Seattle gets their arena

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Seattle gets their arena

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"49, soccer ?"

Yeah, 49 is right, they do love the Sounders up there, certainly more than the Mariners.

But it kind of exemplifies my point. They have an MLS team that outdraws the baseball team and would probably outdraw the Sonics or an NHL team. Weird city like that. With the Canadian dollar virtually 1 to 1 with the American Dollar, QC seems like the right place to put a team. That way the Country of Quebec can have 2 teams. <insert separatist joke here>

[/QUOTE]

BUMP

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Meanwhile, negotiations on funding of Edmonton's new downtown arena have bogged down, with the price going up, and the City not willing to give Katz any more money. 

The design is a BMW, but they may only have enough dollars for a Buick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, the Sounders actually outdraw a number of Premiership teams like Queens Park Rangers and Fulham, which is pretty stunning.

If and when the league does relocate a team, the market and rink will only be two factors. Personally having gone to a couple of Thunderbirds games, I think the market is there in Seattle. Reading the comment sections of some of the articles on this new rink deal, there are a bunch of fans saying things like "I can't wait to cheer on the Metropolitans" and "Gonna be great to scream at the Canucks until they cry."

Personally I think the market and rinks will be a wash between Seattle and Quebec, so that means it will come down to ownership.
    The likely owners at this point are Pierre Karl Peladeau who runs Quebecor, and Don Levin who runs the Chicago Wolves, two very different types of owners - one has ridiculously deep pockets but is not well liked, the other is not as filthy rich but is a proven hockey guy who knows how to run a successful franchise (similar to Mark Chipman). Two very different ownership choices for the league, it would be interesting to see which they would prefer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And Kel, the largest city in ND is only 100,000 people - they just can't do it. As such the Jets have been heavily marketing to ND, trying to tap that market. I know some profs at UND who split season tickets to Winnipeg.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Mariners are drawing 22,000 a game not spectacular but not far from a division leader Baltimore at 25,000. Now when the Mariners had ownership that spent money like in the early 2000s they were drawing 43,000 per. The Sonics left becuase of bad ownership not becuase of the fans. Seahawks drew 66,413 a game 2011 that's 99% capacity. If Paul Allen builds it they will come. The state of Washington have sports fans no doubt.

Even if Seattles hockey/basketball facility is finished sooner than Quebecs I would think Bettman might wait if Quebec is closer. Now if Bettman sees someone like Paul Allen's phone # comes into his cell phone after Seattle's areana is finished all bets are off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Now that would be interesting - Levin and Allen together. Talk about a powerhouse ownership group.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

bump

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

bump! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

bump to null's head!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And another bump to null's head!