Seguin for Loui Eriksson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Seguin for Loui Eriksson?

Shupe, is our team better? Yes.

Loui is not better than Seguin, but he plays a different role and makes the second line better. And I swear to god, I honestly think we got a future star in Morrow (hopefully this isn't my personal Tommy Cross moment) but I think we got a better player for right now, with Loui, in terms of the style the B's play and the position of need, as well as one player that could potentially be almost as good (though in a different position and role) as the one we gave up. We also got one other player that will be solid, as well as a very young already NHL player with room for growh. Is our team as a team better? I think the answer is yes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

I like Louie dez but not at the expense of a potential franchise player.  However PC clearly soured on him and I'm sure it is for good reason.  I just hope he didn't give up on him too soon.  Only time will tell.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Potential franchise player?  Certainly not Seguin.  He's had years to get going.  He couldn't make the second line in the Cup Finals.  He was supplanted by a guy who had zero goals. 

We hoped Seguin woud be a franchise player.  He didn't become one.  Please save the "he's only 21" stuff.  As Oatescam pointed out last year, a player's third year is generally his top for points.  In Seguin's third year, he was demoted to third line duty in the playoffs.

I wish him the best.  He didn't turn out how I had hoped.

If you want to see a franchise player, watch Patrick Kane with the puck.  Watch Ovechkin, Stam(P)kos, or Getzlaf/Perry.  Look up some stats from true franchise players like Modano, Yzerman, Hull, Sakic, or Lindros.  Those guys are/were franchise players. 

Seguin is said to have a lot of skill.  His creativity is zero.  I am not going to look it up, but I'd bet he has very few, if any, unassisted goals.  Maybe a strip and a breakaway, but that's one out of the 500 times he carried the puck in alone, tried some inside-out move and fired the puck wide.  He sucked balls on the powerplay, also.  No, you don't need a great powerplay to win games, but if it's 5 on 4 and you have this Superstar-In-Training, you'd think he'd feast upon it...like Stam(P)kos does.  Nope.  Seguin could rarely even make the first unit.

See ya kid.  I wish you the best.  Enjoy The Big D.

Bring on Loui!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Loui is not better than Seguin, but he plays a different role and makes the second line better. And I swear to god, I honestly think we got a future star in Morrow (hopefully this isn't my personal Tommy Cross moment) but I think we got a better player for right now, with Loui, in terms of the style the B's play and the position of need, as well as one player that could potentially be almost as good (though in a different position and role) as the one we gave up. We also got one other player that will be solid, as well as a very young already NHL player with room for growh. Is our team as a team better? I think the answer is yes.

Yet, we stilll need a top line rwinger.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Bring on Loui!

I am archiving this .......we will know soon enough my man...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

that's because of Horton, it has nothing to do with this trade. We'll get him tomorrow or in the near future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Isn't Ericksson going to be the top line right winger?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

2nd line I'd guess NAS - not because of talent, but because he seems like a perfect fit alongside Marchand and Bergeron (though I'd argue that's our number one line anyway)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Has everyone just abandoned the idea of editing the quote box?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

have you abandoned commenting on content? :p

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

According to all sources he is playing on the Bergeron line.....who is going to replace Horton again....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]

I like Louie dez but not at the expense of a potential franchise player.  However PC clearly soured on him and I'm sure it is for good reason.  I just hope he didn't give up on him too soon.  Only time will tell.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Potential franchise player?  Certainly not Seguin.  He's had years to get going.  He couldn't make the second line in the Cup Finals.  He was supplanted by a guy who had zero goals. 

We hoped Seguin woud be a franchise player.  He didn't become one.  Please save the "he's only 21" stuff.  As Oatescam pointed out last year, a player's third year is generally his top for points.  In Seguin's third year, he was demoted to third line duty in the playoffs.

If you want to see a franchise player, watch Patrick Kane with the puck.  Watch Ovechkin, Stam(P)kos, or Getzlaf/Perry.  Look up some stats from true franchise players like Modano, Yzerman, Hull, Sakic, or Lindros.  Those guys are/were franchise players. 

