Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Seguin

He's done nothing this year.  This worries me because even though has all the tools, skill and speed he doesn't seem to have the hockey smarts like a Krejci or Marchand.  All he does is try to do everything at full speed and runs into a brick wall.  Thats not going to work in the NHL when the opposing teams know what you are going to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Seguin

Take a look around the league.  Lots of guys off to slow starts.  Hes getting chances and if that wasnt happening i still wouldnt worry.  He has amazing skill and is going to be a franchise player.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Take a look around the league.  Lots of guys off to slow starts.  Hes getting chances and if that wasnt happening i still wouldnt worry.  He has amazing skill and is going to be a franchise player.  

Hope so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

it started with him being very snakebit. it's turned into frustration and trying to do too much. it's happened to a thousand players before him. sooner or later a bounce or two will go his way. he'll score a big goal, and all of a sudden his confidence will be back. he'll trust in himself to make the right decision. Right now he's forcing it. this too shall pass

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

i guess it's okay while the team is winning... but if a losing streak hits, fans will be far less forgiving!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It'll be a problem if this sort of play lasts three years.

Right now, it's no big deal at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Actually, last night it looked as though he had just returned from a big night out after the Buffalo win. He is not as alert as he can be, nor as solid on his stick. Growing pains ? Maybe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

it started with him being very snakebit. it's turned into frustration and trying to do too much. it's happened to a thousand players before him. sooner or later a bounce or two will go his way. he'll score a big goal, and all of a sudden his confidence will be back. he'll trust in himself to make the right decision. Right now he's forcing it. this too shall pass

Exactly what I was gonna say. The only issue I have with Seguin is his physicality. He definitely gives way in the corners. He tries to make it look like he is gonna go for some contact, but always spins around or does something to avoid it all together. I know being physical is not Seguin's game, but even Krecji does his part to be physical. Its part of the game and he needs to step it up a little in that area. Just a little.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If I may ( thanks Wheat ). In junior, he was a player who would have stretches of being very quiet. Then bang, he'd be on fire. 

So far as an NHLer I see no change.

As Bruins fans we all would like him to be a "franchise player". Franchise players bring their "A" games on most nights . They are usually the best players on the ice night after night.

He is not.

But it doesn't mean he can't develop into that type a player. He's still learning and improving. ( Think of his first year to where he's at now ).

Presently he could be categorized as a "core player" with the ability to become that franchise player we all want him to be. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Wait a minute.  You guys aren't seeing what he's doing right.  Try counting how many times he breaks up plays on his forecheck.  I rarely see anyone do that - ever.  Yet he manages to do that a couple of times a game at least.  This is WAY under rated.  It takes away offense time from the other time, it gives the Bruins another opportunity on offense.  It's huge.  IT'S HUGE.

Second, he needs an adjustment period.  I was going to mention that I felt he was trying to mesmerize guys too much with his stickhandling - which is very good, but it seemed that he wanted to beat guys such that he left them flatfooted and would go in from there, you know, turn them inside out and walk in.  Maybe he can do that, he probably has the skills, but he's not using his speed.  I think this is what Matts is noticing because it's full speed and then slows up in front of the d as he attempts puck magic.  He should focus more on just blowing past guys, he's the type who could just bounce it off the wall and win the foot race.  Maybe it's psychological as he clearly isn't afraid to get into traffic and he doesn't want to be known as a perimeter type of player.  ---> The reason I didn't mention it is because the last couple of games he seems to be adjusting to it.

Boston1646 has picked up on this, but is interpreting this as 'forcing' his play.

I am very strong in my opinion that he's finding his game at an elite level.  His job was simpler in the past and now he has more to do, there's more decision making.

I don't think 'this will pass' - I think we're seeing a learning experience.

Where I see this will all lead;

1) he will be a consistent 30 goal scorer (or in the neighborhood), and this will be misleading as his forechecking really does change the game.

2) we will see him jump to the next level.

OK, you might say I'm full of beans and hot air, but focus on him more on that forecheck and you will see what I mean.  It's not a 'game changer' type of thing so it's not obvious, what it is a 'game contoller' type of thing which is not so obvious, but it is actually better.  He either gives them another offensive opportunity or disrupts their breakout.  This is enormous and being overlooked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think he's still adjusting back to the smaller ice surface. He's missing the extra room he had where he could utilize his speed to go around guys one on one. He sometimes looks like Samsonov used to when he tried stickhandling too much. I think he needs to try pushing the puck ahead & use his straight away speed to get to the puck. I did see him shying away from contact a little more last nite though. I think that jolt in Buffalo may have hurt a bit, hence the reason he needed a maintenance day. One thing I have noticed is that he's lost zip on his shot. It's like it transformed into Marchand, because he's turning out into a real sniper. He's beaten 2 of the better goalies on the planet in Miller & Lundqvist with that release. When Seguin finds his again it's going to be a beautiful thing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I know a lot of people were frustrated with stampkos at first.  He then grew up, dedicated himself and now is the best goal scorer out there.  I think his maturity level is the issue, not the skill.  Im with chowda that he has the tools.  But he has to find that game in game out consistancy.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Wait a minute.  You guys aren't seeing what he's doing right.  Try counting how many times he breaks up plays on his forecheck.  I rarely see anyone do that - ever.  Yet he manages to do that a couple of times a game at least.  This is WAY under rated.  It takes away offense time from the other time, it gives the Bruins another opportunity on offense.  It's huge.  IT'S HUGE.

