Senators captain Jason Spezza asks for a trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Senators captain Jason Spezza asks for a trade

"Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza has asked to be traded, general manager Bryan Murray told reporters in New York on Wednesday.

“I don’t want to trade the guy, really, and I know I won’t get the value, in all likelihood that I should get for him," Murray said after the NHL general managers meeting, according to The Canadian Press. "But I think that Jason feels maybe there's a change that he would like to have happen, and if that's the case we'll try to do what we can."

Spezza, 30, had 23 goals and 66 points this season, his 11th with Ottawa and first as captain, a role he was given after Daniel Alfredsson left for the Detroit Red Wings last summer.

"Obviously I'd like to win a hockey game next year, so getting a player back that can play in the League, that has played in the League, would be important," Murray said.

Taken by the Senators with the second pick of the 2001 NHL Draft, Spezza is second on their all-time list in goals (252) and points (687). He's scored at least 30 goals in a season four times.

He has 52 points in 56 Stanley Cup Playoff games, including seven goals and 22 assists in 20 games to help the Senators reach the 2007 Stanley Cup Final."

Where does Spezza go ?

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Senators captain Jason Spezza asks for a trade

If Murray is worried about not getting full value for Spezza because he is demanding to be traded then why the hell is he leaking that fact to the press? lol

At any rate, Spezza needs to go to a team with cap space so I would guess Colorado or even Minny if Vanek doesn't sign with them

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

St. louis or the Ducks.  Cant see it being East.  I mentioned this before but they should blow it up and rebuild.  Phillips, Neil, Anderson, Spezza and Ryan.  That right there could bring in a massive hall of picks and young talent.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

St. louis or the Ducks.  Cant see it being East.  I mentioned this before but they should blow it up and rebuild.  Phillips, Neil, Anderson, Spezza and Ryan.  That right there could bring in a massive hall of picks and young talent.  

[/QUOTE]

Neil would be a good replacement for ST

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]

If Murray is worried about not getting full value for Spezza because he is demanding to be traded then why the hell is he leaking that fact to the press? lol

At any rate, Spezza needs to go to a team with cap space so I would guess Colorado or even Minny if Vanek doesn't sign with them [/QUOTE]

See I don't like the press leak by the GM either but eventually it gets out. $4M cap hit is not a bad. I say Rutherford takes a run in Pittsburgh and Toronto.

Get that parade route ready.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Neil would be a good replacement for ST

[/QUOTE]

I love him.  But he makes too much.  Someone would have to go.  But yes i would be thrilled to have him.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could see St. Louis, and Ottawa will probably want Taresenko involved in the deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup but TJ is the option for St. Louis management in that case.  St. Louis is looking for a goalie nonetheless.  

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could see St. Louis, and Ottawa will probably want Taresenko involved in the deal.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yup but TJ is the option for St. Louis management in that case.  St. Louis is looking for a goalie nonetheless.  

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Allen and they just resigned Elliot.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

See I don't like the press leak by the GM either but eventually it gets out. $4M cap hit is not a bad. I say Rutherford takes a run in Pittsburgh and Toronto.

[/QUOTE]

His cap hit is $7mill but salary only $4mill...part of a front loaded contract. Perfect for a stingy owner with a team that has lots of cap space....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

At any rate, Spezza needs to go to a team with cap space so I would guess Colorado or even Minny if Vanek doesn't sign with them

[/QUOTE]

No better way to shop the player to the whole NHL, right?  You are assured that everyone gets the word and I think a better chance of getting the best deal provided it's a desirable player as in this case.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Dallas needs a #2 center behind Seguin. Could be a good fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE] See I don't like the press leak by the GM either but eventually it gets out. $4M cap hit is not a bad. I say Rutherford takes a run in Pittsburgh and Toronto.  [/QUOTE]

His cap hit is $7mill but salary only $4mill...part of a front loaded contract. Perfect for a stingy owner with a team that has lots of cap space....[/QUOTE]

Whoa yah I looked at his 2008 cap hit. Yah good luck Murray LoL

Sorry Kelv I didn't see your thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]

At any rate, Spezza needs to go to a team with cap space so I would guess Colorado or even Minny if Vanek doesn't sign with them [/QUOTE]

Get that parade route ready.

[/QUOTE]

We're gonna read that a lot this summer with Thornton and now Spezza's name on the front page of "Look Who's Maybe Gonna Be A Leaf" magazine, eh San? Happens every summer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Would be a good fit in Anaheim as 2nd line centre behind Getzlaf or in Dallas,playing second fiddle to Tom Riddle. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

His cap hit is $7mill but salary only $4mill...part of a front loaded contract. Perfect for a stingy owner with a team that has lots of cap space....

[/QUOTE]

I have an idea...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have an idea...

[/QUOTE]

Does it include Florida?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Actually it would be interesting if the Nucks trade Kessler for Spezza and then sign Heatley. Would be a killer one-two line punch with the Gazoo twins.

But I think Kessler has a NMC so he may not want to head to Ottawa....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No better way to shop the player to the whole NHL, right?  You are assured that everyone gets the word and I think a better chance of getting the best deal provided it's a desirable player as in this case.

[/QUOTE]

True. I just think his value goes down if everyone knows Spezza wants out. Like the Danny Heatly scenario all over again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In highly public business like pro sports....what "seems to be", is more important than "what is".  Murray is playing a very old game.  He's trying to make the management group out to be the "good guys", and Spezza the "bad guy".

When it gets out that a player no longer wants to play for a particular town, that town usually turns on him pretty quick.  The reason Murray is so quick to come off as the poor victim...is because he knows he isn't.  He has Spezza under contract for next year, so he has lots of time to make a deal, and his fan base won't skewer him, if the bounty is mostly prospects.  The team is in rebuilding mode.  Bobby Ryan is only on the books for one more year too, and many would question whether he and Spezza are the pieces to build around anyway.  If it appears Ryan has no interest in staying in Ottawa(why would he?), Murray can unload both while still getting support from the community, while his team's short term competitveness takes a hit.

Murray is wisely rolling out the first installment of a well thought out PR campaign.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

It's an incredibly small world.  Population 30.  And all those 30 do in life,... is constantly converse with the other 29. looking to deal.  These statements have zero to do with shopping Spezza.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE] I have an idea...[/QUOTE]

Does it include Florida?  [/QUOTE]

Viola!

Ha get it ?

No he means KHL of course LoL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Viola!

Ha get it ?