Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Seguin

Question ?   Would he produce any more if the Bruins played him at his natural postion at center ?  I also remember Seguin twittered "I hope they watch that one", when he was playing in the Swiss league with Patrice before the lock out finished. It was in referance to his short handed goal he scored. The coach over there was playing him on the PK. I guess they liked his speed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

agreed.  I think he would be outstanding on the pk.  but then you're going to have him out there on pp and pk?  That's a lot of ice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think JW actually did mean the WWF - you know, that Seguin is playing like a wildlife conservationist who would rather keep George The Animal Steele in the wild than in a circus.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

Question ?   Would he produce any more if the Bruins played him at his natural postion at center ?  I also remember Seguin twittered "I hope they watch that one", when he was playing in the Swiss league with Patrice before the lock out finished. It was in referance to his short handed goal he scored. The coach over there was playing him on the PK. I guess they liked his speed.

Seems odd CJ would not try this. Imagine, a player with Paille-like speed that can actually score. Impossible as this may sound....:)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've written this before, but I'll do it again because I think it's part of what BadHab is getting at.  Seguin keeps flying in on the forecheck and intercepting that little set up pass teams use when there's only one guy coming in.  You almost never see someone make that play but Seguin's been doing it regularly.  Key word is intercepting.  He's not taking the body to steal the puck; he's just out-skating that old saw that you can't skate as fast as the puck moves.

The problem is that he then panics and just chucks the puck into space.  Same thing in a number of areas of his game - when he has time or space, he doesn't seem to take it, or when he does, he makes the wrong decision.  That suggests the confidence/trying to hard explanation has some merit.

Stamkos simplifies his life by being a sniper more than a distributor.  He knows what he wants to do when he gets the chance.  Seguin might benefit from more of a "put your head down and rip it" approach - especially on the PP - until the puck starts going in for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I know a lot of people were frustrated with stampkos at first.  He then grew up, dedicated himself and now is the best goal scorer out there.  I think his maturity level is the issue, not the skill.  Im with chowda that he has the tools.  But he has to find that game in game out consistancy.  

Agree on the Stamkos comparison...although Steve didn't look like much a goal scorer last night in the Shootout against Carey Price.     >:(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Forechecking as in breaking up plays when the other team takes possesion of the puck, not forechecking in the sense of hitting people on dump ins.  Hitting isn't the point, breaking up the play is.

I can see this is way underestimated and way underrated.

Have you ever heard of Patrice Bergeron? He breaks up plays on the forecheck multiple times per period. Seguin is getting much better at it though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Forechecking as in breaking up plays when the other team takes possesion of the puck, not forechecking in the sense of hitting people on dump ins.  Hitting isn't the point, breaking up the play is.

I can see this is way underestimated and way underrated.

Have you ever heard of Patrice Bergeron? He breaks up plays on the forecheck multiple times per period. Seguin is getting much better at it though.

Best two way fwd in hockey.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Dez and Shupe agreed?

I third that as well. Datsyuk is either tied or a close second.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Would we like to see him with 6-7 goals by now, sure.

But he's still contributing plenty and CJ has him playing well in all 3 zones.

An offensive breakthrough is only a matter of time.

I like the comparison that Stamkos started to excel when he began to simplify. I am noticing the same thing with Tavares. Seguin will be at or between the levels of these 2 before long.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, for a bunch of you people - not all, but for a bunch of you  - let me point something out to you.

Tyler Seguin is not Cam Neely

Tyler Seguin is Tyler Seguin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Ill take his offensive production bcs of his responsibility on d, he can be a 60pt guy all day long if he is a plus 20 or higher every year. He is a solid two way player fits perfect into the boston scheme if he plays in Edmonton he could put up a pt a game as well but he wouldn't be responsible on d just like their young forwards.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Dez and Shupe agreed?

I third that as well. Datsyuk is either tied or a close second.

Look at the names being used to compare Seguin - Bergeron and Datsyuk.

Can someone show me some stats on forechecking skill?

I'm not disputing Bergeron's forechecking ability, but on an *impression* level that I have it seems to be that Seguin is leading the team in that category.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I've written this before, but I'll do it again because I think it's part of what BadHab is getting at.  Seguin keeps flying in on the forecheck and intercepting that little set up pass teams use when there's only one guy coming in.  You almost never see someone make that play but Seguin's been doing it regularly.  Key word is intercepting.  He's not taking the body to steal the puck; he's just out-skating that old saw that you can't skate as fast as the puck moves.

The problem is that he then panics and just chucks the puck into space.  Same thing in a number of areas of his game - when he has time or space, he doesn't seem to take it, or when he does, he makes the wrong decision.  That suggests the confidence/trying to hard explanation has some merit.

Stamkos simplifies his life by being a sniper more than a distributor.  He knows what he wants to do when he gets the chance.  Seguin might benefit from more of a "put your head down and rip it" approach - especially on the PP - until the puck starts going in for him.

Yes, and good point about panic mode.  And about time and space I think he is improving in that area.

My prediction is that he is going to start putting these pieces together relatively quickly.

Every year of Tyler's NHL career thus far we've seen a much improved player from the beginning of the season to the end.

