Senators sign Cowan to Eight Year Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Senators sign Cowan to Eight Year Deal

Eight years, $28M.

Who cares about the money side of it.  That term is literally insane.

He's played 90 regular season games.

He has SIX NHL goals.

12 NHL assists.

EIGHTEEN NHL POINTS

I just cannot imagine the thought process behind this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Senators sign Cowan to Eight Year Deal

Cowen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, that shows you how much of a factor his is, BHab.  I didn't even know how to spell his name properly.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I know Ottawa is high on him, but yeah, the length is ridiculous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He's just 22 so it will be done by the time he's 30, he's 6'3" and 230 and a 9th overall pick.

Oh what the hell, why not, it's only money, they can buy him out later anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They're paying him to be a second pairing defenseman for almost a decade.  He's a good player.  And the days of "bridge" contracts are long gone.  Unless he completely soils himself, or his injury makes him physically less able over the long haul, that's a safe bet and, maybe more importantly, it's a moveable deal the farther into it you get.  He could be #2 to play with Karlsson in a year or two, and then he'll be a steal.  He could get hurt and be a huge lodestone, but he's not likely to play his way to 5-6 status in Ottawa any time soon, so I think they're happy with the deal.

Don't get shupe-up on how many games he's played to date.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Book, eight years for a guy who has 18 NHL points.

That's bananas.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"And the days of "bridge" contracts are long gone"

This was intentially put into your statement for someone to ask, Ok i'm asking...What is Iginla's contract ? was Pandawful's ?

Betcha Book already has his answer ready to go LoL...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think the points matter.  He's Chris Phillips.  He's Rod Langway.  He's a big, physical, bullish defenseman who's nimbler than your average big defenseman.  There's a reason he was drafted 9th overall even though he only had 21 points in 48 WHL games.

If you want to call it insane, then really, its because he's only played his rookie year.  That's it.  Apparently, he was a huge defensive presence in Binghamton his first pro year, and he was an immediate contributor in the playoffs the year before.  That one full year in Ottawa, he played third pairing minutes and saw almost zero PP time (about half a minute per game).  Last year, he saw more minutes per game, more PP time, but only played seven games after he hurt his hip.  Hard to say anything about the career point total given all of this plus the fact that he's not exactly an offensive defenseman.

How do you justify an eight year deal for any player?  (shupe, here's $20; go have a pitcher of Moosehead and we'll call you when we're not talking about this.)  Usually it's a trade off of the risk that his play will fall off a cliff for whatever reason vs. the benefit of a lower annual salary (because you're giving the player security) and the possibility that he'll actually raise his game and seem underpaid.  Plus, you're guarding against salary inflation so that, around year five, when 17 point third pairing D are making $5M a year, he's an absolute steal.  I think Murray looked at what Cowen has done, thinks about what he could do as a top 3 D for them, and that calculation comes out as worth the risk.  I think it's risky, sure.  But not insane.  Cowen's a player, and $3.5/yr is a salary threshold, that seems like a reasonable gamble.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lol @ SanDog....

I don't understand the question about Iginla and Pandolpho relative to "bridge" contracts.  That's what I've heard people call second contracts for high-performing young players.  They play out their EL deal, and say, like Seguin, they look like they're maturing, so you don't pay them like veterans on their second deal, because they're not there yet, but you also have to give them some kind of solid second deal, so you give them a deal like Subban's - couple of years, salary about 60% of what they get if they have more than a year or two of high end performance.  They keep it up, they get the big dough.  Short deal, mid-level money, while they finish a five year development cycle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's a bit long, but it's a good price.  If they know him, like his character, like his progression, and like his play last year, it makes pretty good sense.  I wouldn't do it if it wasn't my own player, but if I knew them well I would.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ryan White apparently agrees, stating to the Chronicle De Deuche newspaper "just because he rag-dolled my punk a** before I could sucker punch another non-fighter, does not make him all that tough anyhow.  Too long a term..."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Something like this can work at the D position, so why not? They know what they have and that it'll be a good salary at minimum the first 2 years (quality of play) and the last 2 (relative to the going rate at that time). So OTT has to take a minor risk on the middle 4 years, but even then they are projecting GOOD things, not bad and the annual isn't terrible. Much easier to see someone playing a solid top-4 role for 8 years when we're talking about the blue line. It's not like Tyler Myers $$ either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS - not signed.  Senators put this on the table; Cowen has not accepted.  Maybe he thinks the term is insane?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

All long term contracts are dumb, yet it is better with a Cap system.  Shupe where are you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Cowen isnt in the nhl to anchor a pp.  he is a big shutdown style dman.  I like him a lot.  22 year old, size, mobility, physical, can fight when he has to(fought westgarth as well), shut down top 4 dman.  3.5 m isnt 7 m.   even as a 5-6 dman its not a terrible deal.  Ottawa is pretty high on him.

a lot of scouts compare him to d hatcher and chara.  

