Sens' Owner Blasts Cooke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Sens' Owner Blasts Cooke

Eugene Melnyk gives Matt Cooke a blast in this article.  He pretty much states what most outside of Pittsburgh think of him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Sens' Owner Blasts Cooke

But he didn't have an opinion on Cooke until Cooke knocked out Karlsson.

He should have used the podium to make a call for all the super dirty players to be removed from the game.  Only calling out Cooke at this point comes off as reactionary and weak.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I agree. Would've been a much better move if he picked up the phone and asked one of his GM friends to call out goons for who they are. I bet someone would have. It's Cooke. There'd be no lashback if, say, Feaster said these things.  Let someone else do your dirty work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I love how all the commentators and majority of those who have spoken said its a freak accident, where as it cannot be proven it was or was not. Then you wonder why in the back of so many minds think it was intent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

He is a passionate owner who wants to see his team win and has just seen his bread and butter player lost for the season.

Waiting a few days to cool off and think it out before speaking to the media would have been a better option for him in my opinion. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Melnyk looked at the video saw what he saw, then was asked about it by the media and gave an honest answer. The answer as RHO states "what everyone knows outside of Pittsburgh". Except for the few in the media that have NHL stamped on their checks (NHL Network and NBC Sports Network commentators) and the few that are in denial.

Cudos to Melnyk for speaking his mind and not towing the NHL line like allot of people.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He should have used the podium to make a call for all the super dirty players to be removed from the game.  Only calling out Cooke at this point comes off as reactionary and weak.

It would have packed more of a wallop had he done so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The more I watch it, the more I think it probably wasn't intentional, but its just so hard to give that guy the benefit of the doubt.  We'll never know, and I'm still not sure why he goes in with his leg lifted like that.  I do kind of wonder if he was trying to kick out Karlsson's skate instead.

Agree that the belly-aching in Ottawa seems reactionary more than anything else.  Like the guy who's outraged about speeding tickets ten minutes after getting one.

I won't shed any tears if Chris Neil comes to a more conclusinve decision on punishment than the league. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Melnyk looked at the video saw what he saw, then was asked about it by the media and gave an honest answer. The answer as RHO states "what everyone knows outside of Pittsburgh". Except for the few in the media that have NHL stamped on their checks (NHL Network and NBC Sports Network commentators) and the few that are in denial.

Cudos to Melnyk for speaking his mind and not towing the NHL line like allot of people.

Yep, can't get over how many people think this is a freak accident. Not sure how many players go into the boards with a leg that high than stomp it down against the boards several inches off the ice, which is where his foot would have landed if Karlsson wasnt there..Scum bag player who got away with another one. And Melnyk is right look at how many times he has not been suspended...Two that standout, Savard and kicking Chris Osgood in the head...If this were done against a Bruin, the opinions here would be drastically different..

Hope Chris Neil ends his career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I want to see Cooke motionless and taken out on a stretcher. He doesn't deserve to play in the NHL or any other organized hockey assocition, not even a beer league. I'm not sure prison would straighten Cooke out, as he has a hibitual nature to him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

The more I watch it, the more I think it probably wasn't intentional, but its just so hard to give that guy the benefit of the doubt.  We'll never know, and I'm still not sure why he goes in with his leg lifted like that.  I do kind of wonder if he was trying to kick out Karlsson's skate instead.

Agree that the belly-aching in Ottawa seems reactionary more than anything else.  Like the guy who's outraged about speeding tickets ten minutes after getting one.

I won't shed any tears if Chris Neil comes to a more conclusinve decision on punishment than the league. 

If any other Penguin forward does it I doubt this play gets talked about as being a dirty play. Cooke will be watched closely and questioned on every thing he does until the day he hangs them up because of his past stupidity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I want to see Cooke motionless and taken out on a stretcher. He doesn't deserve to play in the NHL or any other organized hockey assocition, not even a beer league. I'm not sure prison would straighten Cooke out, as he has a hibitual nature to him.

Exactly, how many times does it need to happen? He was sneaky enough to get away with it again..i don't think he meant to cut his ACL, but I do think he meant to kick him. Wasn't it Lucic who did something borderline and got suspended because Shanahan pointed to his past conduct? I don't wish bad things to happen to people, but this clown needs to be taken out before he kills someone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Couldn't agree any more with that sentiment. It's time to take out the garbage, and if that means lighting up Crosby and Malkn to return the favor, so be it. Turn the rats on eachother. 

I wonder what Neil would have done if he was on the B's when Savard went down. Pretty sure Cooke would have left the ice a bloody mess. Total respect for that guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

He's had opinions on incidents he considered over-the-line before, San.  Admittedly it was after the Rangers' Carl Hagelin concussed Alfredsson in last year's playoffs when he wanted stiffer suspensions or an all-out ban for repeaters. 

In an article by Bruce Garrioch (April 19, 2012) Melnyk said the players should be tiered as 'A', 'B' and 'C'. For example if 'C' player takes out an 'A' player, then the offending team should be forced to lose one of its 'A' players.   