The issues we've seen aren't lack of skills but lack of judgement, experience and confidence.  IMO these things are easier to acquire with the right work ethic and attitude over skill and speed.  Lookit Kessel.  He's exactly the same player he was when the Bruins traded him.  Plus he's the only "proven 40 goal scorer" never to have scored 40 goals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I absolutely have to agree with BadHab here - are we all watching the same player? There's room for improvement, and he's slightly snake bitten scoring wise right now, but it's what he's doing without the puck on his stick that is really impressing me. He's making those forecheck plays 3,4 or 5 times a night. It's one of the hardest and most beneficial plays in hockey and he's pulling it off consistantly. I also think a lot of you are overlooking his prowess with the pokecheck. Like BadHab said he's not Cam Neely, and he doesn't have to be when he can use his stick on the puck instead of the body. The way his pokecheck is constantly improving he could very well become the best Black and Gold player in regards to that skill set since Nifty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

He was flying the first few games, but couldn't finish. Now he's looking kinda lost and frustrated. Like some have said, if the team's record wasn't as good as it is, it would be more of an issue. He needs to step up.

He gives the old hade fake,defence doesn't fall for it than looses puck,i wander if they switched him with Bergeron,Bergeron i think could play the wing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I absolutely have to agree with BadHab here - are we all watching the same player? There's room for improvement, and he's slightly snake bitten scoring wise right now, but it's what he's doing without the puck on his stick that is really impressing me. He's making those forecheck plays 3,4 or 5 times a night. It's one of the hardest and most beneficial plays in hockey and he's pulling it off consistantly. I also think a lot of you are overlooking his prowess with the pokecheck. Like BadHab said he's not Cam Neely, and he doesn't have to be when he can use his stick on the puck instead of the body. The way his pokecheck is constantly improving he could very well become the best Black and Gold player in regards to that skill set since Nifty.

I agree with you guys. These same posters who complain that Seguin isn't hitting enough aren't able to see the big picture. There were a few passes he was able to pick off last night only because he hung back slightly with his stick in the lane instead of simply going for the body check. Shawn Thornton was credited with 6 hits last night. Only 2 of them were even memorable in any way. One was memorable because he gave Gilroy a decent pop and the other sticks out due to the fact that he took himself so far out of position to make it that it allowed Nash the time and space to easily set up the first goal. Bottom line is that Thornton had 6 hits while Seguin had zero yet Tyler was still infinitely more useful in securing the one point last night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

No worries here...........Only how old?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

In response to mxt's comment:

He gives the old hade fake,defence doesn't fall for it than looses puck,i wander if they switched him with Bergeron,Bergeron i think could play the wing.

I was thinking that myself. I imagine Bergeron could be a very successful wing. At the same time they all rotate so often that does it really matter what position they are in for the faceoff?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Dez, I wonder sometimes if a lot of fans forget what the whole point of checking is in hockey - as much as we may like the big hits, physical punishment is not the point of a check, it's separating the player from the puck and trying to force a change in possession. Like your example with Thornton, the hits don't matter if it pulls a player out of position, does not lead to a turnover, or worst of all leads to a scoring opportunity for the opponent.

As long as Seguin can force the opposition to turnover the puck, I  don't care what type of check he uses. If watching lanes or pokechecking is what works for him, then I say let him use that style

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I was thinking that myself. I imagine Bergeron could be a very successful wing. At the same time they all rotate so often that does it really matter what position they are in for the faceoff?

You can't take a guy who's got a 63-64% face off rate away from the draws. Unless you're going to let Bergeron take all the draws then switch with Seguin afterwards. Someone out there tell me if they know. Didn't one of the teams that Yanic Perreault play for do this? I thought it was when he was with the Canadiens, but maybe it was LA. It was during the play-offs though. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, I wonder sometimes if a lot of fans forget what the whole point of checking is in hockey - as much as we may like the big hits, physical punishment is not the point of a check, it's separating the player from the puck and trying to force a change in possession. Like your example with Thornton, the hits don't matter if it pulls a player out of position, does not lead to a turnover, or worst of all leads to a scoring opportunity for the opponent.

As long as Seguin can force the opposition to turnover the puck, I  don't care what type of check he uses. If watching lanes or pokechecking is what works for him, then I say let him use that style

Red, you nailed it. Getting the puck back from the opposition is the main objective. It's hard to score without it. I see Bergeron often turning away from finishing checks simply because he realizes his energy is better spent in getting himself back in better position defensively. Lay big hits only when it's the right play, not just because you can.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Sometimes physical punishment can cause future turnovers.  If Lucic hurts a dman on a forecheck, that dman is more likely to hurry his play on the next dump-in when Lucic is on the ice.  That could cause a turnover.

I agree with you about Seguin though.  He is much more effective with his stick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Red, you nailed it. Getting the puck back from the opposition is the main objective. It's hard to score without it. I see Bergeron often turning away from finishing checks simply because he realizes his energy is better spent in getting himself back in better position defensively. Lay big hits only when it's the right play, not just because you can.

Hitting is an art, as is putting your stick in the right position to block an advancement against the other team. Axcellson was a master at it. Bergeron can do both, but hemakes the right decision 90% of the time. On his break away was the prime example. He was moving backwards until the player did a little wind up, then he stopped & poked the puck away & was gone. Now if that was Seguin he would've been really gone. Maybe not as fast as Gaborik, but he's close.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I expect Seguin to break out any game now. That said, seems 4 or 5 times a game he comes flying into the offensive zone by himself trying to go wide and snap off a shot. it just keep s getting blocked or he misses. Somethings off..Too good of a player, he'll fix it, and when he does the points are going to come in bunches.