All this being said i woudnt go over 5 yrs for any player at high term unless they are a franchise player.  And even then im not sure i go over 5 yrs.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I don't think the points matter.  He's Chris Phillips.  He's Rod Langway.  He's a big, physical, bullish defenseman who's nimbler than your average big defenseman.  There's a reason he was drafted 9th overall even though he only had 21 points in 48 WHL games.

If you want to call it insane, then really, its because he's only played his rookie year.  That's it.  Apparently, he was a huge defensive presence in Binghamton his first pro year, and he was an immediate contributor in the playoffs the year before.  That one full year in Ottawa, he played third pairing minutes and saw almost zero PP time (about half a minute per game).  Last year, he saw more minutes per game, more PP time, but only played seven games after he hurt his hip.  Hard to say anything about the career point total given all of this plus the fact that he's not exactly an offensive defenseman.

How do you justify an eight year deal for any player?  (shupe, here's $20; go have a pitcher of Moosehead and we'll call you when we're not talking about this.)  Usually it's a trade off of the risk that his play will fall off a cliff for whatever reason vs. the benefit of a lower annual salary (because you're giving the player security) and the possibility that he'll actually raise his game and seem underpaid.  Plus, you're guarding against salary inflation so that, around year five, when 17 point third pairing D are making $5M a year, he's an absolute steal.  I think Murray looked at what Cowen has done, thinks about what he could do as a top 3 D for them, and that calculation comes out as worth the risk.  I think it's risky, sure.  But not insane.  Cowen's a player, and $3.5/yr is a salary threshold, that seems like a reasonable gamble.

Can we at least agree that Moosehead is good beer?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

There is no way Cowen would agree to that kind of money for the next 8 years. He has the potential to be a #2 d-man.

I would expect that money for a 3 year deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"physical, can fight when he has to (fought westgarth as well)"

That's when long term deals are "A" Ok...man all we need is for Tuukka to fight a few times.

Yah 5 years, in this cap age, would have been better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"physical, can fight when he has to (fought westgarth as well)"

That's when long term deals are "A" Ok...man all we need is for Tuukka to fight a few times.

Yah 5 years, in this cap age, would have been better.

Reading never was your strong point.  Way to grab one aspect, quote it and run a story.  You must have worked in the media.    Good job.  

I think cowen will be worth more then 3.5m per.  His ice time will increase this year.  He can play in all situations and is 22.  

8 yrs of 7m is gonna be hard to watch.  8 yrs of 20 plus minutes at 3.5 m much more easy to swallow.  

PS.  I forgot sissy sally sandog hates a good hockey fight.  Or any violence.   Ringette should make a comeback.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

NAS - not signed.  Senators put this on the table; Cowen has not accepted.  Maybe he thinks the term is insane?

Book, I was surprised when I heard the offer because I think Cowen would've been silly to accept it. That would be a great deal for the Sens. If they think he's worth the money for the first 5 years (22-27) then he'd be considered a steal in the last 3 years (28-30) of the deal. I see his game as being similar to McQuaid's but that he's a step above him in all aspects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Book, I was surprised when I heard the offer because I think Cowen would've been silly to accept it. That would be a great deal for the Sens. If they think he's worth the money for the first 5 years (22-27) then he'd be considered a steal in the last 3 years (28-30) of the deal. I see his game as being similar to McQuaid's but that he's a step above him in all aspects.

[/QUOTE]

Very good comparison.  I agree.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very good comparison.  I agree.  

[/QUOTE]

Cowen is big, strong and fearless. I really like his game. If you'd asked me before this thread how many points he had I would've told you the truth. I had absolutely no idea. You could've told me he had anywhere fom 5 to 50 and I still would've said he was good because he is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Biggest thing would be that Cowen has 30 lbs on McQuaid even though he's only an inch taller, and I would say he's still faster and more nimble.  He's already a good defenseman, he'll never be a great defenseman.  I would say there's a risk of him following guys like McLaren or Hannan who lose a bit of their foot speed and are quickly exposed, but that's as he ages.

Sens clearly want him long term, but Melnyk is the kind of owner who will prefer to pay you less overall if the deal works out.  That, I think, is driving this.  I thought I heard a rumour that Cowen wanted big money - $5M+.  Can't find it now.  Might have been a radio thing?

Sections
Shortcuts