Seguin=Pavel Bure.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Seguin=Pavel Bure.........

I was trying to think of a past/current player that Seguin reminds me of and Pavel is the guy I settled on. Both guys have good shots and speed to burn. Some guys can be fancy and stickhandle around the D, some guys can chip it to the outside and outskate the D. Bure and Seguin are players that can beat a D in any way it takes. Most players need to slow down in order to stickhandle but Bure and Seguin are both capable of making moves at top speed. It's way easier said than done. Just ask Paille......Anyway, that's who I see when I watch Seguin. Who, if anyone, does Tyler remind you of?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Re: Seguin=Pavel Bure.........

Not to be rude or anything, but could we please stop with the comparisons to really good former/current players until he actually does put up top-of-the-line point totals? Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Originally, I thought Steve Yzerman. But, I think he will be better than Steve Yzerman because he'll be bigger and stronger.

Now, I'm thinking Sergei Federov (physically) and Steve Yzerman (mentally).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

good thoughts above. Seguin's skills, even though we have only been exposed to small bites, are more than we have seen since Adam Oates, and this " KID" is just 19 going toward 20. Any doubter should never plan to be a scout or coach. I'm not enamored with Claude's restraints, during this past season, when he could have easily used Seguin to replace Slyder on most nights. Still, Seguin has bought into Claude's defensive commitments for forwards, and, with his speed, can swiftly transition between offense and defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Scouts say that Tyler reminds them of a young Yzerman or Paul Stasny. I say because Seguin doesn't have that initial burst of speed that the Rocket had he reminds me of Alexander Mogilny a little more (before all the injuries). Alexander also didn't have the Bure jets but had deadly Shot, elusiveness, being able to get a quick accurate strike in not time and ice awareness points me to #89.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

"Not to be rude or anything, but could we please stop with the comparisons to really good former/current players until he actually does put up top-of-the-line point totals? Thanks"

My thread quote isn't working today, but I agree with this. Let's see Seguin put up 30 goals 40 assists before comparing him to former stars. I see that happening, the 70-90 points but it'll take some time for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin=Pavel Bure.........:
    [QUOTE]Not to be rude or anything, but could we please stop with the comparisons to really good former/current players until he actually does put up top-of-the-line point totals? Thanks.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]
    Feel free to ignore the posts and the fact Seguin has a record that no other former or current player has(only teenager to have a 4 point period in the playoffs). Not to be rude or anything but who made you click on this thread?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Ok...I'm as much a fan as the next guy, but what's this massive "skill" that you guys are seeing that I'm not? Don't get me wrong, I think Seguin will be an excellent player only by virtue of the fact that he was not a major liability at the NHL level while just about anyone else his age would have been. He had flashes. His talent in practice settings reveals that he does have a great skill set for his age.

But as far as game-condition skill goes, I didn't consistently see vision, amazing passes, quick release, ability to win puck battles, etc. Apart from 6 shifts in one Tampa series game, I never saw him elevate the game of his linemates. I didn't see him make amazing backchecking plays or impose his will on the opposing defence. There certainly were glimpses of all this, but in a vacuum if it weren't Seguin with all his pedigree, what would we honestly say about the player we saw on the ice last year?

