seguin trade revisted on its one year anniversary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

seguin trade revisted on its one year anniversary

With Marco outta the way i think its safe to talk about this deal again.  Its been a year and 2 days since its gone down.  How many on here would reverse that trade if it could happen.  I for one would do it in a heartbeat.  Speedy offensive guys are what we are hunting for now....Seguin with DK and Lucic sure would look nice right about now.   I personally think we gave up on him too early.  

Thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: seguin trade revisted on its one year anniversary

Never look back! You won't be able to see what is ahead and risk getting more lost. 

Look ahead. See what is there and plan your route. However, the salary cap remains a constant obstacle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins would be in worse cap shape than they are in now if Seguin were kept. Then you add in the rumors about how Seguin showed up to games three and four of the Loafs series, throw in his offensive output in 2012 playoffs and the rest of 2013 playoffs. PC started looking at the financial commitment and what he wasn't getting back in return.

Seguin exploded as a center this past regular season, obviously his natural position but that wasn't going to happen in Boston with Bergeron and Krejci. I'm still Ok with the trade especially with the hall of players that PC took back. Fraser, Morrow and Smith could all be starters, contributing for the Bruins one year from now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I will wait until Eriksson has a year without a brain injury to levy judgment.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

The Bruins had their best regular season in a long time mostly because of this trade.  They blew it in the playoffs.  With Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, etc. playing the way they did in the playoffs, I don't see how adding Seguin and deleting Iginla, Eriksson and Smith helps the Bruins get out of the second round.

-GNB, King Of The Forum

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I despise the "never" look back scenario.  We learn and grow from looking back.  Gain experience.  Living in the past is what's problematic, but no more so than denial.

In the hockey business, you have to look at the logic of the trade, "at that time"(roster, cap, perceived value etc).  That's really all that's relevant.  Without question, the perceived value of all 3 players, is much different than it was a year ago.  The only sensible question to me is as follows.  "should an expert NHL calibre GM, been able to forsee this?".  I'm not sure the answer is a resounding 'yes", so I doubt I'll ever be too critical, regardless what happens. 

Seemed very forward thinking and bold at the time to me.  For the most part, the team appeared stronger in 13/14, but they laid down come exam time.  I don't think that had squat to do with the subtraction of Seguin.  Certainly not in the top 20 reasons why they lost.

If Smith is a one hit wonder, Louis continues "as is", and the B's don't win a cup soon, it'll be a huge blackmark on PC's image.  If both are a bust, and PC wins a Cup, it won't make much difference.

By looking back, doubt

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Still too early to tell. 

Seguin, despite the regular season success, has only 4 goals and 14 points in his last 3 playoff runs covering 35 games.  Think he needs to produce in the playoffs.  He's still only 22.

Eriksson needs to have a better season, no question about it.  Hopefully, a healthy version playing in the top-6 will do that.

Smith needs to hold serve or move ahead, can't have him fall back.

Fraser has a great chance to be in the bottom-6 this year.  Maybe even contribute on the PP with that release?

Morrow?  Who knows, still young and developing.  Think you need to get something from him to be able to claim victory on this deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

I despise the "never" look back scenario.  We learn and grow from looking back.  Gain experience.  Living in the past is what's problematic, but no more so than denial.

In the hockey business, you have to look at the logic of the trade, "at that time"(roster, cap, perceived value etc).  That's really all that's relevant.  Without question, the perceived value of all 3 players, is much different than it was a year ago.  The only sensible question to me is as follows.  "should an expert NHL calibre GM, been able to forsee this?".  I'm not sure the answer is a resounding 'yes", so I doubt I'll ever be too critical, regardless what happens. 

Seemed very forward thinking and bold at the time to me.  For the most part, the team appeared stronger in 13/14, but they laid down come exam time.  I don't think that had squat to do with the subtraction of Seguin.  Certainly not in the top 20 reasons why they lost.

If Smith is a one hit wonder, Louis continues "as is", and the B's don't win a cup soon, it'll be a huge blackmark on PC's image.  If both are a bust, and PC wins a Cup, it won't make much difference.

By looking back, doubt

Never look back does not mean forgetting the past, it has more to do with not letting it hinder your future (like Miss Haversham in Great Expectations).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Marco outta the way i think its safe to talk about this deal again.  Its been a year and 2 days since its gone down.  How many on here would reverse that trade if it could happen.  I for one would do it in a heartbeat.  Speedy offensive guys are what we are hunting for now....Seguin with DK and Lucic sure would look nice right about now.   I personally think we gave up on him too early.  

Thoughts?   

[/QUOTE]

Marco Sr. Still here. I'd rather have his 5.75 million cap hit and he'd be great with DK and Lucic. Instead it's just a guessing game if Loui will do well next year. If he doesn't your stuck with 4.25 million cap hit for a 3rd liner And for another year too. Nill has Seguin tied up with 5.75 million cap hit until 2019..All these years pretty boy will be in his prime and with Toews and Kane looking for 12 million bucks each His contract will be below what the market is for a scorer lke that. Certainly not in their league yet but he did out score both of them in regular season. Those that say the Presidents cup means something then must lay praise on Seguins regular season.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?   

[/QUOTE]

Marco/Lex44 has revisited the trade on every thread every day for the last year.

Still too many unknowns to come to a conclusion yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah...too early yet. Maybe in a year or two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?   

