Seguin disaster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Seguin disaster

Seguin is great, I loved cheering for him, but the Bruins got equal value in return, plus prospects.  And more importantly they saved a bunch of money that allowed them to sign Iginla.  Without Iginla you could argue that this isn't the best team in the league.  Some stats beyond simple goals and assists:

Players Boston received = Smith and Eriksson

Players Dallas received = Seguin and Peverley

Bos points per minute of playing time = 0.041

Dal points per minute of playing time = 0.045

--> not bad at all, especially with Eriksson having a rough season.  But what's even more important with the cap:

Bos $$$ per point scored (millions):  $0.058

Dal $$$ per point scored (millions):  $0.078

This second number is very important.  When combined with the first set, we see that yes, Seguin scored more than Smith or Eriksson.  But he also gets more ice time and more ice time than any forward on the Boston roster.  In terms of getting results per minute of playing time, the new Boston forwards are almost as good as the old ones.  But more importantly, they do so at a much, much lower price. Objectively speaking, you would be paying Seguin more money to get the exact same results.

There are additional advantages to having the Smith/Eriksson combo as well.  1. They're two players.  Eriksson missed quite a bit of time this year, but the Bruins didn't miss a beat in large part because they also have Smith.  If Seguin got injured Dallas would be in big trouble.  This is especially important in the playoffs, which are often a war of attrition.  2. They are wings, and wings that can play either side.  The Bruins have 2 (now 3?!?) outstanding centers.  Many great forwards like playing center.  Smith and Eriksson don't.  They like wing, and this gives the Bruins 3 solid lines with players playing where they love.  For Seguin to thrive in Boston he would have needed to displace either Krejci or Bergeron, and that would have meant a couple years of growing pains while his defensive game matured.  That could have cost a few Stanley cups.  3.  Smith and Eriksson are solid, all around players.  Smith is slightly less physically skilled than Seguin, but I would argue his mental game is better.  He also competes hard in all areas.  Eriksson, also, is a fine all-around talent that plays all 3 zones and penalty kills.  Seguin is awesome, but I would argue the only way he is truly better than the new players in in goal-scoring and top speed.  In other areas of the game, the new Bruins are as good or better.

In the end I think Boston is much better heading into the playoffs with Iginla-Smith-Eriksson on the RW than they would have been with Seguin-Peverley-Caron?!?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Dead Horse.

Pauly? Mitchco? Must be the playoffs because out of the woodwork they come.

The Hart? He's not even remotely the best player on his team.

Lastly, I think Loui is a perfect fit on the B's. I don't get the idiocy. 2 concussions and he's still a much better 2 way player than Fatty McPulseless or The Mimbo (who BTW had over 25% of his goals in 3 games)

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to mitchco98's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dead Horse.

Lastly, I think Loui is a perfect fit on the B's. I don't get the idiocy. 2 concussions and he's still a much better 2 way player than Fatty McPulseless or The Mimbo (who BTW had over 25% of his goals in 3 games)

[/QUOTE]

Yah, it must be the playoffs lets see how good Loui's 2 way play is. Curious to see how well Lurch does against speed and talent. Looked like an oldtimer last time these teams met.

[/QUOTE]

That's funny...since these supposed "fleecings" all they've done is win a Cup, been to the Finals again, and now have the best record in their team's entire history.

Classic troll. Back under the bridge where the trolls belong. I noticed the "Lurch" line was right on queue. Can't wait for "The Pylon" to emerge as well. Everyone just loves to hear from Trolly McTrollerton.

"You have chosen to ignore posts from mitchco98."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

In my opinion B's got shafted PC's judgement stinks period.

[/QUOTE]

No answer to my comparison to the Oilers, then?  I'll summarize: sometimes you don't trade a high end offensive player for another high end offensive player.  You use an expendable high end offensive player to acquire building blocks you need to be a championship team.  Seguin was expendable; the Bruins are the third highest scoring team in the NHL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good plan, Ol' Mitchco is a classic troll,nothing from him all year,come playoff time he pops up and never a positive post,trolly nicknames for all the B's players,negative feedback on anything the Bruins do.If the B's start winning though and keep winning, there will be less and less posts and he will ultimitely die out.So here is to a long B's playoff run and Trollco98 can go back into hiding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dead Horse.

[/QUOTE]

Yah, it must be the playoffs lets see how good Loui's 2 way play is. Curious to see how well Lurch does against speed and talent. Looked like an oldtimer last time these teams met.

[/QUOTE]

That's funny...since these supposed "fleecings" all they've done is win a Cup, been to the Finals again, and now have the best record in their team's entire history.

Classic troll. Back under the bridge where the trolls belong. I noticed the "Lurch" line was right on queue. Can't wait for "The Pylon" to emerge as well. Everyone just loves to hear from Trolly McTrollerton.

