Segei Gonchar?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Segei Gonchar?

Would anyone be interested in a Savard/Paille for Sergei Gonchar/3rd rounder?

Gonchar has been terrible for Ottawa but would assist the Bruins transiton game & free them of Savard's contract & open up a spot for Seguin down the line.

Ottawa are desperate for a shakeup & Savard was open to a trade with them in the summer & would be closer to his family. The Bruins would take on an extra 500, 000 per in this trade but are desperate for a PMD. Gonchar may flourish playing behind Chara as a # 2 or # 3 as opposed to being the goto guy in Ottawa.

I would much prefer the Bruins getting a younger PMD but Savard may not hold much current trade value given his age & concussion history. The Bs are much deeper down the middle then on the backend. Both are aging players & change of scenery maybe best for both players & both teams.

I am neither endorsing or against this deal, however, just looking for others thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Segei Gonchar?

I would like to see the B's get another D-man that can quarterback the power play to get Bergeron off of there! I like him playing a foward position better. As for Gonchar. If were going to be dumping one of our top 8 (Rex Excluded) I'd prefer someone that isn't going to be costing more to bring him in & someone who'll be young enough & be able to stay effective for a longer period than Gonchar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In Response to Segei Gonchar?:
    Would anyone be interested in a Savard/Paille for Sergei Gonchar/3rd rounder? Gonchar has been terrible for Ottawa but would assist the Bruins transiton game & free them of Savard's contract & open up a spot for Seguin down the line. Ottawa are desperate for a shakeup & Savard was open to a trade with them in the summer & would be closer to his family. The Bruins would take on an extra 500, 000 per in this trade but are desperate for a PMD. Gonchar may flourish playing behind Chara as a # 2 or # 3 as opposed to being the goto guy in Ottawa. I would much prefer the Bruins getting a younger PMD but Savard may not hold much current trade value given his age & concussion history. The Bs are much deeper down the middle then on the backend. Both are aging players & change of scenery maybe best for both players & both teams. I am neither endorsing or against this deal, however, just looking for others thoughts?
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Good God!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'd be more content with a Wheeler/Paille for Foster trade, or whatever we can cram together with those two + picks and maybe a prospect for Whitney - go for someone younger on a somewhat decent contract, and don't throw away current main components to the team. Leverage the picks the Bruins have stockpiled and use them and prospects as bait for rebuilding teams, but they need to take some cap hit back with them.

We have absolutely no need to bring Gonchar here again, and especially not for Savard. That's absolutely nuts.

Bringing anyone here means shedding cap space, but why not shed the dead weight, and use picks and prospects to make the trade? The Bruins have picks coming out of their ears and a deep system right now, and another lottery pick on the way to fill up the gap sent out. You always should trade from strength. This won't be attractive to a team hoping to compete this year, or that's tight to the cap, but to a rebuilding team with cap space to spare (Edmonton, Ottawa, Islanders) it could be a solid trade both ways and realistic with immediate dividends for Boston.

Let's say you send away a bubble player like Paille, a player who can be replaced by players already in the system like Wheeler, and Sturm, who has yet to lace up, and add in either 2nd and a Third or a 2nd and decent prospect or for Whitney and a fourth or fifth rounder. Yes it's overpaying a bit, but the players listed are more of cap relief than anything and they are replaceble - it's the picks that make the trade., and the Bruins get then cap relief needed with the player we need in return. Edmonton won't resign Sturm, just like we won't, Wheeler is young enough to blossom under their system, Paille is whatever, and Lowe wants to build through the draft. Whitney would waive his no-trade to come home and we get the second D we want who happens to be a local, on a reasonable long-term contract. This scenario may not be perfect but it's more realistic than a lot of those spitballed aroung here, and it's 80,000 times better than Savard for Gonchar.

And those who don't think Whitney is not worth it at all, he's the best passing blue liner in the game at the moment - tied for 8th in assists in the league, tied for first among D in assists, and fifth in D for points and is plus 7 while playing for the OILERS. He puts us near the top, and we don't lose much from our lineup, And he still has two years on his contract after this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Segei Gonchar?:
    Why are the Bruins desparate for a defenseman?  Seems to me like they're having some difficulty scoring at times, but the defense seems solid.  I don't think trading guys who can score for a defenseman is the best idea. And Gonchar is overpriced.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

agreed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Bruins are 11th in goals for, and best in goals against.

