Scott vs. Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Scott vs. Thornton

In response to jaymiller's comment:

I've had to watch it several times, as i didn't really see it as a beat down at all ~  it clearly looked like all helmet shots to me, even the Buffalo announcer said it looked like Thornton lost an edge.

I think it was a sneeky upper cut that got him though(watch it in slow mo)  ~ the rest were all helmet shots

I thought it looked like the last punch as ST was falling that did all of the damage. He looked like he lost an edge and got nailed as a result.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:

I've had to watch it several times, as i didn't really see it as a beat down at all ~  it clearly looked like all helmet shots to me, even the Buffalo announcer said it looked like Thornton lost an edge.

I think it was a sneeky upper cut that got him though(watch it in slow mo)  ~ the rest were all helmet shots

I didn't need to watch the actual fight.  Watch the result after.  ST was anywhere but boston after that. How many fingers?  20.  he got 2 shots to the head/ear area and that last one really did the trick.  Getting hit in the ear is painful and say goodbye to balance.  No protection on the helmet for the ear area.  Well there is but he doesn't wear it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There was no need to respond.  Thornton exists to fight the team's battles with hired goons.  If he loses, that doesn't mean the rest of the team should now fight those battles.  And Scott did nothing wrong.  He didn't cheap shot Thornton, he didn't keep hammering him after he went down, he didn't go after Krejci or Hamilton - he did what goons do.  He fought our goon and pounded him.  Carkner nearly ended Colton's career the same way.  Thornton outpointed Carkner earlier this season. So it goes.

I also don't think the team looked scared after that.  They didn't get to 3-1 playing scared, and it wasn't fear that made them repeatedly blow coverages and make terrible pinches.  Right?  They weren't shy any more than they were mailing in the effort.  What this comes down to is Scott did what he was supposed to do for the Sabres - showed that if there's another Lucic-Miller incident, Scott will be the guy to tap on Lucic's shoulder.  So they can all pull up their cullottes and be the weaselly little greasebags Lindy wants them to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

I don't think we should label Scott as a gorilla or anything else. That just sounds like how MTL describes Chara. He's a big guy who's really good at what he does. It beats Thornton and it sucks, but if Chia traded for him today, we'd all cheer his next fight in a Bs uniform no matter who he fought. Besides the guy seems like a decent guy, can't hate him for being a good fighter..

"After the game, Scott told the media that he was worried for Thornton, who only played 16 seconds in the contest before the fight.

"I was asking our trainers how he's doing. You never want to hurt somebody, I was kind of concerned after the first period; we never saw him again," Scott told masslive.com after the game. "I still don't know how he's doing, hopefully he's doing well. You hate to see someone leave the game like that.""

from http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414983

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

There was no need to respond.  Thornton exists to fight the team's battles with hired goons.  If he loses, that doesn't mean the rest of the team should now fight those battles.  And Scott did nothing wrong.  He didn't cheap shot Thornton, he didn't keep hammering him after he went down, he didn't go after Krejci or Hamilton - he did what goons do.  He fought our goon and pounded him.  Carkner nearly ended Colton's career the same way.  Thornton outpointed Carkner earlier this season. So it goes.

I also don't think the team looked scared after that.  They didn't get to 3-1 playing scared, and it wasn't fear that made them repeatedly blow coverages and make terrible pinches.  Right?  They weren't shy any more than they were mailing in the effort.  What this comes down to is Scott did what he was supposed to do for the Sabres - showed that if there's another Lucic-Miller incident, Scott will be the guy to tap on Lucic's shoulder.  So they can all pull up their cullottes and be the weaselly little greasebags Lindy wants them to be.

I disagree.  When pushed you push back.  There was zero push back from the fighting or the hitting element.  It was a team that couldn't get going after that.  If ST only means that to the bruins then he should be replaced.  He's a leader in the locker room. He fights their battles sure.  But he also takes the young guys and shows them how to be a professional.  Im no ST fan but have watched and played enough to know this.  How would you feel being ST and the team provides no push back, embarrassed at home.  