[/QUOTE]

What took you so long sea? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good plan, Ol' Mitchco is a classic troll,nothing from him all year,come playoff time he pops up and never a positive post,trolly nicknames for all the B's players,negative feedback on anything the Bruins do.If the B's start winning though and keep winning, there will be less and less posts and he will ultimitely die out.So here is to a long B's playoff run and Trollco98 can go back into hiding.

[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing 50. If God forbid the B's are to go down early. They'll never stop. So, put them on ignore when the Bruins are winning then when/if they do lose you don't have to see anything they have to say ever. Still makes this a better place. Regardless if the B's don't win this year. They'll still be a contender for the next 3 or 4 yrs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One small example of PC's legend that needs to be be put in context.  Yes Seguin didn't fit PC's  "vision", but that wasn't true at all with Kessel.  PC didn't trade 81, when he did, becasue he wanted to.  He pretty much had to.

Sure, but let's put the whole thing in context.  He had players he needed to sign.  Among them were Krejci and Kessel with almost identical numbers of games played.  He set a value to the team on each of them and prioritized.  As a result, he got Krejci under wraps before Kessel.  He was prepared to use the leverage he has under the CBA to bring Kessel in at what he felt was an accurate reflection of his value to the Bruins - not $5.5M/yr.  He took a chance that other GMs would not make an unmatchable play for a one-dimensional goal scorer as an RFA.  Burke used his RFA leverage to coax Chiarelli to the table, and Chiarelli used the threat of matching to coax Burke to the table - as he said at the press conference, if Burke had put in an RFA offer, the Bruins would have matched and found a way to manage the cap.

I think it's fair to say that Chiarelli handled Kessel's departure with an eye to his overall vision and where Kessel fit into it.  He wouldn't have let Kessel go if he'd have signed a $3.75M deal, sure, but that's a reflection of his willingness to continue to work with a player who doesn't fit instinctively.  Seguin got one more year than Kessel before it was clear he didn't fit the vision.

[/QUOTE]

Krejci is the part of the puzzle that always seems to be overlooked when folks talk about the Kessel trade. They wouldn't have been able to easily keep them both, if at all. PC decided that Krejci was more valuable, and now with a deep run by the Bruins this year Krjci could move into second place in all-time playoff scoring for the Bruins and perhaps even become only the 4th player in NHL history to win three playoff scoring titles. Sounds like PC picked the right horse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's the thing 50. If God forbid the B's are to go down early. They'll never stop. So, put them on ignore when the Bruins are winning then when/if they do lose you don't have to see anything they have to say ever. Still makes this a better place. Regardless if the B's don't win this year. They'll still be a contender for the next 3 or 4 yrs. 

[/QUOTE]

Great advice,they never post anything worth reading so it won't hurt.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

When the traded happened I'll be honest I wasn't too fond of it.  The Bruins today are a better team than they were last season therefore right now it was for the best of the team. 

My concern was 3-4 years down the line but let's enjoy the Bruins now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Why is this a discussion. It's not like they are going to reverse the trade, just like TML aren't going to give Kessel back. 

Wish him well, but move on. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Dallas Management "You know the strip clubs are hands on around here not hands off"

Seguin "Oh I know!"

Dallas Management "Ryder told you already ?"

Seguin "Ahh no not at all".

Dallas Management "Ok you can be an alternate captain". "Do you know what the entails ?".

Seguin "Hmm the opposite of A****** ?"

Really though I'd like to see what you think the real conversation was...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One small example of PC's legend that needs to be be put in context.  Yes Seguin didn't fit PC's  "vision", but that wasn't true at all with Kessel.  PC didn't trade 81, when he did, becasue he wanted to.  He pretty much had to.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, but let's put the whole thing in context.  He had players he needed to sign.  Among them were Krejci and Kessel with almost identical numbers of games played.  He set a value to the team on each of them and prioritized.  As a result, he got Krejci under wraps before Kessel.  He was prepared to use the leverage he has under the CBA to bring Kessel in at what he felt was an accurate reflection of his value to the Bruins - not $5.5M/yr.  He took a chance that other GMs would not make an unmatchable play for a one-dimensional goal scorer as an RFA.  Burke used his RFA leverage to coax Chiarelli to the table, and Chiarelli used the threat of matching to coax Burke to the table - as he said at the press conference, if Burke had put in an RFA offer, the Bruins would have matched and found a way to manage the cap.

I think it's fair to say that Chiarelli handled Kessel's departure with an eye to his overall vision and where Kessel fit into it.  He wouldn't have let Kessel go if he'd have signed a $3.75M deal, sure, but that's a reflection of his willingness to continue to work with a player who doesn't fit instinctively.  Seguin got one more year than Kessel before it was clear he didn't fit the vision.

