"Seguin's Got To Become More Of A Professional" - Peter Chiarelli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

In response to JWensink's comment:

What a bunch of nonsense. Not sure what "professionalism" and "maturity" have to do with unwillingness to engage in winning one on one battles to get puck possession? This is just a nice way of someone calling him out - finally, without crossing a line that would be too insulting publicly. I'm sure that the partying and lack of commitment is an issue , but if he was competing along the boards, or god forbid playing to the physical level of a David Krejci or Chris Kelly - then nobody would care what he was doing in his personal life. Jaromir Jagr at 41 yrs old won more puck battles on the wall since the deadline than Seguin did in three years, and that's not about playing like Milan Lucic - it's about competing without fear. Time to man up...this is your wake up call little boy. Good for PC for calling him out, and CJ gets credit for the demotion and reduced ice time.

Wow, what a huge crock. The part about Jagr was the funniest. Jagr made 9 hits in 22 games. Sure hope Seguin learns to "battle" like that eh?Seguin outhit half of the Bruins forwards in the playoffs but of course you didn't notice because you were already predisposed to cry about him instead. Complain that he couldn't bear down and score more. That's legitimate but to not recognize the other changes in his game is just silly. Seguin finished the playoffs with almost twice as many hits as Sakic had in his last full season. Was Sakic soft? Was Yzerman too?  I suppose you still think CJ coaches to "not lose" and that Bylsma and the unbeatable Pens are still the class of the league? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re:

Book, your summation seems to be right on. At one time the Bruins had Caron living with Seguin and Caron has not exactly progressed since then. Perhaps the "college party' neighborhood, lots of spending cash, away from parental supervision, all have allowed immaturity to continue. Seguin is not the same personality as Bergeron who has always been dependable, committed to the Bruins; and responsibly "professional". Grow up young man, you are no longer a "boy" wonder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re:

I'm very disappointed to hear this.  I had been given the impression that he was quite mature for his age because of the bio steel camp attendance and that his first car was a used range rover.  Now I see I had the wrong impression and I'm very disappointed.  Once upon a time I thought he could have team captain potential, but I can see now that was fantasy.

Echoing something jwensink once said, I'd now like to see the kid get hit hard, except not in a game.  If the fans were to give him a hard time, if he got some real bad press, given his maturity level I think it would cut deep into him and hopefully get the kid on the straight and narrow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Re:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Looks like PC has some concerns about Seguin.  Anyone think they weighed into the talk of the Bruins listening to offers for his services as much as the reduction of the salary cap?  Is this part of the continuing maturation of a young player?

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/06/gm_peter_chiarelli_on_tyler_seguin_got_to_become_more_of_a_p.html

P.C. is a pretty straight shooter and he usually hits the mark, as he did here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

In response to xdrive's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

[QUOTE]

Looks like PC has some concerns about Seguin.  Anyone think they weighed into the talk of the Bruins listening to offers for his services as much as the reduction of the salary cap?  Is this part of the continuing maturation of a young player?

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/06/gm_peter_chiarelli_on_tyler_seguin_got_to_become_more_of_a_p.html

P.C. is a pretty straight shooter and he usually hits the mark, as he did here.

[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about it too. PC knows what he's doing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

What a bunch of nonsense. Not sure what "professionalism" and "maturity" have to do with unwillingness to engage in winning one on one battles to get puck possession? This is just a nice way of someone calling him out - finally, without crossing a line that would be too insulting publicly. I'm sure that the partying and lack of commitment is an issue , but if he was competing along the boards, or god forbid playing to the physical level of a David Krejci or Chris Kelly - then nobody would care what he was doing in his personal life. Jaromir Jagr at 41 yrs old won more puck battles on the wall since the deadline than Seguin did in three years, and that's not about playing like Milan Lucic - it's about competing without fear. Time to man up...this is your wake up call little boy. Good for PC for calling him out, and CJ gets credit for the demotion and reduced ice time.

Wow, what a huge crock. The part about Jagr was the funniest. Seguin outhit half of the Bruins forwards In the playoffs but of course you didn't notice because you were already predisposed to cry about him instead. Complain that he couldn't bear down and score more. That's legitimate but to not recognize the other changes in his game is just silly. Seguin finished the playoffs with almost twice as many hits as Sakic had in his last full season. Was Sakic soft? Was Yzerman too?  I suppose you still think CJ coaches to "not lose" and that Bylsma and the unbeatable Pens are still the class of the league?

