Sens & Habs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Sens & Habs

That was one of the craziest hockey games I've ever seen!!

I hope Bourque gets suspended!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Go sens. Im rooting for the sens and glad the B's didnt meet them in the first round. Im also hoping the Isles can knock off the pens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Total embarassment the diving the sucker punching the stick work and most of all subban. If theres no discipline to at least one player and im thinkng should be 2, then whatkind of message does this send ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

After last night's display, I have returned to my deep down true feelings. 

I HATE THEM WILL ALL OF THE FIRE OF HELL.

^This!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/05/did-you-see-that-habs-sens-let-fists-fly.html

Watching White eat Cowens punches was icing on the cake along with Maclean calling the timeout late in the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Total embarassment the diving the sucker punching the stick work and most of all subban. If theres no discipline to at least one player and im thinkng should be 2, then whatkind of message does this send ?

Wally, who should be suspended?  I know a lot of people here are thinking suspension are warranted, but even White's slash job on Cowan wasn't really bad.  They commited the penalties and were called for them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I absolutely loved Cowan's response to Whites slash on Zack Smith, quick and immediate and overwhelming. I agree w/ Bruinfaninnewjersey if the Bs don't win I'd like to see Ottawa win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I also loved in the 1st min of the gm when Subban went for the big hit and Condra saw it coming and avoided it then clipped him in the face. Probably should've been a penalty but I still loved it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

This game was a total embarrassment for any Habs fan.

The diving began right away.  Subban got hit on the side of the visor and went down holding his mouth (and, of course, laid there on the ice for a few extra seconds).  Right after that, Senator Player bumped Price which sent Price down like a ton of bricks.  Even honest guy Brandon Prust got into the act, going full Kovalev after a light tap to the GLOVE.

Then the fighting began.  White starts hacking away and then gets his face punched in by Cowen.  Neil, Phillips and Kassian also laid good beatings.

To get revenge, the Resident Throw Up Subban jumps Kyle Turris.  Seriously?  Kyle Turris?  Was MacLean's grandmother not available.

Then Prust gives Conacher one to the head.  Before Conacher can adjust his helmet, Gallagher drops his gloves and punches him in the face.

To end the Hab-foolery, Therrien cries in the press conference about MacLean calling a time out.

A very good friend of mine in Florida is a big Habs fan.  Being one of the few people I know down there, we talk about hockey all the time and it's always Bruins and Habs talk.  Over the course of the past year, I've really softened up on my "I HATE THE HABS" stance.  Their players have been likeable (who doesn't like Travis Moen and Brandon Prust?) and their rookies are exciting.

I noticed this NAS and it didn't look very good on you, so glad to have you back in the fold. ;-p

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

NAS said it: a disgrace and an embarassment.

There are 2 ways to respond to getting your ar$e kicked in a playoff game. The first is to continue to play a solid game, battle to the end, and set the tone that while you may be beaten on this night, you're unbowed and are ready to start from scracth the next.

The second is the one the Habs chose: allow the winning team to push you to the breaking point and when getting there, totally lose your composure, degenerating into cheap tactics in a foolish attempt to "send a message".

The Habs have a team that could have attempted the first and probably done so successfully. They wouldn't have won the game, but they could have at least generated enough momentum, even when being soundly outplayed, to give themselves something to hang their hats on. That the chose the latter is dumb for several reasons--but the biggest is that they don't even have the kind of team needed to go throw their weight around. That's not who they are or how they succeed, and to choose that route even without losing their composure and professionalism is just plain stupid.

They failed in every facet of the game last night. The one and only thing about which they can feel fortunate is that even a thumping like the one they took counts as much in the score as a OT goal scored on a fluke. It's only one game.

What matters more is how they respond. There are 2 more games in their season if they choose to go down this road again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I also loved in the 1st min of the gm when Subban went for the big hit and Condra saw it coming and avoided it then clipped him in the face. Probably should've been a penalty but I still loved it.

Spot on, and this is what PK had improved upon over the course of the season, and stepped back several paces last night. That play (and I don't think it was a penalty: it seemed like a defensive move by Condra, and only caught PK in the chops because Subban was swooping in to make the hit) rattled Subban, and knocked him completely off his game. PK gets knocked for selfishness, which in years past has been completely fair--but not so much this season. Last night was pure selfishness: everything he did last night he did for PK.

I imagine Bergevin was steaming last night: this is the anti-thesis of the culture he is attempting to put in place in Montreal (and over the course of the season, mostly succeeded in beginning).

