Seguin In?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NotPickinPeyton. Show NotPickinPeyton's posts

Re: Seguin In?

MXT...
    Seems to me that Whitfield offered quite a bit last year.....

In reading this thread he apparently is the #1 EXCUSE people use for the abject failure of this team to move on.   One might want to remember some of the injuries sufferred either just before or earlier in the playoffs last year and wonder would anyone think Whitfield alone could eliminate the adverse effects of such catastrophic injuries?  HMMM...  I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news here.. FOLKS.... but if the team failed as miserably as it did last year based solely on Whitfield being there, then maybeit actually did better than it should have in the first place.

Lucky for us all the additions this year appear to have made a significant change in the personality of this team.  If that continues to be reality, why can't this team take the injury to Bergey and continue to do well?
    Wonder what this team would have done with Savard centering the Power Play?  Wonder what this team would do if Kaberle was half the offensive stud we thought we were getting? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Whitfield has played:
    193 regular season NHL games
    18 playoff NHL games

Agree that he has played the majority of his professional career in the AHL.  That said, he is good on draws and the PK, two areas that Bergeron's absence will be felt.  He came back this year from a pretty devastating injury and produced 18-18-36 in only 45 games.

I still don't think he is an unreasonable substitute in the right role.  Not against Seguin at all, I really like the idea of him getting some playoff experience, just want him to be put into a spot where he can be successful.  Centering Paille and Thornton does not play to Seguin's strengths.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

If I offend with using Whit as a dimwit theory, read my gazillion posts where Whit is ever mentioned playing in playoffs last year or this year. It was then and still is now a dimwit proposal that clod clung to, I screamed for March then, before all the love hate for him began this year. I know March has his stupid penalty moments but he draws as many as he takes, he is a winner and plays to win, Whit is a career AHL'er and should stay there, he may not have got a true shot in his youth here, but he is no longer in his youth. He is not a career 4th liner, he is a career AHL'er.

He is a non threat checker decent on faceoffs, but a non threat, hard working non threat, physical non threat. To put this non threat out with Thorn could be detrimental, he is not as good nor as smart as Camp and would cost us.

To put Seg on 4th, would not work either, clod does not get to decide all the matchups and the onetime he rolls 4, he will get caught or the first time an icing hits with them on the ice, no good will come of it.  The problem with Seg with March is Rec is the best faceoff guy of the 3.  Seg with Kelly and Ryder are sound defensively and would allow Kelly to take most draws.

Best 'TEAM' scenario is Pev with March and Seg with Kelly.

Whit playing for any Bruins team that is not Prov is a dimwit idea, I am still awaiting anyone that can come up with a proposal that would come anywhere near refuting that putting Whit with Thorn would be a dimwit idea.
    This maddens me to no end, SanDog and maybe a few others get this.

Pray for Nash to make it to 7 against Van and this may become moot anyhow.

Happy Mother's Day (all ye Father's too)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

When did Ryder become respected defensively?  This is the same guy that was a -1 on a team that had the 2nd best goal differential in the NHL, surrounded by guys with double-digits in the plus column.  Kelly is strong defensively, as is Campbell, which is why I like them together.  A Seguin-Kelly-Ryder line would be very weak defensively in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He offered quite a bit last year? Huh? I must have been watching someone else. He's a career minor leaguer, and a minus player even at that level. He doesn't belong in the NHL, now or ever. I'd rather go with a young player has more skill level in his left toe. As successful as we have been in the first two rounds, it can't hurt to have someone with some real speed and skating ability. We have an entire roster that plays well defensively, and a Vezina goalie as well.  Why not make Tampa at least respect the few great skaters we have. Say what you want about someone like Kessel (and I bust his balls every chance I get), a potential gamebreaker is a good weapon to utilize. And Whitfield ain't that.

n Response to Re: Seguin In?:
    [QUOTE]MXT... Seems to me that Whitfield offered quite a bit last year..... In reading this thread he apparently is the #1 EXCUSE people use for the abject failure of this team to move on.   One might want to remember some of the injuries sufferred either just before or earlier in the playoffs last year and wonder would anyone think Whitfield alone could eliminate the adverse effects of such catastrophic injuries?  HMMM...  I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news here.. FOLKS.... but if the team failed as miserably as it did last year based solely on Whitfield being there, then maybeit actually did better than it should have in the first place. Lucky for us all the additions this year appear to have made a significant change in the personality of this team.  If that continues to be reality, why can't this team take the injury to Bergey and continue to do well? Wonder what this team would have done with Savard centering the Power Play?  Wonder what this team would do if Kaberle was half the offensive stud we thought we were getting? 
    Posted by NotPickinPeyton[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin In?:
    [QUOTE]When did Ryder become respected defensively?  This is the same guy that was a -1 on a team that had the 2nd best goal differential in the NHL, surrounded by guys with double-digits in the plus column.  Kelly is strong defensively, as is Campbell, which is why I like them together.  A Seguin-Kelly-Ryder line would be very weak defensively in my opinion.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Regular season I agree, however post season, Ryder has been a two way player, and in fact has made some great backchecks. I'd like to see Seguin with Marchand and Rex.....but doubt Claude will give him a shot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin In? : Regular season I agree, however post season, Ryder has been a two way player, and in fact has made some great backchecks. I'd like to see Seguin with Marchand and Rex.....but doubt Claude will give him a shot.
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]

