Seguin Expectations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Seguin Expectations

Before I get blasted: I've been unable to access a computer this summer, so I'm sorry if I'm late on this one, but I figured it should be a fairly big conversation going into this coming season, so please forgive me if there was a conversation held a few weeks/months ago regarding this.

Going into this year, there were some people who were calling him a bust. Some people expected him to be a ROY candidate and for him to be putting up over 50 points or whatever. That was obviously unreasonable.
    However, after seeing him put together a huge showing in game 2 against Tampa, you've got to think that an offseason will do him well. He's going to be able to soak it up, look at the tape and say "I can play with these guys, and on some nights, these guys won't be able to play with me".
    There will be plenty of skeptics, I'm sure. However, the evidence that this kid has serious talent is irrefutable. All that has to happen is for the game to slow down for him, and to play with some guys that he feels comfortable playing with. Save Ryder (and only due to their chemistry do I put him down), he never really got a chance to play with anyone that could really help him shine.
    I honestly believe that if you put Seguin with Bergeron and Marchand, that Seguin would be in the same ballpark as Krejci as far as points go. I think it would create a unique situation where there wouldn't be a 1st line anymore; just 1A and 1B. Then we could have a 3rd line that would have Kelly, Peverley and Caron/Spooner/Pouliot/Knight, and the established 4th line (which Caron could easily fill for Thornton and give him the night off against finesse teams that Thornton can't keep up with).
    Anyways, anybody feel unreasonable to think that Seguin could quite possibly be top 3 in scoring for the Bruins, given a decent spot in the lineup where he plays with decent talent and gets decent minutes (15+ per game)? I'll throw down money that he outscores Horty and Looch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Seguin Expectations

Seguin is the most talented Bruin.  He will play more this season.  He will play in better situations.  He will play with better players.  He will be a better player.  I would put no restrictions on his offensive statistics.  I would say he is still a few years away from being a dominant all-around player, but he will likely score a lot as early as this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He's put on 10 lbs of muscle last I heard, that was back in July.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations:
    [QUOTE]He's put on 10 lbs of muscle last I heard, that was back in July.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Not saying Seguin is the same type of player BadHab; but Wheeler did the same thing except he added 15-20 lbs. I think what Seguin needs is the confidence from CJ that when/if he makes a mistake he won't be benched every single time! Say what you want about Mike Keenan; but he's the one that FINALLY got Joe Thornton going. Don't get me wrong. I loved Pat Burns- one of my favourite coaches of all time; but he just didn't seem to give Joe a break. I just hope that if CJ is going to be coddling Pouliet; he should be giving Seguin a little bit of leeway as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Second half of this season will be his coming out party.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : Not saying Seguin is the same type of player BadHab; but Wheeler did the same thing except he added 15-20 lbs. I think what Seguin needs is the confidence from CJ that when/if he makes a mistake he won't be benched every single time! Say what you want about Mike Keenan; but he's the one that FINALLY got Joe Thornton going. Don't get me wrong. I loved Pat Burns- one of my favourite coaches of all time; but he just didn't seem to give Joe a break. I just hope that if CJ is going to be coddling Pouliet; he should be giving Seguin a little bit of leeway as well.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure Joe deserved a break.
    I don't remember many moments from Joe's rookie year - not like I remember some of Tyler's moments in his rookie year.  Tyler scored some big goals, including a beaut in his first game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I continue to be bullish on Seguin for next year:
    1) lands 2nd line RW spot with Bergeron and Marchand
    2) lands #1 PP duty working the LW wall

