Seguin Expectations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Seguin Expectations

I think you focused on the wrong area, to make a weak arguement.. Seguin didn't come into a franchise that was drafting first overall for having one of the worst records in the league.. No one pegged him as the savoir of the franchise, and his contract wasnt structured around him being an 18 year old 100 point scorer league MVP.. Joe walked into incredible pressure..

Seguin may also be a faster, more dynamic puck carrier, but its absurd to call him more skilled at this point..   Thornton with or with out a cup is on a solid path to HOF career, 1000 points at 32 years old.. Seguins got a long ways to go before I would call him more skilled.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good point on the expectations Seguin came in with a ton more talent around him. I've yet to see either Phil or Jumbo have a playoff explosion like Tyler's game 2 against Tampa. Again i'm just comparing the first year of all three, so yes Tyler has a ways to go...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations:
    They can still send him down at any time, just can't bring him back up unless it's an emergency or his season's over and it uses up a year of his contract. In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations :
    Posted by OatesCam

You're right and that wasn't my point of questioning Seguin going back to junior 'at any time' due to the NHL-CHL agreement.

Burning a year off the contract while playing in juniors to me means ( realistically ) he stays in the NHL after the 10th game has been played. And any GM who comes out in public like PC did to say Seguin stays the whole year and then sends him back to junior , taking one year away from his 3 year entry level contract playing professionally is a dummy. Most GM's are not dummies. (Sather not included in last statement Laughing.)  On paper you are right. In a case where the GM says he is staying , Seguin is the #2 pick , he gets better by staying in the NHL, taking a year off his ELC ........for those reasons, sending Seguin back 'at any time' like roler stated wasn't realistic IMO. 

My mistake for being so vague. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

I think Seguin will stagnate if he's kept on third or fourth lines. It's kind of starting to look like it might not be a case of Seguin or Peverley with Bergy and Marchand ,but Seguin and Peverley with Bergy and Marchand gone.(hope not but thats what it starting to feel like)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

roler - I took the comparison to mean "after year one of their NHL careers...".  All three played the year they were drafted, and actually Kessel put of the best numbers.  Seguin played for a better team than did Kessel or Thornton, though let's not forget that the pressure on Thornton was softened by the surprising performances of Allison, Kristich, ROY Samsonov, Anson Carter, good goaltending from Dafoe, the Taylor-diMaio-Axelsson line....  A franchise that makes the playoffs doesn't need a savour the way the Oilers need Hall to be one or, say, the Jets need Mark Scheifele.  It's also a bit of a circular argument - the argument on Seguin's production has always included a caution that says "well, he won't score as much as Skinner or Hall because the Bruins are a winning team, not a rebuilding team, so he won't get force fed ice time.

Kessel wasn't exactly fed ice time, but he played over 14min/game including 2:25 on the PP.  Seguin played 2 minutes fewer per game, over a minute less on the PP (on average).  Thornton played only 8:05/game, just over 30sec on the PP/game.  I still say that was more than his play warranted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

"Joe is not the flash that you see in Seguin. Joe's a puck control passer, he could very easily put up 3 points with out standing out in a game.. Kessel looks better in glimpses too, Thorntons a hell of a better player." Seguin is better than both Thornton and Kessel after their 1st years in the NHL. Where talking about three very different players though, Kessel can't pass like Tyler nor hit like him and Joe doesn't have the explosive skating of Seguin nor can he shoot like him. Joe is a one dimensional pass first NHL player. Seguin's overall game projects to have a higher overall rounded NHL game than both Kessel and Joe time will tell. I'm with Crowls just around 50+ sounds right.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Sandog, Joe Thornton was quite flashy in his own right until he had that Knee to knee collision that sidelined him for several months. Then the coach of the time (Burns I think) changed him from a puck carrying center to a corner setup man.