Again, when we were bullying other teams without a physical element like Montreal and Buffalo it was all bliss.  I gave Montreal and gaustad more credit then our team in those instances.  

There was 57 minutes left in that game.  If you don't wanna fight then make a big hit.  Check out our hit stats.  Wait until Kaleta gets back in the lineup.  It's similar to Marchand.  it makes you a foot taller when you physically can dominate another team.  Well I didn't see the Lucic horton Marchand Campbell chara doing much after that fight.  after ruff and his punkish move I would hope the next game in buffalo starts with mcQ chara Horton Lucic and lane.  I don't care about losing any of those players for 5 Minutes.  game 8 and we are concerned about a 5 minute trade off.  They have other guys.  Ott was quiet as a mouse.  Wait until he, Kaleta Scott get rocking in buffalo.  we will see how big and bad we are.  Hopefully they can pull the tail out between their legs bc the zero response is what we laughed at Montreal and buffalo.  Not so much now.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupe - I was going to add two things, one of them that the shots to the ear looked brutal to me. The other was that, despite what I wrote above, I would have loved for the Bruins to be ultra-aggressive at any point in the game if it meant that Ruff would send Scott over the boards again. Not to fight him, but so they could score.  Plus, Scott's a LW.  Vanek's a LW.  If Scott's on the ice, Vanek's not.  Sending the message that they aren't intimidated by the goon is just a bonus.

BPB72 - Describing a Norris Trophy winner and perennial finalist who plays more than 25 min. a game as a goon or a gorilla is goofy.  Calling a guy who gets 4 min/game and who has 5 career points in 153 NHL games - and 248 Pims - a gorilla, goon, clown, thug, designated pugilist or whatever else is just...accurate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from alldaypowerplay. Show alldaypowerplay's posts

Bookboy and BigPapaBear got it right.  Nothing more to be gained at that point by trying to take on Scott, Ott, Miller or anyone else.  Scott does seem like a decent guy who has it all in perspective.  During the broadcast Edwards was saying that Scott was standing up in the box looking over at Thornton, but I'd bet he was asking him if he's alright.  If you've played hockey you know these types of players are a fraternity within a fraternity and have the highest respect for each other.  It's the worst role in hockey and eventually they all go down and suffer some lasting effects.

It's a long season, plenty of time for other battles to develop as the schedule plays out.  The B's will answer the bell in the proper setting.  In the meantime, Buffalo earned some well-deserved (and probably long overdue) respect last night.  The only problem I had was Ruff's timeout with 14 seconds left or whatever it was.  That calls for some payback.

In response to BigPapaBear72's comment:

I don't think we should label Scott as a gorilla or anything else. That just sounds like how MTL describes Chara. He's a big guy who's really good at what he does. It beats Thornton and it sucks, but if Chia traded for him today, we'd all cheer his next fight in a Bs uniform no matter who he fought. Besides the guy seems like a decent guy, can't hate him for being a good fighter..

"After the game, Scott told the media that he was worried for Thornton, who only played 16 seconds in the contest before the fight.

"I was asking our trainers how he's doing. You never want to hurt somebody, I was kind of concerned after the first period; we never saw him again," Scott told masslive.com after the game. "I still don't know how he's doing, hopefully he's doing well. You hate to see someone leave the game like that.""

from http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414983

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

shupe - I was going to add two things, one of them that the shots to the ear looked brutal to me. The other was that, despite what I wrote above, I would have loved for the Bruins to be ultra-aggressive at any point in the game if it meant that Ruff would send Scott over the boards again. Not to fight him, but so they could score.  Plus, Scott's a LW.  Vanek's a LW.  If Scott's on the ice, Vanek's not.  Sending the message that they aren't intimidated by the goon is just a bonus.