And I'd rather trade for Saku Koivu than Sergei Gonchar, and I just about loathe Saku.

Why are the Bruins desparate for a defenseman?  Seems to me like they're having some difficulty scoring at times, but the defense seems solid.  I don't think trading guys who can score for a defenseman is the best idea. And Gonchar is overpriced.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Red75, I am with you: we need to take a piece from the Oilers' blue line. And it should be either Foster or Whitney. Foster has a rocket from the point, whereas Whitney is a better playmaker. Foster would probably also be cheaper to acquire and, in my opinion, brings more grit so I would go after him. Ladislav Smid could be another option from the Oilers, but Foster and Whitney have the advantage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Gonchar way overpriced for what he brings these days. Ironically, it was because Ottawa was so desperate for a d-man over the summer that they went out and overpaid on the UFA market for Gonchar.

As for the B's, I wouldn't say they're "desperate" for a d-man since it is only December, but the Stuart injury really highlighted what most of us knew; there is very little depth back there. What happens if Seidenberg or Ferrence goes down for a couple of weeks? We'd have, arguably, a d-core made up of half P-Bruins (McQuaid, Kampfer, Bartkowski). We need some d-depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: prospect depth.  That might be more of an illusion than a reality. Looking at the recent AHL deals the Bruins made made me wonder.  With Sauve injured, the forward group in Providence was almost exactly the same as last year - Joe Colborne being the one major new piece.  Now Caron's there, so two, and Sauve is back, but they haven't been scoring (another 1 goal effort last night).  The turnover on D has been big, but it remains to be seen if the numbers translate into one or two real prospects.  Spooner and Knight give the Bruins some interesting additional depth in junior, sure, and there's the small matter of 4 picks in this year's first and second rounds, but again - numbers vs. quality, right?  We haven't seen the quality yet, just the numbers, so you're gambling more than it seems if you make a deal based on the team having lots of prospects.  As NAS points out, they're doing reasonably well with the group they have.  McQuaid hasn't been exposed, and Kampfer was okay vs. the Isles, so they shouldn't feel they NEED to make a move.

Remember that Chiarelli has a very long fuse.  Unless the team goes into free-fall due to D injuries, we could well see Bart., Bodnarchuk, Penner, or Cohen get a shot before the Chiarelli feels compelled to deal.

Incidentally - where in the h3ll is Colby Cohen?  I can't find him on injured lists, but he hasn't played a game in Providence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Believe me I am not enamored with Gonchar either. THe guy is -16. But I am also concerned with Savard for the next 6 years at 4 million per & I really don't believe he has much value on the market. I hope he starts producing at some point this year & given his injury he certainly needs more time. But even if he begins producing I believe he will be tough to move given the terms of that deal.

Also, it is quite apparent the Bs love Bergy & Krejci so I see Savard potentially blocking Seguin's development down the line. I really hope Seguin is a center here next year because he is to much of a talent to be moving him around like they are. I am already concerned with CJ's handling of him. So a center should be moved IMO. It is better to me someone to early then attempt to move them to late. My point is it should be Savard & I hope it is as I have never really been a big fan of his overall game & some of the antics on the ice. The embellishment in OT against Buffalo the other night shows he has not learned his lesson from the whole Colin Campbell thing. Sure he got highsticked but come on. I was embarrassed as a fan of that.

I would much rather a younger Dman as well. But in order to get a younger PMD the Bruins will have to give up more. I don't see them trading Bergy, Krejci, Seguin, Rask, Lucic or the Toronto 1st round pick. IMO those players are the main core. Savards money will certainly come in handy in a couple of years when some of those core players have to be reupped at a substantial increase in pay. Plus, the Bruins will need additional money to improve other areas of the team. My concern is Savard's contract will become untradeable within a couple of years as he continues to decline as most guys in there mid '30s do. We have some very desperate teams right now & I think the Bs would have to take back money in order to move Savard. Maybe I will be proved wrong & I hope I am. But Savard alone will not net a good young proven PMD IMO.