I hope more than anything else he finds a way to demand a top-6 position next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up in the upper-echelon of NHL players one day. But to compare him with any of these guys so far doesn't hold true for me. If the discussion was Marchand reminds us of Linseman, then I see it. But Seguin reminds us of Bure or Yzerman? I don't see it. Not yet anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Ok...I'm as much a fan as the next guy, but what's this massive "skill" that you guys are seeing that I'm not? Don't get me wrong, I think Seguin will be an excellent player only by virtue of the fact that he was not a major liability at the NHL level while just about anyone else his age would have been. He had flashes. His talent in practice settings reveals that he does have a great skill set for his age. But as far as game-condition skill goes, I didn't consistently see vision, amazing passes, quick release, ability to win puck battles, etc. Apart from 6 shifts in one Tampa series game, I never saw him elevate the game of his linemates. I didn't see him make amazing backchecking plays or impose his will on the opposing defence. There certainly were glimpses of all this, but in a vacuum if it weren't Seguin with all his pedigree, what would we honestly say about the player we saw on the ice last year? I hope more than anything else he finds a way to demand a top-6 position next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up in the upper-echelon of NHL players one day. But to compare him with any of these guys so far doesn't hold true for me. If the discussion was Marchand reminds us of Linseman, then I see it. But Seguin reminds us of Bure or Yzerman? I don't see it. Not yet anyway.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    Talk to me a month into the season if the 2 games he won against T-Bay wasn't enough for you. I don't know what it is with you guys trying to downplay his contribution. Let me guess, are you another one of the guys who thinks Shawn Thornton brought more to the table than Seguin?   BTW, if Seguin played with some finishers, his assist total would've been considerably higher.Answer me this Asmaha, is Seguin fast like Bure? Does Seguin fire the puck like Bure? Can he stickhandle as well or better than Bure? If you answer yes to 1 or more of these questions than you should stop asking why comparisons are being made. Nobody's saying Seguin is better than Bure or Stevie Y. It's simply a way to pass time when this forum is worse than boring. I mean 1 of this weeks most poular threads was by Cactus Tony so forgive me for trying to switch things up a bit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I said it early last season (when everyone here was saying it was too early to project for a player), and I am sticking with it, though I do feel better about the comparison player than I did previously...

Tyler Seguin is....JASON SPEZZA!

Point producing machine but will be a bit inconsistent. The Tampa series epitomized this.

However, did you know that amongst players drafted since 1996, there have only been 11 point-per-game players AND Jason Spezza is one of them (so is Jumbo Joe).

EDIT: It might only be 10 now since Kovalchuk struggled mightly last season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to Seguin=Pavel Bure.........:
    [QUOTE]I was trying to think of a past/current player that Seguin reminds me of and Pavel is the guy I settled on. Both guys have good shots and speed to burn. Some guys can be fancy and stickhandle around the D, some guys can chip it to the outside and outskate the D. Bure and Seguin are players that can beat a D in any way it takes. Most players need to slow down in order to stickhandle but Bure and Seguin are both capable of making moves at top speed. It's way easier said than done. Just ask Paille......Anyway, that's who I see when I watch Seguin. Who, if anyone, does Tyler remind you of?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

No one can compare to Tyler Seguin ...in a few years from now lots of players will wish they could compare to : Tyler Segin ...watch him next season ...WATCH OUT ...that is why the B's will win 3 Cups in a row
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

^^^ Hillarious picture.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I like the kid, ton of skill.....but to compare to Bure is a good one, but Yzerman I think he has a LONG way to go!!!  Yzerman put up 100+ point seasons for years, learned to play the two-way game & still potted 80+ a year; was a captain for stanley cup teams, HOF player; lets pump the brakes on Seguin for a few years....he has the natural ability, hopefully he develops/matures into these comparisons as we'll have many more parades to attend!!

Someone mentioned he doesnt have a quick release, WOW as I thought this (and his overall speed) are his top two skills!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

OK, as the Canucks fan on this board, I've got to take some issue with the Seguin-Bure comparison.  Pavel scored 34 goals in his rookie season; Seguin had 11. 

I was there at his first game vs. the Jets in November of 91 (he didn't even have a training camp with the Canucks in his first year), and even though he didn't score, he blew through the entire Jets team on several end-to-end rushes, and had the crowd on their feet every time.

Seguin's good, no doubt, and perhaps one can make the case that his "toolbox" of hockey skills makes him a candidate to one day be as good as Bure.  It's like watching the NHL draft, and when they describe each draftee, they compare him to a player "... he's like Patrick Marleau.." for example.  But they're only describing physical type, style of play, basic hockey skills.  Longevity is the true mark of greatness.

