Seguin for Loui Eriksson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Seguin for Loui Eriksson?

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

From Hockey's Future-

2011-12: Morrow was so impressive in his first training camp with the Pittsburgh Penguins that he almost made the NHL roster out of training camp. However, concerned over a possible lack of ice time, the Penguins re-assigned the defensemen to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Morrow picked up right where he left off with a powerhouse Portland team, posting 17 goals, 47 assists, and 99 penalty minutes in 62 regular season games. He had another impressive playoff performance as well, managing four goals and 13 assists in 22 games.

Talent Analysis

A mobile and aggressive two-way defenseman who can play in all situations, Joe Morrow has seen his stock rise meteorically since his draft year in 2010-11. Playing with poise and maturity far beyond his years, Morrow possesses the ability to retrieve the puck from his own zone and start the play up ice. His puck-distribution ability is top notch and he has a hard and heavy shot that typically hits the net. He also owns a high hockey IQ and does an excellent job of keeping his head up when moving the puck up ice and carrying it along the blue line.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

dez, reading this and the one San provided in another thread about Fraser I'm starting to feel a bit more settled with this trade.  In no way do I think Chiarelli would trade away a supremely talented player for anything less than something that would benefit and impact the overall good of the Bruins. 

Let me ask you what I asked San earlier. Do you think this deal was largely cap-directed or did PC recognize the Bruins lacked something in their overall roster makeup and needed to address it?

[/QUOTE]

I think it's a combo of the 2 RHO. I have no idea why folks are so upset. Most expected Pev to be dealt for a mid round pick so to me, the return on both of them seems solid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

They will have over 13 mill if Savard is put on LTIR. If Rask signs for 7 then there will still be plenty of cash left.

Ok, fair enough.

Rask-$7million

Backup goalie-$1million

2 forwards and cap room for seasonal moves-$1million left plus Savard's $4million.

Not much there.....

[/QUOTE]

Dont need 2 forwards. Already 11 signed including Smith. Plug in Svedberg and PC will still have 12 to sign Rask and another forward. If PC needs more cap space then he can still move another player if need be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Dont need 2 forwards. Already 11 signed including Smith. Plug in Svedberg and PC will still have 12 to sign Rask and another forward. If PC needs more cap space then he can still move another player if need be.

Smith and his 3 goals in 36 games as a spare part (10 mins a game on a bad team) is going to be a regular? Does CJ know?

So, Eriksson and Smith are an upgrade over Seguin and Peverley?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think it's a combo of the 2 RHO. I have no idea why folks are so upset. Most expected Pev to be dealt for a mid round pick so to me, the return on both of them seems solid.

dez, perhaps it's also the thought of what Seguin might develop into based on what we've seen so far.  I had that in my mind.  You're right.  Most had Peverley out the door this summer and were willing to help him pack.  Ericksson's a solid proven commodity and by the sounds of it, Morrow and Fraser fit the mold of how we fans like the Bruins to play; skilled and tough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Love Eriksson good two way payer like everyone's says . That"s  a player that fits why Claude's system. They will be another move to follow besides Tuukka and Patrice's contracts. ( Alfredsson or Ryder could be next. I like the trade I don't know much about the prospects the bruins got.I am just wondering what's next.  The fireworks started early.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Not quite the deal I was looking to see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Smith and his 3 goals in 36 games as a spare part (10 mins a game on a bad team) is going to be a regular? Does CJ know?

So, Eriksson and Smith are an upgrade over Seguin and Peverley?

Yes. The cap space is just a bonus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

dez, perhaps it's also the thought of what Seguin might develop into based on what we've seen so far.  I had that in my mind.  You're right.  Most had Peverley out the door this summer and were willing to help him pack.  Ericksson's a solid proven commodity and by the sounds of it, Morrow and Fraser fit the mold of how we fans like the Bruins to play; skilled and tough.

RHO, I supported Seguin as much as anyone did and I'm still pleased with the return. My buddy in Dallas says Eriksson will likely score 35+ next year and that the Stars will really miss him. You gotta give to get though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fair enough.

B's Forward Roster now:

Lucic/DK/?

Marchand/PB/?

Eriksson/Kelly/?

Paille/Campbell/ST

This is just going by proven nhl experience and traditional position.

