Seguin/Peverley vs Eriksson/Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Re: Seguin/Peverley vs Eriksson/Smith

Eriksson floats too much for my liking. Seems to lack some want-to. I'm concerned about him. 

Iginla is just stuck on the wrong line and as soon as he gets with Bergeron he'll be fine, so I'm not worried about him, but Eriksson seems to be an even less gritty, slower Seguin (Seguin showed the occasional grit in between bailouts and roll checks) without the great shot but with somewhat higher hockey IQ.

As of now you can chalk it up to being on the wrong line and overthinking his new role, but sometimes these things just never right themselves.

Smith is a pleasant surprise so far and is fitting in well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Let's clear away the obvious, shall we?  If Eriksson, Smith, Fraser and Morrow all play like garbage in Boston, then it's a bad deal.  If they don't produce great numbers but play well enough that the Bruins contend for the Cup, then it's not a bad deal, but everyone will wonder "what if...?"  Everything beyond that, like the current second line gain chemistry and Smith and Eriksson play better and better all year?  Better and better.

The only time it matters what Saygone and Peverley do is if the players the Bruins got aren't contributing to winning, and how much it matters is up for debate.  Say Seguin has 100 points this year (and Peverley has a decent year).  How much of that is playing for Ruff instead of Julien, playing #1 C and being a key to the PP instead of playing for Julien, RW2 and being on the second PP?  It's apples and carburators.  No one whose watched anyone play for the Briuns would reasonably assume that Seguin would produce as well in his role in Boston as he will in Dallas, so it's almost impossible to say how much of an incremental improvement 100pt Seguin would be if he'd stayed in Boston. 

Even if the Bruins win the Cup, there are people who will say they would have won it easier, faster, in a more dominant fashion if they'd kept Seguin.  If they don't, there will be people who say that Seguin would have scored the game winning goal in whatever key games they lost (If the Bruins lose game 7 of the conference finals 2-1 and inevitably someone says "they needed a goal scorer to get that extra goal or two - like Seguin!).

Basically, this thread really comes down to Seguin. If he plays well, and becomes what he was supposed to be - a high-flying offensive threat - there will always be people who say they should never have dealt him no matter what Eriksson, Smith, Fraser and Morrow do for the Bruins.  I'm enjoying Smith.  I like Eriksson's skills and think he'll break out once he and Bergeron start finding each other more regularly.  I think Fraser and Morrow have a future from what little I've seen.  Bruins will be just fine, thanks.  Dallas...well they're Dallas.  With all due respect to dez's scout friend, who f'n cares about Dallas?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and the commenting on how the team is now "slow" is starting to become that annoying drone that comes up every year.  They look slow so far this year because they're handling the puck like a grenade - hard to generate speed throught the neutral zone when you can make crisp, tape to tape passes or control the pass on one touch and move the puck.  So they're not using the speed they have, which is different than being slow.

Where you might say they've been slow is in chasing the puck etc., and while there have been stretches where they've had heavy legs against Colorado and Detroit in particular, they've also woken up and started skating in those games, and when they did, they had long stretches of dominating the puck in the offensive zone.  That didn't happen because they got faster, it happened because they started playing at a higher tempo.  That happened when Seguin and Peverley were in the lineup, too, so I think this is one of those things where they dealt two players whose obvious ++ talents are speed and skating, so commentators are talking about how they don't have that speed any longer.  It just gets in your ear as though it's true.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

It is easy for fans to look over at the other side and check how the other players are doing on their new teams...direct comparisons of point totals are not a good way to judge the success of a trade because of the players' new coaching, role, team mates, TOI, etc. greatly affect the outcome.

As a fan following a trade involving your favourite team, it is necessary to compare the outgoing players past perfomance(on your team) with the incoming players current performance(on your team) ONLY...looking over at Dallas is fun but not an accurate measuring stick.

Chiarelli doesn't give hoot whether Seguin scores 100pts now for Dallas(and he didn't weigh that in the decision to trade him either). He only considered the incoming players improving the team overall.

I would be very happy if Seguin and Peverley shine in Big D and score game winners left & right - as long as the Dallas wins are against Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and the rest of the Eastern Conference (except Boston, of course).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Eriksson will be a solid player.