On another note, someone tell David Desharnais that guys who sign new, long-term contracts that pay them quite well are expected to perform in the playoffs. In Boston, Claude sat Milan Lucic for poor, uninspired play. Sure, it was a regular season game, but it seemed to at least partially send a message to Lucic, who has certainly had some very solid moments since that game. There's no way Desharnais should be in the lineup over Jeff Halpern tomorrow night: Haplern isn't expected to score, but he added way more in Game 2 than Desharnais has produced in the entire series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

did anyone catch the verbal fight between Pachioretty and Subban? Another sign things were totally off the rails. I *think* Subban was upset because of sucker pass Pachiorety made....but can't be sure. But you didn't have to be much of a lip reader....to know he wasn't pleased.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This game was a total embarrassment for any Habs fan.

The diving began right away.  Subban got hit on the side of the visor and went down holding his mouth (and, of course, laid there on the ice for a few extra seconds).  Right after that, Senator Player bumped Price which sent Price down like a ton of bricks.  Even honest guy Brandon Prust got into the act, going full Kovalev after a light tap to the GLOVE.

Then the fighting began.  White starts hacking away and then gets his face punched in by Cowen.  Neil, Phillips and Kassian also laid good beatings.

To get revenge, the Resident Throw Up Subban jumps Kyle Turris.  Seriously?  Kyle Turris?  Was MacLean's grandmother not available.

Then Prust gives Conacher one to the head.  Before Conacher can adjust his helmet, Gallagher drops his gloves and punches him in the face.

To end the Hab-foolery, Therrien cries in the press conference about MacLean calling a time out.

A very good friend of mine in Florida is a big Habs fan.  Being one of the few people I know down there, we talk about hockey all the time and it's always Bruins and Habs talk.  Over the course of the past year, I've really softened up on my "I HATE THE HABS" stance.  Their players have been likeable (who doesn't like Travis Moen and Brandon Prust?) and their rookies are exciting.

A very good summation of what I saw.  Disgraceful.  I don't know how you root for this team.  Subban, Gallagher and White all throwing haymakers before their opponent even knows he's in a fight.  It's getting harder and harder to believe this type of cowardice isn't somehow a part of the organizational philosophy.  How could some many guys on the same act like such pansies?  It's baffling.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Spot on, and this is what PK had improved upon over the course of the season, and stepped back several paces last night. That play (and I don't think it was a penalty: it seemed like a defensive move by Condra, and only caught PK in the chops because Subban was swooping in to make the hit) rattled Subban, and knocked him completely off his game. PK gets knocked for selfishness, which in years past has been completely fair--but not so much this season. Last night was pure selfishness: everything he did last night he did for PK.

I imagine Bergevin was steaming last night: this is the anti-thesis of the culture he is attempting to put in place in Montreal (and over the course of the season, mostly succeeded in beginning).

On another note, someone tell David Desharnais that guys who sign new, long-term contracts that pay them quite well are expected to perform in the playoffs. In Boston, Claude sat Milan Lucic for poor, uninspired play. Sure, it was a regular season game, but it seemed to at least partially send a message to Lucic, who has certainly had some very solid moments since that game. There's no way Desharnais should be in the lineup over Jeff Halpern tomorrow night: Haplern isn't expected to score, but he added way more in Game 2 than Desharnais has produced in the entire series.

That was my take on his antics too Kennedy. Subban should want to perform better for his teammates but it seems he's more concerned with being in the spotlight. I know playoffs aren't supposed to count in awards voting but I've got to say, PK hasn't look like a Norris candidate in these 3 games. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Just read that the NHL will not administer discipline for scabs/ott game 3.

Now that is as disgusting as a subban dive. The Rene Bourque elbow was clearly intentional and warrants at least a game or 2. The way the NHL and shanny handle these matters has become absurd and disgraceful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

Just read that the NHL will not administer discipline for scabs/ott game 3.

Now that is as disgusting as a subban dive. The Rene Bourque elbow was clearly intentional and warrants at least a game or 2. The way the NHL and shanny handle these matters has become absurd and disgraceful.

I don't know that anything was horribly blatant, but I thought that three separate plays could have resulted in disciplinary action.

-Bourque's elbow.  So far from a hockey play it was shocking.  I guess the recipient needs to fall to the ice and at least fake an injury for a suspension.  Why Ference got suspened and Bourque doesn't is baffling.  It's the exact same thing.  And I agreed with the Ference suspension.