DEZ

Time to get off the antogonistic raging posts...I'm bored at this point. Seguin's compete level is a problem, and you'll never find it in hit stats. Although, if you wanna compare stats with Sakic and Yzerman - try points next time. The kid plays with an underlying fear -plain and simple. It took three years and a demotion to get him to finally try and get the puck worse than the other guy. That is the root of all his issues. To deny that is what is "just silly". Jaromir Jagr won more puck battles in the last three months than Seguin has in three years. It has nothing to do with hits. And yes, I do think CJ coaches "not to lose" way too often...like when they go into 5 man PK mode with a lead in the 3rd period. Stick to the issues, make your point, it's getting old- move on. It's just a hockey forum with differing opinions. You like CJ - I don't. You think Seguin plays all out and competes, I think he plays with fear, and have been on him about it all along. Get a one hitter, sit on the porch, catch a breeze and chill it down bro.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re:

Going into a really defining time with Seguin, and i'm sure PC is plenty nervous.  I would be.  Most contracts are handed out "after" athletes have proven themselves, at least up to present.  Tylers windfall is all about projections, and a mediocre 13/14 will jam the B's, and kill Seguins career.  People came unglued here when talking about Ryders contract with only about a year and 1/2 remaining.  This will unfortunately either come down to being a nightmare, or an incredible bargain.  I don't see much middle ground.  Expectation is just so high for these top picks.

Personally, I don't think all of the GM's would be overly keen about taking on that contract even without giving anything up, let alone a kings ransom.  Pretty big gamble.  6 years is an eternity in this business, when things can go sour in a heartbeat.   Is 19 really much further along the developmental scale than Samsanov was at the same time in his career?

In their first 3 years in the NHL:

Samsonov  66 goals   77 assists  143 pts    237 games      .603 pts/game avg

Seguin       56 goals   65 assists  121 pts    203 games      .596 pts/game avg

Eerily similar, although it could be argued that Samsonov played with more determination.  We know how that one worked out.  This next season IS the year.  Top picks making the big bucks must perform as advertised, or else they fade off into the sunset quite quickly.  The contract, and diminished expectation don't allow a journeymans career a la Dan Paille, another former first rounder.

PC picks his spots quite well.  Doesn't go off half cocked.  I hope Seguin's listening.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re:

In response to hangnail's comment:

When a team drafts a player 2nd overall, you would expect that player to possess a certain level of leadership skills IMO.  Seguin hasn't really shown any to this point, maybe that's what PC is talking about.  And as mentioned previously,  he needs to do it on and off the ice.  A tall order?  Yes, but those are the expectations.

I think back to Joe Thornton and wonder where it all went wrong.  My only logical conclusion is that personally, he wanted no part of the leadership role and just wanted to be one of the guys; while the team had other expectations.  That's some bad soup right there.

I thought that problem was totally brought on by the Bruins.  Your best player isn't automatically your captain.  It can be a tremendous liability if that person doesn't enjoy the spotlight.  Bobby Orr was never a captain, as were many of the games best players.

Seguin doesn't need to show leadership qualities, and I'm sure PC is bright enough to realize that.  He merely has to play like an NHLer earning 7 mil per year.  Next year, only Chara and Lucic will be making more.  Honeymoons over Tyler.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

Wow, what a huge crock. The part about Jagr was the funniest. Seguin outhit half of the Bruins forwards In the playoffs but of course you didn't notice because you were already predisposed to cry about him instead. Complain that he couldn't bear down and score more. That's legitimate but to not recognize the other changes in his game is just silly. Seguin finished the playoffs with almost twice as many hits as Sakic had in his last full season. Was Sakic soft? Was Yzerman too?  I suppose you still think CJ coaches to "not lose" and that Bylsma and the unbeatable Pens are still the class of the league?

