Seguin Hurt or benched?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Re: Seguin Hurt or benched?

If i was CJ i would put him with Bergeron and Marchand...then again it is just me!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Seguin can put the puck in the net and not many Bruins can. He should have been put on a steady line all year and let him develop. Julian is going to ruin the kids confidence. The kid can put the puck into the net period!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin Hurt or benched?:
    In Response to Re: Seguin Hurt or benched? : DeZ, I think time has clouded your memory. Joe Thornton put up goose eggs in the playoffs in first first year. And goose eggs in his last playoffs with Bruins. Joe Thornton never had a good playoffs with the Bruins.
    Posted by Wheatskins

My memory isn't clouded at all.I didn't say Joe had many/any points.I said he had a decent playoffs as I remember him being someone who made contributions(physical if nothing else)when they lost to  Wash in round one.His game had improved night and day by my recollection.I'm hoping Seguin has the same evolution take place.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jodawo11. Show jodawo11's posts

At the very least Seguin should out there on the power play...i mean really, the power play struggles and the same cast of characters are brought out night after night and they continue to fail...it's insane

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueoxen. Show blueoxen's posts

Haven't seen him all year.  He was benched with Kelly!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

No1 else on the team has the ability to make an NHL goaltender look that foolish. Not even close.

Truely impressed with his confidence and poise in the shootout after a slew of healthy scratches. That to me is mental toughness, a desire to win, leadership.

This kid should've been playing all year I dont care what anyone says. He is the weapon this team is missing. I blame CJ and PC for not realizing this. Hopefully they can get him rolling now.

If clicking Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin will be the 2nd scoring line this team needs in the Playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

No1 else on the team has the ability to make an NHL goaltender look that foolish. Not even close. Truely impressed with his confidence and poise in the shootout after a slew of healthy scratches. That to me is mental toughness, a desire to win, leadership. This kid should've been playing all year I dont care what anyone says. He is the weapon this team is missing. I blame CJ and PC for not realizing this. Hopefully they can get him rolling now. If clicking Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin will be the 2nd scoring line this team needs in the Playoffs.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Definetley a waste of his talent. Clod should have left him build chemistry with ONE line for at least 20 games. I would liked to have seen him with Bergeron and Recchi but Marchand got hot so that was never going to happen. Now I'd love to see him with Bergeron and Peverley. That could prove to be what the doctor ordered with a lot of speed and skill. IMO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Scooter and shupe are both on the money. Seguin did try to go to the "dirty" areas last night and in one instance was really clobbered. He bounced back up, but it's apparent that his slight frame, and lack of mature/solid muscle is working against him. That said, he does have the game to add to Bergeron's line, except, as I write this, Paverly is starting to mesh with Bergie, had shots last night, mostly into Mason, but he is starting to recognize what Bergie and marsh are doing. The weakest elements are Ryder, Thornton, and Paille. Seguin's skills are a better option than any one of these, and, as we saw, in the shootout, he has the touch

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

ILIKE&jwb

Love your guys posts but disagree.  He is ready for the NHL and has looked lost on most occasions.  He has not shown the ability to play at the NHL level.  There are spurts shown.  But on a nightly basis he cannot be played on a 1-2 line. He is also attempting to play the wing.  I think for me I likely would have played him as the 3rd line center all year if that were an option.  Problem is we had three centers off and on. 

He has magic hands and I am not denying it.  He just simply isnt mentally and physically ready.  I think he is the cornerstone of this team.  I just don't think he offers much this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

should have read ISNT Ready

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

OK, somebody has to play devil's advocate... There must be a master plan in place to bring the 18 year old along slowly, and it must have been an organizational decision.  Young players tend to run out of gas before the season is over.  Sometimes they loose confidence if they fail too often. They must have come to the conclusion, as a group, that (A) he should develop in the NHL, and (B) his role should be limited to xyz.  Barring any spectacular play on his part, they stick to the plan.  If not, why would they have kept him on the big club this year?  A year of Juniors, with a WJHC would have been great development for him.   I'm not convinced this is all Julien.  The question becomes when does the master plan call for letting the kid loose?  Playoffs?  Next season? 
    Posted by scooter244

