Season start tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Season start tracker

Finally get on the road to popularity they so desperately seek and they will mess it up. Thats why you'll always be 4th among the top 4 sports. Good job NHL and players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Kel at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if they fall to fifth. The lockout will hurt their popularity, and then if you look at it further down the line, demographics will move them further down the totem pole. While the average white Canadian American male/female may not care much for soccer, in the States the largest growing demographic group is Hispanic/Latin American, and in Canada immigration is quickly increasing the population of South East Asian Canadians, African emigrees and first-generation European immigrants. These five demos have on thing in common - soccer.

It may not happen right awy, but down the line I could easily see the NHL falling to fifth as the sports broadcastes shift their attention to these sizable demos.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

bump

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Jan 1 is going to be the start of the season.  Maybe

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

bump

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Bettman and Fehr are two giant egos who are unwilling to compromise at this point. Probably the worst mix of personalities to be at the head of each group that you could come up with.

It's going to take a lot of give on the part of the PA before this is resolved. How willing are the players to take the kind of hit that comes with losing a big chunk of the season? Or perhaps and entire season because the league is perfectly willing to go that far. I'm wondering how unified the PA will be if it gets that ugly. Would lower tier guys break from the herd? Either way, there will be no hockey any time soon. My best case scenario is they start up with real games somehwere around Jan.1st. I'm just hoping they don't burn the entire season.

This is lockout #3 during the reign of Bettman.  94-95 season (48 games) and 04-05 (no games). Bettman became the commish in 93 and there was a lockout in 94! The man is a detriment to the sport. Any wonder he gets booed every time he shows up in front of any audience of fans? It will be even worse at the next SC presentation. If it happens to be in Philly (God forbid!) he may not get out of the rink upright.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Bruins opener was going to be Oct 11.

And the preseason is cancelled?

This doesn't look good to me.

Jan 1 at earliest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Place your bet boys (and girl)

I think Book just said Dec 1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'm a daily reader but I almost never post here so forgive the intrusion but I feel that Dec. 1st is a safe bet.

I read on another thread that a few posters thought it would have to be after (US) Thanksgiving and I agree with that. If a new CBA is reached by early next week then teams still have to have some sort of brief traing camp as we all know. Each team will also need to get the season tickets (et al) out to their fans once the shortened schedule is agreed upon. I feel that will take about a week to print and mail out so December first would be my guess for opening weekend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I still say Jan 1 if at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

OK, I'll my hat in the ring here.

I have been pessimistic about salvaging anything before the end of the calendar year, but I believe there has been significant progress over the last week. If they keep talking and bargaining faithfully, I could see an agreement in principle by the end of this month(!).

I read somewhere that they would need only a week or so to get everyone back from overseas and play 2 or 3 exhibition games over the next week ( this was all that was required).

Therefore, I think the first game will be Carolina @ Philadephia at 1:00PM on December 15th.

Why?

- 26 teams scheduled for that day, satisfying many fans. They could even add 2 more games to make it a full schedule.

- Saturday is arguably the biggest hockey day of the week to kick things off(more fans could attend)

- the TV networks could show triple headers to please the faithful

- a December start would be just in time for Christmas shopping...a huge buying period for fans (casual and die-hards alike); dont' forget the % of the almighty HRR that both side are fighting over.

- Teams would have approx. 53-54 games left of the original schedule and adding another 10 or so games (to get the season to 65 games) would not be out of the question.

Of course, a lot has to happen over the next week or so - providing Donald and Gary can keep their EGOS in check and get 'er done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

[QUOTE]OK, I'll my hat in the ring here.

--snipped--

Of course, a lot has to happen over the next week or so - providing Donald and Gary can keep their EGOS in check and get 'er done.[/QUOTE]

Well, so much for my bold prediction....

Just when I thought logic and sensibility might in the order.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]OK, I'll my hat in the ring here.

--snipped--

Of course, a lot has to happen over the next week or so - providing Donald and Gary can keep their EGOS in check and get 'er done.[/QUOTE]

Well, so much for my bold prediction....

Just when I thought logic and sensibility might in the order.

[/QUOTE]

This isn't about ego's at all. I think both men are great at what they do, but I truly believe that getting the players & different owners involved backfired in a huge way. I think the players either mis-understood what was being said, or they intentially made themselves look stupid to make the owners look bad. Either way Both Bettman & Fehr are way too smart to allow ego's affect a 3.3 billion dollar business. I think the biggest issue is the fact that both men are so equally intelligent & they both know what each other is doing & why. They both are using their arsenal to get the best possible deal they can for the parties they represent. Saying ego's is what is holding up this process is just a sign of frustration & not truly understanding the process of what's happening. It's a cop out to get out of an explaination.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I say Oct 1st 2013

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say Oct 1st 2013

[/QUOTE]

I say sometime in 2014. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Beginning to look like 2013 and 2014 is something we sadly have to think about.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[/QUOTE]

This isn't about ego's at all. I think both men are great at what they do, but I truly believe that getting the players & different owners involved backfired in a huge way. I think the players either mis-understood what was being said, or they intentially made themselves look stupid to make the owners look bad. Either way Both Bettman & Fehr are way too smart to allow ego's affect a 3.3 billion dollar business. I think the biggest issue is the fact that both men are so equally intelligent & they both know what each other is doing & why. They both are using their arsenal to get the best possible deal they can for the parties they represent. Saying ego's is what is holding up this process is just a sign of frustration & not truly understanding the process of what's happening. It's a cop out to get out of an explaination.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree.  As this thing becomes  more and more annoying, it gets easy to blame it all on Fehr and Bettman.  That's the easy simplistic route many are taking.

Still think things will get worked out by early January.  By that time, the moderates on both sides will begin speaking up.  Fehr and Bettman will go with the respective majorities.