Seguin at Center

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seguin at Center

His entire NHL career has been at wing.  He's playing wing on one of, if not the, best second lines in the NHL.  He is brutal at the dot.

Why do people keep suggesting that he should be moved to center?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Seguin at Center

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

His entire NHL career has been at wing.  He's playing wing on one of, if not the, best second lines in the NHL.  He is brutal at the dot.

not a clue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The only way i would move him to center is if you were going to trade Krejhi,or a injury,other whise keep him where he is

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Seguin's face off % is at 62.5%, best on the team. He was a center in junior and will, sooner or later, be the #1 center in Boston. That's why....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Seguin's face off % is at 62.5%, best on the team. He was a center in junior and will, sooner or later, be the #1 center in Boston. That's why....

But he's also the Bruins top scroing RW, the players ahead of him including our one and two centres - don't move him unless there's a dramatci reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Why has he been at wing for his entire NHL career?  Because Krejci & Bergeron are better 2-way guys and are a better fit in the middle for CJ's system.

I never saw Seguin play in the OHL, so hard to do anything but speculate, but I can completely understand how a player can be a very good winger, but be a great center. Can be argued that it is one's natural position.  You get the puck in space with an increased number of options (skate, pass, shoot) and get into the flow in a different way.  Seguin has not seemed to excel jamming in corners or along the wall, but has excelled in open ice when he has time and space.

On draws, not sure the sample size is material enough to know what he will or won't be.  At 43% last year on about 100 draws, not good.  This year, 62% (16 draws).  Krejci was a sub-50% guy for a couple of years with a couple others just a click over 50%.  He was 52% last year and 57% this year.

Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to move him to the middle now with Krejci & Bergeron around, but I do not think we are seeing his best while he plays wing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Why has he been at wing for his entire NHL career?  Because Krejci & Bergeron are better 2-way guys and are a better fit in the middle for CJ's system.

I never saw Seguin play in the OHL, so hard to do anything but speculate, but I can completely understand how a player can be a very good winger, but be a great center. Can be argued that it is one's natural position.  You get the puck in space with an increased number of options (skate, pass, shoot) and get into the flow in a different way.  Seguin has not seemed to excel jamming in corners or along the wall, but has excelled in open ice when he has time and space.

On draws, not sure the sample size is material enough to know what he will or won't be.  At 43% last year on about 100 draws, not good.  This year, 62% (16 draws).  Krejci was a sub-50% guy for a couple of years with a couple others just a click over 50%.  He was 52% last year and 57% this year.

Probably doesn't make a ton of sense to move him to the middle now with Krejci & Bergeron around, but I do not think we are seeing his best while he plays wing. 

i disagree with this...This year he's been much better at this. Plays with 100% more jam than last season. He may not be scoring as much as I'd like, but his play without the puck & getting the puck & creating chances for others has been outstanding compared to him being  a perimeter player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

But he's also the Bruins top scroing RW, the players ahead of him including our one and two centres - don't move him unless there's a dramatci reason.

I am not saying move him to center right now but I can understand why people want this and, like I said, it is going to happen sooner or later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

i disagree with this...This year he's been much better at this. Plays with 100% more jam than last season. He may not be scoring as much as I'd like, but his play without the puck & getting the puck & creating chances for others has been outstanding compared to him being  a perimeter player.

Disagree with your disagreement.  No way Seguin is playing with more jam this year.  More "Swiss Miss" maybe, but not more "Smuckers".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Faceoff win % is way overblown. They only matter in your defensive zone. I could care less if the other team wins the faceoff at center ice or outside the blue lines.

Seguin had to learn wing at the NHL level from scratch.  If he moves to center, he will have to adjust to the B's system but the learning curve would probably be a lot less since he played center for 14 years previously.  With his talent, it is a safe bet that he would make the adjustment if necessary.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I really don't understand why he isn't "brutal" at the dot - in a good way.

He has exceptionally fast hands, notice those little puck knock downs and etc. that he does routinely that's above and beyond what most in the nhl do.

I would think he'd be winning face offs like Adam Oates percentages.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I really don't understand why he isn't "brutal" at the dot - in a good way.

He has exceptionally fast hands, notice those little puck knock downs and etc. that he does routinely that's above and beyond what most in the nhl do.

I would think he'd be winning face offs like Adam Oates percentages.

He is, he leads the B's in face off %.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

Faceoff win % is way overblown. They only matter in your defensive zone. I could care less if the other team wins the faceoff at center ice or outside the blue lines.

Seguin had to learn wing at the NHL level from scratch.  If he moves to center, he will have to adjust to the B's system but the learning curve would probably be a lot less since he played center for 14 years previously.  With his talent, it is a safe bet that he would make the adjustment if necessary.  

I remember the playoffs v. the Capitols years ago when Donato hit that post, Oates faceoff wins were the difference in that series.

I would say the opposite, faceoffs are underrated.  If you can win them clean most of the time it's a hug factor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Remember when Oates scored off the face off in the playoffs? Brilliant!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Ding!!!! He looked pretty good up in Mtl a few weeks ago as the center

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

You just made a good case for moving him to center, he excels in open space and he's always played center, he  doesnt seem to like boards/corners play either so.... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

A lot of talk about how Seguin would do at center on the offensive side. What about on the defensive side at center ? 

It's not all about offense playing at the center position in Julien's system.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Seguin is a good enough player he could adjust to center. I however would not mess with that yet, everybody makes great points though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

A lot of talk about how Seguin would do at center on the offensive side. What about on the defensive side at center ? 

It's not all about offense playing at the center position in Julien's system.

Quite right but we ar enot going to know until it actually happens. I think it will be next season...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

One of my favorite moments as a fan for sure. 

Just to clarify an earlier comment---Faceoffs can directly result in goals in offensive/defensive zone.  However, the stat gets diluted by all of the other faceoffs not in those zones.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think most of the calls to put Seguin at center was when he was struggling. Now he's heating up so they have calmed down...Keep him at wing, the only way he plays center is if Bergeron or Krejci get hurt, even then you amy see Peverley or Kelly slide up to center.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think most of the calls to put Seguin at center was when he was struggling. Now he's heating up so they have calmed down...Keep him at wing, the only way he plays center is if Bergeron or Krejci get hurt, even then you amy see Peverley or Kelly slide up to center.

Agree. I would not mess with it, but in a couple of years the organization and coaching staff will move him to center eventually.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

wtg op. your research was "brutal" .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

One of my favorite moments as a fan for sure. 

Just to clarify an earlier comment---Faceoffs can directly result in goals in offensive/defensive zone.  However, the stat gets diluted by all of the other faceoffs not in those zones.

I'd rather see the Bruins with the puck then without. Winning the faceoffs everywhere suits me just fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I'd rather see the Bruins with the puck then without. Winning the faceoffs everywhere suits me just fine.

Yep, I agree. It's way easier to score when you've got the puck.

Sections
Shortcuts