Is Sods now a proven regular? Do Eriksson and Marchand play their off-wing? Are some baby Bs expected to come in and start? Briere just went for $4 million which is the absolute max PC can pay out for a FA, what can he get for that?

Just questions I am asking myself. No intent to be abrassive on my part.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Fair enough.

B's Forward Roster now:

Lucic/DK/?

Marchand/PB/?

Eriksson/Kelly/?

Paille/Campbell/ST

This is just going by proven nhl experience and traditional position.

Is Sods now a proven regular? Do Eriksson and Marchand play their off-wing? Are some baby Bs expected to come in and start? Briere just went for $4 million which is the absolute max PC can pay out for a FA, what can he get for that?

Just questions I am asking myself. No intent to be abrassive on my part.

Eriksson will be a 1st liner in Boston. He plays both wings easily. I actually prefer him with Bergeron to form the best shutdown line in hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Eriksson will be a 1st liner in Boston. He plays both wings easily. I actually prefer him with Bergeron to form the best shutdown line in hockey.

Interesting......waiting to see what Pc is going to do to fill the other rw hole on the top six. Its still an issue despite all his manouvering so far....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Interesting......waiting to see what Pc is going to do to fill the other rw hole on the top six. Its still an issue despite all his manouvering so far....

[/QUOTE]

You're right on that. No doubt about it but I believe PC's still got some tricks up his sleeve.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Eriksson has 307 points in his last 373 games and he's missed only 3 games in the last 5 years.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

RHO, I supported Seguin as much as anyone did and I'm still pleased with the return. My buddy in Dallas says Eriksson will likely score 35+ next year and that the Stars will really miss him. You gotta give to get though.

And there you are.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Realistically, the long-term prognosis for any trade involving Seguin is unlikely to favor the Bruins - provided you look only at the players in the trade.  Sandog and Red have me feeling a bit more comfortable with that part.  It's a risk and the total production of Morrow and Fraser most likely will not match Seguin, but hopefully it won't be an avalanche of a difference.

As for the other aspects of the trade, the possibilities opened up for signings, we'll have to wait on that.  Tomorrow should be interesting.

If nothing else happens though, they'll be stuck in the same place they were before the trade: looking for a top 6 wing and some kind of prosperity from the third line.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Cap space to pay Rask.  I wanted Drouin.   Lou is a fine player but seguin should have got more in return.   i was all for trading seguin for a top prospect like drouin.  Not for a guy like lou.  We didnt even snag a pick.   Getting a prospect dman in morrow is fibe but hes been dumped twice.  Who knows if he will ever make it and is stuck behind a trio who are nhl ready now.  

what ufa out there is young and has the ability to be a francise guy?   Answer is no one.  Leads us back to NAS post about buyer beware.  So now what are we gonna do?   Over spend on a guy?   Give rask his stupid 7m deal.  So to sign rask we lose seguin.   

Anyone from yesterday wanna chime in now?   7m gets you rask and you lose seguin.  

all in all ive seen worse deals.  As dez pts out lou is a pretty consistant player.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Can't help feeling like:

Seguin = Thornton

Sturm = Ericksson

Stuart = Morrow

Primeau = Smith & Fraser

No problem trading him, expected a much better return.

Actually:

Thornton traded = huge money saved = Sign Chara = Cup

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Cap space to pay Rask.  I wanted Drouin.   Lou is a fine player but seguin should have got more in return.   i was all for trading seguin for a top prospect like drouin.  Not for a guy like lou.  We didnt even snag a pick.   Getting a prospect dman in morrow is fibe but hes been dumped twice.  Who knows if he will ever make it and is stuck behind a trio who are nhl ready now.  

what ufa out there is young and has the ability to be a francise guy?   Answer is no one.  Leads us back to NAS post about buyer beware.  So now what are we gonna do?   Over spend on a guy?   Give rask his stupid 7m deal.  So to sign rask we lose seguin.   

Anyone from yesterday wanna chime in now?   7m gets you rask and you lose seguin.  

all in all ive seen worse deals.  As dez pts out lou is a pretty consistant player.  

Being dealt for star players isn't what I'd describe as being dumped. Morrow was a player that was requested both times he was traded.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

I dont think PC traded Seguin to pay for Rask, he always had the money for goaltending. This is something else entirely. Apparently Seguin simply did not "fit the Bruin mold" so PC traded for someone who allegedly does.

