Scott vs. Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Scott vs. Thornton

C'mon.  We line brawled a Montreal team with not one fighter.  We essentially did the same thing to a buffalo team with not one proven fighter.  I think this entire bad trade off line is bs.  Lucic took down Cartner.  Who took out boogie man.  Cartner is a much more useful player but its still a bad trade off.  chara had no issue tangling with reghr last year.  Buffalo landed the biggest bully out there.  They also added the best rat in Ott.   

My point is that someone should have done something.  After seeing the big brother(ST) go down like that not one guy had his back.  Brutal. 

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  The Bruins are about team toughness, not having the biggest ape in the zoo.  Remember when Ott busted up Campbell after the opening faceoff.  That stunk.  So Thornton and McQuaid immediately fought to try to turn the momentum back around.  That's what I would have liked to see last night.  Someone else get their nose dirty.  The Sabres want Scott to fight, get to the bench, and then not have anyone else have to fight.  Why oblige them?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

To be clear, I am totally against Chara or Lucic fighting Scott.  It makes no sense on any level to have your best players swinging away with the hired goon.  But the Bruins have bullied the Sabres around very effectively in recent years and to just abandon that advantage because Thornton got beat up is silly.  Play tough, chippy hockey on every shift against the Sabres and then force Ruff to send Scott out chasing people around, or have Stafford, Ott, Weber, and the like actually have to stick up for themselves.

If 6'8, 260 lb. Scott can call on 6'1, 215 lb. Thronton (or anyone), then why can't Lucic call out Stafford or Myers?  At least try.  I don't really care that there weren't a whole bunch of fights last night, but the Bruins didn't really stick to their Sabre gameplan either, which has to include playing tough, fiesty, hockey.  Throw hits, rattle Miller, push Vanek around, etc.  

And yes, Scott is a big ape with a checkered past.  We're not talking about a dormatory fist fight in college, we're talking about intentionally ramming somebody with your car while you're loaded behind the wheel.  Multiple felonies there.  He's a bum.  That said, I don't have any problem with what he did last night, except that it worked so darn well for the Sabres. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

from Twitter "John Scott not 'just some English pig with no brains.' Degree in mech. engineering from Mich. Tech. Coached by PC assistant Jamie Russell"

"I was asking our trainers how he's doing. You never want to hurt somebody, I was kind of concerned after the first period; we never saw him again," Scott said. "I still don't know how he's doing, hopefully he's doing well. You hate to see someone leave the game like that."

I hate the uniform Scott wears and why Ruff was grinning but he is aloright in my book.

Sound like anothe Rob Zombie lol . I went thru all the post to see if anyone put this in here. Nice job Sandog. I to have a lot of respect for Jon Scott doing this, but at the same time it goes to show you how much respect a guy like ST has as well. He obviously gets a lot of respect else where not just on the B's. A show of class by Scott, regardless of the "goon" title.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Sound like anothe Rob Zombie lol . I went thru all the post to see if anyone put this in here. Nice job Sandog. I to have a lot of respect for Jon Scott doing this, but at the same time it goes to show you how much respect a guy like ST has as well. He obviously gets a lot of respect else where not just on the B's. A show of class by Scott, regardless of the "goon" title.

[/QUOTE]

Is this serious? I mean, I'm sure Scott's an okay guy and I don't have any problem with what he did to Thornton, but do we have to praise his 'class' now?  

Do you know how easy it is to get into Michigan Tech if you're being recruited by the hockey team?  It is one of the weaker NCAA hockey schools academically, but kudos to him on getting a degree anyway.  What isn't so easy is getting kicked off the hockey team when you're on a scholarship, you know, for multiple felony charges including aggravated DUI.  He was a thug in college.  I watched him play.

As for his comments about Thornton, that's pretty much what any hockey player says when any other player gets injured.  But I also saw him taunting the Bruins bench, while Thornton was struggling to get up off the ice.  What a "show of class"...

C'mon, be serious.  We don't have to kiss up to him because he won.  Don't go soft on me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Any Bruins fan that doesn't think the result of the TKO didn't have an impact on the rest of the team is kidding themselves.  The B's need to sign a skating clown with size if they are going to fight fire with fire against the Sabres.  Thornton will never win a fight vs. Scott, too small.  And if you don't want Z & Looch to fight him because he is a bum and they are top flight players, then the B's need to get someone else in with size that can have a punchers chance at hanging with him.  Bobby, Lane, or Tyler haven't won very many fights in the A this year and certainly wouldn't be able to handle Scott.  I would invest in someone like Steve MacIntyre if the Pens were willing to trade him for a low level prospect.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Also charged at university for drunken assault.  He's a tool.

Yah your right guys don't normally get into fights in college my bad.

