Seguin isn't a cap move

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Re: Seguin isn't a cap move

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:

A lot of threads about Seguin, and I haven't read them all.  A lot of what I have read though, I'm not sure I agree with.

Despite a desperate need for Bruin Country to beat their chest re the Kessel deal, this part didn't deliver.  To date, Seguin's been Samsonov Lite, and 6 years of big bucks is downright scary.  Can Tyler do a Rick Middleton ?  Possibly, but obviously, the Bruins don't think so.  I agree with them.

I don't think there's a chance in Hell, this deal was put together because the B's are against the cap.  The trigger was pulled because Tyler Seguin is gonna be paid like a franchise player, and the Bruin brass doesn't think he'll deliver.  Plain and simple.  If they thought differently, they wouldn't make the deal.

It's also fairly obvious PC and the whole management group(that's what's involved in player transactions of this magnitude) figured they were stuck with Seguin before they made public statements about his maturity.  Those never help the marketability, and PC's smart enough to realize that.  This deal probably sarted to come together after that, and obviously, the company is thrilled.

Maybe now we can stop worrying about the Kessel thing, and go win another cup.

I believe in the hockey IQ of this group, and I share their opinion that Seguin is not a player that you build your future on.

If he was, that new found cap space wouldn't be an issue.

Don't know much about the players we're getting, but the reviews from some of uour best posters is  encouraging.

Now if we can just get Clarkson.................

Excellent post, steve.  It would seem Seguin didn't help his cause by performing in a manner that prompted mangement to project/gamble on him not developing his desire to compete more intensely commensurate to his skills and salary status. 

If you were the GM and critically assessed his 3 years in the league, both on and off ice, would you also have made the same move or would you have held out hope for a resurgence?  Anyone else please feel free to weigh in.

Good post

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Steve, good post but i dont buy for a minute that this didnt have something to do with rasks pending deal.   Im fine with the trade bc we did get a good player in return but for me the big aspect is the cap hit.  

we are not a better team at the moment.  We lost one player off the top 2 lines and 2/3 of our 3rd line....and we lost AF.   we have a goalie that is gonna get over a 50% percent raise.  Thats why this deal was done.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good thoughts shupe. Those looking for Bergeron's back-up should not forget Soderberg, who filled after bergie was hurt, and did fairly well for not having skated with his wings before the moment. Chiarelli continues to build well, and now has some free agent bucks as well. Morrow joins an elite younger defensive group which is vital as seids and Chara both are slowing down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think that although technically not a 'cap move', long term fiancial reasons did come partly into play. They were paying TS a lot and he was never going to even play his natural position as long as Bergeron and Krejci are around. They also weren't going to pay him 5.75 mil to be a 3rd line center, when they could get a top 3, left hand shot, natural winger to play on the right side for 1.5 million less...who comes with no baggage.

I'm still of the notion that the B's did give up on a kid who has a rare set of skills, who did progresss in most aspects of his game year to year. It was clear he never had the trust of CJ or management. Obviously they had the goods on Seguin (theres a couple hundred less college girls in Boston who will be sleeping with an NHL player this year), so I trust they made the right move. But I think this will sting Seguin and he will eventually take responsibility for himself and has a great career.

I guess the real wildcard in this equation is whether Morrow (or less likely Smith or Fraser) ever develop into anything.

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Steve, good post but i dont buy for a minute that this didnt have something to do with rasks pending deal.   Im fine with the trade bc we did get a good player in return but for me the big aspect is the cap hit.  

we are not a better team at the moment.  We lost one player off the top 2 lines and 2/3 of our 3rd line....and we lost AF.   we have a goalie that is gonna get over a 50% percent raise.  Thats why this deal was done.  

shupe, whatever your Rask damage is, it's clouding your judgment.  Rask's deal was in many senses a fait accompli as soon as they made the finals.  I mean, he signs a very friendly deal last year in order to prove himself with the understanding he'll get paid this year if he performs.  Well, he performed.  Third in Save%, fifth in GAA, and backstopped the team top the Finals including an epic performance vs. Pitt.  His career numbers after four years: .930s% and 2.14GAA.  He's in the last year as an RFA.  For every year beyond this one, this deal is buying UFA years.  In Rask's prime.  How much do you think he should get given the market?

Cap factored into Seguin's departure, but not "because of Rask" any more than "because of Lucic at $6M or because Bergeron's going to get $7M starting next year or because of Chara's $7M or because of Krejci or Marchand..."  Rask's deal is what they need to pay to keep the only proven goalie they have - who may also be one of the best of his generation.

Sections
Shortcuts