a 2-1 overtime victory in Game 2, stealing home-ice advantage from Chicago, and shut down the Blackhawks in a 2-0 victory Monday night that put Boston up 2-1 in the finals. Looking for an offensive spark, Quenneville put captain Jonathan Toews back on the same line with Patrick Kane ahead of Game 4. Toews responded with his second goal of the playoffs, and Kane had a goal and an assist. The Blackhawks' defensemen also were more active in the offensive zone, with Brent Seabrook scoring the winning goal.

Shortly after the series-tying victory, Quenneville still managed to poke fun at himself when asked about putting Toews and Kane together again. "Maybe it looks like I didn't know what I was doing," he said with a chuckle.

The moment of levity in the middle of a taut series was a prime example of why Quenneville has been so successful in his third stint as a head coach in the NHL. "I think he's always been the same guy," defenseman Duncan Keith said. "I think you always know what you're going to get with him and I think that's probably the biggest thing for us, why we have success. He's level-headed, brings that even-keel attitude to the team."

The Bruins were struggling on the second night of the series when Julien put Chris Kelly, Daniel Paille and Tyler Seguin together on the same line, and they were responsible for both of Boston's goals in a victory that gave the Bruins a split of the first two games in Chicago.

"I think Claude has always been leading the same way and kind of coaching the same way," center Patrice Bergeron said. "I think a little adjustment during the series is a little different because you're playing the same team over and over again. So it's about little tweaks here and there and I think the whole coaching staff is good at that."

Boston has made it to the playoffs in each of Julien's six seasons in charge, and two more victories would make it two Stanley Cup titles in three seasons. It also won it all in 2011, coming back to beat Vancouver in seven games after losing the first two of the series.

The same relentless approach that helped the Bruins overcome the Canucks two years ago popped up again when they staged an improbable rally in the third period of a 5-4 victory over Toronto in Game 7 of the first round of this year's postseason.

It's no coincidence that the occasionally feisty Julien was behind the bench for each victory. "I've always said I've got to be comfortable; in order to be comfortable, I've got to be myself," the 53-year-old Julien said. "As a player, I felt things. As a coach, I kind of remember those things. At the same time, when you are the coach, you are the guy that gives the direction so it's a fine line."

Tick, tock...tick, tock

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: SCF Bruins-Blackhawks Game 5 GDT

Several Bruins are playing below their ability and both games we lost were 1 goal affairs in OT. Even minimal improvement should be enough for victory though I don't want to underestimate the advantage of home ice (if the Hawks talent was the difference, we would have seen it by now.)

GO BRUINS

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Bs play best when they've been poked and their backs are against the wall so I'm feeling positve about tonight. Especially after Toews comments.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I don't expect the Bruins to get into another uncharacteristic trading of rushes with the Hawks.  Not that they don't have the ability to counter-punch.  They do.  Tonight I think we'll see them return to their more familiar lock-down, positional defense-first style with quick, efficient puck exits from their end and return to Boston with the series lead.  We know the Hawks will come out amped, understandably buoyed by the energy of the home side but the Bruins have and will handle it once again and gradually take control of the game.

As an aside Chara's already been demonstrating some chippiness in the last couple of games.  I love that.  Tonight it continues perhaps with more relish in each hit he delivers to anyone in a Chicago jersey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Go Bruins...positive thoughts!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

If you enjoyed the Bruins Super Pressing of Pittsburgh...

You'll love the Super Choking of Chicago.

I have the hunch that the Bruins will allow only one more goal in this playoff series. They will get a game winner from Jagr and another from Seguin.

Game 5 can't come soon enough!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So one Dog wants to the other Daug out ? LOL  ... I'm okay with Soderberg playing, let's see what he's got.  Maybe because he's older he'll get the nod before Caron. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

When I first saw Soderberg play in his final (Swedish league) playoff game in early March, he reminded me of Daniel Paille with slightly better hands.

Now that Paille moved up to the third line, what's wrong with another Paille (with better hands) coming into the fourth line?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

CHICAGO – Good morning from the United Center, where the Bruins will look to grab a 3-2 series lead. The Bruins might change their fourth line. Carl Soderberg took shifts on the fourth line in practice yesterday. Kaspars Daugavins was on the spare line.