I think the Bruins need to mix up the lines, and put Eriksson with Krejci and Iginla with Bergeron. That would create better chemistry, in my eyes.

As far as Seguin goes...yeah, we all knew he had the ability to score like crazy, but that wasn't his fit in Boston. The Bruins were able to go out and get 3 very good prospects and a very good NHL veteran with a very cap friendly contract. Heck, I'll even go ahead and be bold....Smith (along with Krug, and maybe Kelly) has easily been one of the best Bruins players so far this year. He seems to be a jack of all trades type, with some offensive creativity, and ability to win puck battles. I think everyone saw the trade as Seguin for Eriksson, but I think this kid is going to be a solid piece to this team moving forward.

Fraser seems like a solid finisher with 70 goals in 135 games in the AHL the past two years, and it sounds like Morrow has a pretty good ceiling as well. 

I personally like the trade. It gave the team a little shake-up (which is generally good in hockey), and could have brought in players who were better fits for the Bruins. Haven't seen Eriksson really shine yet, but I think it will come. I just hope it's not that he was in a small hockey market with a lack of pressure for so long, that the lights in Boston are just a little too bright for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There's no reason to start doubting Eriksson.  Both goals were goalscorer's goals in different ways - one a roofed shot from a bad angle because he was in the right place.  The other, he was in a shooting lane and got an unintentional deflection.  He's getting his shots - third on the team in shots on goal - and he's +2 through six games.  I take on faith that these results will improve over time as the second line a) settles on personnel and b) finds some chemistry, and as Eriksson settles into the system.

Smith has been ... well, he's been Marchand.  He's been quick to the puck, creative when he has it, pesky on defense and opportunistic.  He's third on the team in scoring.  If Marchand wants that job back, he has to start by outplaying Reilly Smith.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's clear away the obvious, shall we?  If Eriksson, Smith, Fraser and Morrow all play like garbage in Boston, then it's a bad deal.  If they don't produce great numbers but play well enough that the Bruins contend for the Cup, then it's not a bad deal, but everyone will wonder "what if...?"  Everything beyond that, like the current second line gain chemistry and Smith and Eriksson play better and better all year?  Better and better.

The only time it matters what Saygone and Peverley do is if the players the Bruins got aren't contributing to winning, and how much it matters is up for debate.  Say Seguin has 100 points this year (and Peverley has a decent year).  How much of that is playing for Ruff instead of Julien, playing #1 C and being a key to the PP instead of playing for Julien, RW2 and being on the second PP?  It's apples and carburators.  No one whose watched anyone play for the Briuns would reasonably assume that Seguin would produce as well in his role in Boston as he will in Dallas, so it's almost impossible to say how much of an incremental improvement 100pt Seguin would be if he'd stayed in Boston. 

Even if the Bruins win the Cup, there are people who will say they would have won it easier, faster, in a more dominant fashion if they'd kept Seguin.  If they don't, there will be people who say that Seguin would have scored the game winning goal in whatever key games they lost (If the Bruins lose game 7 of the conference finals 2-1 and inevitably someone says "they needed a goal scorer to get that extra goal or two - like Seguin!).

Basically, this thread really comes down to Seguin. If he plays well, and becomes what he was supposed to be - a high-flying offensive threat - there will always be people who say they should never have dealt him no matter what Eriksson, Smith, Fraser and Morrow do for the Bruins.  I'm enjoying Smith.  I like Eriksson's skills and think he'll break out once he and Bergeron start finding each other more regularly.  I think Fraser and Morrow have a future from what little I've seen.  Bruins will be just fine, thanks.  Dallas...well they're Dallas.  With all due respect to dez's scout friend, who f'n cares about Dallas?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we can second guess the trade until the cow's come home and no matter what results either team has, good or bad, people will say things would have been better or worse if Seguin and Peverly were in Boston. It really doesn't matter now as long as Smith, Eriksson, Morrow & Fraser contribute to the B's being a better all around and deeper team. Who cares how fast Seguin & Peverly were if they didn't know what to do when they got there. Boston is fast enough to play with any team in the league, lets not blow this out of proportion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"C'mon Claude, swap out Eriksson and Iginla. Put Marchand back with Bergeron, put Smith back with Kelly"

Not going to happen now Gord, not the way Smith is playing.