Just for fun, I found TSN's Top 10 Bure goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VlMjeLXbw

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]OK, as the Canucks fan on this board, I've got to take some issue with the Seguin-Bure comparison.  Pavel scored 34 goals in his rookie season; Seguin had 11.  I was there at his first game vs. the Jets in November of 91 (he didn't even have a training camp with the Canucks in his first year), and even though he didn't score, he blew through the entire Jets team on several end-to-end rushes, and had the crowd on their feet every time. Seguin's good, no doubt, and perhaps one can make the case that his "toolbox" of hockey skills makes him a candidate to one day be as good as Bure.  It's like watching the NHL draft, and when they describe each draftee, they compare him to a player "... he's like Patrick Marleau.." for example.  But they're only describing physical type, style of play, basic hockey skills.  Longevity is the true mark of greatness. Just for fun, I found TSN's Top 10 Bure goals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VlMjeLXbw
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    Now you see where I was going with this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Seguin=Pavel Bure.........:[QUOTE]OK, as the Canucks fan on this board, I've got to take some issue with the Seguin-Bure comparison.  Pavel scored 34 goals in his rookie season; Seguin had 11. Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Bure was 21 years old when he scored 34 goals, Seguin was 19 when he scored 11. Pavel played on "Central Red Army" in the KHL with men for 4 years before the NHL. That league is a step above the AHL and OHL IMO not the greatest of comparisons.

It's what scouts say Tyler reminds them of in aspects of their games...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Yes a thousand times on the toolbox analysis. And I get the summer doldrums comment as well. I don't have issue with the conversation at all....it's a good a topic as any. My biggest issue comes in the application of those talents we know he has. Unlike Bure, we really didn't get to see Seguin blow past an entire team over and over again, or make 3-4 beautiful passes per game, or make anyone around him better. The guy had 11 goals, and naturally a lot of it can be attributed to how he was handled by the coach.

But I know I'm in the minority on this one. I'm the guy that would look at Samsonov and Thornton and say after their first year that Sergei was the better player. It's what happens on the ice, in game conditions, that I personally need to see before making comparison. The draft analysis stuff annoys me, but that's just me.

He was a major contributer, no doubt about it. More than Thornton, of course. I love the player and think he's going to be a star. I'm simply stating that I don't think he was very effective in showcasing/applying those top skills he has. He'll learn to create time and space for himself, and then we'll see some magic. Hopefully as early as this coming year. But last year? VERY admirable that he kept up, but I rarely got the sense that he was lethal out there. Bure was lethal, as early as his rookie season.

I don't even know is Seguin will be in the top 6 next year. It's debatable, at least. What do you guys think?

Peace and love...and the topic is great. Thanks for starting it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

i love the comparisons to other players, its just good hockey talk during the off season, no harm no foul.  you saw how he played when he got his chance against t bay=awesome, for two games then zilch! so i hope he is motivated to bust balls next year or the year after i'll wait i think his up side unlimited. that being said he reminds me of Gilbert perreault from buffalo in the 70's the speed the stick handling,passing and scoring. i love the KID, i hope he becomes THE MAN  soon and plays for the b's for 20 yrs!p.s play him at center from now on let him grow , 3rd line l c r=  KELLY SEGUIN CARON?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I don't think Tyler will be in the top six next year.  Maybe by the end of the season he may start pushing for the open spot with Bergy/Marchy - maybe only on the power plays.

What excited me watching Seguin during the playoffs was seeing him shed his on-ice fear.  Almost the entire season he looked afraid when he had the puck or it was coming his way.  But really against Tampa and the Nucks he didn't look that way - at least to my eyes.