"It's very simple: You rank your players 'A', 'B' and 'C'. You take out of my 'A' players during a playoff series, I get to select one of your 'A' players that's not going to play. Forget about the goon, he doesn't care if he plays again, he's getting paid, but give me a choice of who I can take off of your roster. It's no different than chess: You take away one of my kings, I take away one of yours. That will put pressure on a lot of these players not to do repeat hits." - Eugene Melnyk. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Yep, can't get over how many people think this is a freak accident. Not sure how many players go into the boards with a leg that high than stomp it down against the boards several inches off the ice, which is where his foot would have landed if Karlsson wasnt there..Scum bag player who got away with another one. And Melnyk is right look at how many times he has not been suspended...Two that standout, Savard and kicking Chris Osgood in the head...If this were done against a Bruin, the opinions here would be drastically different..

There will always be a stink of intent and suspicion surrounding this guy.  I'd like to think most of the other players around the league also think this.  If Cooke suffered the same fate as his victims I'd imagine there would be rejoicing in the privacy of some locker rooms around the NHL. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

At first, I thought it was accidental. But the more I watch that clip the more I can believe that it wasn't. Because his left leg goes up and it comes down, not straight down  but on an angle. AND. He reaches out with his foot when it's up. Like he's trying to peel some cheese. And because it's Cooke, I really believe him when he says " i didn't mean to cut his tendon" but I'm looking at it now like he didn't care what he cut, as long as he did some kind of damage. Like Byers said on "Off the Record" only he will really know what he intended to do. By the way. Byers hates Cooke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Exactly the same from Lemieux and Shero, who didn't give a hoot about hits to the head until their precious Sidney was taken out for awhile, now they're the biggest proponents of banning headshots in the league. Same with the outrage in Habtown about the Pacioretty "incident", they wanted Chara thrown in jail, now Gallagher does it, ah who cares?  The Melnyk's, Lemieux's, Molson's of the world could likely care less unless its their prized possession, which makes sense, but all very self serving. Why didn't Melnyk lobby for Cooke to be sent to the Colonial League after Savard got nailed? I guess he didn't care. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Couldn't agree any more with that sentiment. It's time to take out the garbage, and if that means lighting up Crosby and Malkn to return the favor, so be it. Turn the rats on eachother. 

I wonder what Neil would have done if he was on the B's when Savard went down. Pretty sure Cooke would have left the ice a bloody mess. Total respect for that guy.

Big tough Chris Neil takes a double minor for roughing and that's retribution worthy of your respect? What a joke. Neil yapped at Crosby until Engelland came over and asked him to go. Neil acted like his gloves were sewn on. Yeah, mad respect for a guy who sees his teams best player hurt and takes a double roughing minor to "even things up". He's a joke. No surprise you're impressed by him though. Small minds are easily impressed I suppose. Selective Highlighter out!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to JWensink's comment:

Big tough Chris Neil takes a double minor for roughing and that's retribution worthy of your respect? What a joke. Neil yapped at Crosby until Engelland came over and asked him to go. Neil acted like his gloves were sewn on. Yeah, mad respect for a guy who sees his teams best player hurt and takes a double roughing minor to "even things up". He's a joke. No surprise you're impressed by him though. Small minds are easily impressed I suppose. Selective Highlighter out!

I agree, not a big Neil fan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'll buy a Chris Neil jersey if he TKO's Matt Cooke ala Evander Kane...I'll buy Chris Neil the two front teeth he's been missing for a while if he does it via suckerpunch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Like he ended Chris Drury's career.. Sorry not a big fan of this joker...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Unfortunately Cooke's reputation follows him, and I can't stand the guy, but hearing Eugene basically become judge, jury , and executioner is just plain wrong.. I understand the emotion of losing your top player... But his remarks were hurtful , judgemental, and unfounded .. I actually felt sorry for Cooke when they asked him about Eugene's comments... He looked absolutely devastated that a team owner would viciously attack him based on reputation  alone..

Not for a minute do I think a player , even Cooke, would ever slice an opponent with a skate  intentionally ....no way..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Screw going after cooke the pens prize player is crosby target him against the boards in the same manner. That will address the issue and push the league to look into it. Take crosby out for another season and see how fast the league makes some changes. Karlsson for cooke is not an even trade, crosby for karlsson sounds better. I would throw the game against the pens and just aim at their top players. Injuries hurt more than a measly 3 game ban. Were was mario on this one he hates cheap "players" remmber his comments last season what a classless team as a whole.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Like he ended Chris Drury's career.. Sorry not a big fan of this joker...

Thank you cowboys.  A very good point I think about often.  Would prefer the two of them knock each other out...

The Drury hit was the exact same thing as the Savard hit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

Screw going after cooke the pens prize player is crosby target him against the boards in the same manner. That will address the issue and push the league to look into it. Take crosby out for another season and see how fast the league makes some changes. Karlsson for cooke is not an even trade, crosby for karlsson sounds better. I would throw the game against the pens and just aim at their top players. Injuries hurt more than a measly 3 game ban. Were was mario on this one he hates cheap "players" remmber his comments last season what a classless team as a whole.

I heard former Leaf captain Wendel Clark on THE FAN 590 explain that's how it was done back when he played.  There was none of the guys-fighting-because-someone-took-exception-to-a-hit stuff that we often see today.  He said the guys on the bench would be talking about punishing the star player(s) on the other team every chance they got in the game almost immediately after a dirty play that injured one of their teammates.