Iginla might just get demoted soon though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"C'mon Claude, swap out Eriksson and Iginla. Put Marchand back with Bergeron, put Smith back with Kelly"

Iginla might just get demoted soon though.

[/QUOTE]

Who knew? This guy could turn out to be pretty good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Bruins need to mix up the lines, and put Eriksson with Krejci and Iginla with Bergeron. That would create better chemistry, in my eyes.

As far as Seguin goes...yeah, we all knew he had the ability to score like crazy, but that wasn't his fit in Boston. The Bruins were able to go out and get 3 very good prospects and a very good NHL veteran with a very cap friendly contract. Heck, I'll even go ahead and be bold....Smith (along with Krug, and maybe Kelly) has easily been one of the best Bruins players so far this year. He seems to be a jack of all trades type, with some offensive creativity, and ability to win puck battles. I think everyone saw the trade as Seguin for Eriksson, but I think this kid is going to be a solid piece to this team moving forward.

Fraser seems like a solid finisher with 70 goals in 135 games in the AHL the past two years, and it sounds like Morrow has a pretty good ceiling as well. 

I personally like the trade. It gave the team a little shake-up (which is generally good in hockey), and could have brought in players who were better fits for the Bruins. Haven't seen Eriksson really shine yet, but I think it will come. I just hope it's not that he was in a small hockey market with a lack of pressure for so long, that the lights in Boston are just a little too bright for him.

[/QUOTE]

Too bad we didn't see that ability v. Chicago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too bad we didn't see that ability v. Chicago.

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I said ability...everyone knew it was there. He just didn't seem to step up when it mattered.

In 40 playoff games with the Bruins, he scored a whopping 6 goals. SIX. None of which came in 13 Cup games. 3 of which came in a two game stretch, and 2 more in another two game stretch (which were both big goals, to his credit). In his last 38 playoff games, he scored 3 goals.

The kid obviously has talent, but I don't think he ever really takes it to the next level. Maybe being "the guy" down in Dallas, a less hockey crazy town with way less pressure, will make him thrive. The only time I ever saw him with that next gear was games 1 and 2 against Tampa in 2011, where he was obviously playing with a very high level of emotion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

The Third Line is starting to look eerily ineffectual again - does Soderberg replace Caron in Tampa?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to gord11's comment:[QUOTE]

The Third Line is starting to look eerily ineffectual again - does Soderberg replace Caron in Tampa? [/QUOTE]

Yah and would love to see Caron move to the 4th line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck to Seguin.  May his potential outweigh his partying.  Good luck to Peverly.  May he show the world he's more than a third line player.

Thanks for the top notch goal scorer.  Enjoy the baggage in return!

[/QUOTE]

lol lol lol lol. Sorry reading your post from Athens Greece and couldnt stop laughing , my wife was wondering why I was laughing so much.....lol lol lol.....the only reason why the Lemon has 4 points thus far is ..he is getting lots of ice time because the Stars sucks..he wouldnt make the team in 50% of the NHL teams believe me ....but really thanks for the good laugh ...lol lol lol lol 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck to Seguin.  May his potential outweigh his partying.  Good luck to Peverly.  May he show the world he's more than a third line player.

Thanks for the top notch goal scorer.  Enjoy the baggage in return!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good laugh Not-A-Shot....lol lol lol lol lol ...the Lemon is having all the ice time in the world simply because the Stars s...s.....he would'nt make the team in over 50% of the other teams....believe me ...but thanks again...lol lol lol lol lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

