Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin

Seidenberg sure did hit Ovechkin hard.

Should Seidenberg have slowed down to minimize the violence of the impact?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin

What was the distance traveled?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Actually I would have loved if he launched Ovechkin into orbit like in a cartoon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Point ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin:
    [QUOTE]Point ?
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Violent hits are awesome and are fully a part of hockey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin : Violent hits are awesome and are fully a part of hockey.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Yes Nas, that was a good example of how players can still make solid contact without charging.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin : Yes Nas, that was a good example of how players can still make solid contact without charging.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

You can passive aggressively relate this to the Chimera/Boychuk hit if that makes you feel good, Dezaruchi.  There have been many posts recently that have suggested that players should hit softer and that hitting to hurt is a crime.  This isn't about one hit.  It's about an entire culture that cries when something violent happens...in a violent sport.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin : You can passive aggressively relate this to the Chimera/Boychuk hit if that makes you feel good, Dezaruchi. 
    There have been many posts recently that have suggested that players should hit softer and that hitting to hurt is a crime.  This isn't about one hit.  It's about an entire culture that cries when something violent happens...in a violent sport.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Ohhhhhh, I was the one who did it? Well that does clear some things up.
    XOXO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That was awesome.  Gleefully violent.  (No relation to some insipid show)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HalifaxBruins. Show HalifaxBruins's posts

Seidenberg played Ovechkin as physical as anyone possibly could I barely even notiched Ovechkin last night besides the one timer chance but Timmy had the answer this keeps up i see Ovechkin taking lots of 2 minute minors. Bruins smothered him and the caps took away there time and space 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Seidenberg did do his job in helping to shut down Ovechkin, but Ovechkin is not invisable

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I love big hits.  There is also a difference between two moving players colliding, and one player building speed and targeting a stationary player, usually one standing near the boards.  The goal of a "check" in hockey is to separate a player from the puck. If a player is moving, you must also be moving to hit them and stop them from advancing toward your goal with the puck. If a player is stationary, especially in a vulnerable position near the boards, and you build great speed and run into them with the sole purpose of hurting them, it's unnecessary, dangerous, and also a long-time penalty under the NHL rulebook.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Seids and Ovie were great to watch all game. Good clean fun! Neither guy is going to take a clean, hard hit, get teed off and start taking cheap shots at the other or crying to he ref. Ovie is the anti-Sid.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I have to say! Ovie proved how built he is! Sieds hit him with everything & Ovie almost didn't fall. Say what you want about the guy, but I say he's one of the strongest guys in the league! 230 lbs of rock!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hmm...

Was it "predatory"?

Did he come "a long ways"

Was his head full of unpure thoughts?

Loved it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I liked better Richards on Burrows .  Clean and Burrows went down like a brick.
    Man, can Ovy take a hit !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ovechkin is a big guy and can handle the punishment, as Seids found out last night. He even seems to enjoy it. Thing is, the B's are not going to make him disappear but I like him getting hit every time he touches the puck. Hard to get going when someone nails you before rev up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

OV was laughing on the bench after he got hit... he loved it, and I loved watching it.

[QUOTE]Ovechkin is a big guy and can handle the punishment, as Seids found out last night. He even seems to enjoy it. Thing is, the B's are not going to make him disappear but I like him getting hit every time he touches the puck. Hard to get going when someone nails you before rev up.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Heh....that big toothless, backwoods grin. He is not the Caps problem, its his supporting cast.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I predict that the two will go out for a beer immediately after the series concludes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Would they be going out for a König or a Толстяк?

[QUOTE]I predict that the two will go out for a beer immediately after the series concludes.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]Would they be going out for a König or a Толстяк? In Response to Re: Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

A Sam Adams.  Bruins win in 5, so they'll be in Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So a German and a Russian walk into a bar...

That story so often goes poorly - I think there's a Tolstoy novel about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Seidenberg vs. Ovechkin:[QUOTE]Seidenberg sure did hit Ovechkin hard. Should Seidenberg have slowed down to minimize the violence of the impact? Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Both players were skating towards each other, neither were stationary nor standing still up against the boards. Seidenberg and Ovechkin both together had time to make sure they could keep elbows down and follow throughh to a minimum which they did. Great impact-hit-hockey-play!

How are the hits similar ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I know that by rule, the purpose of a "check" in hockey is to separate the puck carrier from the puck...but man, that just reeks of wool sweaters, straight bladed wooden sticks, and 1920s hair grease. 

Pain is part of the game.  Pain threshold is part of the skill set for success.  Resiliency, courage, playing hurt - all part of the package that makes this game compelling.  Put another way, if it doesn't hurt to play against me, I'm not doing my job.  I'm not making you choose between comfort and success.  I'm making the game easy.  

I like it when players hit hard and look to make it hurt; I don't like it when players aim to injure, and I think the worst examples of charging and boarding are usually cowardly attempts to make a hit hurt without consideration for the distinction between hurt and injure.

But hitting is a tool, and it has more applications than just separating a player from the puck.  That's a dead end in the conversation about player safety and "respect".  You take the possibility of epic collisions out of the equation, and there is then almost no defense against an Ovechkin, Malkin, or even Lucic when he has a head of steam.  Those guys get moving, only a collision of seismic proportions is likely to "separate them from the puck."