That said drcc is accurate in that we are still in the same position of needing a quality top line right winger and now have a gap on the third line.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Jeff O'Neill @odognine2 11m

Seguin will flourish at center ice in Dallas. Tremendous upside. Love the deal for stars. Everyone goes out at 21. Get over it.

Kind of sums up how I feel.

coming from O'Neill, a guy who never reached his "supposed" potential....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So, they traded a kid who showed flashes of greatness once in a great while.  Big deal.

So, they traded a kid who was selected 2nd overall.  Big deal.

So, they traded a kid who 100% tanked when it mattered the most.  Awesome news.

See ya later, Tyler.  You were too much of a dapper dandy to be a Boston Bruin.  You never went into the corner first.  Despite your impressive strength (Chiarelli called it girth...gross), you failed to win puck battles often.  Your creativity is non-existant.  Marchand played with Thornton and Thornton got 10 goals.  You played with Peverley and Kelly and all three of you stunk.  You are not the offensive force we had hoped for when you arrivied.  While Bergeron, Peverley and Lucic were working on their faceoffs, you were out poking puck bunnies at BU.  Good luck in Dallas.  I hope it works out well for you.  It sure as hell didn't work out well for you here.

When Loui scores against Toronto, we'll still chat "Thank you Kessel", because that's about the best thing you left behind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

What a bunch of whiney; pestimist basta ds! I applaude PC for getting rid of a guy who obviously refuses to grow up. Everyone thought that Marchand was the problem child. He obviously got the message! Yes Seguin is 21, but the core leaders on this team are Bergeron- 27, DK-27, Lucic-25, Eriksson-28, Marchand- 25, Campbell-29, Paille- 29. That is just in our forwards. This is a pretty decent set of leaders that I'm more than happy with. Having talent means squat- See 2013 Pens for reference! It takes desire, heart & character & those that'll go beyond that makes champions! LOVE THIS LINEUP for the next 5 yrs! 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Being dealt for star players isn't what I'd describe as being dumped. Morrow was a player that was requested both times he was traded.

would you not rather have drouin.   Last i checked we are ok on the back end.  Obviously a dman be flipped in another deal.  

I dont think its a terrible deal.  But if rask gets 7m we know why seguin was dealt.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, JM, I don't know where you're getting that Eriksson is a 3rd liner or that he's just "another defensive forward".  He's topped 27 goals three times in four seasons as a top 6 forward.  He's not Jere Lehtonen, but I remember the comparisons based on his all-around game.

I didn't want them to trade Seguin.  I love watching young players learn to be great players, and we've been spoiled - Bergeron and Lucic making the jump right out of Jr., Krejci replacing Savard and really being one of the catalysts of the rise of this generation of Bruins, Marchand flipping the switch.  Hamilton will keep getting better and better, and it will be fun to see if Krug can really parlay his playoffs into long-term success.  But Seguin had the potential to be that rare, rare thing: a Bruin draft pick who could win an Art Ross.  Still a g-d unicorn, I guess.

That said...Eriksson is a better all-around player for the Bruins than Tyler Seguin.  Tyler Seguin is a better all-around player for the Dallas Stars than Loui Eriksson (they have nobody at C).  I only really care about that first part - if Seguin goes monkey feces in Dallas and wins a scoring title on a team that goes out in the first round to the Kings, I honestly don't give a rat's just as I don't give a rat's that Kessel has scored 30 or more goals every year with the Laffs.  Whether he would ever have that impact in Boston will be fairy dust and conjecture, so...if Eriksson is a 30 goal, 35 assist winger on the top two lines in Boston, I will move on from Seguin quickly.

Too many thoughts on this, so just to close out the Kessel deal backlash that's inevitable: In 08-09, Phil Kessel had 36goals, 24 assists, for 60 points with the Bruins.  That same year, Eriksson had 36 goals and 27 assists for 63 points in Dallas.  Eriksson's two years older and a better two-way player.  I suspect that in 08-09, you wouldn't have gotten Eriksson for Kessel straight up, let alone Eriksson, the fourth best prospect in the entire league, a first round D prosect in Morrow, a second rounder (Knight) and two solid depth prospects with either size or speed. Well, I guess it's really Kessel, Wheeler and Stuart and an ECHL defenseman, but still.

Oh.  And a Cup.

Are you not entertained?!?!

Sections
Shortcuts