serious question for those who have suffered concussions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

serious question for those who have suffered concussions

i've had my "bell rung" a few times. some not too bad, a couple more serious. NOT ONCE after being concussed, was i capable of ANY IMMEDIATE REACTION or THOUGHT. i simply "saw stars" for a couple seconds, and then "came to"- trying to figure out what just happened. curious to hear what others experiences were like...was anyone able to form a thought and react immediately after sustaining a concussion? through my experiences, this is not possible. are we to believe that while ryan miller's brain is banging against the inside of his skull, he was having coherent thoughts? he acted immediately by intentionally swinging his stick at lucic. these are not the actions of a concussed person. again this is my experience with getting knocked, anyone else with evidence to confirm/deny my assertions? if you've never experienced a concussion, you can't answer this question, it's impossible. all those with scrambled brains... nows your time to speak up. which leads to another point altogether, does everyone that gets knocked these days get a concussion diagnosis, just to be safe?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: serious question for those who have suffered concussions

I've had the late-breaking concussion where the hit that caused it didn't cause a noticeable 'gap' in what I was doing partly because the body kept following the last message it received and then I was back after that moment of static.  One I remember as was after a helmet to helmet collision with a running back - I was a safety, so we both had a run at it.  Both got stood up by it, and it took a second for my legs to kick in and drive through an actual tackle.  I played the rest of the game, went home, started to get nausea and a major headache.  This was a looooong time ago, so I didn't do anything about it - well, aspirin.  I wasn't right for a while, but I didn't miss a practice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Never a diagnosed concussion. One time I launched into the starting center on the other team who was also the starting full back of the schools football team.

I awoke on my stomache facing the ice to see the ice covered in my own blood. Then I noticed that the metal cage I had been wearing was crushed into my nose (though it didnt cause anyharm). Just instead of a shape like ) it went ( inwards towards my face.

I went into the locker room and looked into the mirror and I had completely bitten through my lip which I had to go to the hospital and have stitched back together. That night I went and played a game for my Junior team after our highschool game where I was injured that afternoon.

Now that I hear about what the new guidelines are for concussions I cant believe that team trainers/the hospital let me go back and play another game. I felt pretty crappy for the next 2 days so I guess it was a concussion.

Though at the time no1 knew, not even me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

thanks for sharing BB. i've never experienced what you did i guess. my experience has always been...1) knock to head 2) 1-2 seconds of blackness, with bright lights  3) then 2 or 3 seconds to figure out where i am and get my bearings 4) range of side effects, from headaches, nausea, sleeplessness, and lack of appetite in the days following depending on the severity of the hit. it just seemed to me that miller had his wits immediately after the collision, maybe this is possible- and still have a concussion. it just has not been my experience that's all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think this has an awful lot to do with the individual.  However, I've had the concussion where I was totally disoriented and vomiting an hour afterwards, and I have had the 'bell-ringing' concussion which you can kind of shake it off although you don't feel 100% right.

To your point, in both cases there was no way I had the coordination or awareness to swing a stick in retaliation immediately after hitting the ground.

I'm not one of the people here ripping on Miller, but I am convinced that either he got the concussion later in the game (Seguin's hit?) or there was no concussion at all.

Also, if he got a concussion from the Lucic hit, then the Buffalo trainer is  woefully inept, since he inspected Miller for 5 minutes and then left him in the game (which should only happen if he can rule out any concussion symptoms).

Miller seemed pretty sharp and alert with the press after the game too.  It just seems odd.  Who knows though, I hate to accuse the guy of faking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

I had a mild concussion, got ran into by two players in my crease we all went down and my d-man landed on my head as it hit the ice. No way was i thinking about anything other than pain the split second it happens. Taking a swing at someone was not an option, never mind staying in the game! Nausea, migraines, stars, some pretty nice colors, nothing else. As far as i am concerned, miller, you have been called out. My guess is some montreal style embellishment after the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: serious question for those who have suffered concussions:
    thanks for sharing BB. i've never experienced what you did i guess. my experience has always been...1) knock to head 2) 1-2 seconds of blackness, with bright lights  3) then 2 or 3 seconds to figure out where i am and get my bearings 4) range of side effects, from headaches, nausea, sleeplessness, and lack of appetite in the days following depending on the severity of the hit. it just seemed to me that miller had his wits immediately after the collision, maybe this is possible- and still have a concussion. it just has not been my experience that's all.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Yes im with you every time ive been either KO'd or midlly concussed it has been 2-5 seconds of darkness then a "Where am I what just happened moment" followed by feeling ok but just a bit off.

