Secondary Scoring

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Secondary Scoring

This is not about what the Bruins have done.  They are an awesome team and have played a great team game to get to the Stanley Cup Finals.  They played pretty well in game 1 and with a little luck they would be up 1-0.  They were down 2-0 to Vancouver and won that series so one game no matter how they lost it, is nothing to worry about.

My comments are about what I think they will need to do to win this series and is not a criticism of the team.  I said it before the series started that the team that gets the secondary scoring in what is likely to be 6 or 7 one goal games is most likely going to win the series.  The Bruins have gotten good contributions from their defense in the first 3 rounds so hopefully that continues but other than the one game against the Rangers where the 4th line stepped up they have gotten little from the 3rd and 4th lines.  The 3rd line especially is key as if your 4th lines holds it own that is fine.  So far the 3rd line holding their own has been okay because the HULK line was on fire and Bergeon and Marchand came through with timely scoring.  To beat a team that is very similar to them they will need a few contributions from guys you expect to score like Seguin (he played well last night but still can't buy one) and less likely candidates like Kelly, Peverly and Paille.  The big goal last night in my mind was scored by Bolland.  In fact the Hawks had 2 guys score their first goal of the play-offs last night. 

The hallmark of this Bruins team has been that they can roll four lines and get contributions from all of them.  This was actually much more true when they won in 2011.  They are going to need a little more of that in this Final to get it done again this time.

Here are the stats fom 2011 and this year's stats.  I realize there are games still to be played but in 2011 they had 9 forwards with 12 points or more and 14 guys with 9 points or more.  This year they have 5 forwards with 12 points or more (and no other forwards really close) and they only 6 players with 9 points or more.  In 2011 they had 11 forwards with 3 goals or more.  If Paille can notch one and Seguin can score a couple they will have 8 forwards with 3 goals or more this time.  Three goals off of the sticks of those players may in fact go a long way to winning this series.

Here are the links to the stats from the 2 years.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2011.html#skaters_playoffs::none

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2013.html#skaters_playoffs::none

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Secondary Scoring

huntbri, absolutely this has been a top-heavy offensive production team except for the defensemen all chipping in with a lot of goals. Krecji, Horton, and Lucic have provided a majority of the offense, then Bergeron and Marchard with some help from Jagr, and basically that's it save for a few Rangers games when the Thornton-Paille-Campbell line was playing fantastic. Seguin, Peverly, and the terrible Kelly (minus-9) have produced almost nothing. Paille and Thornton are a bit lost without Campbell. Daugavins has actually played well, just can't net one in his few opps. Too much pressure placed on 2 lines to do everything on offense, and that's a real problem with the injuries now to Campbell and Horton. You can try to dress Caron or Soderberg and I think healthy scratch a near worthless Kelly. Peverly is a huge offensive disappointment. Seguin is just hexed, he's playing so hard, trying so hard, and getting scoring opps and setting up plays and just doesn't have the numbers to show for it. It's got to be frustrating for Tyler, but if he keeps playing this way, my guess is he will score some goals in this series...talk about over due. There is little balance on this team on offense and they do need somebody from the 3rd and 4th lines to just pick up a garbage goal or fluke, doesn't matter how it goes in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Came through last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good premonition Huntbri, all third line adjustments helped, with Kelly/Paille and Seguin contributing. Seggy may not have a goal, but he is involved and feeding others like the great Pass that Daugavins botched, or we would have won game one. Last night was tuuka nite until the rest woke up. Speed will continue to help, and , just maybe, Bartkowski for Ference or Krug , could add his speed and passing to achieve good results. Looked like Seidenberg could use some relief, not replacement, but shorter ice time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yup, Kelly finally produced and it had a lot to do with taking both him and Seguin away from Peverly. What does that tell you about Rich? He needs to be the next to step up his game offensively

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

yup, Kelly finally produced and it had a lot to do with taking both him and Seguin away from Peverly. What does that tell you about Rich? He needs to be the next to step up his game offensively

Seems like he has lost some speed which was his best asset

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

It was good to see CJ realize he needed to change something up after a very rough first period. The new 3rd line came through to match what Chicago's 3rd line did in game one.  I think the speed of this line with the confidence they gained in this game will help them the rest of the series.  This should also take some pressure off the top two lines.  Another positive is having Peverly as the 4th line centre.  I think he has struggled offensively but he is stronger than most 4th line centres. It is not as important to get points from the 4th line and you keep him in the line-up for his face-off prowess and his ability to kill penalties.  All around the tweaks Julien made here may end up being a key decision in this series beyond just this one game, I hope,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

It was good to see CJ realize he needed to change something up after a very rough first period. The new 3rd line came through to match what Chicago's 3rd line did in game one.  I think the speed of this line with the confidence they gained in this game will help them the rest of the series.  This should also take some pressure off the top two lines.  Another positive is having Peverly as the 4th line centre.  I think he has struggled offensively but he is stronger than most 4th line centres. It is not as important to get points from the 4th line and you keep him in the line-up for his face-off prowess and his ability to kill penalties.  All around the tweaks Julien made here may end up being a key decision in this series beyond just this one game, I hope,

I am thinking this could be Seguin game 3, time for him to shine. Peverly centering the 4th is OK with me with Soderberg getting a chance.

Looch Krejci Horton

Marchand Bergy Jagr

Paille Kelly Seguin

Soderberg Peverly Thorn

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

In response to huntbri's comment:

I am thinking this could be Seguin game 3, time for him to shine. Peverly centering the 4th is OK with me with Soderberg getting a chance.

Looch Krejci Horton

Marchand Bergy Jagr

Paille Kelly Seguin

Soderberg Peverly Thorn

I would be okay with Soderberg getting a chance too.  I am just happy that Daug is off the 3rd line.  I can live with him on the 4th line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think there's any reason to pull Daugavins for Soderberg on that line.  He's been high-energy.

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Am I the only one remembering that Soderberg does not like playing wing?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I am fne with Daug on the 4th line, I am just not a big enough fan to say it is a must to keep him in the line-up.  I guess he has been okay so if I am being fair he probably stays in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Score a PP goal or 2 and you don't have to worry about secondary scoring!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

how bout an upfront scoring from Jagr and Seguin? A goal from each and problem solved. I think both are going to score at the Garden. I also am ready for another blast by Chara or Krug or Boychuk that will find net. The B's are going to score some on home ice. They faced Voukoun at his best and Lundqvist pretty much on top of his game, so they had to battle for every goal they mustered in the 2 series at TDG. Not to take anything away from Crawford, but there has to be a goalie that is going to cough up one or two on not so great shots and that guy should be Crawford.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Who would have guessed that Paille would get two GWGs in a row in the finals?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

if you look at the game, which really resembled Pitt at Boston games, again the B's faced an opposing goalie who didn't make a mistake and won. Sooner or later the opposing goalie is going to let one in on a bad angle shot or something that will make the B's lives a little easier. Considering that Rask is even that much better than Crawford, Voukon, and matched at least Lundqvist (although the guy was remarkable in the B's series in the last 2 games, win or lose).

The Bruins keep playing hard and forechecking and getting breakaways and creating opps, they are going to score. It would be nice to net 3 goals at least next game, but the B's style of play is tailored to these 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 type of games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The point really is that does it matter who scores? The answer is no, it doesn't, not in 13.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

True danny.  It's not who, or how...it's how many.  That's all that matters.

Sections
Shortcuts