Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11

pardon me while i take a swig of this here kool-aid and put on my glasses, but i have complete unwaivering faith that clode will do what is necessary when the time comes. hey, the guy's a stanley cup winning coach. i think he has proven himself as competent. can't wait for saturday's game, and see how the team plays under "normal' circumstances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11:
    [QUOTE]pardon me while i take a swig of this here kool-aid and put on my glasses, but i have complete unwaivering faith that clode will do what is necessary when the time comes. hey, the guy's a stanley cup winning coach. i think he has proven himself as competent. can't wait for saturday's game, and see how the team plays under "normal' circumstances.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    Me too ADK. A tough opponent that's looking for revenge. It should be a great game. Speaking of revenge, am I the only 1 looking forward to the next time we play Philly? I was willing to give Giroux a pass regarding his hit on Bergeron but after last night, I can't wait to see him get wrecked. Cheap move on Seguin with under 3 seconds left to play. I actually wondered if Shanahan might have a look at it since Giroux did make contact with Seguin's head.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If all you saw of the game was the extended highlights on NHL.com, you'd think the Bruins generated about 50 scoring chances and whiffed on more of them than Bryz stopped - a Seguin whiff, Horton heeling it on an open net right into Timmonen's stick, Marchand finding glove with half the net to shoot at.  Funny what seeing that condensed version of the game brings forward.  In that highlight package, Marchand looked like Fleury in his prime - small shifty speedy guy.  Seguin looked like a completely different animal than last year.  Chara looked a few weeks from mid-season form on the Giroux goal - he played the puck, didn't play it hard enough, and got burned.  Would have loved to see Thomas do the body check on Giroux on that play, though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11:
    [QUOTE]Game 1 in the books and it was a great start but just that.. Game 1. Just a couple of personal observations. 1) I now remember why I dont like Doc Emmerick. I want to "knife" him. 2) The boys looked a step slow and were fighting the puck a bit. 3) Philly is going to field a pretty good team this year. 4) Seguin needs to play on a line with some skill. Kelly doesnt cut it. 5) The B's will be fine
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]
    I think that was pretty evident. Kelly, we know, is somewhat offensively challenged. I still for the life of me, can't figure out how he didn't score on that pass from I believe Seguin. His side of the net was wide open.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11 : If the Fyers keep playing like this, which I think they will, how awesome will it be for Holmgren to walk by all his doubters with such a smug look on his face ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    No doubt he picked up good pieces. He's a good, aggressive GM. His only fault is that he is AWFUL, absolutely AWFUL in handing out contracts-you have to wonder if he's had about 5 beers before he sits down with agents.

Also, on another note, how solid did Couturier look last night, primarily in a defensive role? I wanted this kid real bad, Philly got an absolute steal, imo. A rookie, in his first game, on the PK. Played a moderately physical game and made some nice passes, went hard to the net a few times. He's gonna be a good one when all is said and done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11 : No doubt he picked up good pieces. He's a good, aggressive GM. His only fault is that he is AWFUL, absolutely AWFUL in handing out contracts-you have to wonder if he's had about 5 beers before he sits down with agents. Also, on another note, how solid did Couturier look last night, primarily in a defensive role? I wanted this kid real bad, Philly got an absolute steal, imo. A rookie, in his first game, on the PK. Played a moderately physical game and made some nice passes, went hard to the net a few times. He's gonna be a good one when all is said and done.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]
    He didn't look at all out of place. Great showing for his 1st NHL game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11 : He didn't look at all out of place. Great showing for his 1st NHL game. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Scary confident is what I saw Howson is going to regret that one Guys. I mean don't get me wrong I like Carter allot and will help Columbus in the mean time, great player but Courtier looks like a real good draft pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Remember Courturier was the the favored #1 pick for much of last year until the emergence of RNH, Landeskog, and Huberdeau. Then there were the surprise picks like Sheifele and all of a sudden poor Sean dropped to 8th much to the shock of many. I was silently hoping he would be around for the B's to pick up.

Due to his excellent hockey sense and 2 way play he is destined for a long an prosperous career. In short, Columbus got screwed.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Remember Courturier was the the favored #1 pick for much of last year until the emergence of RNH, Landeskog, and Huberdeau. Then there were the surprise picks like Sheifele and all of a sudden poor Sean dropped to 8th much to the shock of many. I was silently hoping he would be around for the B's to pick up. Due to his excellent hockey sense and 2 way play he is destined for a long an prosperous career. In short, Columbus got screwed.....
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    I believe he had mono as well, Pierre said that factored a bit in his drop (down the draft board, and therefore his play). He's like Jordan Staal, except he's got more offensive talent and more of an offensive ceiling. Shutdown defender, big body, hard to get off the puck, good vision. 

And he was on the PK last night if I'm not mistaken, too. Says a lot about the confidence that Lavs has in a rookie, against the defending champs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Remember Courturier was the the favored #1 pick for much of last year until the emergence of RNH, Landeskog, and Huberdeau. Then there were the surprise picks like Sheifele and all of a sudden poor Sean dropped to 8th much to the shock of many. I was silently hoping he would be around for the B's to pick up. Due to his excellent hockey sense and 2 way play he is destined for a long an prosperous career. In short, Columbus got screwed.....
    I cannot tell you how pissed off I was when Holmgren took him. He'd be a PERFECT fit for Claude's system, and I think he'd have a great chance of not only making the team, but being the 3rd line Centre on opening night. Him and Seguin would be scary in the years going forward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Yep, I was almost leaping out of my chair and spilling my beer all over the place as the draft progressed to the b's 9th spot. Couturier would have made Kelly expendable and has way more offensive upside then Chris....oh, what could have been.