Seguin is said to have a lot of skill.  His creativity is zero.  I am not going to look it up, but I'd bet he has very few, if any, unassisted goals.  Maybe a strip and a breakaway, but that's one out of the 500 times he carried the puck in alone, tried some inside-out move and fired the puck wide.  He sucked balls on the powerplay, also.  No, you don't need a great powerplay to win games, but if it's 5 on 4 and you have this Superstar-In-Training, you'd think he'd feast upon it...like Stam(P)kos does.  Nope.  Seguin could rarely even make the first unit.

Bring on Loui!

[/QUOTE]

Statistically, I'd say that's the exception rather than the rule.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

Statistically, I'd say that's the exception rather than the rule.

Statistically, I'd say that out of all of the members here, no one cares what you think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I was hoping Oleksiak would be involved. Oh well. 

[/QUOTE]

My first thoughts also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Whoa whoa whoa.

Bring on Loui!

NAS my man, you do remember that TS led the team in scoring his 2nd year, correct?  I'll give you that he had a bad year this year, no two ways about it.  But he had a GREAT second year.  Nobody knows for sure what his ceiling is going to be.  But I see a ton more upside than downside, based on the fact he has proven he can score in this league, he just wasn't able to do it it in this years' playoffs.  And that's a shortsighted reason to give up on him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS my man, you do remember that TS led the team in scoring his 2nd year, correct?  I'll give you that he had a bad year this year, no two ways about it.  But he had a GREAT second year.  Nobody knows for sure what his ceiling is going to be.  But I see a ton more upside than downside, based on the fact he has proven he can score in this league, he just wasn't able to do it it in this years' playoffs.  And that's a shortsighted reason to give up on him.

I do remember, Hang.  I also remember watching almost every game and never feeling like Seguin was a constant threat.  You know the feeling you got when Kane carried the puck over the blue line?  Never felt that with Seguin.

Leading the team in scoring, when no one in the team is in the Top 20, isn't so awesome.  Sure, he can score.  He can't create.  If he goes wild in Dallas, fantastic for him.  Eriksson had more points than Seguin in the year Seguin lead the B's in points. 

Upside this and upside that.  No one knows how anyone will turn out.  Maybe he'll get better.  Maybe he'll plateau.  Maybe he'll tank and be in the AHL in three years. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm reading a lot of people that are not in favor of this trade because of the whole...he's young...he's a franchise player...it could come back to haunt us...remember Kessel and Thorton.

First I can remember both Kessel and Thorton doing more as a player than this kid. Thorton had some good seasons here before being dealt away in what may of been the dumbest trade in NHL history. Thorton was big and played like it most of the time. Kessel could score goals...we saw that. The puck would jump off that kids stick and end up in the net when he was within 15 feet of the net regularly - we knew he could score...he did score....he scores now. Those were traits he showed and continues to show. Seguin is not showing much going into this trade. He is a fast skater, he can pass the puck and he has a fast release on his shot (but without the scoring ability of a Kessel). 

Watching Seguin during this playoff run was disgusting. I honestly couldn't believe someone would even attempt to play the game of playoff hockey like that. To think that our "franchise player" would try to skate around people to get to loose pucks in both ends of the ice...you can't do that. Every time this kid had the puck on his stick in front of the net, I knew it wasn't going in the net...and it didn't. I'm tired of watching this stuff...I'm tired of waiting, this is not some little weak kid that just needs to get bigger and stronger (anyone ever seen him with his personal trainer on the internet?) he is strong enough, he just doesn't have it in him.

Maybe this guy will develop into a thirty goal scorer and put up 90 points a season? Well if that's what he eventually turns into fine, but there will always be the playoffs where things get physical and you know this guy will disapear. You can't pay a guy 5 plus million a year for what he brings to the table right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

have you abandoned commenting on content? :p

You answered yes and gave me a song and dance about morrow....1st thanks for the song and more for the dance.   Is todays team better then the one that was 2 wins shy of the cup?  

