Seguin is a Forward

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Seguin is a Forward

Thaat you're right and that was what I posted as soon as they drafted him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I think Seguin as a wing is working out good short term. But he is a natural Centre. I think he should only play on the wing up till the end of next season tops. By year 3 he should definately be a #1/#2 centreman on this team

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Once Tyler satisfies the Bruins brass the he can battle NHL centers along the boards, behind the net and backchecking in the defensive zone Seguin should stay at center as he is ah natural at that position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I was at the game tonight, and I can tell you that Seguin was the most active and dangerous forward. The only Bruin who played above 2nd gear.

He was constantly in positions to breakout, but the passes were never made, made too late or never made it to him.

He was out with Horton on a 4 0n 4, when Savard was penalized, and that was an enticing prospective but they could never get puck possession.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin is a Forward:
    [QUOTE]I think Seguin as a wing is working out good short term. But he is a natural Centre. I think he should only play on the wing up till the end of next season tops. By year 3 he should definately be a #1/#2 centreman on this team
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]
    I just don't see it as a necessity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

He definitely is picking up the defensive aspect of the center position much quicker than I thought.  He has shown marked improvement since they sat him out.  The offense will come if he is strong positionally.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I always thought how the current B's management handles players is similar to how I handle writers. A lot of young writers come up and try to break the boundaries of traditional grammar right away. Some experienced writers can do this superbly, and I give the free rein, but they are only successful because they already know the basics. So I reel in my young writers, make them prove to me that they know all aspects of our profession, and only then do I let go of the leash.

This, to me, is how the Bruins treat prospects like Seguin. Speaking from personal experience this method tends to have long term benefits, regardless of the profession.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought how the current B's management handles players is similar to how I handle writers. A lot of young writers come up and try to break the boundaries of traditional grammar right away. Some experienced writers can do this superbly, and I give the free rein, but they are only successful because they already know the basics. So I reel in my young writers, make them prove to me that they know all aspects of our profession, and only then do I let go of the leash. This, to me, is how the Bruins treat prospects like Seguin. Speaking from personal experience this method tends to have long term benefits, regardless of the profession.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Seguin looks more comfortable and dangerous with each game.Exactly what I was expecting at this point in a young career.I could see him becoming a go-to-guy come the post-season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Seguin is a Forward:
    [QUOTE]It sure looked to me like Seguin was still very dangerous against the Leafs tonight and it didn't matter whether he played center or wing.Some of the fan base feels his development is being stunted due to being forced to play wing sometimes.I'm saying he's an immense talent that can do good things from anywhere at the forward position.Any thoughts?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Has it hampered the past play of Malkin when he has been shifted over to wing to play with Crosby or Staal ? Did Mario's play suffer when he was shifted to the wing ? Those are two of the most gifted centerman the game has known that have done it. ( And for those who will say that I'm comparing them to Seguin . It's called an example of centers who can still thrive on the offence while playing the wing instead )  

Seguin in junior, was creating his offence by attacking the defence from all different angles , off the right side, left side etc...( reminder : he also played at the wing position ). When on offence do the Bruins wingers strictly stick to their own side of the ice ? If you say yes you aren't watching . Playing wing doesn't restrict Seguin's offensive abilities it lessens the defensive responsibilities for someone who is still learning that aspect of the NHL game. 

He will play center in the NHL. Some people are too impatient to realize that his defensive awareness as a center isn't as good yet as the people playing that position in front of him.

It is a 200' game just in case people have forgotten . A team doesn't have control of the puck for the whole 60 minutes. He has shown improvement on the defensive side since the start of the season but until it gets to where it should be, he will and should be at wing.

P.S. In Seguin's 2 point game against Buffalo. His assist came off a rush off the left wing and his goal came from being parked in the slot. Sounds a lot like two areas where a winger usually is found.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

He seems like a Patrick Kane type, can float from wing to wing. Just get him the puck and try and keep up, I'm looking your way Recchi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

alot of nhl wingers are natural centers. growing up they dominate everywhere they play and are by far the most talented players on their team. once they get to the nhl, where everybody's talented, not all of them can play center. he can have a great career playing wing and doesn't have to be a center to help this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Seguin is a Forward:
    [QUOTE]It sure looked to me like Seguin was still very dangerous against the Leafs tonight and it didn't matter whether he played center or wing.Some of the fan base feels his development is being stunted due to being forced to play wing sometimes.I'm saying he's an immense talent that can do good things from anywhere at the forward position.Any thoughts?

