Seau

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Seau

You have to wonder if the NFL will have to deal with all of the righteous demands for changing the culture, the game, (something?) after a very high profile suicide.  I felt like a lot of people beat up on the NHL and having fighting in the league over the past year.  But football doesn't allow fighting...maybe that isn't the crux of the issue.  Concussions are the key...right?

Anyhow, my condolences to Seau's family, as he seemed like a class guy through and through and I enjoyed the way he played for the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Seau

Add to that the note in the article (http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2012/05/report_junior_s.html?p1=News_links) which says both Seau and Dave Duerson killed themselves by very deliberately shooting themselves in the chest -- a probable effort to leave their brains intact for testing...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

What a shame

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Just loved the way Junior "Say Ow" played, like Bogie said, a real shame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm guessing theres alot more to this story that will probabaly come out in the next few days. Just a shame, liked his episode when he helped out wtih the capitals during the Bruins home opener a couple of years back, he seemed to be full of life and energy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Great guy who grew up in a bad area of Oceanside, San Diego. Unfortunately this is not a surprise to me as he has been battling depression every since his wife divorced him years before he retired. One of the nicest, kindest big time athletes I've ever met. Too bad is right SD community loved Junior.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Damn shame. RIP.

And Fletch to your point, the National did a report a while back that pointed out that the suicide rate in the hockey community is about equal to the suicide rate in greater Canadian society. Granted, Canada has a relatively high suicide rate (1.5 per cent of all deaths are suicide), and amongst teens it's brutally, repugnantly, high, (20.4 per cent of all teen deaths) which skews all of the numbers upwards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Depression is a common symptom of post-concussion syndrome and/or CTE.  I suspect that this sad incident will re-ignite discussion about the long-term impacts of contact sports. 

Re: Fletch's comment about the chest-shot -- while it's tough to read intent into something like this, it's probably true that he knew that his depression was directly connected to all the head shots, and that he's hoping that perhaps something positive can come out of all the pain he must have been sufferring through.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

People experience depression for many reasons.  Red's point about suicide rates might also bear out for living with depression.  I would also never underestimate what it's like for someone whose whole life has been playing a particular sport or has been built around playing that sport (so, business opportunities and the weight you can lend to charities etc.) to then be outside of that world - no more lockerroom, no more validation from winning and losing to offset the grind of daily life, especially living with pain. 

Concussions are la bete du jour, but there are other causes of depression and suicide, and it may actually be making matters worse to plant the seed in players' brains that if they feel depressed it's probably because of irreparable brain damage, so there's nothing you can do about it.

If you didn't appreciate Seau, you probably don't like football.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Demons are too difficult to analyze.  Physically the science of medicine will know more on the Boogard type of injuries and even SeaU if it applies.  Emotionally, well, our society is mere elementary on analysis.  All I can say is Seau was a fresh breath of air on the Patriots squad, team player, dedicated, and effective.  As I knew him, he was exciting to watch!  May his religion find solace in his life not his ending.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Seau:
    [QUOTE]People experience depression for many reasons.  Red's point about suicide rates might also bear out for living with depression.  I would also never underestimate what it's like for someone whose whole life has been playing a particular sport or has been built around playing that sport (so, business opportunities and the weight you can lend to charities etc.) to then be outside of that world - no more lockerroom, no more validation from winning and losing to offset the grind of daily life, especially living with pain.  Concussions are la bete du jour, but there are other causes of depression and suicide, and it may actually be making matters worse to plant the seed in players' brains that if they feel depressed it's probably because of irreparable brain damage, so there's nothing you can do about it. If you didn't appreciate Seau, you probably don't like football.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Based on the rate of diagnosis versus the rate of suicide, one would assume (realizing that not all victims of suicide are victims of depression - the highest rate of suicide is among schizophrenics - in Canada the three highest risk groups of suicide per capita are schizophrenia suffererers then teenagers with depression then adult depression victims) the numbers of those who live with depression are far higher than those depression victims who choose suicide.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Seau:
    [QUOTE]You have to wonder if the NFL will have to deal with all of the righteous demands for changing the culture, the game, (something?) after a very high profile suicide.  I felt like a lot of people beat up on the NHL and having fighting in the league over the past year.  But football doesn't allow fighting...maybe that isn't the crux of the issue.  Concussions are the key...right? Anyhow, my condolences to Seau's family, as he seemed like a class guy through and through and I enjoyed the way he played for the Pats.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]yes, its all about concussions. i wonder though how many of these bruins will turn out like a seau in the next 20 years.. its an epidemic. he's a classic CTE brain guy. very erratic off the field issues of late. he tried killig himself last year by driving his car off a freakin cliff. at least he didnt take innocent lives with him to his maker. hope he has a great graduation bash!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Seau:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Seau : yes, its all about concussions. i wonder though how many of these bruins will turn out like a seau in the next 20 years.. its an epidemic. he's a classic CTE brain guy. very erratic off the field issues of late. he tried killig himself last year by driving his car off a freakin cliff. at least he didnt take innocent lives with him to his maker. hope he has a great graduation bash!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

100% Whack Job.

Sections
Shortcuts