Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End?

Somehow it would seem as if Tyler Seguin's NHL career has always had an it's only attatched to it since day 1 and I'm wondering when it can finally end.
    Here's what I mean.
    Seguin makes eventual Cup champs as a teen.........
    -Some claim that it's only because he was such a high pick and that PC was afraid to lose face by sending him down.
    After an up and down season and a string of games in the press-box Tyler is thrust into action in the pressure-packed round 2 against T-Bay............
    -Well it's only because Bergeron is hurt that he's even playing.
    Seguin chips in 3g and 7pts in the playoff run and is actually the key player in 1 of Boston's most crucial playoff wins........
    -Well it's only been 1 good period(record-breaker).
     Tyler shows up in September looking stronger while scoring some goals throughout training camp........
    -Well it's only pre-season action.
    Tyler starts the year off flying with 3 points and numerous other scoring chances created in 3rd line duties........
    -Well it's only been 2 games.

I guess this is my long-winded way of asking when people can finally drop the it's onlys and just be happy saying "wow, this kid is good"? I gotta say I'm comfortable with dropping it right now(although I've felt that way since the Finals anyway).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End?

I'd say that stuff is last year..He's a key player right now and he's playing like one so far. He's obviously more confident, his legs are always moving and I love the fact that he's shooting more...He definetly getting his chances, and when they start going in for him, theyll start going in for him in bunches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I have believed he was our most offensivly skilled forward even last year. I would like to know your friend thats a scout thoughts on that statment. Last year he got little ice time and in my opinion wasn't given much of a chance to succeed with the ice time and his linemates and basicly no power play chances.

If I was coaching this team he would be on the 2nd or first line. The only reason I can think of as to why he isn't paired with more talented line mates is maybe claude wants him to help balance the lines scoring? Ask those who are in my fantasy league I took him higher than most would but I beleive he will make great improvments on last years numbers. To me its simply a matter of claude takeing the kid gloves off and give him ice time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You can look forward to:

it's only because he doesn't face top checking
    it's only because Kelly covers his mistakes
    it's only one year
    it's only what you'd expect from a #2 overall pick
    it's only his second Stanley Cup ring

and maybe you really look forward to:

it's only his second season
    it's only his 20th birthday
    it's only the tip of the iceberg
    it's only one of the ways this kid will beat you if you give him an inch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Good post Dez, Seguin's confidence level and impact on the game is noticeable thus far.  I keep thinking..."if only this kid could skate with better players, then look out". 

He still looks great, but I wonder how much skating with Kelly/Pouliut/Caron has the potential to hold his creativity/explosiveness/production back a little. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Seguin continues to show his talent, which is definitely top 6. Kelly played his best game last night, but does not have hands for scoring off of Seguin's great passes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'm looking forward to the "it's only's" ending up in a ditch beside any possible "Seguin/Kessel" discourse that may come up.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I have tried not to badmouth CJ.  He took this team to a Stanley Cup last year and for that I admire him and I also have to admit that he pulled the right strings last year.  I was frustrated with his handling of Seguin last year but it is hard to argue with the results and I will admit that Tyler had a lot of learning to do.  It is evident this year that TS has come back stronger and with a lot more confidence.  CJ has played him 16-17 minutes the first 2 games and he is getting regular power play time but this is where I say that Claude is stubborn.  You have your best offensive talent playing 3rd line wing with an offensively challenged centre.  TS is a top 6 forward plain and simple.  Not that they would ever do this, but if the Bruins were to trade Tyler to any of the other 29 teams, Seguin would immediately be put on one of that team's top 2 lines.  Yes I get that Boston has a lot of strong fowards but as I said before the only way Tyler should be on the 3rd line instead of playing with Bergy and Marchand is if he was plaing centre.  Last year fine, but this year I don't blame TS if he is a little miffed watching Hall and Skinner get treated as key guys while he continues to be treated as a 3rd liner.  Don't bother saying nobody is above the team.  I agree, but if nobody is above the team, then if Seguin continues to play as well as he has, one of the current top 6 shouldn't have a problem dropping back to play on the 3rd line.  CJ - Tyler needs to play with Krejci or Bergeron or play centre.  Make it happen!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End?:
    I have tried not to badmouth CJ.  He took this team to a Stanley Cup last year and for that I admire him and I also have to admit that he pulled the right strings last year.  I was frustrated with his handling of Seguin last year but it is hard to argue with the results and I will admit that Tyler had a lot of learning to do.  It is evident this year that TS has come back stronger and with a lot more confidence.  CJ has played him 16-17 minutes the first 2 games and he is getting regular power play time but this is where I say that Claude is stubborn.  You have your best offensive talent playing 3rd line wing with an offensively challenged centre.  TS is a top 6 forward plain and simple.  Not that they would ever do this, but if the Bruins were to trade Tyler to any of the other 29 teams, Seguin would immediately be put on one of that team's top 2 lines.  Yes I get that Boston has a lot of strong fowards but as I said before the only way Tyler should be on the 3rd line instead of playing with Bergy and Marchand is if he was plaing centre.  Last year fine, but this year I don't blame TS if he is a little miffed watching Hall and Skinner get treated as key guys while he continues to be treated as a 3rd liner.  Don't bother saying nobody is above the team.  I agree, but if nobody is above the team, then if Seguin continues to play as well as he has, one of the current top 6 shouldn't have a problem dropping back to play on the 3rd line.  CJ - Tyler needs to play with Krejci or Bergeron or play centre.  Make it happen!! 
    Posted by huntbri