Translation: 25-32-57

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Second half of this season will be his coming out party.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

i was thinking the same thing kel, if seguin is put with bergeron and marchand and sticks with them, it will take some time for them to get used to each other. the 3 of them together will get better as the season progresses. the out-put overall im expecting is along the lines of what marchand put up last year. 22 goals and 22 assists or something of that nature, putting him around anywhere from 45 to 50 points would be a successful season in most peoples eyes i would think but with his talent the sky is the limit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]I continue to be bullish on Seguin for next year: 1) lands 2nd line RW spot with Bergeron and Marchand 2) lands #1 PP duty working the LW wall Translation: 25-32-57
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Is playing Seguin against the other teams top lines night after night a smart move?  I'm not so sure.  I think he'd be better off on the third line with Peverley, and Kelly riding with Bergy and Marchand.  Seems to fit better.  Seguin could still put up some nice numbers but not be so responsible for the shut down role. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Wow,
    Lots of speculation on here.. and no one seems to have hit the real problem.. Its not the Coach.. Seguin at this point, plays great in space, and with the puck.. He needs to adjust to the speed of the game, and not having the space he had in juniors.. Its that simple..

And Badhab.. Thornton came in with the expectations that he was going to save a franchise, if seguin had been faced with those expectations and put up the season he did there would be a lot of disapointment.. Joe is not the flash that you see in Seguin.. So I would think your assessment is way off base.. Joe's a puck control passer, he could very easily put up 3 points with out standing out in a game.. Kessel looks better in glimpses too, Thorntons a hell of a better player.

I'd be happy to see Seguin put up 20 and 25.. But really if he just improves and looks like he belongs out there regardless of the play style and the opponent I would be happy..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Cocky arrogant kid that go very lucky last year, because he had a clause that couldn't send him to Providence.  I see him gone in a couple years.  He doesn't have the compete level, strength or ability to pass or receive puck in tight areas.  Sorry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

BF70,
    your entitled to your opinion, your going to get destroyed on it here.. but I dont really agree with that.. They couldnt send him to providence, they could have send him back to juniors at anypoint though, not a clause in his contract though..

And his biggest assets right now, is his ability, needs to grow and develop, but he's definitely an NHL player.. Cocky and arrogant though? He said all the right things, and if you think hes either of those you need to youtube his horrible awkward dunkin donuts commercials, keep in mind each of those was the "best take" they got.. He comes acrossed as probably being shy and quiet to me.. I'd like to see a little cockiness and arrogance show up, it'll do you wonders in pro sports.. Marchand already thinks he's a super star, half the board agrees with him..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

whats with all these wasted draft picks on canadians fromt hat jr goon league why not put some of our local kids in the lineup they always deliver plus they can read and write lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Seguin will get 60 pts easy ...dont be surprised if he gets 70 pts ....Pouliot will get 50-55 points ...this team will be so much better than last season WOW ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

A complicating factor is that Peverly got better and better in the late games and then in the playoffs.  He has excellent speed and puck control and ability to play the patterns as they emerge.  His checking is top notch.  He can score, and he';s not shy getting into the tight spots in the slot.   He has it all.  And he's on an upward curve, getting better in the prime of his career.  

So who will ride RW with Bergy?  If Peverly proves to be the right fit, where does that leave Seguin?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

First, dump the trolls bluefox and kanes, just on here to stir up trouble. Let's all give a rest until we see a few training camp activities. IMO Seguin will learn more , and play a more significant role with Bergeron. Additionally, Chiarelli has told Bergie that he will have better players on his wings a year ago. Earlier, I suggested that Seguin could be another Mike Bossy if he plays with Bergeron, and I still feel that way. Adding muscle is Seguin's answer to being bumped around this past year, and, hopefully it's also in his wrists and forearms for increased puck control. All of this is exciting and interesting as are the player capsules in response to NAS request.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]First, dump the trolls bluefox and kanes, just on here to stir up trouble. Let's all give a rest until we see a few training camp activities. IMO Seguin will learn more , and play a more significant role with Bergeron. Additionally, Chiarelli has told Bergie that he will have better players on his wings a year ago. Earlier, I suggested that Seguin could be another Mike Bossy if he plays with Bergeron, and I still feel that way. Adding muscle is Seguin's answer to being bumped around this past year, and, hopefully it's also in his wrists and forearms for increased puck control. All of this is exciting and interesting as are the player capsules in response to NAS request.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