BPB72 - Describing a Norris Trophy winner and perennial finalist who plays more than 25 min. a game as a goon or a gorilla is goofy.  Calling a guy who gets 4 min/game and who has 5 career points in 153 NHL games - and 248 Pims - a gorilla, goon, clown, thug, designated pugilist or whatever else is just...accurate.

Book.  I think all of us would hate to lose chara.  Most important player on any team in the league.  No way he loses that badly.  We saw him against koci.  Sometimes you gotta take back what is lost.  He had a stinker game so maybe the 5 minutes would have helped him get the fire.  He plays better when mad.  He had no hits and the stupid -3 stat.    I have no issue with one of the most feared fighters making amends for a team mate.  Not only does it show what type of leader he is it also shows that this team isn't gonna worry about one moron.  

Team.  Not one guy.  All guys sticking together.  Someone should have grabbed Ott the next time he was on.  It's not just Scott.  Go make a huge hit.  Get into the trenches.  No one did anything.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

shupe, I think our whole disagreement is around what that fight meant.  How is sending Scott out against our 4th line a punkish move?  It happens every night in the NHL.  Those two have a personal history going back to the incident in Chicago.  They engaged in a bout that was in every way consistent with "the code".  I don't see that there was any crime that needed a response other than that Thornton got hurt.  And to answer your question directly, if I'm Thornton I feel worse if Lucic or Chara or McQuaid feel like they have to go after Scott because I lost a fair fight.  It means I've produced a situation that is the polar opposite of the result I was seeking.  If the whole thing began with a cheapshot, or Scott had done something other than just win a fair fight, I'd agree with you whole-heartedly.  As it is, I agree that the Bruins shouldn't get out-hit by the Sabres.  It was 20-17 officially - hardly a whitewash - and while it's never good for Chara to pitch a no-hitter, I'm not sure I trust the official stat line when Hamilton also has a 0 but I remember him filling in one of the Sabres at centre in the first period.  I remember thinking it was potentially a bad pinch because the loose puck continued into the Bruins end with Sabres in pursuit.

The Bruins dominated the puck in the first period (you throw a lot fewer hits when you're constantly cycling the puck in the offensive zone).  They had twice as many shots as the Sabres in the third.  They could have won this game if they could have broken through and tied the game on the PP on the double minor, even though they had a lousy game.  They're a better team when they're more physical, and the margin here was slim enough that it could have made the differnce.  But then...game 3 in four nights.  I suppose that should temper criticism.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Book.  I think all of us would hate to lose chara.  Most important player on any team in the league.  No way he loses that badly.  We saw him against koci.  Sometimes you gotta take back what is lost.  He had a stinker game so maybe the 5 minutes would have helped him get the fire.  He plays better when mad.  He had no hits and the stupid -3 stat.    I have no issue with one of the most feared fighters making amends for a team mate.  Not only does it show what type of leader he is it also shows that this team isn't gonna worry about one moron.  

Team.  Not one guy.  All guys sticking together.  Someone should have grabbed Ott the next time he was on.  It's not just Scott.  Go make a huge hit.  Get into the trenches.  No one did anything.  

Shupe, Chara hurt his hand beating up Koci. It affected his play all year and required off-season surgery to correct it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

shupe, I think our whole disagreement is around what that fight meant.  How is sending Scott out against our 4th line a punkish move?  It happens every night in the NHL.  Those two have a personal history going back to the incident in Chicago.  They engaged in a bout that was in every way consistent with "the code".  I don't see that there was any crime that needed a response other than that Thornton got hurt.  And to answer your question directly, if I'm Thornton I feel worse if Lucic or Chara or McQuaid feel like they have to go after Scott because I lost a fair fight.  It means I've produced a situation that is the polar opposite of the result I was seeking.  If the whole thing began with a cheapshot, or Scott had done something other than just win a fair fight, I'd agree with you whole-heartedly.  As it is, I agree that the Bruins shouldn't get out-hit by the Sabres.  It was 20-17 officially - hardly a whitewash - and while it's never good for Chara to pitch a no-hitter, I'm not sure I trust the official stat line when Hamilton also has a 0 but I remember him filling in one of the Sabres at centre in the first period.  I remember thinking it was potentially a bad pinch because the loose puck continued into the Bruins end with Sabres in pursuit.