Switching Horton for Seguin might not be a bad idea if even for just a few games. Horton seems like he needs to get some of his timing back and Seguin looks primed for 1st line opportunities. Win-Win.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Tyler is driving to the net with authority and not shying away from contact so now I don't have to comment "only if"...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End?:
    Somehow it would seem as if Tyler Seguin's NHL career has always had an it's only attatched to it since day 1 and I'm wondering when it can finally end. Here's what I mean. Seguin makes eventual Cup champs as a teen......... -Some claim that it's only because he was such a high pick and that PC was afraid to lose face by sending him down. After an up and down season and a string of games in the press-box Tyler is thrust into action in the pressure-packed round 2 against T-Bay............ -Well it's only because Bergeron is hurt that he's even playing. Seguin chips in 3g and 7pts in the playoff run and is actually the key player in 1 of Boston's most crucial playoff wins........ -Well it's only been 1 good period(record-breaker).  Tyler shows up in September looking stronger while scoring some goals throughout training camp........ -Well it's only pre-season action. Tyler starts the year off flying with 3 points and numerous other scoring chances created in 3rd line duties........ -Well it's only been 2 games. I guess this is my long-winded way of asking when people can finally drop the it's onlys and just be happy saying "wow, this kid is good"? I gotta say I'm comfortable with dropping it right now(although I've felt that way since the Finals anyway).
    Posted by dezaruchi

I agree with you but I actually said he should have been sent down last year.  I didnt think there was a spot in the lineup for him due to depth and I didnt think riding the pine or press box was the answer.  He had a lot of individual succcess as a junior player and I don't think he was prepared mentally or physically. 
    Now, saying that he completely saved our playoff run and actually w/o him we may have not won.  In fact its turning pts like this that are defining moments.
    But I think he could have played junior and been called up for the playoffs. 

This year he has the playoff success/experience on his side and he is bigger and stronger and what a lazer of a shot.  He will have good and bad games for sure just like most do as a rookie.  Bu I think playing him with Kelly is a good move.  It allows the 2 kids to be creative and know they have old reliable Kelly in there. 

I think we are only seeing a small small sample size of what this franchise player has to offer.  As everyone remembers Stamkos didnt have a great rookie year either. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Posted by huntbri

Defense wins championships, plain and simple. I agree with CJ limiting Seguin's play last year, because while he showed offensive brilliance at times, he was a defensive liability quite frequently. He's improved that aspect of his game, but I still agree with him being on the third line. First, with 17 minutes a game, CJ isn't playing them really as a third line - more a 2B, and as you say balancing the scoring out.
    Seguin has struggled in the occassional situation where he's had to take the faceoff. He's gots erious back up that way on his current line, and doesn't need to take on that responsibility right now. Also while his defensive game is better, it's not on the same level as most of the team. Kelly is a good linemate for him that way as he can cover up his mistakes. He will get first line minutes - eventually. But for now, I think CJ is using him perfectly. He's getting points out of him, he has him in a situation where he can improve his defensive game without hurting the team (and that's what matters - not how many points TS can put up, but what he can do to help the team win) and he's not being counted on to bear all of the team's offensive weight. Every line on this team has a strong defensive presence and offensive skills. Keep him where he is alongside Kelly - it's working, and almost no team has the defensive capabilities to counteract CJ's balanced attack strategy. Seriously, if you're an opposing coach and you look at our top three lines, how do you matchup against them? It'd drive me loopy trying to counteract all three defensively. I think it's great coaching on CJ's part and will give the opposition bench bosses absolute conniptions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End? : Defense wins championships, plain and simple. I agree with CJ limiting Seguin's play last year, because while he showed offensive brilliance at times, he was a defensive liability quite frequently. He's improved that aspect of his game, but I still agree with him being on the third line. First, with 17 minutes a game, CJ isn't playing them really as a third line - more a 2B, and as you say balancing the scoring out. Seguin has struggled in the occassional situation where he's had to take the faceoff. He's gots erious back up that way on his current line, and doesn't need to take on that responsibility right now. Also while his defensive game is better, it's not on the same level as most of the team. Kelly is a good linemate for him that way as he can cover up his mistakes. He will get first line minutes - eventually. But for now, I think CJ is using him perfectly. He's getting points out of him, he has him in a situation where he can improve his defensive game without hurting the team (and that's what matters - not how many points TS can put up, but what he can do to help the team win) and he's not being counted on to bear all of the team's offensive weight. Every line on this team has a strong defensive presence and offensive skills. Keep him where he is alongside Kelly - it's working, and almost no team has the defensive capabilities to counteract CJ's balanced attack strategy. Seriously, if you're an opposing coach and you look at our top three lines, how do you matchup against them? It'd drive me loopy trying to counteract all three defensively. I think it's great coaching on CJ's part and will give the opposition bench bosses absolute conniptions.
    Posted by red75

Red- I am gonna say this.  You know your hockey!  I don't always agree with you but you are solid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Seguin has put on some weight and more in the way of muscle so he is going to be a force this year. It's always best to baby the youngsters until they're ready and Julien was a genius for handling Seguin the way he did. NOW he's ready to kick some major *** and will be a good player in this league. He knows that Recchi retired so he's ready to take over for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End? : Red- I am gonna say this.  You know your hockey!  I don't always agree with you but you are solid.
    Posted by shuperman

I agree with you Shupe.  She does know her hockey, and Red you have made some very good points.  The Bruins have 3 fairly even lines, not necessarily a
    1st, 2nd or 3rd line and that is tough for other teams to defense.  That being said if you were to put Peverly with Kelly and Pouliot/Caron they would still be a good 3rd line.  You could then still have your best offensive talent playing with a good defensive centre, but one who has good offensive ability as well.  Good luck to your Jets today Red especially since they are playing the Habs.  Brett MacLean who they just claimed on waivers from the Coyotes is from my hometown of Port Elgin Ontario.  I played slo-pitch with his Dad many years ago.  He scored a ton in junior and consitently in the AHL.  Hopefully he can prove he can score consistently in the NHL with the Jets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End? : I agree with you Shupe.  She does know her hockey, and Red you have made some very good points.  The Bruins have 3 fairly even lines, not necessarily a 1st, 2nd or 3rd line and that is tough for other teams to defense.  That being said if you were to put Peverly with Kelly and Pouliot/Caron they would still be a good 3rd line.  You could then still have your best offensive talent playing with a good defensive centre, but one who has good offensive ability as well.  Good luck to your Jets today Red especially since they are playing the Habs.  Brett MacLean who they just claimed on waivers from the Coyotes is from my hometown of Port Elgin Ontario.  I played slo-pitch with his Dad many years ago.  He scored a ton in junior and consitently in the AHL.  Hopefully he can prove he can score consistently in the NHL with the Jets.
    Posted by huntbri

thnks. i'm practically vibrating right now - had to hold back tears twice already today - I'll be a wreck bygame time.

As for moving him up and Pevs down - maybe. I just don't think that Marchand, Bergeron, Seguin and Caron, Kelly, Pevs, gives you the same level of balance that you get from Marchand, Bergeron, Pevs and Caron, Kelly, Seguin. I think the current lines spread out the scoring more effectively, making it more difficult for the other team to defend. I think the current structure makes it near impossible for the opposition to get the defensive matchups capable of sutting down all threee lines. I don't know if you have that same ability if you move Seguin up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

You might be right.  At the end of the day I just want to have Tyler reach his potential with Boston rather than with some other team, if he becomes disenchanted.  As long as he continues to get 15 to 18 minutes a game and consistent powerplay time, I am sure it will work out fine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You might be right.  At the end of the day I just want to have Tyler reach his potential with Boston rather than with some other team, if he becomes disenchanted.  As long as he continues to get 15 to 18 minutes a game and consistent powerplay time, I am sure it will work out fine.
    Posted by huntbri

He isn't an RFA for two-years, and you can guarantee that he'll be resigned. His "disenchantment" isn't something we have to worry about for six years or so. By then he'll be our starting centre. Think you're worrying prematurely. And look at Detroit, they also have very very good players spread through out their line-up, and they don't get "disenchanted". Why? Because they win, just like the Bruins are set to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Agreed Dez--horton might be seeing double double.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End? : Defense wins championships, plain and simple. I agree with CJ limiting Seguin's play last year, because while he showed offensive brilliance at times, he was a defensive liability quite frequently. He's improved that aspect of his game, but I still agree with him being on the third line. First, with 17 minutes a game, CJ isn't playing them really as a third line - more a 2B, and as you say balancing the scoring out. Seguin has struggled in the occassional situation where he's had to take the faceoff. He's gots erious back up that way on his current line, and doesn't need to take on that responsibility right now. Also while his defensive game is better, it's not on the same level as most of the team. Kelly is a good linemate for him that way as he can cover up his mistakes. He will get first line minutes - eventually. But for now, I think CJ is using him perfectly. He's getting points out of him, he has him in a situation where he can improve his defensive game without hurting the team (and that's what matters - not how many points TS can put up, but what he can do to help the team win) and he's not being counted on to bear all of the team's offensive weight. Every line on this team has a strong defensive presence and offensive skills. Keep him where he is alongside Kelly - it's working, and almost no team has the defensive capabilities to counteract CJ's balanced attack strategy. Seriously, if you're an opposing coach and you look at our top three lines, how do you matchup against them? It'd drive me loopy trying to counteract all three defensively. I think it's great coaching on CJ's part and will give the opposition bench bosses absolute conniptions.
    Posted by red75

I would agree if the B's had someone else besides Caron or Pouillet on that 3rd line.Seguin appears ready to start putting some points up,yes,I realize he needs to play two way hockey but it might be a waste to have him playing with Kelly and Caron/Pouillet.Despite scoring two goals last night,I think Peverly is a better fit on the 3rd line.Peverly is one of the best two way players on the team but doesn't have the offensive potential that Seguin does.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End? : Switching Horton for Seguin might not be a bad idea if even for just a few games. Horton seems like he needs to get some of his timing back and Seguin looks primed for 1st line opportunities. Win-Win.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I agree that Horton needs to get some of his timing back.He misfired half a dozen times over the first two games.Overall ,though I think the 1st line played reasonably well.I think it is too early to consider breaking them up given the success they had last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Dez, I think people will come around regarding Seguin soon enough.

This kid's gonna rack up some points this year if CJ keeps playing him on the PP with Marchand. THey had a lot of chances yesterday. Only a metter of time until it clicks. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin-When Will The " It's Only"s End? : I would agree if the B's had someone else besides Caron or Pouillet on that 3rd line.Seguin appears ready to start putting some points up,yes,I realize he needs to play two way hockey but it might be a waste to have him playing with Kelly and Caron/Pouillet.Despite scoring two goals last night,I think Peverly is a better fit on the 3rd line.Peverly is one of the best two way players on the team but doesn't have the offensive potential that Seguin does.
    Posted by DallasSmith

This is where we disagree. You look at Seguin playing with someone of Caron's level and it slowing Seguin's development, and I see it as someone of Seguin's ability playing with Caron and it pushing both of them to be better. Remember, Caron's development is important to the Bruins as well. Playing with Seguin could help him be a better player for us  down the line, with Kelly as the voice of experience on the line, aiding both of the kids so they both improve. If it was Pevs, Kelly and Caron, I don't hink Caron would be chaallenged as much, and as such his game would not improve as much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

QUOTE]Good post Dez, Seguin's confidence level and impact on the game is noticeable thus far.  I keep thinking..." if only this kid could skate with better players, then look out".  He still looks great, but I wonder how much skating with Kelly/Pouliut/Caron has the potential to hold his creativity/explosiveness/production back a little. 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Maybe the idea right now is to have Seguin bring up the level of play of his line-mates?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Seguin-When Will The

Good post Dez, Seguin's confidence level and impact on the game is noticeable thus far.  I keep thinking..." if only this kid could skate with better players, then look out".  He still looks great, but I wonder how much skating with Kelly/Pouliut/Caron has the potential to hold his creativity/explosiveness/production back a little.  Posted by Crowls2424
    Maybe the idea right now is to have Seguin bring up the level of play of his line-mates?
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey

x2

Sections
Shortcuts