Serious Question to 49 North

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Serious Question to 49 North

In Response to Serious Question to 49 North:
    Why has Vancouver had so many uniform changes, especially within the last 5 years?  Is this to sell more jerseys?   Is this because fans weren't happy with the previous versions? Does this bother you? Most teams that do this are desperate to look for reasons to be a better organization. Why did they combine the original logo with the 3rd jersey design with the orca coming out of the "C"? Also, why is the orca/whatever it is, the choice of the portion of the logo?  For the record, I actually own an authentic Bure jersey from '92/'93 with the Cup patch on it. This was when Vancouver had cool jerseys and were fun to root for as a West Conf team heading into the year they made that great run in the'94 Final, which is still the best SC I'v ever seen. I like early/mid 90s version the best, followed by the original and then redesigned one in the mid/late 80s when they ditced the V on the body of the shirt.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

As a diehard 40-year Canucks fan, I can say with complete honesty that the number of changes in the Canucks jersey/logo have been an embarrassment.  I was a huge fan of the original C "stick in rink" logo, which has been modified somewhat to become a current alternate jersey. 

Obviously, I'm glad that they got rid of the "Flying V", which must go down in history as one of the worst jerseys of all time (almost as bad as the Houston Astros "layered jello" look). 

The only good thing about the Flying V was that they also created the "plate of spaghetti" skate logo, which I have a particular fondness for, because it was the one worn by the Canucks when they made their Cup run vs. the Rangers (which was actually in 93-94).  The Trevor Linden black "C" jersey is the one that I wear most times, even today.

The "whale" came about because of the reorganization team ownership, and the name of the parent company "Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment".  I've never been a fan of the "Orca C" logo, but it's a bit more palatable now, since they've gone back to the original blue/green/white colour scheme (always my favourite).

I suspect that the team is, as we speak, contemplating yet another change, perhaps to the "Johnny Canuck" motif.  This generates another heavy sigh from me, about my schizophrenic team, and it's 40-year search for a lasting identity.  What can I say?  They're my team, and I love them, but please! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

the flying v's were dreamed up by some consultants back in the 80's...no idea what the downhill skate was about?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diggz. Show Diggz's posts

In Response to Serious Question to 49 North:
    Why has Vancouver had so many uniform changes, especially within the last 5 years?  Is this to sell more jerseys?   Is this because fans weren't happy with the previous versions? Does this bother you? Most teams that do this are desperate to look for reasons to be a better organization. Why did they combine the original logo with the 3rd jersey design with the orca coming out of the "C"? Also, why is the orca/whatever it is, the choice of the portion of the logo?  For the record, I actually own an authentic Bure jersey from '92/'93 with the Cup patch on it. This was when Vancouver had cool jerseys and were fun to root for as a West Conf team heading into the year they made that great run in the'94 Final, which is still the best SC I'v ever seen. I like early/mid 90s version the best, followed by the original and then redesigned one in the mid/late 80s when they ditced the V on the body of the shirt.

King - I agree, I loved the Canucks jerseys from the early to mid 90's.  I have no idea why they got rid of them.  The ones from '98 through '07 were awful, especially the third jersey.  I actually don't mind the late 80's mustard yellow jerseys, either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

49North, one thing I've really been struck by walking around town during the final, is just how many jerseys there have actually been. It seems you could have a group of 40 Canucks fans and they'd all be wearing different jerseys. I've seen jerseys that I forgot even existed (like their red and blue ones with the Orca logo or the red plate of spaghetti ones). When I see the rare fellow brave Bruins fan walking around Vancouver (seems it's getting more dangerous to wear my jersey in public by the day), they're all in Black and Gold, always.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Serious Question to 49 North:
    49North, one thing I've really been struck by walking around town during the final, is just how many jerseys there have actually been. It seems you could have a group of 40 Canucks fans and they'd all be wearing different jerseys. I've seen jerseys that I forgot even existed (like their red and blue ones with the Orca logo or the red plate of spaghetti ones). When I see the rare fellow brave Bruins fan walking around Vancouver (seems it's getting more dangerous to wear my jersey in public by the day), they're all in Black and Gold, always.
    Posted by red75

I agree;  consistency in the look of a team is a great thing.  I wish that the Canucks had kept the original green/blue with the original logo.  It's a classic look that still works today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, well, we had pooh bear jersies for too long - and I mean, one game would have been too long.  The great thing about having an 85 year history?  History.  Don't mess with the Spoked B.  (Though I'm pleased they didn't stick with the baby-pyook brown and cream barber pole and make the decision to turn the team colours from brown and gold to black and gold.  Good call.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I was first introduced to the Canucks when I was a little kid going to BU hockey games at Walter Brown. I caught a puck that left the ice during one of the games and when I flipped it over it was the stick in rink logo. I thought it looked pretty cool but had no idea what it represented. The guy behind me noticed it and said it was a Canucks puck. (I also got a RI Reds puck that season) After a while BU started putting a Terrier logo on pucks but it was a cool way to be introduced to a team so far away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I have to say, the alternate jerseys the Bruins used, I think you refer to it as "the pooh bear", was brutal. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Agreed.  I sent an email in asking for the person who designed it to be fired. No lie. Their 3rd jersey now is solid. They really need to just go back to the late 60s model.  It was the best. Or just use the '91/'92 75th Anniversary one as the 3rd jersey:

the thing i like about their current jerseys is they look a lot like the 60's style jersey (very old school).  i'd love to see the 75th anniversary jersey as a 3rd jersey.  i can't believe they only wore those for a few games.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gymrat11. Show gymrat11's posts

your posts are so meaningless , ridiculous . Never in my life I 've seen a moron with  so many non sense replies. Consult if you 're not already in an institution because you are really pitiful. In your case it's an emergency ...hurry! PS: it's not related to this post but all of them!
    Posted by WeCanKnockTheBruins