However, Daugavins took the first shift on the fourth line during the morning skate. We will have to wait until warmups to determine tonight’s lineup.

Puck drop: 8 p.m. ET

Projected Blackhawks lineup:

Bryan Bickell-Jonathan Toews-Patrick Kane
    Patrick Sharp-Michal Handzus-Marian Hossa
    Brandon Saad-Andrew Shaw-Viktor Stalberg
    Marcus Kruger-Dave Bolland-Michael Frolik

Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook
    Johnny Oduya-Niklas Hjalmarsson
    Nick Leddy-Michal Rozsival

Corey Crawford
    Ray Emery

Healthy scratches: Daniel Carcillo, Jamal Mayers, Brandon Bollig, Ben Smith, Ryan Stanton

Projected Bruins lineup:

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton
    Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron-Jaromir Jagr
    Daniel Paille-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Kaspars Daugavins-Rich Peverley-Shawn Thornton

Zdeno Chara-Dennis Seidenberg
    Andrew Ference-Johnny Boychuk
    Torey Krug-Adam McQuaid

Tuukka Rask
    Anton Khudobin

Healthy scratches: Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Wade Redden, Aaron Johnson, Carl Soderberg, Jay Pandolfo, Jordan Caron

Storylines: Marian Hossa didn’t participate in today’s morning skate. Jamal Mayers took Hossa’s shifts on the second line. Joel Quenneville said Hossa will play tonight. Hossa didn’t skate prior to Game 4. Hossa also stayed off the ice yesterday… Jaromir Jagr didn’t skate this morning. Jagr has taken the option not to skate earlier in the playoffs… The Bruins went 2 for 5 on the power play in Game 4. Rich Peverley and Patrice Bergeron scored five-on-four goals… Chris Rooney and Brad Watson will be the referees. Shane Heyer and Brian Murphy will be the linesmen.

@GlobeFluto

"Julien doesn't commit to who will be on fourth line."

OUT!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I expect a much different type of game tonite. Rask bounces back in a big way & Crawford continues to be up & down. I think a bad goal maybe the turning point of the game tonite. Crawford will allow a goal on the glove hand side again & it could cause him to be feeble.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Would really love to see some hate come out in this series. The 2011 Finals turned on events like the Horton hit, Marchand using Sedin's face as a punching bag, and Lou's crybaby whining in contrast to TT's stoicism.

Even the PIT series can be traced back to the end of the 2nd period of Game 1, when the Penguins tried to goon it up and the Bs laughed them off all the way to 4 straight wins.

A series like this needs something other than "our best versus your best", and Boston needs to play with a bit of sandpaper if they're to come out on top. They haven't had any of those moments yet. MAYBE the Toews comments regarding Chara could be the catalyst, but it has to be followed up on the ice.

So c'mon boys. Those guys on the other side of the ice are trying to steal the Cup from you. Don't just try to lock down your way to the Cup. Shove their sissy-pants game down their throats, and let's see the Big Bad Bruins. I call Marchand with a big Game 5.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Lollygaggers..., the Blackhawks are lollygaggers!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Lollygaggers..., the Blackhawks are lollygaggers!

That is awesome - love that scene in Bull Durham!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to juniorfalcons19's comment:

Can Tuukka handle the pressure. I for one feel he cannot. 4-2 Chicago, with a late meaningless goal by the Bruins!
    Never again will I be doubting Thomas!

Long time since you've posted junior. Tuuka has played solid throughout ths run. I think he's the difference maker, and the better goalie. Watch for him to play a great game tonight.....and watch the Bruins fire pucks all night at Crawford's glove hand....and score.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Soderberg in . Daug out. Joe haggerty twitter as well as KPD twitter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Neutral zone trap fan here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

A feel a win... Jagr finds the back of the net.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

Soderberg in . Daug out. Joe haggerty twitter as well as KPD twitter.

Nice spot , game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final !  He could not ask for more .  We now know why he insisted to leave for the Bruins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

A feel a win... Jagr finds the back of the net.

Oh man, wouldn't be great for him to finally hit the back of the net. He's had quite a few good chances. Gotta happen!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Lots of energy in this one so far

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Bickell will try to clutch and grab Chara's stick for the remainder of the series ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

You called?

Sections
Shortcuts