I disagree. Another year in the juniors would have been a waste of time, he was already the top talent in league - you do not improve playing at the same level - when you're developing. As far as a master plan, I don't think there is one. I think they have a concept, but what ever it is or was, it's needs to altered so that Seguin is gets more ice time. They need to find out if this kid can deliver in the playoffs, he's the only Bruin that appears to possess game changing talent. Waiting patiently, at this point of the season, is being far too cautious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

n Response to Re: Seguin Hurt or benched?:
    In Response to Re: Seguin Hurt or benched? : I disagree. Another year in the juniors would have been a waste of time, he was already the top talent in league - you do not improve playing at the same level - when you're developing. As far as a master plan, I don't think there is one. I think they have a concept, but what ever it is or was, it's needs to altered so that Seguin is gets more ice time. They need to find out if this kid can deliver in the playoffs, he's the only Bruin that appears to possess game changing talent. Waiting patiently, at this point of the season, is being far too cautious.
    Posted by Shadowcpt

Talented Yes.  Mentally Physically Ready. A BIG NO  there is a huge difference

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Pretty much everything has been said but yesterday in the 3rd he layed on a pretty good body check. I had to look twice to see if it was really Seguin. 
    Edwards also pointed it out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

most of the time Seguin looks like he's intimidated (don't know whether it's of Julien or the other team) and the only way to get over that is more ice time.I don't think he's ready for much more than 10 minutes at this point but I'd like to see him get a couple shifts a game with Peverly and Bergeron and some second power play unit time. He needs some time on ice with players that can match his speed, actually catch a pass and make plays.
                   It looks like they're trying to "develop" Seguin into a grinder instead of a scorer

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Pretty much everything has been said but yesterday in the 3rd he layed on a pretty good body check. I had to look twice to see if it was really Seguin.  Edwards also pointed it out.
    Posted by BsLegion

I didn't see last nights game, but a few games back (Ottawa maybe) I saw Seguin doing those kinds of things.  He will be ok, no question.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

seguin is smooth...especially when no one is near him, shoot out/breakaways. if anyone is within 3 feet of him he gets pushed off the puck or falls down. this is not a knock on him, he is a 19 year old kid who needs to get man-strength. no amount of time on ice will change that fact-this year. i can't wait to see him next season after an nhl off season workout regimen and a year of experience under his belt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

There is nothing wrong with Seguin at this stage of his career.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't buy into the notion that this is somehow making him a better player by occassionally sitting out and/or having reduced ice time

Players get better by playing.

I'm sure this has been discussed at length here, but I don't think they managed Seguin properly at all this year.  You either buy into the notion that he's a great player that needs to get ice time to improve or you decide that he's going to become a great player but he's simply not yet ready at 18.

Anyone that doesn't think playing big minutes back in Junior; leading his team to a Memorial Cup run (if Plymouth wasn't contending, teams tend to trade their star players to contending teams for draft picks so Seguin would be on a challenging team one way or the other), especially since he didn't play particularly well in last year's playoffs, leading his country to a Junior Hockey championship etc wouldn't have been better for him versus playing 7-8 minutes a game and sitting out occassionally is deluding themselves.

If Seguin doesn't factor into this year's run, why waste him on the bench.

I honestly don't understand their plan around Seguin.  I'm not sure what he's ultimately getting paid, given his bonus structure, but was it worth losing 1 year in his RFA status to play 7-8 minutes a game?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

There is nothing wrong with Seguin at this stage of his career. I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't buy into the notion that this is somehow making him a better player by occassionally sitting out and/or having reduced ice time Players get better by playing. I'm sure this has been discussed at length here, but I don't think they managed Seguin properly at all this year.  You either buy into the notion that he's a great player that needs to get ice time to improve or you decide that he's going to become a great player but he's simply not yet ready at 18. Anyone that doesn't think playing big minutes back in Junior; leading his team to a Memorial Cup run (if Plymouth wasn't contending, teams tend to trade their star players to contending teams for draft picks so Seguin would be on a challenging team one way or the other), especially since he didn't play particularly well in last year's playoffs, leading his country to a Junior Hockey championship etc wouldn't have been better for him versus playing 7-8 minutes a game and sitting out occassionally is deluding themselves. If Seguin doesn't factor into this year's run, why waste him on the bench. I honestly don't understand their plan around Seguin.  I'm not sure what he's ultimately getting paid, given his bonus structure, but was it worth losing 1 year in his RFA status to play 7-8 minutes a game?
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Good post

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

Great move from Seguin in the shootout but the Peverly goal was a beauty too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Peverley undressed the Blue Jax defender it sure was a thing of beauty. Mason couldn't have stopped it if he had three tries. Julien made the right decision by putting Seguin on the 3rd line he and Kelly's speed match up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