When I watch him play he doesn't really remind me of any other player - at least yet...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yes a thousand times on the toolbox analysis. And I get the summer doldrums comment as well. I don't have issue with the conversation at all....it's a good a topic as any. My biggest issue comes in the application of those talents we know he has. Unlike Bure, we really didn't get to see Seguin blow past an entire team over and over again, or make 3-4 beautiful passes per game, or make anyone around him better. The guy had 11 goals, and naturally a lot of it can be attributed to how he was handled by the coach. But I know I'm in the minority on this one. I'm the guy that would look at Samsonov and Thornton and say after their first year that Sergei was the better player. It's what happens on the ice, in game conditions, that I personally need to see before making comparison. The draft analysis stuff annoys me, but that's just me. He was a major contributer, no doubt about it. More than Thornton, of course. I love the player and think he's going to be a star. I'm simply stating that I don't think he was very effective in showcasing/applying those top skills he has. He'll learn to create time and space for himself, and then we'll see some magic. Hopefully as early as this coming year. But last year? VERY admirable that he kept up, but I rarely got the sense that he was lethal out there. Bure was lethal, as early as his rookie season. I don't even know is Seguin will be in the top 6 next year. It's debatable, at least. What do you guys think? Peace and love...and the topic is great. Thanks for starting it!
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    OK, now it's on!...........just joking Asmaha, you're alright.The summer heat makes me less bearable(so my lady tells me) so sorry for my being so defensive Regarding Seguin in the top 6, I think the slot with Bergeron and Marchand is his to win or lose. If he is willing to outwork the others in camp(I suspect he will) then I think that's where we'll see him start the year. I couldn't think of a better spot for him although I didn't mind seeing him paired with Peverly either as that pair's speed gives the opposing D fits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Thanks Dez for posting. It has me thinking about good comparisons, and I just hope he turns out to be the next Pavel Bure instead of the next Valerie Bure-- a streaky sniper who never lived up to his billing.

Something makes me nervous about Seguin. Maybe it's the organization. I can't think of another comparable player that the Bruins have had in the last thirty years, and I wonder if that's not for a reason. When I think Bruins, I think hard-working, high-character, high-energy guys-- not flashy, slick and creative players in the Seguin mold (Samsonov was a washout so ignore him).

Just look at the rookies this season, Marchand was given more opportunity and seized more of the opportunities than Seguin. It'll be interesting to chart the careers of both Marchand and Seguin given their age and when they began to play full-time for the Bruins. While Seguin may have the higher talent ceiling, I bet Marchand has a better career with the Bruins over the long-haul.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I've said this since last year. The second half of the 2001-12 season will be his coming out party. I have no problem with with this thread, Maybe word it like this "what player do you think he will be like when in his prime?" as to comparing him right now..anyways, Pavel Bure, i could see why one might suggest this, but for me pavel was one of the more talented,electrifying players ever to put on skates. Not saying Seguin can't be, but Pavel was rarely ever seen in his own zone and i dont think that will be the case with Tyler, especially with Julien as the coach. For me, especially since he has a defensive coach I see Fedorov as a comparison.Fedorov had the speed,the shot, the playmaking all while being responsible defensivly. Like the post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seguin=Pavel Bure......... : OK, now it's on!...........just joking Asmaha, you're alright.The summer heat makes me less bearable(so my lady tells me) so sorry for my being so defensive Regarding Seguin in the top 6, I think the slot with Bergeron and Marchand is his to win or lose. If he is willing to outwork the others in camp(I suspect he will) then I think that's where we'll see him start the year. I couldn't think of a better spot for him although I didn't mind seeing him paired with Peverly either as that pair's speed gives the opposing D fits.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Not to get too far off-topic, but want me to really make your head explode? Seguin can't create his own space yet, but just imagine if he had two linemates who were some of the best at it:

Marchand-Krejci-Horton
    Lucic-Bergeron-Seguin
    Peverly-Kelly-Pouliot
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

That top line has some pluck to it as well, and perhaps might force Krejci to shoot the darn puck more often. We are also disregarding the 800lb gorilla....when does Seguin shift to his natural center position, or does that not happen?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Just had a pretty funny thought about which player Seguin might most resemble in a year or so. You guys won't like the comparison. Speed and quick shot coming up the wing. An offensive game-changer. Would benefit from Savard feeding him passes all day.

I have to go purge myself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

We may not like that comparison - but I am excited to see how close Tyler's offensive numbers match up to the unspoken one's this season.