I didnt know you could have a concussion without blacking out. But the question is does miller have a  "concussion" or concussion like symptoms? Associated with just hitting your head hard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I've taken blackout shots to the head that didn't result in any lingering symptoms and I've taken mild hits to the head where I've finished a game and the next day a strange ringing started and it was hard to focus for about a week. A concussion is bruising/swelling of your outer brain area, and just like a bruise to any other part of your body the progression from red to blue to green (healing) can take a different path every time. That said, I don't think Miller has a concussion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I've had multiple concussions I'm sure (one diagnosed).  The worst was during a football (soccer) match. While running after the ball and slide tackling a guy to stop an advance his knee went square into the side of my head.  I remember being on my back and trying to get up and after I did not really hear anything for about a minute.  Surreal feeling, intense pain, dulled senses, lack of awareness, almost ringing in the ears. If you've had a concussion you don't immediately retaliate, no way.  It took me months to feel better.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

2 diagnosed concussions.
    1 car accident, vehicle was upside down.  First I remember was being outside the far watching the wheels spinning, the driver dragged me out.  So I was out maybe a minute. last I remember was sometime before the accident, no memory whatsoever of the accident itself.  Hospitalized, 3 day headache.
    1 bike racing accident.  Much less severe. 20 stitches in the back of the head.  Even with stars swirling I immediately was going for the person responsible, but held down as people saw all the blood and were telling me I was hurt and needed to wait for an amubulance.  Was hospitalized for that one, too.  Come to think of it, I was already sitting up when I focused on someone to go after, so there was some period of time from impact until I reacted.

So from my experience, I say it matters much upon the severity of the concussion.  The harder you're hit, the more unlikely you are to respond.

I find it hard to believe Miller was concussed by that.  Watch the replay, Miller immediately swings his stick the moment he hits the ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERA-GY2K1o

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I've had a delayed onset concussion from playing....raced for a puck to stop icing and got tripped up. We both flew into the boards, me head-first. I was a little dizzy but not bad, sat one shift and came back to finish the game. Felt fine afterwards, showered, went out to eat, watched some tv and as soon as I laid down about 6 hours later, I instantly got nauseous. I was a disaster the next day; blurred vision, upset stomach, difficulty focusing. Had to leave school early. Took me about 7 days to feel right again, but it passed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

fun with concussions:

When your team mate (or whoever) comes back from the concussion, make up some really funny or embarassing stuff that he (supposedly) was saying while he was coming back to consciousness.

We had a punishment practice once and were doing a million blue line sprints and one guy tripped into the boards and he was out.  He had this unattractive girl who was interested in him, and we all agreed to say that he was repeating her name - and saying various other things.

We teased him forever about it.

I don't know if anyone ever told him we made it up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StiHacka. Show StiHacka's posts

I got concussed once when doing air on skis, I fell on the back of my head. I passed out for a few seconds - according to my friends as I have no memory of that. It took me a few minutes before I could coordinate my limbs and make it to the bottom of the hill and I was pretty sick for the rest of the day. I did not see a doctor but I was obviously concussed and dizzy for a few days. I had to go to work the next day though.

Miller is a faker. My mom told me never to trust people with eyes too close to each other and he is almost a cyclops.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I never saw Miller get him in the head. I saw Lucic smacking the back of his shoulder. Saw his helmet/ goalie mask fly off and him falling on his a*s and not hitting his head to the ice. I didn't know you could get a concussion from whiplash, which is what I saw.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You most definitely can get a concussion from whiplash.  Your brain floats. Concussions happen when your head moves (or stops) quickly and your skull strikes your floating brain and bruises it. It does not actually happen from the impact from the strike because there is a fluid barrier. If the strike causes movement your brain can be injured, regardless of whether you were hit in the head. That said, I think the Sabers exaggerated Miller's injury.

