Seguin looking really good against Calgary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Re: Seguin looking really good against Calgary

In Response to Re: Seguin looking really good against Calgary:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin looking really good against Calgary : Using Kelly in those situations is a good way to protect the young player. It is sign of good coaching to put your 19 year old in a situation to succeed rather than fail when possible.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Which makes his lack of power play time even more baffling. Positional board play with the puck (angling your body to shield the puck and cycle) is extremely important, if you unfortunately get stuck along the boards with the puck. Moving the puck before you get to that point is preferable, and what I expect Tyler would do with the extra space on the PP, making his still-weak board play less of a concern. Of course, not playing him on the PP eliminates the concern completely so maybe that's the idea.

Take THAT, dead horse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin looking really good against Calgary : Which makes his lack of power play time even more baffling. Positional board play with the puck (angling your body to shield the puck and cycle) is extremely important, if you unfortunately get stuck along the boards with the puck. Moving the puck before you get to that point is preferable, and what I expect Tyler would do with the extra space on the PP, making his still-weak board play less of a concern. Of course, not playing him on the PP eliminates the concern completely so maybe that's the idea. Take THAT, dead horse.  
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady[/QUOTE]

I am not sure why he is not on the PP either....even though Campbell is sometimes. Odd choice. One would think Seguin's cannon of a shot and weak defensive play are perfect attributes to give the rookie some time with the man advantage. Considering the state of the PP recently one would think Juline would try all possibilities, not just Recchi on the point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Campbell on the PP is punishment for the regular PP guys - as in, you're sucking so bad right now I might as well put Campbell out there.  I know he'll appreciate it and make the most of it.  Seguin on the PP is more "oh look, the kid is getting PP time even though he hasn't earned it."

Bogie - I'll split the difference with you - he's trying to do what Claude tells him to do, but you watch him track the puck when he's the high wing in the D zone - total tunnel vision with no awareness of where he needs to watch for guys moving into gaps.  He gets to where he needs to be but isn't quite processing everything instinctively yet, so he shuts out all but one or two factors.  Better than before, but not there yet.  I'm fine with that.

Biggest thing that will keep TS from scratches is that you can move him up the lineup when behind.  Switch him with Kelly and let him play with Peverly and Ryder - they had something early in the year.  Bump him up to play with Bergeron and Marchand or to replace Horton if he's sleepy.  Or go crazy and pack two lines with whoever's going and see if you can't create an opportunity for his speed or one-timer.  He'll be a useful element in the stretch and the playoffs now that he's well-insulated against pressure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Campbell on the PP is punishment for the regular PP guys - as in, you're sucking so bad right now I might as well put Campbell out there.  I know he'll appreciate it and make the most of it.  Seguin on the PP is more "oh look, the kid is getting PP time even though he hasn't earned it." Bogie - I'll split the difference with you - he's trying to do what Claude tells him to do, but you watch him track the puck when he's the high wing in the D zone - total tunnel vision with no awareness of where he needs to watch for guys moving into gaps.  He gets to where he needs to be but isn't quite processing everything instinctively yet, so he shuts out all but one or two factors.  Better than before, but not there yet.  I'm fine with that. Biggest thing that will keep TS from scratches is that you can move him up the lineup when behind.  Switch him with Kelly and let him play with Peverly and Ryder - they had something early in the year.  Bump him up to play with Bergeron and Marchand or to replace Horton if he's sleepy.  Or go crazy and pack two lines with whoever's going and see if you can't create an opportunity for his speed or one-timer.  He'll be a useful element in the stretch and the playoffs now that he's well-insulated against pressure.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Not that I disagree with your assessment but please define how one "earns it" on Julien's team. Ryder gets his share of PP time despite his fluctuating effort levels. Just an example. 

I am all for anything that will help the team win. This means anything is worth a try. Campbell on the second unit, sure...worth a try. Seguin on the half-boards...why not? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

Give him time.  He needs to learn.  He's not the big physical type of player thats going to get into it in the boards.  Hes built for speed and skill, and just needs some time to develop.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i don't think seguin has the patience to be on the pp.he'd probably try to force passes and lose the puck. he also doesn't have the confidence to be on the pp. they'd probably pressure him and he'd cough up the puck. there is no need to panic with this kid. he will be fine. we don't have to rush him cuz the b's have depth unlike the oilers and his time will come. i wouldn't be surprised if he got
    25-30 goals next year. look at marchand's game last year vs this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]i don't think seguin has the patience to be on the pp.he'd probably try to force passes and lose the puck. he also doesn't have the confidence to be on the pp. they'd probably pressure him and he'd cough up the puck. there is no need to panic with this kid. he will be fine. we don't have to rush him cuz the b's have depth unlike the oilers and his time will come. i wouldn't be surprised if he got 25-30 goals next year. look at marchand's game last year vs this year.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Please. I beg you. Stop with the "don't panic with this kid. give it time". It's not a question of whether he'll be good long-term. He will. It's a question of whether he's better than what they have, right now, on the power play.

I believe he is, and I believe utilizing him there makes the team tougher to play against. The power play limits his defensive exposure, and maximizes his skill set. His offensive energy exhausts the D. The more space available, the more he can do that. Plus he passes quicker than expected too, which causes the D to have to change directions quickly again. And then there's the shot. 

It's basically the same argument as the beginning of the year - safe and reliable with minimal upside vs. explosive, different, just maybe better, but with potential side effects (an occasional f.ugly giveaway, but guess what, everybody has those). Until they dominate on the PP without him, I don't get the argument against having him out there (other than perhaps conditioning. he does seem to get gassed).

Yes, the kid will be fine. No, no one is panicking. And yes, he should get a chance on the power play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]I say if Horton keeps being cold Seguin deserves a shot with Krejc and Luch.  At least a try!!
    Posted by lucaooo[/QUOTE]

Not a terrible idea, but i don't think he would work out with the top 2 right now.  Seguin is doing a lot of things right, but he is not working well in the dirty areas, the corners and cycling...  He plays his best in the open ice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin looking really good against Calgary : Not a terrible idea, but i don't think he would work out with the top 2 right now.  Seguin is doing a lot of things right, but he is not working well in the dirty areas, the corners and cycling...  He plays his best in the open ice.
    Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]

Not sure I am on board with this idea either. Despite Horton's try spell (to put it nicely) this line is still dominant at times and it is due to the Lucic/Horton physical dimension few teams have. In fact, one could make the argument that one reason Lucic is scoring so much is because of the open ice he gets by Horton being with him. As long as this line is producing (like last night) there is noe reason to change it up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beesfan19. Show beesfan19's posts

This game was probably the best game i've seen from Seguin in a Bruins uniform. But, can he still use this momentum on the Canucks?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin looking really good against Calgary : Not sure I am on board with this idea either. Despite Horton's try spell (to put it nicely) this line is still dominant at times and it is due to the Lucic/Horton physical dimension few teams have. In fact, one could make the argument that one reason Lucic is scoring so much is because of the open ice he gets by Horton being with him. As long as this line is producing (like last night) there is noe reason to change it up.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Good post JMW.  Agree about the assessment of Horton helping that group.  If Horton ever snaps out of that goal scoring funk, they would be a deadly trio.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

i'd like to see claude flip horton and segzy if the kid continues to improve. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Joe Thornton played mostly 4th line minutes in his rookie season, he's getting cosistent minutes on the 4th line and seems to be gaining confidence so it can only be good for him.If they want him to play in the playoffs he can't be a defensive liability,he has to be resposilble in his own end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

As long as they play him over Paille, I don't care WHAT line he plays on

Sections
Shortcuts