Totally agree.  I see no harm at all in keeping Seguin on the wing for his first season.  Less defensive responsibility is a plus.  I also see no urgency to move a center just because there is an abundance of depth up the middle -- I believe that has been the plan all along.  Maybe this summer or next year you deal a centermen from a position of strength.

Further, when have Bergeron, Savard, and Krejci all remained healthy for an entire season?  Depth at center is good, and there is no harm in keeping Seguin on the wing for now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

seguin is an nhl winger... no doubt.  he rarely wins one on one battles(i know he's young) and his speed is something the b's REALLY need- let him fly up ice and cause trouble for d's(less d responsibility), between he and marchand  thats where the b's need to take advantage of their speed...don't handcuff this kid at center

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Agree with most folks of why try to rush him into the responsibility a centerman takes on at the top level....let him get comfortable with the speed & toughness before placing gim in the middle.

Would love to see Lucic-Seguin-Horton as a line in the next few seasons.....albeit all are under contract etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

As long as we have the other 4 centers healthy, he'll be a wing for now. No worries there.
    Yes, he's a natural center, and his time will come.

I'm just happy to watch his progression (which is definitely accelerating) and am doubly happy the coaching staff is loosening the lugnuts on his training wheels.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Let's play him on defense and see what happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i've seen on other boards that we need speed on the wing. well, there's your speed on the wing. he'll be an offensive threat for years as a bruin on the wing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Cindy-Ovie..
    3 years from now we all hope seguin is number 1-2 on this team.. but he is garaunteed, and he certainly isnt yet.. let things happen.. Kessel wanted to be a center too, never would have worked out..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I agree, he should have been fighting for that puck along the boards the other night rather than firing that shot over the goalies shoulder...that's where his skill set is. Great point ! Plus, we've already got Greg Campbell who's more of a playmaker/scorer than a grinder, it all makes perfect sense now -

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, he should have been fighting for that puck along the boards the other night rather than firing that shot over the goalies shoulder...that's where his skill set is. Great point ! Plus, we've already got Greg Campbell who's more of a playmaker/scorer than a grinder, it all makes perfect sense now -
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    Is there a point you're trying to make?Did Seguin not look good on the Bergeron line?Would you rather he continue centreing Thornton and Paille?Spit it out man!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin is a Forward : Is there a point you're trying to make?Did Seguin not look good on the Bergeron line?Would you rather he continue centreing Thornton and Paille?Spit it out man!

I would. The guy is a center. He is most effective playing that position. 

Marchand has been effective playing alongside Bergeron thus far. Seguin has had only one good game on that line. He has been more effective when he has centered it doesn't matter which line vs playing on the wing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin is a Forward : I would. The guy is a center. He is most effective playing that position.  Marchand has been effective playing alongside Bergeron thus far. Seguin has had only one good game on that line. He has been more effective when he has centered it doesn't matter which line vs playing on the wing
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    It's all about his confidence level in regards to his success.Not just coincidence  he had his best game as a winger right after he got himself on a bit of a roll the game before.He's talented enough to play at any forward position so I'd rather see him on a line where he'll get a more consistent opportunity to score.The 4th line isn't it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

He's been playing better on the wing.  The Bruins need speed on the wing.  Keep him on the wing.

And, yaz and wensink, there are plenty of good NHL centers that started out on the wing to crack the lineup.  It is a very routine path the making the NHL.  I can't understand why people think some time on the wing will screw up Seguin's game.  Half the forwards in the NHL played center growing up and have had to learn the wing.  It won't hurt the kid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I'm not saying that playing the wing is bad for him right now, but sooner or later he will be a centre. Thats his natural position. I just can't see him having a 16 year NHL career on the wing and being dominant 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Patience... he is still ..not only young but new to the NHL ..We have all observed flashes of his talent from time to time and any and all experience he gains from wing or center will be valuable in his progression as an elite NHL-er. It will take time.

Sections
Shortcuts