You should read your own posts DB

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scotland19. Show scotland19's posts

I think this logo is most appropriate for the Vanucks

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Anyone who posts as much as him has some time on their hands.  When I put him on ignore a few weeks ago he had only been a member for 6 weeks and had over 1500 posts.  I pretty sure he's sitting in a locked room somewhere.

Personally I hate all the jersey changes.  Its simply a way to make more money.  "Oh, jersey sales are down, well lets design a new one!"  Its a bunch of BS.  As far as the nucks go, I liked their "Flying skate" logo the best, but its what I grew up seeing.  Im not a fan of the teal & green.  NOT good hockey colors in my opinion.  And Bostons Poo-Bear was HORRIBLE!  Cant BELIEVE people bought that P.O.S.  I used to tell my wife it was a way to tell fans from frauds.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yah, the pooh bears jersies made me want to gouge my eyes out.

I wish the Bruins would wear the 1970's socks with white stripes home and away rather than the current black.

And I wish they would put the stripe back on the pants.  What is it these days with plain  pants that almost every team wears?

Which is the best I can say for the Vancouver uniforms that have the stripe on the pants.

Otherwise it was an indentity crisis from day 1 for the Canucks.  What does the rink/stick logo really mean?  other than a generic symbol for hockey?

What symbol can you develop that really expresses a Canuck?  I think the first temptation is to put a big C on the jersey with some other letter on the inside, but...  yah, too much like the habs...

It's high time the Canucks find a really appropriate logo and stick with it, but that's tough since the etymology of the word Canuck is unclear and there is no clear cut object which people immediately identify as a Canuck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=01199be39e07896d21902c3bbfab4f36&plckUserId=01199be39e07896d21902c3bbfab4f36">
    First: 5/28/2011
    Last: 6/15/2011
    Posted by red75

I agree;  consistency in the look of a team is a great thing.  I wish that the Canucks had kept the original green/blue with the original logo.  It's a classic look that still works today.

I'm with you on this one--- The Canucks best Uni's are there Original ones with Blue/Green-- or their current 3rd Jersey.

What gets me is the Color Changes--- both Vancouver and Buffalo--- what were they thinking?  Add Pittsburgh to that too--- but I understood that one to an extent since both the Steelers and Pirates also used the Black and Gold so the Penguins switch was somewhat plausible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeCanKnockTheBruins. Show WeCanKnockTheBruins's posts

Riding:

your posts are so meaningless , ridiculous . Never in my life I 've seen a moron with  so many non sense replies. Consult if you 're not already in an institution because you are really pitiful. In your case it's an emergency ...hurry! PS: it's not related to this post but all your posts are absurd ...keep on eating burgers 
    obese trisomic!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

If I had to pick one logo, for the Canucks to keep for the rest of eternity, it would be the current alternate logo, which is an update of the original "C"/stick-in-rink concept.  To me, it's simple (a requirement for any logo: an 8-year old should be able to draw a decent version of it), clearly signifies hockey (in two ways), and also clearly shows a "C".

The Bruins logo, though simple, doesn't have any hockey references (unless you assume the overall shape is a puck).  The "Hub of the Universe" thing is a bit self-aggrandizing, but if that's what early Boston boosters thought of the city, then so be it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

and please hide those black and yellow teeth it's disgusting! i'm sure your breath smells old fish like your wife's panties.
    Posted by WeCanKnockTheBruins

Are these "jokes" original or do you have a 10 year old write your material for you? A little tip for you, jokes are supposed to make people laugh. I'm not sure what reaction you're going for......
    GO BRUINS!!!!!!!! 1 MORE WIN!!!!!!!!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Canucks fans are just an embarrassment. The Bs logo is a classic which has been worn by countless NHL greats.
    The original Vancouver logo- a giant hockey strick inside a hockey rink. Wow. Genius. In fact from memory they dumped that logo becuase it was synomynous with loserville. Then followed a succession of crass ugly uniforms which catolgued one identity crisis after another.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I like stability when it comes to jerseys. The NBA changes jerseys at least once a month, because their fans for the most part will buy jerseys rather than feed the numerous kids they have out of wedlock.

Top 5 NHL jerseys.

1. Canadiens
    2. Blackhawks
    3. Nordiques
    4. Avalanche 3rd
    5. Penguins 3rd

Top 5 worst
    1. Canadines throwbacks the striped ones..gross
    2. Canucks yellow
    3. Lightning 3rd
    4. Bruins pooh bear
    5. Thrashers 3rd...doesnt even have original color