DEZ

Time to get off the antogonistic raging posts...I'm bored at this point. Seguin's compete level is a problem, and you'll never find it in hit stats. Although, if you wanna compare stats with Sakic and Yzerman - try points next time. The kid plays with an underlying fear -plain and simple. It took three years and a demotion to get him to finally try and get the puck worse than the other guy. That is the root of all his issues. To deny that is what is "just silly". Jaromir Jagr won more puck battles in the last three months than Seguin has in three years. It has nothing to do with hits. And yes, I do think CJ coaches "not to lose" way too often...like when they go into 5 man PK mode with a lead in the 3rd period. Stick to the issues, make your point, it's getting old- move on. It's just a hockey forum with differing opinions. You like CJ - I don't. You think Seguin plays all out and competes, I think he plays with fear, and have been on him about it all along. Get a one hitter, sit on the porch, catch a breeze and chill it down bro.

Not sure where and when I said Seguin competes all out at 100%. I just find it laughable that you question his compete level while hoping he could be a battler like Jagr. Do I wish Seguin was the next Neely? Sure I do but I also am able to recognize his limitations. Regarding CJ and the Pens, they're just examples of how far off many of your observations are. Thanks for telling me how the forum works. I guess I must have thought everyone agreed all of the time. I couldn't help noticing you being conspicuous by your absence during the playoffs. Did it have to do with Rask breaking Tt's records or that CJ took Bylsma and the Pens to school? You were probably just too busy to pop by and tell people how little they know. Yeah, that must've been it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re:

1. Seguin's play doesn't progress as much as hoped

2. Bs acquire Jagr and bump Seguin to the 3rd line

3. Horton indicated he's leaving and a Line 1 RW spot is open, so....

4. PC hosts a meeting with Vinny

5. Shops Seguin, but only for only a huge return so therefore likely smoke & mirrors

6. Makes these comments

All are simply steps to tell their young star that the top line RW isn't going to be handed to him. He needs to earn it through total commitment on and off the ice. Can't see why anyone would have a problem with that, especially knowing that they absolutely would have made overtures to him in private before anything went public.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re:

DEZ

Not sure where and when I said Seguin competes all out at 100%. I just find it laughable that you question his compete level while hoping he could be a battler like Jagr. Do I wish Seguin was the next Neely? Sure I do but I also am able to recognize his limitations. Regarding CJ and the Pens, they're just examples of how far off many of your observations are. Thanks for telling me how the forum works. I guess I must have thought everyone agreed all of the time. I couldn't help noticing you being conspicuous by your absence during the playoffs. Did it have to do with Rask breaking Tt's records or that CJ took Bylsma and the Pens to school? You were probably just too busy to pop by and tell people how little they know. Yeah, that must've been it.

Actually I was staying away being superstitious. The last time I did that they won the cup, I was hoping for the same. And then there's posts like this gem you just left that make me feel like it's a waste of  time trying to have an exchange with someone on your level...like right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

DEZ

Actually I was staying away being superstitious. The last time I did that they won the cup, I was hoping for the same. And then there's posts like this gem you just left that make me feel like it's a waste of  time trying to have an exchange with someone on your level...like right now.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, the irony.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

I think that if I had to choose between Seguin playing harder or playing smarter, I would take the latter.

I think the effort is there, but its also quite apparent that he isn't a power forward.  Players like Sakic and Yzerman did not excel by physically winning battles in the corners, and they frequently avoided those battles with a blend of skill and smarts.

To me Seguin has the skill, and he has the hustle.  What seems to be missing are the quick instincts to make the best play and adjust on the fly.  He seemed very slow to comprehend that he would not be able to skate around guys like Keith and Seabrook and almost looked unsure of how to adjust to plan B.

The calls for him to somehow learn to bowl people over and play like a power forward seem woefully misguided.  Play to your strengths Tyler. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re:

I’ll be the first to admit as a casual Bruins fan (I watch maybe 20 games a year and all of the playoffs) that I may be way off on my assessment, but watching Seguin try to fit within the Bruins system (two way hockey, hitting, scrapping for the puck and doing the dirty work) doesn’t seem to be playing to his strengths.  Serious question: can he be a gritty, Bruins-type player in Claude’s system and ever live up to his potential as a scorer/facilitator?   Guys like Lucic and Horton seem to be able to do both, especially when it matters.  I keep waiting for Seguin to have a Krejci-like playoff run that serves as notice that he’s arrived.     