No AF, no horton, no seguin, no jagr, no peverly

we insert bart, soder, lou

my answer today is a big fat NO!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Those of you who are bent about the deal, I ask you this:  Remember in the Stanley Cup playoffs when the B's lost to Chicago?  Do you think a couple of goals by this golden boy would have helped? 

He choked so badly it's amazing.

See ya, kid.  Hope it all works out for you...elsewhere.

OK NAS, Ive read through all your posts and Im not picking up any SARCASM to your posts about Seguin. So, for what it is, I TOTALLY AGREE with you on your analysis of Seguin. We all know he has skill and he is young, but he is too soft. As NAS said in an earlier post, he avoids contact as much as he can. Everyone talks about his speed. I didnt see him blow by any defenseman this year. Everytime he would get the puck in a one on one situation, he would take off and attack the defender, only to lose the puck off his stick. Then shy away from contact when the defender picked it up. Same story with the same ending. I actually felt his play took a step backwards this year. I feel like what we have seen out of his offense is all we'll ever see. One dimensional right now. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I love the trade.

Nice move P.C.

Seguin is a future compliance buyout

Sorry fellas, he doesn't have the stick skills or the hockey sense to be the player we need him to be. We didn't trade him because of off-the-ice issues, we traded him because teams have figured him out... Just don't get beat by his speed, and he'll turn the puck over.

Great great trade. P.C. might have just saved the organization from a brutal contract.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

According to all sources he is playing on the Bergeron line.....who is going to replace Horton again....[/QUOTE]

Not Seguin...Who do you want from free agency or via trade ?

Who now can say that PC can't pull off a blockbuster ?

PC has two now...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Olsonic's comment:

I love the trade.

Nice move P.C.

Sorry fellas, he doesn't have the stick skills or the hockey sense to be the player we need him to be. We didn't trade him because of off-the-ice issues, we traded him because teams have figured him out... Just don't get beat by his speed, and he'll turn the puck over.

Great great trade. P.C. might have just saved the organization from a brutal contract.

I wish, hes gonna hand one out for 7 million soon

Seguin i said last week reminds me of russ courtnall.  Blazing speed, crazy shot but with no sense of how the game is played.   There was a reason he was left of canadas junior team.   Im getting a chuckle outta all the people who were dead set against the trading of him last week and now are true company men.  

PS, ovi won the mvp and selected to the 1st and 2nd allstar teams.  Bet corsi didnt see that one coming.   

Hows life anyway.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I love the trade.

Nice move P.C.

I agree with everything you've stated, OC.  I think the compliance buyout is a one time thing.  Each team gets two right now and that's that.

Dallas is going to have to go Bill Guerin on his ace in order to get rid of that deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Seguin i said last week reminds me of russ courtnall.  Blazing speed, crazy shot but with no sense of how the game is played.   There was a reason he was left of canadas junior team.  Im getting a chuckle outta all the people who were dead set against the trading of him last week and now are true company men.  

PS, ovi won the mvp and selected to the 1st and 2nd allstar teams.  Bet corsi didnt see that one coming.   

Hows life anyway.   

Excellent comparison, shupe.  Totally forgot about that guy.  We'll have to wait to see if Seguin goes on to three straight 20-plus goal seasons like Courtnall did for the Habs after he was swapped for John Kordic.  Ericksson's consistency suggests he'll be productive on a contending Bruin team as much as he was for the non-playoffs for five straight years Dallas Stars. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Don't look now, but they have gone and named a city after him in Texas already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seguin,_Texas

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

I love the trade.

Nice move P.C.

I wish, hes gonna hand one out for 7 million soon

Seguin i said last week reminds me of russ courtnall.  Blazing speed, crazy shot but with no sense of how the game is played.   There was a reason he was left of canadas junior team.   Im getting a chuckle outta all the people who were dead set against the trading of him last week and now are true company men.  

Hows life anyway.   

[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to see him traded but I'm pleased with the return Shupe. I like Seguin and believe he will do well but I also really like Eriksson and I know he will do well. 

Sections
Shortcuts