Second, he needs an adjustment period.  I was going to mention that I felt he was trying to mesmerize guys too much with his stickhandling - which is very good, but it seemed that he wanted to beat guys such that he left them flatfooted and would go in from there, you know, turn them inside out and walk in.  Maybe he can do that, he probably has the skills, but he's not using his speed.  I think this is what Matts is noticing because it's full speed and then slows up in front of the d as he attempts puck magic.  He should focus more on just blowing past guys, he's the type who could just bounce it off the wall and win the foot race.  Maybe it's psychological as he clearly isn't afraid to get into traffic and he doesn't want to be known as a perimeter type of player.  ---> The reason I didn't mention it is because the last couple of games he seems to be adjusting to it.

Boston1646 has picked up on this, but is interpreting this as 'forcing' his play.

I am very strong in my opinion that he's finding his game at an elite level.  His job was simpler in the past and now he has more to do, there's more decision making.

I don't think 'this will pass' - I think we're seeing a learning experience.

Where I see this will all lead;

1) he will be a consistent 30 goal scorer (or in the neighborhood), and this will be misleading as his forechecking really does change the game.

2) we will see him jump to the next level.

OK, you might say I'm full of beans and hot air, but focus on him more on that forecheck and you will see what I mean.  It's not a 'game changer' type of thing so it's not obvious, what it is a 'game contoller' type of thing which is not so obvious, but it is actually better.  He either gives them another offensive opportunity or disrupts their breakout.  This is enormous and being overlooked.

Watch much hockey ? Sheesh ! False ! Wrong ! Notta ! Nope !

But I do agree with your second point. Bravo ! Brilliant Observation ! Bang on !

The rest ? TLDR

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Who else has that forechecking ability who can pull that off with the consistency of Seguin?

re: point 1.  OK, it was an exaggeration to say that no one else does it, but I think it's reasonable to say that it's typically not more than twice a game.  Seguin seems to do it nearly every shift.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Ummm... forechecking ability ? Really ?

Lots of fore

Not so much check

He checks like a stuntman or someone from the WWF

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Lots of fore

Not so much check

WWE.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Forechecking as in breaking up plays when the other team takes possesion of the puck, not forechecking in the sense of hitting people on dump ins.  Hitting isn't the point, breaking up the play is.

I can see this is way underestimated and way underrated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think he looks excellent, though a little frutrated by the tight D of the NHL.  I think he got a little used to the open game in the swiss league.  But he looks stronger and more physical than in the past, and his speed keeps teams honest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to JWensink's comment:

Lots of fore

Not so much check

WWE.  

I'm old school, wrestling ended with the WWF

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

a) He's a plus 8 right now.  the highest on the team.

b) He's 6th in scoring on the team.

I add together (a) and (b) and conclude he must be doing something to influence that plus 8.

Unless you want to argue that the plus 8 has nothing to do with him, and in that case I say bs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Forechecking as in breaking up plays when the other team takes possesion of the puck, not forechecking in the sense of hitting people on dump ins.  Hitting isn't the point, breaking up the play is.

I can see this is way underestimated and way underrated.

BH

How about finishing a check on in the offensive zone? Or throwing a shoulder into a dman when establishing the fore check or trying to win a puck battle? It's all stick work and embellishment. Love his skill, but starting to go down the Alex Semin road. It sounds like you're describing his back checking ability, which I would describe as adequate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I always have thought of Seguin as a Joe Sakic type player. And that is very high compliment. This is my opinion, so do with as you please.

When you compare Joe's point totals to Tylers, clearly Sakic's numbers are better. However, look at the +-. Sakic was horrible in his first 3 years. -36, -40, -26. If Seguin was given the green light to play just offense then maybe there is a reason for concern. But we all know that within a Juilian system that is just not going to happen.

Far too early to get worried about this. His 2 way play is exceptional, and he is getting points. Maybe it is a maturity thing, maybe it's just close but no cigar. But you do notice him out there, and he is getting opportunities. 8 points in 11 games so far, and last night he was held pointless, but was still a +1. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He was flying the first few games, but couldn't finish. Now he's looking kinda lost and frustrated. Like some have said, if the team's record wasn't as good as it is, it would be more of an issue. He needs to step up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

At 6'1" and 182 lbs he is the 6th lightest on the team behind TR, Spooner, Khudo, Krecji and Bourque.  Marchand is 5'9" and 190.  the little ball of hate is a bowling ball as 190 is a lot to fit into that frame.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

fer chrissakes plus 8.  Highest on the team.  Wake the f up people.

Sections
Shortcuts