Sedin twins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DutchBostonian. Show DutchBostonian's posts

Sedin twins

No, this is not a thread of how to get the twins here lol........

I have been wondering this for a while now and i guess i'm always wondering when i have no time to search the internet for the answer. 
    How on earthy did Vancouver end up with BOTH Sedin twins? Why did not two different teams draft the kids? I don't even know (yet) how high or low they got drafted cause maybe they weren't that highly regarded. Or maybe they werent even in the draft? Or teams have been sleeping? Or it was all a scam by the NHL to keep them together? Or Vancouver is a master-trader?
    OMG, lots of Or's in this thread but someone here must know the answer. (or is not as lazy as me and search the internet lol)

Thanks,
    Jack

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: Sedin twins

They were drafted 2nd and 3rd overall because Brian Burke (then Vancouver's GM) really wanted them and made a series of draft day deals to ensure that he could draft them together. There was no doubt they'd both be taken high so Burke had to make the deals to get both of them.

(Patrik Stefan went 1st overall)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Good question. I admit I don't know much myself. This looks like a good place to start...

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2009/06/10-years-later-1999-nhl-draft.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The '99 Draft was considered weak at the time.  It was weak.  The Sedins were considered by many to be the best of the bunch, but most were of the opinion that they wouldn't succeed on their own.  Stepan and Brendel were also in the mix, none being a sure-thing. So, a top-5 pick had little value to GM's that year.  Burke had the 3 pick so he knew he could get one of them.  He sent a young, highly touted Bryan McCabe (think of how many wanted the B's to send their pick this year to get Zach Bogosian) and a pick to Chicago to get the 4th pick.  It was really a good trade for Chicago, none of what they would have picked would have been better than McCabe, even one half of the Sedins likely.  Burke then did some additional manoeuvring to get up to #2 in order to ensure he got what he wanted.  Again, the trading up was easy since teams would rather Brendel or Stepan than just one of the Sedins.