Either way, Jumbo Joe would be an asset to any team. We can only hope that
    Seguin produces as much as Joe has thoughout his career !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

roler - I took the comparison to mean "after year one of their NHL careers...".  All three played the year they were drafted, and actually Kessel put of the best numbers.  Seguin played for a better team than did Kessel or Thornton, though let's not forget that the pressure on Thornton was softened by the surprising performances of Allison, Kristich, ROY Samsonov, Anson Carter, good goaltending from Dafoe, the Taylor-diMaio-Axelsson line....  A franchise that makes the playoffs doesn't need a savour the way the Oilers need Hall to be one or, say, the Jets need Mark Scheifele.  It's also a bit of a circular argument - the argument on Seguin's production has always included a caution that says "well, he won't score as much as Skinner or Hall because the Bruins are a winning team, not a rebuilding team, so he won't get force fed ice time. Kessel wasn't exactly fed ice time, but he played over 14min/game including 2:25 on the PP.  Seguin played 2 minutes fewer per game, over a minute less on the PP (on average).  Thornton played only 8:05/game, just over 30sec on the PP/game.  I still say that was more than his play warranted.
    Posted by Bookboy007

While this is true, thornton was villified for his lack of playing time, for his difficult adjustment, for samsanov winning rookie of the year etc..

No one (or few) are calling seguin aa bust at this point, which was a pretty common sentiment for thornton after 1 season because of the lofty comparisons etc.. The expectations were he was 18 years old stepping into the game and going to be eric lindros, I think the team did a great job of tempering expectations w/ seguin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Seguin Expectations:
    Before I get blasted: I've been unable to access a computer this summer, so I'm sorry if I'm late on this one, but I figured it should be a fairly big conversation going into this coming season, so please forgive me if there was a conversation held a few weeks/months ago regarding this. Going into this year, there were some people who were calling him a bust. Some people expected him to be a ROY candidate and for him to be putting up over 50 points or whatever. That was obviously unreasonable. However, after seeing him put together a huge showing in game 2 against Tampa, you've got to think that an offseason will do him well. He's going to be able to soak it up, look at the tape and say "I can play with these guys, and on some nights, these guys won't be able to play with me". There will be plenty of skeptics, I'm sure. However, the evidence that this kid has serious talent is irrefutable. All that has to happen is for the game to slow down for him, and to play with some guys that he feels comfortable playing with. Save Ryder (and only due to their chemistry do I put him down), he never really got a chance to play with anyone that could really help him shine. I honestly believe that if you put Seguin with Bergeron and Marchand, that Seguin would be in the same ballpark as Krejci as far as points go. I think it would create a unique situation where there wouldn't be a 1st line anymore; just 1A and 1B. Then we could have a 3rd line that would have Kelly, Peverley and Caron/Spooner/Pouliot/Knight, and the established 4th line (which Caron could easily fill for Thornton and give him the night off against finesse teams that Thornton can't keep up with). Anyways, anybody feel unreasonable to think that Seguin could quite possibly be top 3 in scoring for the Bruins, given a decent spot in the lineup where he plays with decent talent and gets decent minutes (15+ per game)? I'll throw down money that he outscores Horty and Looch.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

Unable to access a computer this summer??? Did you just get out of jail? What were you in for?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : While this is true, thornton was villified for his lack of playing time, for his difficult adjustment, for samsanov winning rookie of the year etc.. No one (or few) are calling seguin aa bust at this point, which was a pretty common sentiment for thornton after 1 season because of the lofty comparisons etc.. The expectations were he was 18 years old stepping into the game and going to be eric lindros, I think the team did a great job of tempering expectations w/ seguin.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Fact.  My entertainment level of the 3, Joe and Phil frustrate me to death no matter what color jersey they wear.  I'm frustrated watching them because I feel that they are not making the effort they should and they are not playing with the emotion they should be.  Tyler makes the effort, is willing to skate into traffic and not afraid at all to go to the net.
    That's the fact of my being a spectator.  The next most frustrating player for me to watch is PK Subban because his hyjinx detracts from his play.
    That's the fact of my entertainment as a spectator.

As matter of opinion and conjecture is if what I gather from my entertainment value is in fact what these players are actually doing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Seguin Expectations : Unable to access a computer this summer??? Did you just get out of jail? What were you in for?
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

You access computers in jail.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

To make a long story short, I returned from deployment and didn't have a computer. I've been all over the place, and didn't see a reason to buy a computer. Glad to see I haven't missed the boat on much Seguin conversation though haha.