Ryder , IMO, has been largely unnoticeable since Game 5 of the Montreal series.  This was following his 2 goal performane in game 4.  At that point I thought he might play to his full potential throughout the playoffs.  Instead he has gone back to being largely unnoticeable.  It's not that bad of a thing, as I do not notice him making mistakes or loafing, I just don't see him having the impact he's capable of.  For this reason I move Marchand into his spot in order to improve that line's play while continuing to maximize Marchand's energy.  I then move Campbell between Recchi and Ryder.  I noticed earlier in the year Recchi and Ryder played a couple good games together.  With Ryder shooting and Recchi crashing it's a complimentary skill set.

So my lines:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Kelly-Peverley-Marchand
    Ryder-Campbell-Recchi
    Paille-Seguin-Thronton

I would probably not play the 4th line except for a shift or maybe two.  I would try to make use of Paille and Seguin in situational play regularly.  I know this isn't going to happen and that Seguin is likely destined for the wing and Kelly likely to center.  I just believe that without question these are our two most potent scoring lines in the absence of Bergeron and that we can maintain a very solid 3rd checking line with the ability to make a threat in the offensive zone every once in a while.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin In? : Regular season I agree, however post season, Ryder has been a two way player, and in fact has made some great backchecks. I'd like to see Seguin with Marchand and Rex.....but doubt Claude will give him a shot.
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]

That's a ton to ask from a 19 year-old kid that hasn't played an NHL game since April 20th, but I would love to see how he responds.  If CJ was to give him a shot, he would definitely be on a very short leash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The B's did not move on because they lost, they were deflated, the goalie became subpar and they were really not that good. That is why Pc went out chasing down players such as Hort, Camp, Pev and Kelly.

The team this year would sweep last years team with their additions playing the subtractions. 

Adding Whitfields 11 career goals in 193 games and 0 points in 18 career games would just be so much better than playing Seg.

It doesn't matter if Seg is 18, 19 or 43, what matters is his talent and he has that in abundance. It doesn't matter that he is a rookie, Camp, Hort, and March are all rookies.
    Kaber is 7 years since playing, Thorn has 40 gms with B's and has 1G and  an emptynet assist and is -8, Pev had a whole 6 games in 2008, Boyc is in his 2nd playoffs, as is McQ.

So to not play Seg this year would mean he would have to be sat next year as well, a 20 year old with no playoff experience, how could you even think to put that much pressure on a kid.

Put the kid in.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

GOAT- not looking for points from my 4th-line center.  Campbell is 1-2-3 in 11gp, and I want to see him get more icetime.

Whitfield will be very good on draws and help the PK, Seguin will not help with in either of those areas. 

Not opposed to sitting Thornton either, a 4th-line of Paille-Whitfield-Seguin would look like an upgrade to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]As posted on another thread, IMO putting Campbell with Marchand and Recchi could be the best move because it leaves lines 1 and 3 alone. Then concentrate on the 4th line. It would be too much to expect Seguin to carry the 4th line duties, and to be a strong defensive contributor; so, let's drop Kelly to 4th line and add Seguin with Peverly and Ryder. Still leaves a major hole in Thornton. Wondeful guy, true blue Bruin, but he doea not skate well, control the puck well, or really help the team. Replacing Thornton with Caron should be a no-brainer. Much better skills in all aspects, particularly defensively. It's time to use these skilled "kids" much as Claude doesn't like it. Certainly trying it in game one is reasonable, although it does give Claude a "don't blame me" excuse.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE] Now is not the time to replace Thornton with Caron in my opinion .Thornton doesn't have much skill but at least he does try hard.I don't like the idea of moving Kelly to the 4th line particularly when he is contributing offensively.Now isn't Seguin's time to shine ,he isn't ready.Ideally he wouldn't be playing but you want to put him in a position where he can do the least damage.It's not an easy decision and I am glad I don't have to make it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

This is the point in which I was hoping this roster would never have to come to......and that is having to replace an injured player with another depth player. Why? Because the Bruins lack quality depth to fill in. Seguin will have to do, but he is not what I would like to see. Anyone for that matter. When you have a player in the mix with Seguin, such as whitfield, that just doesnt send comfort about the depth. I guess the only thing Seguin has going for him is the fact that he did play much of the regular season with the B's. Good luck to him, because he is going to need it, but everyone needs to prepare for the lack of ice time he is about to get....He may start on a regular shift, but depending on how the game is going, it will decline. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Crowl
    Camp had an empty net assist, 7th goal in a 7-3 win with 2 mins left from Pail and Krej with a totally deflated fillie team. He is a solid center and needs to stay where he is the 4th, unless Krej, Pev, Kell  go down. He is better served with Pail and Thorn.  He is not going to hurt the other lines defensively, but his time served with Thorn, requires he stay there as long as Thorn is there.