-Gallagher instigating a fight in the last five minutes.  Not sure why they took that off the board.  Seemed obvious.  He threw a haymaker before Conacher was even in the fight.  You can like or dislike the rule, but there is one.  He broke it.  The punishment is supposed to be 'automatic'.

-Shooting the puck at an opponent that isn't related to any hockey play (and happens in the waning seconds) should be suspendable.  It's reckless and totally unnecessary to the sport.

Whatever though, none of them caused injury fortunately.  But that brings us to the key point, given the Gryba hit and suspension.  Shanahan's review in this series is clear -- it's all about the injury, not the play.  That is a horrible precedent because players can possibly learn from that about what they can and can't do.  The message is "do whatever you want, but if you happen to injure somebody you're going to be suspended".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This has been the Habs problem the past few years,  they are not built to play that kind of hockey. They brought in Prust thinking he would be their Milan Lucic, that is drop your gloves and fight a la Lucic.  He's not !   A team like the Habs if they want to play the tough game it'll always translate as dirty.  The days of Kordic and Nilan are long gone.

Proof if this kid Gallagher , probably the best Hab all season and in the playoffs.  What is he doing dropping the gloves ??? You're not built to play like that , just skate and use your hockey sense.  Although I don't blame him, he's a rookie, I blame the coach and his elders on the team acting like a bunch of morons.  Gallagher did what Marchand would do. 

Where was Pacioretty last night ?  Desharnais ? Michael G Ryder !!!! plenty of blame to go around and next game will be telling if they have any balz, the ones to play hockey that is.

Does Therrien do what he's done this season following a bad Price outing , start Budaj ? I think he does .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Fletch, Shanahan is taking the stance of can shoot someone with a gun but if you miss it's okay.

The only one I might have suspended was Bourque. He just went after him crosschecking and elbowing him to the head,  "intentionally " .   There was a something between he and Turris early in the 3rd so Shanahan could draw to a conclusion that it was retribution on the part of Bourque (just like Marchand and Salo Vancouver game) .  Also Bourque is a repeat offender ! I'm not sure if someone is pulling the strings behind Shanahan, in the end he's the one dishing out the decision and he's looking really really bad.

Gallagher's fight was within the last mins of the game ?  If so it's the refs that Fd up and didn't give him the instigator. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

This has been the Habs problem the past few years,  they are not built to play that kind of hockey. They brought in Prust thinking he would be their Milan Lucic, that is drop your gloves and fight a la Lucic.  He's not !   A team like the Habs if they want to play the tough game it'll always translate as dirty.  The days of Kordic and Nilan are long gone.

Proof if this kid Gallagher , probably the best Hab all season and in the playoffs.  What is he doing dropping the gloves ??? You're not built to play like that , just skate and use your hockey sense.  Although I don't blame him, he's a rookie, I blame the coach and his elders on the team acting like a bunch of morons.  Gallagher did what Marchand would do. 

Where was Pacioretty last night ?  Desharnais ? Michael G Ryder !!!! plenty of blame to go around and next game will be telling if they have any balz, the ones to play hockey that is.

Does Therrien do what he's done this season following a bad Price outing , start Budaj ? I think he does .

I doubt Budaj starts, but at this point nothing would surprise me. But I don't think he was the problem last night. Don't get me wrong: he wasn't good. But after being stellar in Game 2, I doubt he sits after a night where the whole team was horsebleep.

I liked Pacioretty's comments to the media after the game: "Guys like me have to look in the mirror". He's right: he's been a non-factor in the 2 games. But he's certainly been better than Desharnais.

I disagree with you about Prust: they didn't bring him in to be Lucic, because he's not as good as Lucic. They really don't want him dropping the gloves with great regularity: they want him playing the tough, physical hockey that the team has been lacking. Indeed, that has been Montreal's problem, and it was established under Gainey. I do see Bergeron trying to change that: he doesn't want a goon squad because goon squads don't win. But you can't win in the playoffs, at least not 16 games, without having more of a physical edge than what MTL currently possesses--unless you get Patrick Roy/Tim Thomas type of goaltending (and I doubt either could take this team as far as they did their respective Cup winners: both were on superior teams top to bottom).

I don't know if MTL gets past this round or not. I want them to, but if they won't, I won't be that disappointed (unless they play 2 more stinkers like that night; I never want to see that crap again). They remind me a lot of the 2007 Bruins: nobody expected them to be anywhere near what they were, and it built a foundation for what was to come. I don't know if MTL will be able to replicate Boston's success 3-4 years down the road, but I do think what they established this year is a massive step in the right direction. Despite last night's fiasco, they have gone far in establishing a culture that expects success. It won't come right off, but I do think this team has a great chance to consistently contend over the next few years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

NAS said it: a disgrace and an embarassment.