It all depends on where he is in the lineup. I think that if he works hard and earns a spot on the 2nd line with Bergeron and Marchand, that he'll eclipse 50 points rather easily. Bergeron is a great setup man, and if Marchand can pot 21 goals playing with him, Seguin easily can. Add to that Seguin's nifty passing ability, playing with a couple guys who both scored over 20 goals this year. Yes, sometimes Seguin gets a little jumpy with the puck (don't forget that he is still 19) and missed a few passes, he occasionally would make some passes that MAYBE only Krejci or Bergeron would make (i.e. his 2nd assist in game 2 vs. Tampa). I think that his shooting ability is right there with Stamkos, but he didn't get many open looks. He seems almost unstoppable when he has an open shot, and has speed that no defenseman in the league can match. You put him on the ice with two solid forwards and with any of the plethera of solid defensemen the B's have, and you'll see a confident player this year that will do some pretty serious damage.
    I think we'll only see improvement in his play in tight space, which is what makes the difference between an average player and an elite player, really. Most guys in the NHL can tear it up in open ice, but not many can pull tricks out of their hat when there's a guy in his face. He has that ability, he just has to trust it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Could you imagine being a center in Providence?

They lose Marc Savard and STILL they have Krecji, Bergeron, Campbell and a third line that may be completely comprised of could be centers in Kelly, Peverly and Seguin.......good luck breaking through at THAT position

As far as Seguin goes this year.  I see 25 goals, 50 points and a BUNCH of highlight reel moments, including his first career fight.....against Steven Stamkos

Because I think Stamkos hasn't forgeten getting laid out by Seguin in last years playoffs

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just about every forward the Bruins have in the system is a C, or played there predominantly in Jr.  If they (the prospects) get stuck on that, they won't go far.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

BF70, your entitled to your opinion, your going to get destroyed on it here.. but I dont really agree with that.. They couldnt send him to providence, they could have send him back to juniors at anypoint though, not a clause in his contract though.. And his biggest assets right now, is his ability, needs to grow and develop, but he's definitely an NHL player.. Cocky and arrogant though? He said all the right things, and if you think hes either of those you need to youtube his horrible awkward dunkin donuts commercials, keep in mind each of those was the "best take" they got.. He comes acrossed as probably being shy and quiet to me.. I'd like to see a little cockiness and arrogance show up, it'll do you wonders in pro sports.. Marchand already thinks he's a super star, half the board agrees with him..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

i don't think he is shy. I go to a college in massachusetts, and i literally don't know a girl who doesn't know some other girl whos bangd seguin

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : i don't think he is shy. I go to a college in massachusetts, and i literally don't know a girl who doesn't know some other girl whos bangd seguin
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

wow, you know a girl, (or many) who knows a girl (or many) who hooked up with seguin, thats what you want to go with??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : wow, you know a girl, (or many) who knows a girl (or many) who hooked up with seguin, thats what you want to go with??
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Why not ? Isn't this the same way Eklund gets his info ? And he makes money doing it. juniorfalcon, you have a bright future in front of you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

You all don't know Tyler Seguin, still.

Any kid, who at 15 and 16, took a bus from Brampton, ON, to Downsview, ON, and then grab the Subway to mid-town Toronto (easily a 2 hour trip), in the morning and again at night, is one determined and focused young man who is intent on succeeding.

He did this for schooling and advancing his hockey career.

The NHL, Claude Julien or anyone else will not hold this kid back from becoming the best. His NHL career will be the icing on his cake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : wow, you know a girl, (or many) who knows a girl (or many) who hooked up with seguin, thats what you want to go with??
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Hahahaa!  I spit my coffee on this one...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

My expectations of TS are that of a 2nd line winger. That means 50-60 points and smart defense. Pretty high expectations for a 19 year old but I think he can handle it. I've met him a few times, he seems like a quiet, humble kid and by all accounts a good student of the game. Sky is the limit for him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This could also mean you don't know any girls.... 

I'm speaking grammatically, of course.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I have held off making predictions on TS because it is hard to do so not knowing whether he is going to be a 2nd line winger with Bergeron or Marchand or whether he is going to be 3rd line center.  Also is CJ going to take the reigns off and is Tyler  going to be a regular on the power play?  I think he will most likely score in the 20-25 goal range and the 45-55 point range.  I do think if CJ allows him the same leeway that he gives his other talented players that he would have a shot at at 30 goals and 60-70 points, but I still anticipate that the reigns will come off slowly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : You access computers in jail.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Unless you are in 24hr Lockdown !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

My guess is that he'll eventually be a 40-40-80 guy, but not this year. I say he makes it halfway there, with 2012-2013 being the time for him to shine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : i don't think he is shy. I go to a college in massachusetts, and i literally don't know a girl who doesn't know some other girl whos bangd seguin
    Posted by juniorfalcon19

To switch it around into the opposite form:

You do know a girl who does know a girl who didn't?

Sections
Shortcuts