[/QUOTE]

Marco/Lex44 has revisited the trade on every thread every day for the last year.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't start the thread. Every1 can come on over and over again and say they like the trade but God forgive if some1 hates it..Last tread was " OMG not Loui on top line."  Can't help it if my eyes light up when some1 brings it up.,  there's just as many adamant he's going to have a great season this year even though he's had 2 flops in a row.. Enough with the we got Fraser and Morrow too.   Wow whoopie!!!!!   They got 37 goals and highest we got back was 20.  I'll take the 37  anyday. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Lex44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thoughts?   

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't start the thread. Every1 can come on over and over again and say they like the trade but God forgive if some1 hates it..Last tread was " OMG not Loui on top line."  Can't help it if my eyes light up when some1 brings it up.,  there's just as many adamant he's going to have a great season this year even though he's had 2 flops in a row.. Enough with the we got Fraser and Morrow too.   Wow whoopie!!!!!   They got 37 goals and highest we got back was 20.  I'll take the 37  anyday. 

[/QUOTE]

I'll take the team being better any day. The team was better

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Actually the B's got 32 goals out of the traded parts last season.

At any rate I think both teams got exactly what they wanted.

Dallas: a legit big name young scorer

Bruins: cap relief, hard working players to fill the roster, and legit prospects

Neither side should be complaining.....too much.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The trade was made, Seguin had something to prove. He did during the regular season. Eriksson had two concussions. Smith may or may not pan out but he has skill. Morrow and Fraser are still NHLers. Based on those observations the trade was a poor one. In five years if the Bs win the Cup all is forgotten. Seguin has Benn riding shotgun and he will be a cover boy for disgruntled fans. I will never forget his no show in the Cup finals 2013. So I will look back in five years and think of Seguin's performance then in tat Cup final. The trade was made. Cap pressures now facing the Bs are lessen by his departure.

"Don't judge me monkey" 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Beat you to it Isla :)    By a hair

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The kid has sick skill, he will be among the top of the league scorers for years to come. We knew this, it's why he was drafted 2nd overall and ranked #1 by Central Scouting going into the draft. Then we had some maturity issues, which happens, and when your a young center with maturity issues, struggling to produce while playing wing on the 3rd line of a Cup contending team that has David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron then the G.M's hand might be forced.

Time to move on, and it isn't Erikssons fault Seguin is a Dallas Star.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Seguin provided more proof that he wasn't and isn't a playoff performer.

Trading Seguin was absolutely the right thing to do.

And how quickly people forget that they dumped Peverly in this process.

The only controversy I can see is the return for him, and whether or not you like Loui or not you have to give him one more year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only controversy I can see is the return for him, and whether or not you like Loui or not you have to give him one more year.

[/QUOTE]

There were other options to rid the team of Peverley.

I also remember the argument that was made last year, that the B's never would have been able to land Iginla if they still had Seguin.  That argument looks a little weaker now given the Cap pressure and Iginla's jump to the Avs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There were other options to rid the team of Peverley.

I also remember the argument that was made last year, that the B's never would have been able to land Iginla if they still had Seguin.  That argument looks a little weaker now given the Cap pressure and Iginla's jump to the Avs.

[/QUOTE]

Is it true they could have just bought Peverly out without any cap hit?  If so they traded off a very good asset just to help dump Peverlys salary. Wouldn't it have helped If billionaire JJ would have just paid off Pev?   I really didn't give a damn if they traded Seguin it's just now they're left with an asset that's not worth a thing until he proves he can score again.  Not bad I got thru that without mentioning his name..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In 2013 he was injured along with Bergeron in the playoffs .  So you can't point to that as a reason for the trade.  Their whole line was bang'd up. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Was Seguin's alcohol induced? So what does Stamkos do at the same age? Seguin is overrated IMO. The maturity issue should not be an issue if you are21 and make 6 mil. If you cannot find motivation to help the team then you are trade bait.

n response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In 2013 he was injured along with Bergeron in the playoffs .  So you can't point to that as a reason for the trade.  Their whole line was bang'd up. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was Seguin's alcohol induced? So what does Stamkos do at the same age? Seguin is overrated IMO. The maturity issue should not be an issue if you are21 and make 6 mil. If you cannot find motivation to help the team then you are trade bait.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

No problem. Trade him,  but the best player you could get was  a 12 goal scorer that year.  Nills eyes must have popped out of his head when they requested you know who., 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Lex44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

No problem. Trade him,  but the best player you could get was  a 12 goal scorer that year.  Nills eyes must have popped out of his head when they requested you know who., 

[/QUOTE]

So, they traded a 16 goal scorer for a 12 goal scorer? So what?

Seguin: 16-16-32

Eriksson: 12-17-29

2011-12?

Seguin: 29-38-67

Eriksson: 26-45-71

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]

Actually the B's got 32 goals out of the traded parts last season.

At any rate I think both teams got exactly what they wanted.

Dallas: a legit big name young scorer

Bruins: cap relief, hard working players to fill the roster, and legit prospects

Neither side should be complaining.....too much.  [/QUOTE]

Both teams got what they wanted. Unfortunately you will have morons that will always think the true comparison will be between Eriksson and Seguin. It was not a straight up trade, to think it was is dumb.

But what can you expect from a 3 Decker T00l!