There is nothing wrong with Seguin at this stage of his career. I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't buy into the notion that this is somehow making him a better player by occassionally sitting out and/or having reduced ice time Players get better by playing. I'm sure this has been discussed at length here, but I don't think they managed Seguin properly at all this year.  You either buy into the notion that he's a great player that needs to get ice time to improve or you decide that he's going to become a great player but he's simply not yet ready at 18. Anyone that doesn't think playing big minutes back in Junior; leading his team to a Memorial Cup run (if Plymouth wasn't contending, teams tend to trade their star players to contending teams for draft picks so Seguin would be on a challenging team one way or the other), especially since he didn't play particularly well in last year's playoffs, leading his country to a Junior Hockey championship etc wouldn't have been better for him versus playing 7-8 minutes a game and sitting out occassionally is deluding themselves. If Seguin doesn't factor into this year's run, why waste him on the bench. I honestly don't understand their plan around Seguin.  I'm not sure what he's ultimately getting paid, given his bonus structure, but was it worth losing 1 year in his RFA status to play 7-8 minutes a game?
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

I think it's worth it if Seguin can contribute in the post season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I tell you I love Seguin in shootouts.  If for no other reason he should be in the lineup for that, as that wold translate into points in the standings.

Second, I recall about twice the kid was fed the puck on the fly, once was against the Rangers (he scored on a bullet) and I forget who it was the other time. 

Why aren't they looking to set him up like that?

the kid has HUGE speed, I would say easily the fastest Bruin, why don't they try to use him for that?

I see why Shupe says he is not NHL ready, I disagree, but I see why you are saying it because they are not using him like they should.

"Earning" minutes?  "Deserving" minutes?
    That is a joke.  an outright joke.
    Thornton?  Ryder?  Those 2 and particularly Ryder have mailed in their efforts many a time.  Ryder has coasted through more games than he hasn't.
    "Earning" minutes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bad,

I agree, we have a lot of guys not deserving minutes and I am actually open to the idea of getting him more ice down the stretch.  A lot of these games are playoff like in nature and a good measuring stick.  I said this a few weeks back, they should try him with Marchand and Bergie.  Bergie is very responsible and can allow for Marchand and Seguin to make a few mistakes without it costing us. 

I don't believe he has earned his spot- but I am willing to let him be an excited 19 year player with energy for the stretch run as long as its with Bergie.  Worst case scenary he makes a bad play.  Big deal. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

This post makes me laugh.

Seguin is undoubtedly ready for the NHL, he has 10 G 21Pts with limited ice time and playing with Thorn was the only thing to shut him down.  His problem was playing peripheral earlier in the year, he has not been doing that for some time now.
    ADK   "no amount of time on ice will change that fact-this year. i can't wait to see him next season after an nhl off season workout regimen and a year of experience under his belt."

ADK- it makes no sense, no amount of ice time is going to help him, but then he will have a year of experience, can't have one without the other.

Seguin makes the team a better talented team, he throws a hit and then sits the rest of the game. Thornton goes another game without throwing a hit, takes a stupid penalty and plays 2shifts more than Seg.

Seg needs to play a regular shift, now and in the playoffs for him to help the team.  He is going to be no help on the 4th line, on the bench or in the pressbox.

Funny stat, the B's were 0/1 on the PP, why they couldn't score in that 5 seconds is beyond me. They shut down CBJ on their 5PPs and 5 sec PP, while scoring a SHG.

Seg needs to be playing!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

They seem hesitant to take off the training wheels and with good reason. As Shupe points out, he is still a kid in a man's world out there. Clearly it speaks to the system that is in place; wherein defensive downside heavily outweighs offensive upside.

We also know that Claude doesn't trust youngsters per se, and they pay for it with time (read Marchand's bad penalty). But the rub is that guys like Thornton (or to a lesser extent Campbell) always get their shifts no matter how little they may contribute to the overall success of the team that night, simply because they are  "veterans". Apparently what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

I'd like to see Seguin on the power play too, but it just doesn't look like it'll happen this year, so I won't even worry much about it...but the fact is, their power play may well keep them from a deep run this year, so why not see if the kid can open up some space and use his god-given talents. I'd like to hear Claude's reasoning on that subject.

On the plus side...maybe CJ is "getting it". If he doesn't bench Ryder last night, Seguin never gets a chance in the SO. It'll be interesting to see who sits in Nashville.

Sections
Shortcuts