The Bruins dominated the puck in the first period (you throw a lot fewer hits when you're constantly cycling the puck in the offensive zone).  They had twice as many shots as the Sabres in the third.  They could have won this game if they could have broken through and tied the game on the PP on the double minor, even though they had a lousy game.  They're a better team when they're more physical, and the margin here was slim enough that it could have made the differnce.  But then...game 3 in four nights.  I suppose that should temper criticism.

Thankfully, Cam Neely didn't feel the need for vengeance every time Miller lost to Kordic.
    Hamilton got Ennis with that hit. If he was credited with 0 hits it only proves that the stats guys have bad nights too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Thornton has concussion...Tardif brought up to replace him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My last attempt a brevity on this, shupe: I agree that I would have like to see the Bruins play a more physical game.  I just don't think that has anything to do with Scott v. Thornton.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm not Thorntons biggest fan, but he got caught with one, it happens. I hope he's okay.

I keep hearing Chara should have went after Scott..Why?? Makes no sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

I don't care what anyone says, I want to see Big Z knock Scott's teeth out all over the ice next time we play these a z z-holes. I want Big 33 to make Scott bleed badly. Beat his face in severely!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Sending him out after the timeout?  Ruff is a pile of donkey doo doo. He would be losing his mind If any team did this.  Throwing them off was something everyone knew would happen.  Had ST held his own and lost I still believe there should have been a physical pushback.  It gives them confidence.  It was lacking last night. 

The Scott fight I believe gives them an edge.  The bruins have played bully hockey for a few years and it worked.  Scott took the one element we dominated.  No one is going to push this team around.  At the time I thought the fight meant little bc I expected a night of fireworks and hits.  These teams hate each other.  From the coaches to the players.  

The game like you said was closer then the score dictated but where was the physical play. Puck possession does not mean less physical play.  We aren't Detroit.  This is a big mean team that looked soft after that fight.   A game where our monster doesn't lay one hit isn't sitting well with me.  If he doesn't wanna fight shouldn't he rise up and smear some players.  

Again.  The next game will tell me a lot about this team. The next game with the sabres.  Kaleta Ott and Scott in buffalo.  Will be very interesting to see what this team does.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x. Show golden9x's posts

Anyone notice Scott look at the Bruins bench right after the last punch and indicate a number one finger...no, not that one.....as in "one down...."....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from alldaypowerplay. Show alldaypowerplay's posts

THAT I agree with.  Tough to draw conclusions about the B's grit after one game that was the 3rd in 4 nights.  Sucked seeing Thorty go down like that and wind up with a concussion.  I just think we lose much more if we tee up Chara or Looch against Scott.  Now if they want to sign Rampage Jackson...

But this team and its sandpaper aren't going anywhere over the long run.

Sending him out after the timeout?  Ruff is a pile of donkey doo doo. He would be losing his mind If any team did this.  Throwing them off was something everyone knew would happen.  Had ST held his own and lost I still believe there should have been a physical pushback.  It gives them confidence.  It was lacking last night. 

The Scott fight I believe gives them an edge.  The bruins have played bully hockey for a few years and it worked.  Scott took the one element we dominated.  No one is going to push this team around.  At the time I thought the fight meant little bc I expected a night of fireworks and hits.  These teams hate each other.  From the coaches to the players.  

The game like you said was closer then the score dictated but where was the physical play. Puck possession does not mean less physical play.  We aren't Detroit.  This is a big mean team that looked soft after that fight.   A game where our monster doesn't lay one hit isn't sitting well with me.  If he doesn't wanna fight shouldn't he rise up and smear some players.  

Again.  The next game will tell me a lot about this team. The next game with the sabres.  Kaleta Ott and Scott in buffalo.  Will be very interesting to see what this team does.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'm not Thorntons biggest fan, but he got caught with one, it happens. I hope he's okay.