I thought he was on the way to being a complete player after last year -- that his offensive talent would shine through and that he’d be adequate in the other areas.  This year he seemed very inconsistent and in the playoffs – even though he was doing all of the little things – I was waiting for him to morph into Patrick Kane and carry the Bruins for a game or two in the finals.   

I know he’s young, and maybe he gets the not-so-subtle message that Chiarelli is giving him and we see a better player going forward.  But he’s making a lot of money to be a guy who scores one goal with a -2 plus/minus in 4 playoff rounds. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think that if I had to choose between Seguin playing harder or playing smarter, I would take the latter.

I think the effort is there, but its also quite apparent that he isn't a power forward.  Players like Sakic and Yzerman did not excel by physically winning battles in the corners, and they frequently avoided those battles with a blend of skill and smarts.

To me Seguin has the skill, and he has the hustle.  What seems to be missing are the quick instincts to make the best play and adjust on the fly.  He seemed very slow to comprehend that he would not be able to skate around guys like Keith and Seabrook and almost looked unsure of how to adjust to plan B.

The calls for him to somehow learn to bowl people over and play like a power forward seem woefully misguided.  Play to your strengths Tyler. 

This seems to be a major problem with him so far and not being able to figure it out yet seems to lend credence to the idea that he can't figure it out. I mean he watches game tape, talks to coaches and teammates yet we see the same moves and reactions time after time. Lots of speed, lots of skill but not being able to adjust is a problem. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re:

fletch- do you attribute any of his struggles to position?  Kid excelled as a center, and "experts" have declared that to be his natural position.  Any chance we are seeing a natural center struggling to adapt to a less-familliar position? 

Funny that the Sakic/Yzerman comparisons are being made in this thread as they were centers.  Shouldn't we be comparing him to Perry, Kane, Nash, Ryan or even Kessel?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

This seems to be a major problem with him so far and not being able to figure it out yet seems to lend credence to the idea that he can't figure it out. I mean he watches game tape, talks to coaches and teammates yet we see the same moves and reactions time after time. Lots of speed, lots of skill but not being able to adjust is a problem. 

Yeah, I don't think it matters how smart or informed you are if it doesn't become part of your instincts in a game as fast as hockey.  Keith almost seem to bait Seguin -- show him the outside lane when he had some speed going and then take it away.  Seguin simply couldn't react and adjust fast enough.  That's where I appreciate Marchand.  He seems to have that split second instinct to make the right play, whether it be to dash forward, sneak a shot, delay, curl back, etc.  It's hard to defend a guy that can do 4 different things in a split second.

Seguin sometimes seems stuck in neutral when plan A is suddenly taken away.  I'm not seeing the ability to make quick, decisive adjustments on the fly.  Maybe that comes with more confidence or more focus and training.  My fear is that good instincts seem pretty hard to learn and if they don't show up by the 4th or 5th year, they may not be there.

For the record, I think Seguin is going to keep getting better and be a point per game guy, but I worry about his big game performance and I disagree with the assessment that he necessarily needs to work harder or be more physical.  I think his problems are cerebral at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

[QUOTE]

fletch- do you attribute any of his struggles to position?  Kid excelled as a center, and "experts" have declared that to be his natural position.  Any chance we are seeing a natural center struggling to adapt to a less-familliar position? 

Funny that the Sakic/Yzerman comparisons are being made in this thread as they were centers.  Shouldn't we be comparing him to Perry, Kane, Nash, Ryan or even Kessel?

[/QUOTE]

Crowls, I only mentioned those 2 as examples of players who managed to find success without playing what I'd call a physical game. Neither player ever found themselves questioned over a lack of physicality because it wasn't a big part of what made them great. Players need to play to their strengths. Perhaps it is time Seguin finally gets to play center. Then it's sink or swim. I'm all for it now that he's older.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

"How does being a pro translate?"

It's not the physical prep so much as the mental - hitting the film room to know the tendencies of the defensemen so if you're up against Oduya or Hjalmarsson, you know whether they're stronger against a speed rush or a stop up or whatever.  Who has a good stick and who has great balance.  That kind of thing.  When you see Seguin doing the same thing against every defenseman, you know he's not adjusting his approach based on who he's up against.

