Selke finalists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Selke finalists

Bergeron,Toews,Kopitar

Tough call,i like Bergy of course.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Selke finalists

Bergeron should win but it's very close. Toews won last year by a very slim margin and Bergeron actually had more 1st place votes. Kopitar is a slice below those two but maybe I think that because I just don't get to see him play as much.

I'll be happy for Bergeron if he wins but there's really only one trophy I care about coming to Boston at the end of the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins

Bergeron led the NHL in face-off wins with 1,015 -- the most by any player in the past seven seasons -- as the Bruins posted the best defensive record in the Eastern Conference and second-best in the League overall (2.08 goals per game). He ranked second in the NHL in plus-minus with a career-high +38 rating and led all Bruins forwards in average ice time playing shorthanded (1:57). Bergeron is a Selke Trophy finalist for the third consecutive season; he captured the award in 2012 and finished runner-up to Toews in 2013.

Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings

Kopitar appeared in all 82 games and logged more ice time (1,712:45) than all NHL forwards except Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby for the club that allowed a League-low average of 2.05 goals per game. He logged the most shorthanded time (164:53) among the League's top 30 scorers, led the Kings and tied for fourth in the NHL in plus-minus with a career-high +34 rating and won 53.3% of his 1,451 face-offs. Kopitar is a Selke Trophy finalist for the first time and becomes the first Kings player in franchise history to garner a Selke nomination.

Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Toews placed fifth in the NHL in both face-off wins (884) and percentage (57.2%) in taking 1,544 draws, nearly double the total of the next Blackhawks center. He topped all Chicago forwards in average ice time per game (20:28) and ranked second on the club in takeaways (51) and plus-minus (+26), including a cumulative +7 rating against top Conference rivals Anaheim, Colorado, St. Louis and San Jose. A Selke finalist for the third time in four years, the Blackhawks captain is in quest of a repeat win after capturing the award for the first time in 2012-13."

Some numbers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bergeron should win but it's very close. Toews won last year by a very slim margin and Bergeron actually had more 1st place votes. Kopitar is a slice below those two but maybe I think that because I just don't get to see him play as much.

I'll be happy for Bergeron if he wins but there's really only one trophy I care about coming to Boston at the end of the season.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure if you asked Bergeron he would give the same answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

if Bergy doesn't win it, an investigation is needed....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I don't know, sure I think Bergeron deserves it, but I also think it's a coin flip between him and Kopitar this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Call me a homah but it should be Bergeron.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I don't know, sure I think Bergeron deserves it, but I also think it's a coin flip between him and Kopitar this season.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

i was impressed by Kopitar's stats but at the end of the day i think the writers will opt for Bergy because he played a huge role on the President's trophy winner....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love your homerism, but this to me could the closest voting among all of the awards. I think one could make an argument for all 3 and not be wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Not this year. Talk about cake walks. Bergy hands down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I would be disappointed if Bergeron did not win it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2014/4/24/5647376/why-patrice-bergeron-deserves-the-selke-over-foot-face-and-the-zombie

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I love your homerism, but this to me could the closest voting among all of the awards. I think one could make an argument for all 3 and not be wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

since the Selke is awarded for defensive play, a better +/- than the other two should give Bergy the edge....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I agree with NB. Bergeron will win by a landslide. I think Bergeron scoring 30 goals seals the deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Footface and the Zombie.  Wasn't Robert Conrad in that?

Kopitar's case is pretty impressive - he has the most points of the three (should be irrelevant, right?), second most ice time of any forward in the NHL (that is, he's a #1 C) on the team that was the stingiest in the entire leauge, and he played the most short-handed minutes of the three.  That suggests that he was one of the most signficant contributors to LA's great defensive performance.  You can't take anything away from him on that without acknowledging similar factors in Bergeron's success - Quick v. Rask; Chara v. Doughty; Julien v. Sutter.  If you want to put an emphasis on +/-, he was 2 points off of Bergeron - not a definitive difference.  He scored one fewer goal than Bergeron - weigh that against his higher overall point total and it's a wash at least.

Bergeron has him clean in FO% and shorthanded points, and they had the same number of ES points even though Bergeron was on the ice a lot less.  Kopitar had more hits, Bergeron more blocks, Kopitar a few more takeaways, Bergeron a better takeaway to giveaway ratio.

I think it's Bergeron because they were the best team in the league, he was a big reason why, and this is Bergeron awareness year ever since he was hospitalized for nearly playing himself to death in the Finals.  It's not supposed to count, but if anyone didn't know how good Bergeron is, they saw it at the Olympics.  If it is Kopitar, it's hard to argue objectively why it should have been Bergeron instead, and I'll go as far as to say there will be an element of "corrective" influence given that he's the only Selke nominee the Kings have ever had (man, that's weird).

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Being on the best team, and him being the only finalist in the East will be two factors.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Cut to the chase or mustard if you will, I am a homer.  Bergeron was the glue of the team.  He will never win the Hart.  Yet, the heart of the Bs is Bergeron.  The team is first in his view like the others including foremost Chara but not less than Krejci, Lucic, et al.  I know who the Selke finalist is in 2014.  Bergeron does not need a trophy!

Sections
Shortcuts