GP G A Pts   ATOI         P/G         P/Min    Cap Hit $/Pts

Seguin   10 4 6 10    18:58        1          0.052632 5.75     0.575

Peverley  9 2 3 5       18:10      0.56      0.030525 3.25     0.65

Total:      19 6 9 15                   0.79      0.042397 9           0.6                    

Eriksson   8 2 1 3      16:24     0.38        0.022727 4.25     1.416667

Smith       10 1 5 6     14:02     0.6         0.042857 0.9        0.15

Total:       18 3 6 9                   0.5         0.033088 5.15      0.572222

Things starting to look a little better for the Bruins, even with Eriksson not producing and now injured.  Smith continues to provide great bang for the buck while Seguin has slowed down somewhat.  The Stars are getting more ppg, but the Bruins are now spending less of their cap $ per point scored.  They are also getting closer to the Stars in terms of points per minute of ice time.  When you factor in Iginla's strong play, the cap money saved and used to sign him adds to the value for Boston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] "C'mon Claude, swap out Eriksson and Iginla. Put Marchand back with Bergeron, put Smith back with Kelly"

Iginla might just get demoted soon though.[/QUOTE]

Who knew? This guy could turn out to be pretty good. [/QUOTE]

I thought it would take awhile 50 but he has chemistry with Bergeron and did have it with Eriksson. I really thought Fraser would grab that spot but pleased with the way Smith really just took it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Boston management doesn't seem to know what to do with skilled offensive players 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Seguin has outstanding "pond" skills.  Those shouldn't be confused with NHL superstar potential, and imo, make his transition to that level improbable.  To me, he's a very unatural center.  I don't understand that.

Even if he does do something hi-end(which he should cuz he's paid that way now), teams today can only have so many 6 mil players regardless how much they shine.  The fine line between winning and losing can as much be attributed to over delivering spare parts...as the contribution of the big dogs.

Despite Crosby/Malkins undeniable rep as as bonafide elite NHLers, there's still a logical argument to debate the possibility the Penguins could be a better "team" with 5 reasonably hi-end players for the same amount.

Therefore, what Seguin does moving forward means nothing.  It's not what Seguin does...it's what the Bruins do, which will dictate the overall wisdom of this deal.  If the Bruins appear more balanced, and stronger....they won.  If they're obviously weaker...they lost.   If Seguin scores 200 this year...it was win-win.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...in another Dallas loss...

The curious thing in watching how Seguin does in Dallas is not "did the Bruins give up too soon" but "can he be The Guy on a winning team".  He'll get his points this year - looking like a point/game is about right for him - and Dallas will miss the playoffs.  Tyler will have a nice long offseason to party, sober up, and come back well rested for the first time in a few years.  Great, super.  Then what?

Dallas has three big ticket, underproducing vets in Whitney, Horcoff and Cole.  Close to $15M in cap.  Whitney is off the books after this year, Cole and Horcoff next year.  Next step forward is upgrading these guys and using the salary for something that helps.  Their D has been awful with Goligoski getting benched, Gonchar looking like pylon, and Brendan Dillon and Jordie Benn being Ruff's first choices in terms of ice time. 

There's not a ton of prospects in the pipeline banging down the door.  They kept their #1 pick from this year and he has 2 A so far.  They've promoted their best prospect - Chiasson - already.  Ritchie - Hamilton's old Niagara teammate - might get there, but it's too early to tell.  Travis Morin is a 29 year old AHL vet who probably isn't as good as his 2points/game scoring pace to start the year.  Oleksiak should help on the blueline but isn't going to help the transition game much. So it could be a while before Seguin has much of  supporting cast.  Dallas sure could use Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow.

So let's say it's a Kessel-like three years of wandering in the desert for the Stars post-Seguin.  In four years, when Dallas is contending for a playoff spot on a regular basis, will Seguin have evolved enough to be a top scorer on that team, or will he be asked to play a role that grates on him and brings his production down?  And if so, will he do it the way Yzerman did with great success, or will he end up somewhere else when his contract expires and he's a 27 yr old UFA who can go to the highest bidder?

That's the long game story I'm interested in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Book, another divergent but interesting observation which shouls stimulate some comments, although there doesn't seem to be very much on this site lately. Maybe it will improve since the Red Sox are at rest. with Eriksson's injury there isn't that much to compare, although Rielly Smith has shown some excellent hockey skills that will help the bruins if Claude ever gets to using all of his assets more effectively. I know it's only my opinion, but the talent is there, and Thornton does not deserve to continue, as his determination cannot overcome his basic lack of hockey skills. Time for Claude to present a full package.