Gonchar has 2 more yrs after this one & perhaps playing a diminished role in Boston behind Chara & Seidenberg will take some pressure off of him. Similar to Kaberle. I would take Kaberle first because he makes less & is signed to a cheaper, shorter deal & this season would give the Bs brass an indication on whether they should attempt to resign him or go in a different direction. Personally, I would do Savard for Kaberle regardless of having the Leafs first pick.

I see these possible deals as improving an extremely weak area of the Bruins game this season while freeing up much needed capspace going into the future. You have to look at the big piucture in a capworld & I feel an aging Savard is pretty redundent when you have Seguin, Krejci & Bergy on the roster right now. I also see a team that has an extremely weak transition game that has been exposed in the playoffs for the last 2 years. I have seen no improvement yet this season as I see a team vulnerable to an aggressive forecheck. Hopefully that explains my position better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Newfie, let's just go after Kaberle in the summer when he is a UFA, rather than chase Gonchar. Kaberle is younger and more effective and would probably come cheaper (meaning we wouldn't have to give up assets to get him).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Segei Gonchar? : As I am sure Chia would love to unload a 33 yr old player due 29 million over the next 7 yrs who plays a position of strenght on the team

As for Krejci he is the best player on the team. The least of the Bruins worries is David Krejci.

People here seem to hate the thought of Savard going but IMO the writing is on the wall regarding Savard. He either gets dealt or moved to Left wing in the next couple of years Posted by Newfiebullet

All training camp during the fall all you could harp on was that the Bruins didn't need Krejci anymore because David could carry the team. He has 4 goals in 20 games, the Bruins PP is ranked 11th at 18%, 29th best Center in the league, 2 goals in his last 12 games yah Newfie David has really taken this team over lets trade Savard now. Left wing ?

Chiarelli would love to get rid of his salary you say ? $4mil cap hit ? Oh back to 35+ salary is what Gonchar has and if memory serves me correct you railed on PC for Thomas's contract. Care to take us through some contracts of higher paid goalies that make more money for longer that Tim ? Nah I know who they are...

PS. Most arm chair GMs wouold love to get rid a player that had one injury plagued season but not this arm chair GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Segei Gonchar? : All training camp during the fall all you could harp on was that the Bruins didn't need Krejci anymore because David could carry the team. He has 4 goals in 20 games, the Bruins PP is ranked 11th at 18%, 29th best Center in the league, 2 goals in his last 12 games yah Newfie David has really taken this team over lets trade Savard now. Left wing ? Chiarelli would love to get rid of his salary you say ? $4mil cap hit ? Oh back to 35+ salary is what Gonchar has and if memory serves me correct you railed on PC for Thomas's contract. Care to take us through some contracts of higher paid goalies that make more money for longer that Tim ? Nah I know who they are... PS. Most arm chair GMs wouold love to get rid a player that had one injury plagued season but not this arm chair GM.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I love how you doctor the #'s to fit your arguement. Krejci has 4 goals but has never & will never be known as goalscorer. He is a playmaker who has 19 points in 20 games (.95 per game) while playing 3 zone hockey in a defence 1st system while making 3.75 million. Yeah he is really disapointing.

It is obvious you love Savard. But you are being extremely naive & shortsighted if you believe he is a more important piece to this team then Krejci or Bergy. You mention the 4 million dollar cap hit but once again you fail to mention that it is for the next 6 yrs after this one. Krejci is this teams best player. Not Marc Savard. Savard can get his points but he is weak along the wall & in the defensive end & makes to many low % plays that turn into turnovers.

I agree Gonchar is not the ideal pick up but IMO you are overating Marc Savard & not realizing this teams weakness & Marc Savard's trade value right now. Can he up the value? Possibly. But if he doesn't produce points it will only decrease.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I watched my fair share of Sens games , besides their horrible play, Gonchar really looks old and slow.  Didn't we already have this guy once before ?  We all know how that worked out and this time he comes with a big contract .  No thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts