Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: Seguin

Unless I see overwhelming evidence, I defer to coaches instead of being a Monday morning quarterback, which you are doing. I'm trying to downplay the kids acheivements because everyone is overplaying them. He's not that great and he doesn't suck either, he's a prospect that will be a great player once he learns the pro game. He's a 19 yo kid playing a mans game and looks lost out there when he doesn't have the puck. The majority of fans don't even watch the guy who doesn't have the puck and that's what I love about going to the games, I don't have to look where the camera man is looking.

I think the risk of putting him out there is huge as he's a defensive liability, you think it isn't. He doesn't deserve to be on the top 2 scoring lines, he doesn't belong on a 3rd line defensive pairing and he doesn't belong on a checking line. If Bergeron was playing, I don't see a strong reason to put him in the lineup over Thornton. I just think he's more important than you think as I don't view him as purely a skating clown.

If he was a +, I'd say he was productive. He was even, as I thought he would be, scores one but is on the ice for opposing goals. The second goal the Bs scored is irrelevant to me as the game was already over by then.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin:
    Unless I see overwhelming evidence, I defer to coaches instead of being a Monday morning quarterback, which you are doing. I'm trying to downplay the kids acheivements because everyone is overplaying them. He's not that great and he doesn't suck either, he's a prospect that will be a great player once he learns the pro game. He's a 19 yo kid playing a mans game and looks lost out there when he doesn't have the puck. The majority of fans don't even watch the guy who doesn't have the puck and that's what I love about going to the games, I don't have to look where the camera man is looking. I think the risk of putting him out there is huge as he's a defensive liability, you think it isn't. He doesn't deserve to be on the top 2 scoring lines, he doesn't belong on a 3rd line defensive pairing and he doesn't belong on a checking line. If Bergeron was playing, I don't see a strong reason to put him in the lineup over Thornton. I just think he's more important than you think as I don't view him as purely a skating clown. If he was a +, I'd say he was productive. He was even, as I thought he would be, scores one but is on the ice for opposing goals. The second goal the Bs scored is irrelevant to me as the game was already over by then.
    Posted by nrguy

So if Ryder had done his job defensively and TB did not score one goal and Seguin came away with a +1 as a result you would have a different opinion?

Monday morning quaterback....lol!!! That is the point of these boards, to express our opinion. If everyone were a sychophant then it would be a pretty boring read.

It is obvious we have a difference of opinion about Seguin, which is the purpose of these boards, and we will not convince the other.

Cheers.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin : "He was on the ice for the Bolts first two goals. Factor that in when you're calling for him to have 15 minuties of TOI." Seguin did nothing wrong on either goal that should limit his TOI and Hedman was not his assignment on the Clark goal Ryder and Ference got worked. You go watch the replay.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Take the blinders off for a moment please. You keep repeating ad nauseum that "it wasnt his assignment". So you must be a fan of "not my guy let him shoot/pass/score even though I can do something about it." He was in the area of BOTH of the shooter/passers for the goals, so that makes it ok for him to not make a play to prevent the goal? Man, you must be a big Ryder fan too huh? Crazy.
    Go B's!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin : Take the blinders off for a moment please. You keep repeating ad nauseum that "it wasnt his assignment". So you must be a fan of "not my guy let him shoot/pass/score even though I can do something about it." He was in the area of BOTH of the shooter/passers for the goals, so that makes it ok for him to not make a play to prevent the goal? Man, you must be a big Ryder fan too huh? Crazy. Go B's!!
    Posted by Sportsnutty

Dude uhhh.. You know much about coaching/forwards positional play?? If seguin abandons his assignment to cover up for Ryder it could just as easily result in Seguins missed assignment scoring the goal instead.

The defenseman should have stepped up earlier and Ryder should have made something that could be called an effort to stop that play from happening.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin : Dude uhhh.. You know much about coaching/forwards positional play?? If seguin abandons his assignment to cover up for Ryder it could just as easily result in Seguins missed assignment scoring the goal instead. The defenseman should have stepped up earlier and Ryder should have made something that could be called an effort to stop that play from happening.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

Dude uhhh..  had you read my previous posts, you would have seen that I had said he was not DIRECTLY responsible for either goal. However, first goal, wasnt his assignment, but the kid flopped in front of Hedman's effort like he had been shot by a rifle. My assessment, it looked like it was the first time he had attempted to block a shot...ever. Second goal, yes Ryder turnstiled his man in the neutral zone, and Seguin had a shot to make a play on the shooter, he floated. My assessment he was second guessing himself and could have made a play, the defenseman should have had the other man. You guys are so defensive  and refuse to see ANY holes in the kid's game. Im saying he needs work defensively. Period. Maybe you're right, Hart Trophy is his! Wow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin : Dude uhhh..  had you read my previous posts, you would have seen that I had said he was not DIRECTLY responsible for either goal. However, first goal, wasnt his assignment, but the kid flopped in front of Hedman's effort like he had been shot by a rifle. My assessment, it looked like it was the first time he had attempted to block a shot...ever. Second goal, yes Ryder turnstiled his man in the neutral zone, and Seguin had a shot to make a play on the shooter, he floated. My assessment he was second guessing himself and could have made a play, the defenseman should have had the other man. You guys are so defensive  and refuse to see ANY holes in the kid's game. Im saying he needs work defensively. Period. Maybe you're right, Hart Trophy is his! Wow.
    Posted by Sportsnutty

Most of us see holes in his game and that's why most of us aren't willing to make up ones that aren't. This thread is 3 pages long and everyone is disagreeing with you. When everyone disagrees with me I start thinking I might not be right. We all know Seguin needs work defensively but he's already better at that than Thornton,who's terrible skating makes him a liability each times his feet touch the ice. I'd rather play a kid that's capable of getting better with the proper guidance.Thornton has peaked I think. Like I said earlier, Seguin was even while both of his linemates were minus. Another example is Marc Savard. He was the worst defensive player on the team but I still wanted him on the PP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I like the Savard reference by dez above.  A good comparison here.  I do agree with a lot of what nrguy is saying in this thread -- Seguin has his drawbacks, sometimes looks lost, and doesn't fit the system that well at this point.  The wonderful rush and goal does nothing to change that.  I wouldn't call his overall game outstanding the other night.  Let's not get carried away.

But...I think he deserves more time because he really does add a dynamic to the offence the way Savard did.  And, you don't have to play him 18 minutes a night like Savard -- stick him on the wing on the 3rd/4th line and then give him some PP time.  Savard was always a defensive liability and he played first line center.  If Seguin hustles, he should be able to limit the defensive concerns, and he is simply a better 2-way player than Thronton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I like the Savard reference by dez above.  A good comparison here.  I do agree with a lot of what nrguy is saying in this thread -- Seguin has his drawbacks, sometimes looks lost, and doesn't fit the system that well at this point.  The wonderful rush and goal does nothing to change that.  I wouldn't call his overall game outstanding the other night.  Let's not get carried away. But...I think he deserves more time because he really does add a dynamic to the offence the way Savard did.  And, you don't have to play him 18 minutes a night like Savard -- stick him on the wing on the 3rd/4th line and then give him some PP time.  Savard was always a defensive liability and he played first line center.  If Seguin hustles, he should be able to limit the defensive concerns, and he is simply a better 2-way player than Thronton.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch - Good points, all.  Earlier today I heard the Hockey Central trio of Kypreos, McLean and doofus Darren Millard also reference Savard as the element the PP is dearly missing; a down low guy, someone who can orchestrate things close to the net. 

When Millard suggested Bergeron, McLean shot that down.  Said Bergeron is more of a "complimentary" player rather than the finisher.  Kypreos rhetorically suggested to Julien that sometimes a coach has to "stray from the script and call an audible once in a while" with regards to the use of Seguin on the PP because the club had nothing to lose with the present state of the extra man advantage. 

He, too, was surprised Seguin's play didn't warrant him more ice time as he seemed to be the only Bruin with any sense of offensive threat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin : Take the blinders off for a moment please. You keep repeating that "it wasnt his assignment". Man, you must be a big Ryder fan too huh? Crazy. Go B's!!Posted by Sportsnutty

Umm Dude, As you like to put it If Seguin leaves his assignment that leaves his man open Chum! You need to put some blinders on let someone read the rules of back checking to you because you don't understand not leaving your assignment for any reason it breaks down your defense....

You haven't been on her enough to know I hate Micheal Ryder so I'll excuse you. It doesn't matter anyway nutjob because Julien will park Seguin back in the stands in favor of Glyder and Thorts when Bergy comes back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

This is so not a Seguin bashing thread, as Ive said enough superlatives about him... but This thread is over for me. There is no talking to you guys on this one. Really, check out the replay www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjS7hL0dj0 27 seconds in with Tyler sliding on his backside to "block" the shot. Where is the "assignment" there? Or47 seconds in, where is his assignment there? Maybe Im wrong. Maybe youre right.
    Go B'S!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

I hope Seguin continues to develop.  We need him to create some buzz.  If not, this series could be over quickly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

He's hungry

It's impossible not to be optimistic about him after what we witnesed. He even got in the faces of a few ppl, if you notice the scrums.

I expected nothing from him at first (too early, I thought), but have changed my tune. He's hungry.

More Tyler please.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Granted, the skill displayed in his goal was only a glimpse of what he can do.  He didn't play enough afterwards to even see if that play was indicative of his capabilities if given the chance. 

From here on in, I hope his performances force Julien into some tough decisions, not regarding the inclusion of Bergeron but perhaps the exclusion of someone else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

Well he's the only guy on the ice capable of outskating Tampa and doing something with the puck. He also carried the puck from end to end and got a shot on goal last game.

Oh, and with about 7 minutes left, he got a beautiful would-be shot on goal, thanks to the space created by Johnny (before he took the penalty). Only problem was, Marchy wasn't watching and he blocked the shot.

A 3-2 game with 7 minutes to go would have been... nice.

Impossible to avoid the Tyler optimism.

Watch the footage.

http://youtube.com/theoryneutral

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from noudidnt. Show noudidnt's posts

We're lucky/spoiled at the same time around these parts....unfort for CJ, we've all witnessed some of the greatest coaching decisions around in BB....He puts his players in the best position to use their skill sets (i.e. Woodhead and welker in space)....he doesn't force his players to play a system, he adapts the system to their abilities....We learned the value of this when Parcells let Bledsoe sling em, instead of ground and pound after 1 year w M. Butts.
    I feel CJ needs to learn this lesson, meaning pick your spots where Seguin can help: PP....down a couple of goals....or some spot shifts with 2nd line.  He obviously needs to get creative....Don't blindly reward the kid with a ton of ice time but play him where he is most comfortable, situationally.  I read the Tampa coach got his masters in Sports Psych....wonder if Claude could get some cliff notes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

Boucher has all the intellectual profundity of Dr. Phil. MSc in sports psychology -- lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Well he's the only guy on the ice capable of outskating Tampa and doing something with the puck. He also carried the puck from end to end and got a shot on goal last game. Oh, and with about 7 minutes left, he got a beautiful would-be shot on goal, thanks to the space created by Johnny (before he took the penalty). Only problem was, Marchy wasn't watching and he blocked the shot. A 3-2 game with 7 minutes to go would have been... nice. Impossible to avoid the Tyler optimism. Watch the footage. http://youtube.com/theoryneutral
    Posted by Bruins-Unite

Thanks for the vid. I'll add that the reason that Boychuk got such a clean hit was because Tyler nudged the puck just enough to cause Gagne to focus on collecting it rather than keeping his head up or just chipping it off the boards.

That's not the kind of hustle play this team needs, though. It's not "grinding" enough, you know? It was like Tyler was not only focused on getting the puck, but he was also focused on getting shots off towards the net, and that's just not how this team rolls. Once Tyler learns how to throw a wet blanket over Bruin scoring chances, how to hold the puck too long and always, always make the safe play back to the point, then he can be considered for a regular shift and maybe even some power play time. Not before.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

but This thread is over for me. There is no talking to you guys on this one. Really, check out the replay www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqjS7hL0dj0 27 seconds in with Tyler sliding on his backside to "block" the shot. Where is the "assignment" there? Or47 seconds in, where is his assignment there? Maybe Im wrong. Maybe youre right. Go B'S!
    Posted by Sportsnutty

You're getting upset becuase some posters are questioning why you think Tyler had a part in the responsibility of the two goals he was on the ice for so much so your searching the plays for mistakes. Seguin went out to block the shot and Bergenheim was simply not his assignment I do not find fault in this. Siedenberg kicked the puck right to #47 why don't you call that out ?

Sections
Shortcuts