Not complaining about Hamilton though...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yep, I was almost leaping out of my chair and spilling my beer all over the place as the draft progressed to the b's 9th spot. Couturier would have made Kelly expendable and has way more offensive upside then Chris....oh, what could have been. Not complaining about Hamilton though...
    As much as I liked Couturier, I would've been disappointed had PC drafted another C instead of a D.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11 : As much as I liked Couturier, I would've been disappointed had PC drafted another C instead of a D.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I would have too and I agree with what you're saying except, for me, Couturier was such a solid all-around player, he'd be too good to pass up. I want to see Seguin at Centre, and obviously he wouldn't if we had Sean. But, to me at least, Couturier would be the ONLY player worth getting to keep Seguin away from Centre and on the wing (if we would go the forward route in the draft).

Philly got a really good player, but I believe we did as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Maybe. I am of the mind that drafting the best player available rather than going by need is the better strategy. If the D is thin then a trade can be made but some players can only be obtained through the draft or via fee agency although that is a more expensive option.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Yesterday's Toronto Star, in their NHL Preview pull-out section has the Flyers finishing 9th stating "The departures of Mike Richards and Jeff Carter will be felt this season even with the young talent they got in return. 

The acquisition of Ilya Bryzgalov gives Philadelphia the top-flight goaltending it has been missing but the team is going to take a step back offensively - unless Jaromir Jagr can magically turn back the clock.  The Flyers will be the East's big surprise for the wrong reasons." 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I believe it was Sportsnet that had Philly in 9th as well RHO. Personally I think it will come down to if Bryzgalov can hold the fort on a consistent basis. He had it relatively easy in Phoenix. No pressure and "Lemaire lite" in Dave Tippett....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11 :  His only fault is that he is AWFUL, absolutely AWFUL in handing out contracts-you have to wonder if he's had about 5 beers before he sits down with agents. Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]

Not as bad as Tallon and PC got carried away on a few but yes Paul had to have been tipsy on a few contracts. If Holmgren hadn't traded Richards his NMC would have kicked in when the season started.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]considering i was ready for a nap after that video/cup skating/banner-raising, it was a surprise that the team looked as good as they did. i know they are professional athletes, but maintaining a focus on a hockey game had to be difficult last night. the game was almost a sidenote to the pre-game celebration. i mean, one minute you're skating the stanley cup around the arena, then 15 minutes later pronger is looking to paste you to the boards. think about last year during the playoffs, that mental image of chara sitting quietly in the lockerroom focusing before the game. as great as that was for all of them to experience, i bet they are glad it is over. get that focus back and get ready for saturday night. btw, the garden crowd was horrible last night. the yelling/heckling while jacobs was speaking was classless. for the rest of the game, they were asleep i think. granted, nothing compares to playoff intensity, but this was a close competitive game that the bruins were in the whole way. the fans sat on their hands like they were disinterested because it wasn't a playoff game or something. overall i'd give the team a C+, they will need to be better on saturday.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    maybe because Jacobs sounded like a liar and a phony. the heckling was actually  less intense  than usual.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I believe it was Sportsnet that had Philly in 9th as well RHO. Personally I think it will come down to if Bryzgalov can hold the fort on a consistent basis. He had it relatively easy in Phoenix. No pressure and "Lemaire lite" in Dave Tippett....

jay - You're right.  SportsNet did have them at 9th.  The Star had them on the outside looking in on the top 8 along with the Leafs in 10th, Canes at 11th, NYI in the 12 hole, Jets 13th, Florida in at 14 and the Sens 15th.  It's the Devils who are supposed to slip into Philly's spot among the top 8 seeds according to The Star.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Pierre et al. had a complete lovefest on for Jagr. Let's see him at the 60 game mark or maybe after  40 games and see if the hard work and backchecking are still there.Maybe he's so happy to be back in a league that matters to the rest of the world  it will keep him hungry and motivated. I guess we'll see.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Season Opener Boston Bruins vs. Philadelphia Flyers - Game Thread 10/06/11 : jay - You're right.  SportsNet did have them at 9th.  The Star had them on the outside looking in on the top 8 along with the Leafs in 10th, Canes at 11th, NYI in the 12 hole, Jets 13th, Florida in at 14 and the Sens 15th.  It's the Devils who are supposed to slip into Philly's spot among the top 8 seeds according to The Star.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

No disrespect to Sportsnet but I do not see Philly falling out of playoff contention barring some kind of injury epidemic or major meltdown. Sorry but it just seems they are trying to manufacture some kind of narrative that is simply not there....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Before the game was awsome choked me up a little. The game outside of the first 10 mins for the bruins I thought was an awful game by them. They were horrid at their defensive responsibilites. I also also hope Seguin sooner than later is played with players who can berry tap in goals when he makes a great pass. Seguin should be a second or first liner on this team. We had some chances to get the equilizer late but horton couldn't get his shot off quick enough or up. Hated the fact I had to watch this game on vs instead of nesn. One game not the end of the world but I am expecting a bad first month for the "cup" hangover. As long as we make the playoffs I think we have more than a punchers shot vs anyone who we would play. I give the bruins a pass I am sure that emoitonal pre game ceremony played a part in the game last night.

Found it funny I watched the opening of the Nucks and Pens game. They were honoring first responders from the riots that took place after game 7. They also honored a fan who tried to stop looting of stores during the riots. Needless to say I liked our opening ceremony much better. I found it very funny the differences between ours and theres. If your a player on the nucks how do you feel seeing that going down before you drop the puck on a new season?