PS. Thornton chirps all game long so mentioning that Scott chirped back to the Bruins bench is irrelevant!

San, he honestly doesn't sound like a very good guy.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.ca/2006/04/john-scott-named-2005-06-bad-boy-of.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To be clear, I am totally against Chara or Lucic fighting Scott.  It makes no sense on any level to have your best players swinging away with the hired goon.

I agree with you, except that Chara was far from one of the B's best players last night.  I wouldn't have minded to see him sitting for 5 minutes.  Worst game I have seen him play in a B's uniform.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To be clear, I am totally against Chara or Lucic fighting Scott.  It makes no sense on any level to have your best players swinging away with the hired goon.

I agree with you, except that Chara was far from one of the B's best players last night.  I wouldn't have minded to see him sitting for 5 minutes.  Worst game I have seen him play in a B's uniform.

Five minutes wouldn't be so bad if that's all it would be. Getting hurt in a fight with Scott and being out with an injury ? Not so good. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Any Bruins fan that doesn't think the result of the TKO didn't have an impact on the rest of the team is kidding themselves.  The B's need to sign a skating clown with size if they are going to fight fire with fire against the Sabres.  Thornton will never win a fight vs. Scott, too small.  And if you don't want Z & Looch to fight him because he is a bum and they are top flight players, then the B's need to get someone else in with size that can have a punchers chance at hanging with him.  Bobby, Lane, or Tyler haven't won very many fights in the A this year and certainly wouldn't be able to handle Scott.  I would invest in someone like Steve MacIntyre if the Pens were willing to trade him for a low level prospect.

Simple question.  Can Looch kick John Scott's ass?  If the answer is no, I agree with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Why does everyone assume if Chara fought Scott that he would win easily?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

If Thornton has a concussion does it make sense for him to even return in 7-10 days? Coming off a concussion I would assume he won't be fighting anyone for a long time, and fighting is all he really brings to the ice. Would make sense to shelve him for a while, imo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

He probably wouldn't. In fact, he'd probably lose his balance about 3 seconds into the fight and the refs would break it up. They are the same size, but one is in the NHL because he's good, and the other is in the NHL because he's large and can beat people up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to mattc355's comment:

Simple question.  Can Looch kick John Scott's ass?  If the answer is no, I agree with you.

IDK if Looch or Z can beat Scott.  But I think they would have a better chance at beating him then #22, just because of their size.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

If Thornton has a concussion does it make sense for him to even return in 7-10 days? Coming off a concussion I would assume he won't be fighting anyone for a long time, and fighting is all he really brings to the ice. Would make sense to shelve him for a while, imo.

Some here will say everyone responds differently when recovering from concussions, but I agree with you 100%.  How many games did Orr play last year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

He probably wouldn't. In fact, he'd probably lose his balance about 3 seconds into the fight and the refs would break it up. They are the same size, but one is in the NHL because he's good, and the other is in the NHL because he's large and can beat people up.

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't ahve said it better.  Exactly what I was thinking.  People think Z is a great fighter.  This he is not.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

It's because Chara's just as big and strong as Scott with the added bonus of being able to skate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I couldn't ahve said it better.  Exactly what I was thinking.  People think Z is a great fighter.  This he is not.  

[/QUOTE]

I think he's a terrific fighter. A couple of times he has fought true heavyweights (Laraque,Brashear) his size was almost used against him..Anyways, unless John Scott does something stupid (doesn't strike me as that type of goon) while Chara is on the ice, there is no need for Chara to drop the gloves with John Scott...I think John Scott is getting alot more attention that he deserves...His impact on lasts night game pales in comparison to what Vanek did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Chara can handle Scott, and should have taken the initiative.. Especially being the captain and sticking up for ST who has always backed his teamates.... This time they let him down..that was disappointing to me.. And don't think the rest of the league didn't take notice... Next game against Leafs is going to be a doozy, and Bruins tough guys better show up as they will be challenged..

Last night Lucic , MacDermid ( still wondering why he dressed) Chara , and McQuaid  came up pretty small.. They should have laid a hurting on some Sabres as payback...Its like Scott was the policeman last night and everyone was on their best behaviour... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

PS. Thornton chirps all game long so mentioning that Scott chirped back to the Bruins bench is irrelevant!

A frind of mine once drove his car into his  ex-girls car then smacked her around a bit. I kept my distance from him for a few years and let him know that was unexceptable. Then we became friends again a few years later when I was convinced he was fine and so did his ex-girlfriend.

I get your point and I know I probably can't convince you of forgiving someone or I don't know what time frame you might have for forgiving an athlete for doing domething dumb on a campus or in public. However how I feel is- How long do you make someone pay ? or judge them for something that happened years ago ?