There are 2 ways to respond to getting your ar$e kicked in a playoff game. The first is to continue to play a solid game, battle to the end, and set the tone that while you may be beaten on this night, you're unbowed and are ready to start from scracth the next.

The second is the one the Habs chose: allow the winning team to push you to the breaking point and when getting there, totally lose your composure, degenerating into cheap tactics in a foolish attempt to "send a message".

The Habs have a team that could have attempted the first and probably done so successfully. They wouldn't have won the game, but they could have at least generated enough momentum, even when being soundly outplayed, to give themselves something to hang their hats on. That the chose the latter is dumb for several reasons--but the biggest is that they don't even have the kind of team needed to go throw their weight around. That's not who they are or how they succeed, and to choose that route even without losing their composure and professionalism is just plain stupid.

They failed in every facet of the game last night. The one and only thing about which they can feel fortunate is that even a thumping like the one they took counts as much in the score as a OT goal scored on a fluke. It's only one game.

What matters more is how they respond. There are 2 more games in their season if they choose to go down this road again.

Thank You Kennedy! Your objectivness makes you one of the best Hab fans I ever spoke to. Not to put all the blame on the Habs, but to see a guy like Prust who I always liked; taking dives is really upsetting. In game 1 he took a diving call & even then I stuck up for him against a fellow B's fan & friend. I said I'm giving Prust the benefit of the doubt, because he's not that way. Well...he did it again last night. Didn't get called, but it certainly was a...well I have to say another dive. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Fletch, Shanahan is taking the stance of can shoot someone with a gun but if you miss it's okay.

The only one I might have suspended was Bourque. He just went after him crosschecking and elbowing him to the head,  "intentionally " .   There was a something between he and Turris early in the 3rd so Shanahan could draw to a conclusion that it was retribution on the part of Bourque (just like Marchand and Salo Vancouver game) .  Also Bourque is a repeat offender ! I'm not sure if someone is pulling the strings behind Shanahan, in the end he's the one dishing out the decision and he's looking really really bad.

Gallagher's fight was within the last mins of the game ?  If so it's the refs that Fd up and didn't give him the instigator. 

I don't think even Bourque should be a suspension. Then again, the only suspension that has happened this playoffs that I have been in agreement with has been Abdelkader's in Detroit, so what do I know? I wouldn't have sat Ference or Gryba (and I think Phaneuf not being suspended was correct). Like you, though, I'm baffled as to what is and what is not suspension-worthy. I hate to think how confusing that is for the players who have to navigate confusing waters every night.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good stuff Kennedy. Theyre a good young team, they certainly have the foundation to be good for the coming years, but right now so much depends on Price. It looks like in this series, if he's not stellar, they will struggle to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't think even Bourque should be a suspension. Then again, the only suspension that has happened this playoffs that I have been in agreement with has been Abdelkader's in Detroit, so what do I know? I wouldn't have sat Ference or Gryba (and I think Phaneuf not being suspended was correct). Like you, though, I'm baffled as to what is and what is not suspension-worthy. I hate to think how confusing that is for the players who have to navigate confusing waters every night.

[/QUOTE]

My verdicts:

Ference - 1 game

Abdelkader - 2 games

Gryba - no suspension

R. Bourque - 1 game (maybe 2 if I thought he was a dooosh in the interview)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I grew up watching hockey in mid to-late 70's and I agree on stuff like this there should not be any suspensions .  I'm just going with what he's deemed suspendable in the past and that's what makes your comment on players (and fans) being confused so true.  It's become a coin toss.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I am also not sure if Bourque should be suspended, but what bothers me is that we know he would be suspected if the play resulted in injury.  I think that at this point the players have no idea what they can and can't do, which is frustrating.  The analogy that you can shoot at someone as long as you miss seems somewhat valid.

My issue with Gallagher is more one of personal disappointment.  I developed such a grudging respect for him this year, as he was such a pain in the neck against the Bruins.  All over the place and I really like his game.  I hated the move last night by both he and Subban of seemingly ducking confrontations all night (rightfully) only to jump the two smallest players on the Sens, out of the blue, during a meaningless 3rd period.  I'm fine with fighting out of frustration, but it just seemed like they wanted to get kicked out of the game for fighting without taking any risk of getting punched.  Subban continuing to wail away while Turris was on his back with both linesmen in there was very low class.

Sections
Shortcuts