Seguin's decision making

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Seguin's decision making

One on ones - he doesn't take advantage of his speed, it seems like he always slows down and tries to mesmerize the defenseman with his stickhandling.  Or he should do the Kessel thing every now and again and just make enough room to get off the quick shot.

The hopeless situations where he's 1 on 2, 3, or even 4 - (re: 4 he's actually tried to get passed all of them, that didn't work).   Once I noticed he just dumped it, but it was a bad dump in and rebounded out far, I like to see the puck dead up against the backboards giving the next line just a little more time as the defenseman have to go all the way back to get it.

Sometimes it seems like he's expecting his line mates to be reading his mind and throws out this really awesome pass to this nice big space - that doesn't have a Bruin in it.

Is anyone else noticing similar kinds of things?  He has the skills all the way, 100%.  I think it's just a matter of experience.  I notice the Leafs fans jump out of their seats each time Kessel touches the puck, I'd like to see Seguin have more of that kind of an effect.  Right now I think Marchand is the one who is the danger man in the offensive zone

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Seguin's decision making

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

One on ones - he doesn't take advantage of his speed, it seems like he always slows down and tries to mesmerize the defenseman with his stickhandling.  Or he should do the Kessel thing every now and again and just make enough room to get off the quick shot.

The hopeless situations where he's 1 on 2, 3, or even 4 - (re: 4 he's actually tried to get passed all of them, that didn't work).   Once I noticed he just dumped it, but it was a bad dump in and rebounded out far, I like to see the puck dead up against the backboards giving the next line just a little more time as the defenseman have to go all the way back to get it.

Sometimes it seems like he's expecting his line mates to be reading his mind and throws out this really awesome pass to this nice big space - that doesn't have a Bruin in it.

Is anyone else noticing similar kinds of things?  He has the skills all the way, 100%.  I think it's just a matter of experience.  I notice the Leafs fans jump out of their seats each time Kessel touches the puck, I'd like to see Seguin have more of that kind of an effect.  Right now I think Marchand is the one who is the danger man in the offensive zone

BH, I was going to mention something similar over the weekend as lately it seems he's intent on trying to do exactly what you described usually without success.  Initially I was thinking he's still young, he has to make more use of his linemates, that it was something he'd learn to do. 

But after seeing it again vs the Caps last Saturday I wondered if these solo missions happened during a line change leaving him the last of the Bergeron line on the ice.  At that moment he was the only Bruin I could see on screen attacking the Caps' blue line.  His dekes didn't work usually the result of a poke check, giving Washington possession headed in the opposite direction.  Not a criticism.  Just something that caught my eye lately.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I have been thinking the same thing for a while now but have not posted on the topic.  He seems to think he can stick handle through the D when 1 on 1.  It seems teams have figured this out and all they do is play the body instead of the puck.  He has been better though in the last few weeks, electing to dump and chase, or make a nice entry pass to a teammate and head to the net.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You're just noticing this now?  He's been doing it all season.  Especially the blind pass into space. 

He's 21.  It's a maturity thing, I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

I have been thinking the same thing for a while now but have not posted on the topic.  He seems to think he can stick handle through the D when 1 on 1.  It seems teams have figured this out and all they do is play the body instead of the puck.  He has been better though in the last few weeks, electing to dump and chase, or make a nice entry pass to a teammate and head to the net.

Yeah i don't no why he doesn't use his speed and go outside more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Path of least resistance - do the math. The kid has only one flaw, but it's a big one. He'd rather give it up if it means contact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

You're just noticing this now?  He's been doing it all season.  Especially the blind pass into space. 

Actually just mentioning it now, yes, it has been all season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Path of least resistance - do the math. The kid has only one flaw, but it's a big one. He'd rather give it up if it means contact.

I don't think so.  Not at all.  If you want to see a similar player avoid contact, watch Kessel.  Never skates into traffic.  Seguin skates into traffic almost to a fault.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

He oughtta should just learn from his left-handed linemate who is one of the more creative offensive players the Bruins have had in decades. Seguin kind of seems to be missing the polish that comes from working your way up a system. In certain situations he's still absolutely amazing, especially when the puck is already in the zone, but on the rush he just doesn't have anything other than the full speed stickhandling back-and-forth as fast as possible directly into the opponent thing that almost never works. Marchand surveys the situation, and almost always makes at least one fake with his body before settling on a move. Marchand also has moments or periods of time where the puck seems like it wants nothing to do with his stick but he always plays with more confidence than Seguin. 