I never saw Miller get him in the head. I saw Lucic smacking the back of his shoulder. Saw his helmet/ goalie mask fly off and him falling on his a*s and not hitting his head to the ice. I didn't know you could get a concussion from whiplash, which is what I saw.
    Posted by Stuke50

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Had a couple.  I hit my head a lot.  I get a lot of headaches now

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by Stuke50

Hal Gill gave a concussion to Lindros with a hit square in the chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPWRhyTWxyw

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Me've two or one concussions in me day. My girl tell me I'm communicate to hard with. She say I can't form sentence, but she not know nothing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Seriously, though. Concussions are caused by inertia. If your skull decelerates really quickly, your brain will hit it.
    I've had a few (some when I was a baby, but we won't talk about those......f***ing A, Mom).
    Never had one in hockey, but two in football, and (wait for it) one in baseball.
    Concussion #1 (in baseball) - Little league - typical collision at home plate (I was playing catcher), but I didn't have the mask on, and the bat was conveniently positioned so that the base of my cranium hit the barrel. I laid there motionless, and had headaches all summer. I remembered him coming at me, but don't remember the collision.

Concussion #2 - Freshman year of football - I was 110 pounds, and thought I would make the coaches think highly of me by trying to run through a very good upperclassman player in a tackling drill......Fail. The crown of his helmet went right into my earhole. I remember it all, but I blacked out on contact. I knew my eyes were open, but I couldn't see for a solid 5-10 seconds. Then the spots. Then it was clear, with a few bells ringing. No lingering side effects.

Concussion #3 - Senior year of football - dropped back to pass, and the center stepped to pick up the DT to the right, guard went to the DT on the left.....oh hey, all state MLB, thanks for picking me up, carrying me for 3 steps, and slamming my head into the frozen ground (it was in the middle of november in northern maine). It was painful, but I kept playing. However, I think this one was the worst as far as long-term effects. I'm pretty sure that my speech isn't what it used to be.

Concussions are a strange thing. I'm pretty sure that it all depends on where the bruise is on the brain. If it's in the temporal lobe, you'll see some effects in your speech; you damage the left side of your cerebrum, and your math skills might take a hit (permanently or temporarily, depending on severity), etc.

Miller may have had one; who knows. Doctors have been more prone recently to consider a simple blow to the head a "concussion". If you got a concussion in the 80's, you were probably pretty messed up. Now, it might just be a little whack and you feel funky.

Today's standards? Maybe he had one. Back in the 70's/80's? Don't be a wuss and protect the net.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

well...it seems from everyones testimonies that either a) ryan miller never sustained a concussion, or b) it was VERY MILD, if anything at all.  excelent stuff my fellow bruins fans, every once in a while we actually have inteligent exchanges, without the drama. this was one of those times. next topic on the agenda... will the bruins lose another game this year? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

In the days when hockey helmets were not used very much, I had a severe concussion where I went from flying along the ice to waking up in the hospital. I too wonder how creative Regier is in reporting Miller's injury. Miller was evaluated, left in the game, and left with a stiff neck that much later claimed as a concussion. The fact is that Miller has been having one of his poorer seasons so far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i think we are forgetting, he was cleared TWICE to play, during the game, and after a 20 minute evaluation between periods. hogwash

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

My head hurt after every football game that I ever played in. That doesn't mean that I sustained a concussion every game.

Pick the thong out of your a**, Ryan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It really tweaks me that sites like TSN state in black and white that Lucic's hit caused Miller's concussion. According to who? Not the trainer, who came out and spoke with a smiling Miller and left him in the game. Nor the analysis that came later between periods. Are the writers now doctors? They're only saying that hit was the cause b/c Ruff said so. Hogwash.

Listen, maybe he does have a concussion. He's had them before, and who's to say he doesn't have a mild one now. But as others have stated, Miller was in several other collisions later in the game, any of which could've caused concussion-like symptoms. Then there's his actions after the game. I still smell a rat....and don't believe for a second the the Lucic hit directly caused it definitively. If so, shame on the trainers for letting him stay in the game, and there should be repercussions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

paging dr. recchi...

Sections
Shortcuts