Seguin over Bergeron

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Seguin over Bergeron

In Response to Re: Seguin over Bergeron:
    [QUOTE]Not much room for a defensive forward with zero flash at the ASG.  His game is awesome, but it sure isn't exciting.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Zero flash? I wonder if Pronger and Brodeur agree.

http://www.coachchic.com/bergeron-burns-pronger/
    http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,581&event=N.J285

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Good on Seguin. He will be getting all his bonuses this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin over Bergeron : Zero flash? I wonder if Pronger and Brodeur agree. http://www.coachchic.com/bergeron-burns-pronger/ http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,581&event=N.J285
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'd have to say that his thread-the-needle passing is of the flashy variety also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I understand that Bergeron and Marchand both make Seguin better....

But you can't deny that Seguin also has made those two guys better. Bergeron is likely going to pass his career high in points and +/-, and Marchand needs 9 more points to pass his season total from a year ago.

I know we all love Bergy, because he's an absolute class-act, and is the type of player you want your kids to idolize, on and off the ice, but we can't deny that Seguin's raw talent and ridiculous upside out-does that of Bergeron, and his talent will always be recognized over Bergeron outside of Boston. Unfortunately, this is just how it is.

Seguin's emergence and play alongside these two has made their line a recognized scoring threat throughout the league; had they stuck with Peverley on that line, I don't think that line would be where it is today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

He is a great puck handler, but a safe-puck handler. He rarely loses the puck, but he doesn't usually beat guys straight up. Compared to some of the guys that will be playing in the all-star game, I don't think he'd stand out with his hands. He's not a pond-hockey type.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the nhl doesn't want the best DEFENSIVE forward at the game, they want GOALS!!!!! this game means nothing. only watching the skills competition.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]the nhl doesn't want the best DEFENSIVE forward at the game, they want GOALS!!!!! this game means nothing. only watching the skills competition.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

This is true when you compare him to Logan Couture of the Sharks, you will notice the points are similar, I doubt Couture's three zone game approaches Bergie's, so it must be the goal output which pushed him ahead of Bergie 17 to 11. 

Also Seguin is listed as a center at THN?  Does that mean he made the team as a Center, or is there another explanation.  (With 13 wings and 11 Centers the reported positions don't seem to have much meaning.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]He is a great puck handler, but a safe-puck handler. He rarely loses the puck, but he doesn't usually beat guys straight up. Compared to some of the guys that will be playing in the all-star game, I don't think he'd stand out with his hands. He's not a pond-hockey type.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Bingo!  Bergeron can beat people but in general he makes the low risk play rather than trying to dangle through the defense.  I think this is true especially after the concussion.  If you watch highlights of (or remember) pre-concussion Bergeron you see him much more likely to try to take a defender one on one in situations where he would now dump the puck into the corner and go win the battle.

I think two things led to this....First of all, Bergeron is a coach's player and plays the way the coach asks him to.  CJ is a defense first coach and Bergeron bought into that from day 1.  I also think that when coming back from the concussion, when his offense was still a little off, Bergeron focussed on playing a solid defensive game so as not to hurt the team/still make a contribution since the scoring wasn't there yet (it can also be argued that he had low quality wingers at that point).  His defensive minded game was so good that it came to define him in the Bruins system, and as a player.  Until Savard got hurt, Bergy was our third line shutdown center and went out against other top lines.  A testament to his defensive ability, but at the same time, a waste of his defensive talents as we had to watch his stone hand wingers botch beautiful setups on a regular basis.

As for Seguin -- good for him, he deserves it as well.  The kid has talent that few have in many areas of the game (speed, shooting, vision).  He's on his way to becoming a superstar in my opinion.  He's on a point-per-game pace this year, and it's only gonna get better in years to come.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Unfortunately, we lose several days of great NHL action, for this, made for TV shinny.  The only good thing is that most of the B's will get some rest.