Seguin needs to learn to mix it up IMO and quiet the hands and feet on the rush a few times a game, which will help make the full speed rush more effective, but that takes confidence and since he doesn't really handle contact that well, certainly not as well as Marchand, he doesn't have the confidence to absorb a hit and then make a play. As for the blind passes, I actually think Seguin is usually making the right play and the linemate should be where the puck goes. The greatest players always make use of blind passes. Plus Bergy isn't the best at capitalizing on chances. He needs to strengthen his wrists.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

You're just noticing this now?  He's been doing it all season. since his junior days. Especially the blind pass into space. 

Edit ^^^^^^^.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Disagree. This isn't as bad as it used to be. I calls them as I sees them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Yup.  Sure do notice this.  The blind passes and turnovers are what drive me crazy.  He is not at all about puck possession.

Also, his cycle game is non existent, and I don't mean physical strength, I mean positioning and anticipation.  His line mates will reverse it on the cycle and he's often late arriving, then chasing, then going the wrong way.

Still a work in progress. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

You're just noticing this now?  He's been doing it all season. since his junior days. Especially the blind pass into space. 

Edit ^^^^^^^.

Really?  Wow.  Was it consistent through his junior play or did it evolve?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Perhaps the comments you are making need to be imprinted into the Bruins coaching staff foreheads. Isn't that their duty, to adjust or correct. There seem to be many other examples not only Seguin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I don't mind that he does that, or at least don't mind it as much as what he does more often. What drives me absolutely nuts is when he does take a shot 9/10 of them miss the net. I swear every time he gets in the zone and lets a shot go it goes off glass. Is it too much to ask for him to put it on net so it doesn't ring around the boards and back into the neutral zone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to scooter244's comment:

Yup.  Sure do notice this.  The blind passes and turnovers are what drive me crazy.  He is not at all about puck possession.

Also, his cycle game is non existent, and I don't mean physical strength, I mean positioning and anticipation.  His line mates will reverse it on the cycle and he's often late arriving, then chasing, then going the wrong way.

Yeah Scooter, I see the way Bergeron and Marchand battle for pucks and I wish that they could teach Seguin how to do it too. I expect Berg and March to come out of scrums with the puck but lately I find myself expecting Seguin to lose the puck instead. Maybe it's an unfair comparison though considering Berg and March are as good at battling for loose pucks as anyone in the league. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I've noticed Seguin and Marchand trying to deke through multiple defenders, or Seguin taking hopeless shot from the blue line often. It has yet to work and usually results in loss of possession. Meh.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I don't mind that he does that, or at least don't mind it as much as what he does more often. What drives me absolutely nuts is when he does take a shot 9/10 of them miss the net. I swear every time he gets in the zone and lets a shot go it goes off glass. Is it too much to ask for him to put it on net so it doesn't ring around the boards and back into the neutral zone?

He doesn't recognize certain types of situations that top shelf offensive players need to recognize. This is definitely one of them. Needs to hit the net and at least get a rebound when everyone is attacking full speed and will be out of position on that kind of miss. He just gets tunnel vision on the rush. Might be worth putting him on the off wing for a few shifts every few games to force him into some different approaches. Marchand can certainly make it work from either side so it shouldn't hurt the line too much even if it's just a temporary swap with those two. Otherwise let him play the left wing on another line after Marchand and Bergy kill a penalty or something like that. There's no reason Tyler can't do what Wheeler did last night on the left wing... unless he's just not strong enough or willing to take the punishment, but we've seen him play with that reckless abandon at times in the past so I don't think that's it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I agree with the guys that say he is electing to try to beat guys 1-1 and go through them and disagree with the guys that are saying that he is avoiding contact at all costs.

BadHab said it well above.

Bookboy, you said that maybe defenders are playing the body more and the puck less.  How do you make a defender pay for that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to scooter244's comment:

Yeah Scooter, I see the way Bergeron and Marchand battle for pucks and I wish that they could teach Seguin how to do it too. I expect Berg and March to come out of scrums with the puck but lately I find myself expecting Seguin to lose the puck instead. Maybe it's an unfair comparison though considering Berg and March are as good at battling for loose pucks as anyone in the league. 

And have fully grown into their frames.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Why are you asking me ? Didn't your once a year rookie camps give you this answer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and last and rookie season.  What would drive me crazy was crossing the blueline and taking a weak snap shot to the goalie and that was the end of that rush.  He's doing this a little less as he's filled in a bt more physically IMO and uses his body a bit more.

Let's face it, he'll never be a banger but he'll be tough getting off the puck.  This is why I liked Hall so much back before the draft .  He had qualities I prefer but then again who's to say Seguin wasn't the better choice especially when you didn't have the choice.  I'm happy with him , he'll be fine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Why are you asking me ? Didn't your once a year rookie camps give you this answer.

Believe it or not a once a year look at a player isn't as all encompassing as it may seem.

Sections
Shortcuts