[/QUOTE]

Krejci is the part of the puzzle that always seems to be overlooked when folks talk about the Kessel trade. They wouldn't have been able to easily keep them both, if at all. PC decided that Krejci was more valuable, and now with a deep run by the Bruins this year Krjci could move into second place in all-time playoff scoring for the Bruins and perhaps even become only the 4th player in NHL history to win three playoff scoring titles. Sounds like PC picked the right horse.

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah.  I think though, PC had planned on keeping both.  He had solid logic to suggest 81 should get close to the same money as DK, and my opinion is, he was counting on that.  When it turned out he was going to have to pay much more than that, he correctly got out.

Book made some good points, but I think PC knows he should have been more pro active.  If he tried to do an extension earlier, a clearer picture would have emerged as to Kessels intentions, and he would have had more options.  I believe PC's June plans had deep Cup run penciled in for the following spring.  I think he had his roster close to where he wanted it for most of the summer.  When the trade went down, it skewered things for the upcoming season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Are you not entertained?!?!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

I guess I must be a freakin troll, because I like Seguin.  I was not happy with the trade, because he is a star and I never like to give them away. It was a giveaway, partially because he was a party boy, partly salary dump and but it cannot be playoffs. In playoffs only Luc3+3=6 Kr 0+5=5 and Pail 2+3=5(all with Seg line) had more points in cup finals Berg had 4 G and Seg had 4a. All of the rest of the players had less points.

It is also not his d woes, he had bought in to  Cj and was a better back checker and he did it with speed.  He was not and never will be a Lucic but he is and will be a Star.

Dissing him and hating him just shows that u know nothing about hockey. It was all, he will do nothing in Dal, then wait til the playoff stretch and then wait til the playoffs, he will disappear.  He has been their best player from game 1 through 82 and now in the playoffs as he was the other night.  He led his team in points, goals , PPG11 and 8GWG.  He is no longer a Bruin that is too bad as I am a Bruin fan, I will always watch him as he is fun to watch, I hope he has a long and great career.

On a side note Seid at 3.25 and soon 4m will have to be dispensed as this team went on their tear when he was out at 28-9-7.  So I gues it was Seids that has been holding this team back. lol

Just food for thought!

Seg is gone I miss his speed, but it is time to get back to the Bruins of present, have a good night all ye fans and troll lovers haters whatever ye r, as the Canadian(pints-beer to u all) will be flowing shortly and I don't have time for all this negativity right now.

GOAT!!! THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to KMCI's comment:

I guess I must be a freakin troll, because I like Seguin.  I was not happy with the trade, because he is a star and I never like to give them away. It was a giveaway, partially because he was a party boy, partly salary dump and but it cannot be playoffs. In playoffs only Luc3+3=6 Kr 0+5=5 and Pail 2+3=5(all with Seg line) had more points in cup finals Berg had 4 G and Seg had 4a. All of the rest of the players had less points.

It is also not his d woes, he had bought in to  Cj and was a better back checker and he did it with speed.  He was not and never will be a Lucic but he is and will be a Star.

Dissing him and hating him just shows that u know nothing about hockey. It was all, he will do nothing in Dal, then wait til the playoff stretch and then wait til the playoffs, he will disappear.  He has been their best player from game 1 through 82 and now in the playoffs as he was the other night.  He led his team in points, goals , PPG11 and 8GWG.  He is no longer a Bruin that is too bad as I am a Bruin fan, I will always watch him as he is fun to watch, I hope he has a long and great career.

On a side note Seid at 3.25 and soon 4m will have to be dispensed as this team went on their tear when he was out at 28-9-7.  So I gues it was Seids that has been holding this team back. lol

Just food for thought!

Seg is gone I miss his speed, but it is time to get back to the Bruins of present, have a good night all ye fans and troll lovers haters whatever ye r, as the Canadian(pints-beer to u all) will be flowing shortly and I don't have time for all this negativity right now.

No one is denying TS is a very very good player. But the simple fact is they traded him and are a better team for it. It's the folks who are calling it a "disaster" that are offbase.

Team > Player

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many quality responses to this thread but yours is easily my favourite. Personal feelings aside, Seguin's rarely mentioned big salary increase this year was likely a huge reason he was traded. It jumped from $900,000 to $4,500, 000 this year to $5,500,000 next year and $600,000 in 2015-2016. That's a lotta cash for someone who didn't score a goal in last year's play offs.

$34.5M for an immature dooosh who needs a babysitter while he chokes the playoffs away.

[/QUOTE]

U hit the nail on the head when u said immature. But look how far he has come in one year! Only a fool cannot  see this immature kid  is headed for superstardum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Eriksson was a force tonight glad we have him. lol

Sections
Shortcuts