Slight changes are required when someone goes down but Ryd and Kell should stay together or Pev and Ryd, March and Rec should also stay together. Camp is stuck with Thorn.

I would replace Thorn with any of, Arniel, Sauve, Caron or evenSpooner and Knight all with more talent than Thorn.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

Seguin wil be hungry and want to show he belongs. No one on this Bruins can fill Bergies skates but Seguin can help fill a void and maybe be fired up enough to do something. This team is set to do something good and all players are on board. If Bergie can't come back the Bruins should win it for him and Savy but we can beat a 1-3-1 system anytime. GO BRUINS !!!!!!!!!!!!.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin wil be hungry and want to show he belongs. No one on this Bruins can fill Bergies skates but Seguin can help fill a void and maybe be fired up enough to do something. This team is set to do something good and all players are on board. If Bergie can't come back the Bruins should win it for him and Savy but we can beat a 1-3-1 system anytime. GO BRUINS !!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Posted by brunod[/QUOTE]

The Bruins are showing a composure not seen in last year's club.  That element has been repeatedly tested so far and the B's have lost their grip on it.  I like to think losing Bergeron for an indefinite period will not be this year's version of losing Krejci last year and have the team collapse as a consequence.  They seem to have a different attitude and with what 9 players not on the 2010 roster, they're a different team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]The Bs can and will win without Bergy gone for the whole series and Seguin playing (if this is the worst case scenario). NO excuses, please.  Then, we should just wear out Lightning jerseys and join Matthew barnaby in writing the Bs off.  Ludicrous. CJ's mold is built on a "team ethic."  Here is where it comes to advantage.   The Bruins are NOT the Capitals.  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    agreed! Hockey is a team game....and right now the Bs are playing as a cohesive unit . They will beat Tampa bay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin In? : agreed! Hockey is a team game....and right now the Bs are playing as a cohesive unit . They will beat Tampa bay.
    Posted by Beezfan4life[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Beezfan - The Bruins are the sum of all their parts.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]Peverley is the best one suited here to take Bergy's spot, although one can't expect him to do the things Bergy does.... in Atlanta, Peverley showed some offensive upside and i'm sure he's learned a thing or two on the defensive side since his arrival to do the job.... i wouldn't be surprised to see Seguin start off on the fourth line with Campbell moving up to center the third to begin the next series....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

Good call D-of-Orr !  That's exactly what Claude will do!

Seguin is just too green to take on the minutes that a second line center would have to be counted on.  I'll go one up on you and say that Seguin may not even play at center.

Krejci ; Peverley ; Kelly ; Campbell  will most likely be the Centers starting against  the Lightening. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin In? : Agreed, Beezfan - The Bruins are the sum of all their parts.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

I think that's exactly what the Penguins were saying when they had to play without Crosby !

Bergy is our top points leader so far ! He'll be missed . The chemistry of the lines will undoubtedly be affected and people on this board will be wondering where the Bruins that played agaisnt the Flyers have gone !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Campbell to the 3rd and Seguin to the 4th makes the most sense to me. Kelly Pev and Ryder have been playing well together.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from actionjaxson. Show actionjaxson's posts

He will not get a second chance ...if Julien sees this kid coasting at all, I have a feeling that Caron will be moved into to fill the void ..I hope Seguin gives it his all, gets his nose dirty and is able to produce offensively and pay strong attention to who he is responsible for covering out there so we don't get burnt ..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin's got some HUGE skates to fill... too much to ask from a 19-year old.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Actually, Kelly has some huge shoes to fill, and I feel pretty confident he'll do a good job filling in for the time being.  I think Seguin will be okay filling in on that third line with Pverley, but a key for this line will be Ryder's play.  With a rookie coming in to his first playoff game it's going to be VERY important for both Peverley and Ryder to bring their A games in BOTH ends of the ice.  I'd almost rather see Peverley center the second line and let Kelly play on the line with Seguin and Ryder just to have a little bit more defensive accountability.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin In? : Actually, Kelly has some huge shoes to fill, and I feel pretty confident he'll do a good job filling in for the time being.  I think Seguin will be okay filling in on that third line with Pverley, but a key for this line will be Ryder's play.  With a rookie coming in to his first playoff game it's going to be VERY important for both Peverley and Ryder to bring their A games in BOTH ends of the ice.  I'd almost rather see Peverley center the second line and let Kelly play on the line with Seguin and Ryder just to have a little bit more defensive accountability.
    Posted by mb30[/QUOTE] Peverly is a better player than Kelly despite Kelly's goals thus far.I don't like a line of Kelly,Seguin and Ryder .You never really know what Ryder is going to bring to the table ,he might work hard or he might dog it .