Seguin learning curve

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Seguin learning curve

Seguin seems to be playing better positional play yet the result is a weakened offensive output.  To this fan it seems he has not learned how to infuse his offensive skills into that postional play.  He has hit another learning falt line in other words.  A theroy worthy criticism, no?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Seguin learning curve

Part of growing into the NHL, he just turned 20, i'd rather this than 27 goals and minus 19

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Struggling right now... but so is the rest of the team (lucic walked right in tonight and came away with nothing late in the third.) It happens!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Seguin, like most of the rest of the team, seems to be trying to make maple syrup by squeezing it out of their sticks.  Someone needs to tell them they aren't made of wood anymore.

When the MBS line was the only one producing, I was opposed to moving Seguin off of it.  Now that noone is producing, perhaps it is time to shuffle the deck a little.  Keep the dynamic duo (Bergeron and Marchand) together, and have Seguin with Lucic and Krejčí.  This could be as center or wing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

If you haven't scored in 12+ games throw a body check or two, let's face it he doesn't exactly play Bruins Hockey. If he threw a check or two it may get him engaged a little more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

Watching the game tonight from a good corner balcony view, I thought Seguin had a very rough game in offensive end.  Defensively he was great, but on offense Ottawa really seemed to foucus on not letting Bergeron carry the puck into the offensive zone.

Seguin repeatedly got the puck with plenty of open space, and from my view there were plays to be made and he just didn't make them.  He seemed very hesitant with the puck, and would often either slow down to wait for his linemates, or move to the outside, in both cases letting the defense get back into position.  Right now he's reacting to the defense, and not making the defense react to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I thought too much perimeter shooting from Seguin tonight.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Badhab, I thought so too, Seguin's shots were targeted but not in front of the net.  I was wondering when I started the thread if someone could in fact see what I think I am seeing on the screen, Seguin is postionally sound. If so I think he is on the perimeter in the offensive zone as a result, not going to the net in speculation of covering for defensemen etc. DrCC is correct in thinking the lines need more adjustment with Rolston aboard.  Seguin on the first line with Lucic would be nice for a change. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good topic, and I'm sure Seguin would agree. The problem is to get Claude to change things up. Seguin on Kreji's wing; Caron on Bergeron's wing where he can use his size and learn. Two years ago this was effective. Kelly back on 3rd line center with Rolston on right wing and Paille on left wing; then Campbell with Thornton and Pouliot. Last night Thornton and Pouliot were on the ice with lots of energy, especially in the 3rd period. That's what they both bring, energy. Don't want Thorny to start to think that he is a goal scorer, in spite of his highlite, because, last nite, instead of a deke and pass to an open Marchand, Thorny slid the puck which Lehner easily put out to the side. Claude is sold on Pouliot for whatever reasons like big, fast, and energy. Just don't plan on goals or crisp passing Claude.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Path of least resistance won't work in the NHL. Enough god given skill to get by, But we already had a guy like that- he's gone now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin learning curve:
    I thought too much perimeter shooting from Seguin tonight.
    Posted by BadHabitude

The entire offensive strategy seems to be built around that right now.  Get some speed on the wing, skate half-way into the offensive zone, and shoot the puck from along the boards.

The only times I remember anyone scoring on shots like that, it was followed by screams about how much Thomas sucks.  I just don't understand what they are thinking out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

It seems to me that Seguin is afraid of getting hit.  I call it the Wheeler Syndrome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I haven't seen fear in his game this year.  I think defenses are preparing for his speed and for that line, and he hasn't adjusted.  Several opportunities where, in the past, I've seen him gain the edge and cut to the net were shut down by D taking a different angle.  He needs to make the strength move now - not bull through, but stop on a dime, curl back etc.

Last night, that line had some great chances, one I still don't see how Bergeron didn't pot and a couple of others where they passed for a sure goal rather than shoot for a likely one.  Basically, they were shooting when they should have passed and vice versa.  Cycling was good for stretches but when it came time to make the key play, pass or shot, they did so poorly.  Seguin was the key culprit on that line - missed nets, missed passes, lost the puck in his feet etc.  He's pressing.  They all are, but he's the biggest culprit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The start to this is part of the concern. Who else, on this Bruins team, can backcheck as well as Seguin has demonstrated in recent games. i know Bergie does very well in backchecking, but Seguin accelerates to catch a guy and clearly takes him out of the play by lifting the stick. Also, as Book mentioned, other teams are keying on Bergeron's line, and cutting them off with different checking angles. Marchand is encountering the same focus. Now is where Claude has to change things up. Playing Rolston at centre is not a good move, when Kreji is panting to take over, and Kelly is better as the 3rd line center. Maybe Sauve with kreji, no sense in having a speedy sniper sitting as a spare. He needs game action. Or Rolston, so he can use his cannon to bury a Looch or Kreji feed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Agreed, (op) Isla and BB. He did struggle in the offensive zone and in the 3rd man high role. Defensively he is light years ahead of where he was last year. I think people who state he isn't physicaly engaged aren't really watching him closely. Appears that  he's working hard in the trenches. The perimeter stuff can drive you crazy though.

Will say it again though, I think Marchand shoud be the one to (temporarily) move off that line, not Seguin. I think 19 and Bergeron are getting some good chemistry, but that Marchand and Seguin are too into "highlight mode" in some of their game together.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Seobrien, I can see what you are saying but for different reasons.  Seguin and Marchand were making some nifty passes back in December even January.  But as the teams gear up for the playoffs those sweet passes diminish.  Marchand is not timid about going to the net, Seguin is in the transition period.  They are similar players otherwise, speedy and crafty not phsical forces.  Lucic and either one of them would be a nice tandem.  Me thinks CJ will stay the course as he usually does.  I like what bogie said about Rolston on the first line and Kelly back on the third line.  

Sections
Shortcuts