good post bogie but i was wondering if u thought that playing with bergeron and marchand would hurt seguins offensive numbers because of the the responsibilities that line has had playing against the other teams top lines a good amount of the game?
    it was that and getting use to his line mates was what makes me believe that seguin would have a better second half this up coming year.
    pretty much being the a mirror image to marchand 41 points or somewhere around there 40 to 50 points, but his skill is definitely capable of even more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin will get 60 pts easy ...dont be surprised if he gets 70 pts ....Pouliot will get 50-55 points ...this team will be so much better than last season WOW ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

stanley, i always enjoy the enthusiasm but pouliot has given nothing to show he is capable of 50 to 55 points. he has played in 183 regular season games over parts of 5 years and complied a total of 72 points. here's hoping your right or even close cause if the bruins get that type of production out of 3 line winger at 1.1 million for next year then there definitely going to be better during the regular season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

Trolls bluefox and kanes on ignore list..

I'm too much of a pessimist to expect a reapeat of last year's dream season.  But I'm not too much of a pessimist to expect no improvement from TS this year.  His development is a big reason I will be following the team closely this year.  I have not been this excited about a Bruin's prospect since Jumbo Joe.  I too am in the camp hoping to see TS get some time with Bergy and Marchy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Joe is not the flash that you see in Seguin. Joe's a puck control passer, he could very easily put up 3 points with out standing out in a game.. Kessel looks better in glimpses too, Thorntons a hell of a better player."

Seguin is better than both Thornton and Kessel after their 1st years in the NHL. Where talking about three very different players though, Kessel can't pass like Tyler nor hit like him and Joe doesn't have the explosive skating of Seguin nor can he shoot like him. Joe is a one dimensional pass first NHL player.

Seguin's overall game projects to have a higher overall rounded NHL game than both Kessel and Joe time will tell. I'm with Crowls just around 50+ sounds right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I see no reason to wait till it actually happens to talk about his stuff, that's what summer hockey talk is for.  The point of playing with Bergeron requires defensive responsibility is a valid one, but I think you will still see Seguin on that line.  It didn't stop Marchand or Recchi from scoring a lot.  Also, it's early in the season so CJ won't be too obsessed with matchups.  You probably won't see Chara and Seidenberg together either and he will roll 4 lines more than in the playoffs.  A Peverley - Kelly third line duo means they can take a lot of tough match-ups as well in a more traditional 3rd line role.  Marchand, Bergeron and Seguin are three quick-thinking, talented players who can both pass and finish.  I think they could have great chemistry.  I like Marsh and TS on the PP last year when we briefly saw it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]BF70, your entitled to your opinion, your going to get destroyed on it here.. but I dont really agree with that.. They couldnt send him to providence, they could have send him back to juniors at anypoint though, not a clause in his contract though.. And his biggest assets right now, is his ability, needs to grow and develop, but he's definitely an NHL player.. Cocky and arrogant though? He said all the right things, and if you think hes either of those you need to youtube his horrible awkward dunkin donuts commercials, keep in mind each of those was the "best take" they got.. He comes acrossed as probably being shy and quiet to me.. I'd like to see a little cockiness and arrogance show up, it'll do you wonders in pro sports.. Marchand already thinks he's a super star, half the board agrees with him..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Huh ? NHL - CHL 10 game agreement ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

To my knowledge, and maybe I am wrong, but the 10 game agreement is the trigger of his entry level contract.  You dont want to play a guy for 15 games, send him to juniors and lose a year..

Maybe I am wrong on that, but I believe the palyer can still be returned to juniors after that point, but he can not be recalled once he is returned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They can still send him down at any time, just can't bring him back up unless it's an emergency or his season's over and it uses up a year of his contract.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin Expectations : Huh ? NHL - CHL 10 game agreement ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

25. This post has been removed.