Remember allot of posters on here still had a problem with what Corvo did years ago ?

I didn't have a problem with what happened with Corvos incident last year (but I did at the time of teh incident) becuase I think some people or a few jocks, who couldn't control their tempers when they were young, can change. That's all if you still think he's a punk or a jerk no worries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

A frind of mine once drove his car into his  ex-girls car then smacked her around a bit. I kept my distance from him for a few years and let him know that was unexceptable. Then we became friends again a few years later when I was convinced he was fine and so did his ex-girlfriend.

I get your point and I know I probably can't convince you of forgiving someone or I don't know what time frame you might have for forgiving an athlete for doing domething dumb on a campus or in public. However how I feel is- How long do you make someone pay ? or judge them for something that happened years ago ?

Remember allot of posters on here still had a problem with what Corvo did years ago ?

I didn't have a problem with what happened with Corvos incident last year (but I did at the time of teh incident) becuase I think some people or a few jocks, who couldn't control their tempers when they were young, can change. That's all if you still think he's a punk or a jerk no worries.

San, I actually don't have much of an opinion on Scott other than his being a tough dude that is an awful skater (for a pro). I was just pointing out that that his behavior went well past a drunk scrap in college. I personally know many people I'd say are worse than him. So be it. He means nothing to me. Cheers!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

There was no need to respond.  Thornton exists to fight the team's battles with hired goons.  If he loses, that doesn't mean the rest of the team should now fight those battles.  And Scott did nothing wrong.  He didn't cheap shot Thornton, he didn't keep hammering him after he went down, he didn't go after Krejci or Hamilton - he did what goons do.  He fought our goon and pounded him.  Carkner nearly ended Colton's career the same way.  Thornton outpointed Carkner earlier this season. So it goes.

I also don't think the team looked scared after that.  They didn't get to 3-1 playing scared, and it wasn't fear that made them repeatedly blow coverages and make terrible pinches.  Right?  They weren't shy any more than they were mailing in the effort.  What this comes down to is Scott did what he was supposed to do for the Sabres - showed that if there's another Lucic-Miller incident, Scott will be the guy to tap on Lucic's shoulder.  So they can all pull up their cullottes and be the weaselly little greasebags Lindy wants them to be.

Agree with this.  That's the game, but it's so goofy when you think about it...

Lucic hits Miller....so

Gaustad gets pounded by Lucic...so

Scott pounds Thornton

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to zamboni24's comment:

In response to golden9x's comment:

Anyone know the extent and nature of Thorton's injury?

Didn't look good. Usually hear updates during the game but things stayed way too quiet. Scott looks like he could give anyone in the NHL a run for the money including Chara. Hits like that can be virtual career enders. Looks like concussion city to me with extended recovery time.

Agree with this.  How many times have we seen this? Savard & Horton suffered a 2nd concussion relatively quickly following their first and missed large amounts of time.  As did Bergeron.

Boogaard was the top heavyweight until Carkner caught him.  Lost his edge after that.  Being an enforcer with a bad melon is not sustainable. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Thornton gets nothing but respect from me but if you pick a fight with a guy that has 7inches on you and 60pds what do you expect to happen. If chara had any fortitude he would have been the one fighting he is our captain isn't he. Scott is a skating goon with no talent at all, thorts already has a goal this season he isn't a top nine guy but he is a great fourth liner. It was tough loss but were still the team to beat in the east. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A lot of good points here, but the calls for Chara to fight Scott instead of Thornton is just ridiculous. That is the only reason Thornton is on the team. So Chara (or insert other skill player) doesn't have to fight guys like Scott.  That's his value.  And Thornton did his job.  He even made sure to do it on his first shift, so there would not be an opportunity for anyone else to get Scott.  I respect that.  Good on Thornton.  Too bad he got pummeled, but he's the only one who should be fighting Scott.  Period.

Keep our Norris caliber defensmen on the ice, and let side-show Scott do his thing.  Lucic and Chara should decline every invite to go with that guy.  And if Scott does something dirty or picks on smaller guys, take it out on Vanek.  Eye for an eye that way.  Fighting Scott does nothing for the Bruins and is a risk.  Pick on the other Sabres.  Having one big ape doesn't get you team toughness.  The Sabres can still be exploited for being soft!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

I agree that all people can be redeemed.  I also have a friend that has done some time for very bad things.  I'm just not ready to celebrate Scott's 'class'.  He did exactly what he was supposed to do last night and I don't begrudge him for it.  But I've never liked him much because of his past and my general lack of respect for NHL goons who's hockey skill is so poor.  Last night didn't really change my feelings one way or the other.  Although I do feel more bitter towards Lindy Ruff for some reason. 

Sections
Shortcuts