Same thing applies to winning puck battles.  What's the D likely to do in a 50/50 battle?  Is he a Boychuck who will take a hit and eat the puck to keep it safe, or is he a Ference who will move it quickly?  A Seidenberg who will deliver the hit to get position or a Chara who will use his frame to shield you off?  That's where the professionalism comes in.  I think Seguin wants to be more of a force off the cycle, but he's not prepared enough.  Everyone else knows what he can/will do in those situations, so they negate his talent advantages.  I don't think it's that he's a wuss anymore - not after the playoffs.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

Similar to dez, I like use the Sakic/Yzerman comparisons more as a response to the people crowing about how Seguin needs to be tougher and physically win more battles.  I disagree and I think those two guys are exhibit A of how to use Seguins skill set the right way.  Sakic and Yzerman just avoided physical battles in playing to the advantages of their skill set.  Seguin will not become a better player by trying to be a power forward.

Yzerman was always a comparison for Seguin, because Seguin always said that Yzerman was his hero growing up and the guy he tried to model his game after.  I like that.  A perfect role model for him, I think.

But yeah, the position thing is tricky.  I don't know if he'd be better offensively at center or not (probably...?), but I do think he would not meet the all around expectations of a center in Julien's system too well.  At least not yet.  I don't know what to think about that really. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

It's not the physical prep so much as the mental - hitting the film room to know the tendencies of the defensemen so if you're up against Oduya or Hjalmarsson, you know whether they're stronger against a speed rush or a stop up or whatever.  Who has a good stick and who has great balance.  That kind of thing.  When you see Seguin doing the same thing against every defenseman, you know he's not adjusting his approach based on who he's up against.

Same thing applies to winning puck battles.  What's the D likely to do in a 50/50 battle?  Is he a Boychuck who will take a hit and eat the puck to keep it safe, or is he a Ference who will move it quickly?  A Seidenberg who will deliver the hit to get position or a Chara who will use his frame to shield you off?  That's where the professionalism comes in.  I think Seguin wants to be more of a force off the cycle, but he's not prepared enough.  Everyone else knows what he can/will do in those situations, so they negate his talent advantages.  I don't think it's that he's a wuss anymore - not after the playoffs.

To me this is it in a nutshell, all the skill in the world can't help when everyone else knows what you're going to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Crowls, I only mentioned those 2 as examples of players who managed to find success without playing what I'd call a physical game. Neither player ever found themselves questioned over a lack of physicality because it wasn't a big part of what made them great. Players need to play to their strengths. Perhaps it is time Seguin finally gets to play center. Then it's sink or swim. I'm all for it now that he's older.

[/QUOTE]

That's fair dez.  On the wing, guys like Kane and Kessel might be more of what Seguin should aspire to (non-physical/high production).

It's funny that after last year and 29 goals, so many of us were excited about where his game was headed.  The Swiss-A production was another reason to be optimistic.  How far has this kid fallen?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re:

I'm all for the idea of whatever it takes to get the most out of his skill set. He just needs to find some confidence again. I fully expect him to score 30+ with ease next year. He's also learned how to play in his own end so that should be seen as a positive also. He's still a kid trying to learn how to be a man. I have faith it can happen sooner than later. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Book- I get that, but what was his preparation last year when he scored 29 goals?  Is it different than Marchand?

I also agree with you that there was more jam and desperation in his game as the playoffs advanced. 

The timing of PC's comments are also a little curious given that Seguin was given some high-marks for reaching out to CJ to see how he could best help the team heading into the SCF.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/blogs/mobileghmne/x1629901482/Lacking-goals-Seguin-seeks-out-advice-on-doing-little-things?rssfeed=true#axzz2XoxEMkLm

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Derek Sanderson, while accomplishing more than Seguin has so far (including 2 Cups), wound up a raging acoholic and drug addict, almost died, was bankrupt and at one point was sleeping on a park bench, homeless, a couple years removed from being the highest paid professional athlete (WHA contract).  Is that what we want to compare Seguin to while saying it was OK for Moog and Neely?

[/QUOTE]

No.  I wasn't suggesting the path Sanderson walked is what's in store for Seguin.  I was referencing their shared fondness for nightlife. 

Sections
Shortcuts