I keep hearing Chara should have went after Scott..Why?? Makes no sense.

I just want to be clear as well.  I don't believe chara needs to fight!  I don't think anyone has to fight Scott.  but edge sabres right now bc of it.  IMO anyway.  I believe as a team after that they need to come together and ensure that they continue to pound bodies.  They sure did numbers on other teams and it was cheered and flaunted in here.  How is it different today?  How is it different  when we bullied Montreal and buffalo.  I've seen chara jump in on dog piles with komisarek.  I've seen him fight.   I'm not calling him scared bc it's not the case.  But how are those occasions different then now. 

Dez.  Chara fought Neil and reghr.  Sorry stupid iPad.  He fought Neil after he thumped seidz I believe.  Where is the difference.  Wait.  Yes ST gets paid for this.  But he is a teammate.  He isn't a sacrificial lamb Sent out to die.  

Im agreeing with you all that chara shouldn't be fighting him.  I just see a momentum swing bc of this.  If you don't see it that's fine.  Gaustad and others all answered the bell against the bruins who use bully tactics.   I didn't see it after that.  I saw mcQ trying to engage foligno but I didn't see one scrum after.  It's not all about Scott.  They sure didn't mind last year when Scott wasn't there.  Did one player get in millers grill last night?   

I will ask a question.  how to the bruins approach this next game against them.  Or against Toronto with Orr.  What now?   Do we turn into a team that backs down bc we don't wanna lose a player for 5 minutes.  If Scott runs rask next game should someone respond?  What if game is silly to play.  But you gotta wonder how they respond in buffalo.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

from Twitter "John Scott not 'just some English pig with no brains.' Degree in mech. engineering from Mich. Tech. Coached by PC assistant Jamie Russell"

"I was asking our trainers how he's doing. You never want to hurt somebody, I was kind of concerned after the first period; we never saw him again," Scott said. "I still don't know how he's doing, hopefully he's doing well. You hate to see someone leave the game like that."

I hate the uniform Scott wears and why Ruff was grinning but he is aloright in my book.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And just a quick follow up with example.  Everyone remembers the game against Dallas a few yrs back.  Do the bruins not play better when they are doing the pushing around.  Again. Buffalo has more then one guy.  As soon as that fight ended being the eye for eye type I am.  I'm throwing all my heavies on.  and the next game in buffalo I'm doing the same.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

from Twitter "John Scott not 'just some English pig with no brains.' Degree in mech. engineering from Mich. Tech. Coached by PC assistant Jamie Russell"

"I was asking our trainers how he's doing. You never want to hurt somebody, I was kind of concerned after the first period; we never saw him again," Scott said. "I still don't know how he's doing, hopefully he's doing well. You hate to see someone leave the game like that."

I hate the uniform Scott wears and why Ruff was grinning but he is aloright in my book.

Also charged at university for drunken assault.  He's a tool.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He also looked over the glass grinning and I'm pretty sure his words about pounding him to shut him up were more sincere then the I hope he's ok.  I'm pretty sure he laughed it up after it.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

He also looked over the glass grinning and I'm pretty sure his words about pounding him to shut him up were more sincere then the I hope he's ok.  I'm pretty sure he laughed it up after it.  

And I think if you watch the fight again, it looks like Scott does the Shhhhh to the Bruins bench...

At the end of the day, it's simple: score goals, take the lead, and John Scott's name will not be said once next game...

He's a big fighter who get's nervous with the puck on his stick and can't skate...

I can't imagine the Bruins will play a worse defensive game than that all year, especially Chara...

So limit Vanek, take the lead, and this isn't even an issue unless a Bruins player wants to make it one by fighting him...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Also charged at university for drunken assault.  He's a tool.

Yah your right guys don't normally get into fights in college my bad.

PS. Thornton chirps all game long so mentioning that Scott chirped back to the Bruins bench is irrelevant!

Sections
Shortcuts