Senators get Ben Bishop

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Senators get Ben Bishop

I know, everyone has been clamor ing over who will get Nash, or Carter, ect. But the real winner was whoever got Ben Bishop out of St. Louis's system. Nobody expected Eliot to be lights out this season, which suddenly left Bishop, thier 'goaltender of the future' in a very odd position: Bring up thier 3rd strong, put him in 20 games, or lose him to free agency. Now, not saying Anderson/Bishop is Thomas/ Rask, but Bishop will be more of a Cory Schnieder/Louongo, a backup who is as good as a starter. A terrific convenience to have. Ottawa is going to be a force to be reckoned with the next 5 years or so.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Senators get Ben Bishop

In Response to Senators get Ben Bishop:
    [QUOTE]I know, everyone has been clamor ing over who will get Nash, or Carter, ect. But the real winner was whoever got Ben Bishop out of St. Louis's system. Nobody expected Eliot to be lights out this season, which suddenly left Bishop, thier 'goaltender of the future' in a very odd position: Bring up thier 3rd strong, put him in 20 games, or lose him to free agency. Now, not saying Anderson/Bishop is Thomas/ Rask, but Bishop will be more of a Cory Schnieder/Louongo, a backup who is as good as a starter. A terrific convenience to have. Ottawa is going to be a force to be reckoned with the next 5 years or so.
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

From everything I've read Bishop seems promising.  Plus he's enormous.  At 6.07 if he started eating like a sumo wrestler he could plug the goal completely.

Blues should have got more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Senators get Ben Bishop : From everything I've read Bishop seems promising.  Plus he's enormous.  At 6.07 if he started eating like a sumo wrestler he could plug the goal completely. Blues should have got more.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    He was a 3rd round pick and he's got 13 NHL games to his credit. Instead of burying him in the minors they moved him for a 2nd. That's not a bad return. Who would've traded a 1st for him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : He was a 3rd round pick and he's got 13 NHL games to his credit. Instead of burying him in the minors they moved him for a 2nd. That's not a bad return. Who would've traded a 1st for him?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

In this market?  A 2nd and some career ahl guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : In this market?  A 2nd and some career ahl guy.
    Oh, so you think they missed out on a "Whitfield"? Don't forget, not everyone was in need of another backup in the system. The Leafs should've offerred their 2nd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : Oh, so you think they missed out on a "Whitfield"? Don't forget, not everyone was in need of another backup in the system. The Leafs should've offerred their 2nd.

Not someone as good as a Whitfield.  Another body.

Hey, the other bum got 5 guys.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : Not someone as good as a Whitfield.  Another body. Hey, the other bum got 5 guys.
    That "other bum" has appearred in over 500 NHL games and has 298 points to his credit. I'm not making the connection.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

STL just extended Elliott's contract and they have Halak.  St-Louis is set for the next few years and will be a Cup contender.  Bishop was the odd man out.  Sucks but that's the way it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Does this mean the injury to Anderson is worse than originally thought or are the Sens stocking up on their organization's goaltending depth?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It means they watched Alex Auld torpedo their game against the Bruins and didn't want to stick Lehner in the fire - better to keep him building his resume in Binghamton.  They'll have the option to extend Bishop - he's an RFA for now but will be a Group VI UFA due to age and games played - and they probably will if they want to keep Lehner in the A for a final year.  Auld is a UFA at the end of the year and I don't think they'll look to him for a veteran backup next year. I don't think that they'd have gone that route this year if they thought they'd be in a playoff position at the trade deadline.

Bishop will have to show me before I'm sold.  Big NCAA goalie sounds to me like it might mean just ... big.  Successful when only the best players can pick corners over a big goalie's shoulder.  His NHL numbers, such as they are, aren't encouraging yet.  We'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I am suprised all they got was a second. Good trade for Ottawa.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Excellent trade for ottawa.  Bishop is a cheap deal with a very high ceiling.  Surprised Tampa didnt give up more to get him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I am suprised all they got was a second. Good trade for Ottawa.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

don't let Dez hear you say that.  he'll be all over you like a cheap suit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : don't let Dez hear you say that.  he'll be all over you like a cheap suit.
    I didn't say it wasn't a good deal for the Sens. I said the Blues weren't in a great position to ask for much more. Seems simple enough. Where's the confusion?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : don't let Dez hear you say that.  he'll be all over you like a cheap suit.

By most accounts Bishop is the best goalie not currently playing in the NHL. Last time a player with that rep was traded, a Calder trophy winner went back the other way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : By most accounts Bishop is the best goalie not currently playing in the NHL. Last time a player with that rep was traded, a Calder trophy winner went back the other way.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Gustavson was also once the best goalie not in the NHL. I think Markstrom in Florida is a better goalie that would've got far more in return.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : Gustavson was also once the best goalie not in the NHL. I think Markstrom in Florida is a better goalie that would've got far more in return.

That's exactly how he was hyped by Burke and Toronto media.  Mind you, it seems some sports talking heads up here tend to do that with a lot of Leaf players and Leaf prospects.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : That's exactly how he was hyped by Burke and Toronto media.  Mind you, it seems sports talking heads up here tend to do that with a lot of Leaf players and Leaf prospects.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    It wasn't just the Leafs that were saying it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : That's exactly how he was hyped by Burke and Toronto media.  Mind you, it seems some sports talking heads up here tend to do that with a lot of Leaf players and Leaf prospects.

Don't you mean all?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : Don't you mean all ?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

True.  Words like swindled and hoodwinked were liberally used to describe the Kaberle/Colborne deal especially when he began to score with the Marlies.  I can't recall the announcer but someone on THE FAN 590 likened Colborne to the Leafs obtaining a young Phil Esposito from Chicago.  Okay.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : It wasn't just the Leafs that were saying it.

dez - I have to admit when he arrived his pre-season and first few games for them were impressive. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : dez - I have to admit when he arrived his pre-season and first few games for them were impressive. 
    He's played decent now that his heart troubles are under control. He'll be a great backup but I don't see him having the upside to be a true #1 in the league.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

As with all Toronto prophecies, like Joe "the Beast" Colborne is the next Espo, Jonas "the Monster" Gustafsson is the next Cujo and Kessel is the next Leaf 50 goal man, the one that i was most curious about was when Burke said the Leafs would be more truculent. That actually made me laugh.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Senators get Ben Bishop : Gustavson was also once the best goalie not in the NHL. I think Markstrom in Florida is a better goalie that would've got far more in return.

Agreed . Problem is Markstrom isn't going anywhere so we won't find out what he's worth. He's their future in goal and a solid goalie prospect.

Sections
Shortcuts